You are here

SO lets kid crawl in bed IN BETWEEN us when she has a bad dream..........

Michel71's picture

Hello all. I don't know if anybody has experienced this or feel the same way as I do but I just don't like it when my SO lets his kid crawl IN BETWEEN US when she has a bad dream. Now I surely understand that kids have bad dreams and need to sleep with a parent now and again. Happened to me when I was a kid. The problem is: why does the kid have to be in the middle. I don't want to have to sleep next to her. She pushes and squirms and I don't like the psychological message of her being allowed to "come in between us". Why can't she just crawl in on his side. I am hesitant to approach the subject with my SO as all things relative to his little princess causes a big fight. I have posted other things on this forum but basically he treats this girl who almost 12 like a 4 year old and she acts accordingly. It ranges from the bizarre to the embarrassing like allowing her to suck her thumb, take dolls out with her in public, is inconsistent with his parenting re: duties around the house, picking up after herself, bathing herself and grooming and would love for me to be her personal maid. I have set my limits, have communicated those to both he and his daughter, and had to stand my ground even when he gets mad at me about it. I get so frustrated and I love this site because me being able to vent here has literally saved a lot of fights between my and my SO. Oooh I am so worked up today and didn't get much sleep last night. I actually left the room after she was practically on top of me and went to another bedroom! What should I say to my SO, if anything? Thanks.

furkidsforme's picture

After about 4-5, no child needs to be crawling in bed with a parent. Ever.

I recall having a really bad nightmare at about 7 when we moved to a new house. I went in my parents room to ask to sleep in bed, and promptly got sent back to my own bed. My mom came with and tucked me in and stayed a bit, but even under those circumstances and a new house it was not allowed.

Almost 11 and crawling in bed? He is infantilizing her.

I would put my foot down. That is so wrong and I think he needs to think about how a teacher or doctor might interpret this and report it to authorities if the daughter tells them she crawls in bed and sleeps with her dad. I, for one, would suspect a child of the tween years that sleeps with Dad to be being sexually abused because most children that age would not voluntarily agree to it unless something in their psyche was amiss. Sorry.

just.his.wife's picture

Would you like a copy of the $8,000.00 orthodontic bill my DH has due to allowing his kid to thumb suck to age 12?

And get the kid out of the bed. Have him go sleep in her twin size if it is a hill he is willing to die on. A few nights as a pretzel will change his thought process.

Michel71's picture

You know that is a good point about the 8k ortho bill. She already has poor oral hygiene to boot. As for the sexual abuse, no. It's just that he treats her like a baby and she acts like it. UGH. This kid is going to cost us a fortune whether or not it is dental or therapy. It is not her fault I know. It is her father's. Hope he finds a way to make extra money to afford all her treatment!

Michel71's picture

I know that there is a 75% chance that if I bring it up tonight we will have a fight. I have been stewing about it all day He has been at work and comes home tired and unwilling to discuss "heavy issues". This is an ongoing dynamic problem in our relationship but if he brings it up I will say something. I know that I won't put up with this sleeping arrangement. Should I say something to the SD? She is old enough I think.

Michel71's picture

I agree that she needs to be walked back into her room and that my SO should sleep with her there if he wants to. She is waking both of us up and he should at least have some idea that I need my sleep too.

Willow2010's picture

Tell your SO....

"SO..I just can't sleep when SD gets in bed with us. And I NEED my sleep. Can YOU go to her room when she has a bad dream? Or better yet...since she is almost 12, she may need to start staying in her bed when she has a nightmare."

Michel71's picture

Willow...yes...good dialog. I will try and keep my words fact specific and non threatening to his parenting styles. The marital bed needs to be preserved!

Willow2010's picture

The marital bed needs to be preserved!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I totally agree!! But I would not say that. lol. Mainly because he sounds very defensive so it will set him off. I would just let him know how it is so uncomfortable for you that you can not sleep. That way he looks like a douche if he lets it continue.

Michel71's picture

Yes. I can see your point. I just spent 15 minutes in the shower trying to plan a non-threatening approach to raising the issue. Truthfully I am pissed off just having to take that time to plan it out. I should be attending to my needs today. Instead, I am fuming and getting more and more in a nasty mood. I told myself I was going to try and ignore some of the kid's behaviors to have greater harmony in the house but honestly it just seems to build up to the point where I can tolerate NOTHING. I don't want to be passive aggressive and I generally don't consider myself to be. I am a straight shooter kind of person but my SO is so easily offended and sensitive and does not like confrontation. We have two different fighting styles. But this should not HAVE TO BE a fight but anything involving his daughter or money causes a fight. We don't really agree on either. Now of course there are so many wonderful things about him and US AS A COUPLE and those things outweigh the bad but man when I am in the thick of it as I am now, I feel like throwing in the towel sometimes. In the last few days the kid's behavior has really gotten on my nerves as she is not expected to do anything and won't pick up after herself. She leaves things around all over the house without any regard to anybody else's space. I always have to remind her to pick her things up etc. I always do it in a nice way. I use please and thank you and use "sweetie" between my teeth but I hold it together. Today I got fed up with her leaving this stupid little school art thing in the kitchen. IT was part of her homework so she said but didn't make any effort to put it in her bookbag. So I threw it in the trash. I know that is passive aggressive but I feel she needs consequences. My SO certainly doesn't take care of her things so why should I. If she gets in trouble for not producing it at school so be it. I have taken to throwing out many of her little papers of drawings etc that my SO lets her leave around. It feels good when I trash them.
How do I buck up before my SO and SD get home? The way I am feeling now I just want to hide in our bedroom. And I am pissed really at both of them.

Tuff Noogies's picture

chronic sleep deprivation will do that to ya. "it just seems to build up to the point where I can tolerate NOTHING" i promise you it affects everything. i went through that for quite some time and tolerated it far longer than i should have. but at least the cosleeping's really no longer the issue anymore. (now it's the 2x a night interruptions that's killing me!!)

Bojangles's picture

Well, I often think it's a bit harsh when small children are banned from the parental bed as they naturally like to feel close to their mum or dad and cuddle up in bed sometimes, but, 11 is NOT a small child. SD is approaching puberty and will probably start her period in the next couple of years. She needs appropriate personal and physical space as she matures into a teenager. A quick cuddle is ok but not sleeping in bed with you most of the night! On top of that is the fact that everyone needs a good nights sleep to function properly. While I would let my 4 or 6 year olds doze in bed with DH and I for a while if they were ill or upset or had had an accident, I can't sleep properly with a child taking up space in the bed and they always get gently taken back to their own bed after a while.

Having said all this, god only knows how you are going to pursuade DH who will probably be horrified at the idea of his little girl growing up and is trying to hold back the tide by maintaining habits and behaviours which preserve his idea of her as a little girl. Maybe your best tack is to focus on the fact that as the most important man in her life he needs to lead the way in establishing her sense of appropriate contact and behaviour with men and boys as she grows. I'm sure there must be some books on girls and puberty which might give you some good ways of communicating this, and head in sand husbands sometimes take things on board from a 3rd party source that they can't or won't accept from their partner.

Michel71's picture

Yes Bojangles you are right indeed. My man needs to mull over things awhile before he gets it and doesn't like to give into me right away. It is especially better if he gets it from a third party, although he is defensive by nature. I just had a phone conversation with him. Told him I didn't like what happened last night. He didn't get mad but basically said that he is not going to wake up to take his little girl back to bed when he has to get up at 5. I told him then she needs to sleep on his side next to him and not in between us. I was fuming. I knew it would go like this. I stopped talking before I lost control and just changed the subject. It will come up again. Most likely he will take some time to process it and then we will discuss it. I am not going to put up with it though. I am standing my ground. I just feel like one day we are going to be at the final standoff where it will be a "her or me" scenario. IF that happens, I am OUTTA HERE.

Bojangles's picture

If his argument is that he doesn't want to disrupt HIS sleep by getting up and taking her back to bed, then you should point out that he's sacrificing YOUR sleep instead, because you can't sleep with her taking up all the space in the middle of the bed! And you also have to get up and go to work the next day. Speaking from my experience as a mother of 3 young children it's a lot better to get out of bed for 5 minutes to put the child back, and then return and have several hours good deep sleep, than to avoid getting up and then have several hours poor quality sleep in which you keep being disturbed because you're all cramped in together. She is losing out on quality sleep too and studies show that children perform worse at school if they haven't had enough sleep. The real solution is to tell SD to stop waking everybody up in the middle of the night and stay in her own bed, then nobody has to get up, but if he chooses to let her get in then it's his responsibility to return her to her bed afterwards! Honestly if his argument is about not disturbing sleep then that's going to be a lot easier for you to defeat than a paranoid emotional 'I can't turn my baby out of bed' argument.

Michel71's picture

Oh Bojangles I so agree! LOL It's times like these when I can't believe how selfish he can be. We did get into an argument. Now we have gone to separate corners. Actually I am better that way. I did manage to have a good conversation with my SD about her thumb sucking. I did research on how thumb sucking past the stage of baby teeth can cause the arch of the mouth to change to the point that when orthodontia is needed the jaw has to be broken. I told her about this and how much I love her and don't want her to be teased. I told her to think about it. At certain points she looked like she wanted to cry but then I smiled and said something funny and we laughed about it. She may still go to my SO and cry about it later which could another fight but I don't really care. She is 10 so I feel like she does understand things and deserves the respect of knowing the truth.
My SO does not seem to care about my sleep; rather, he cares about his daughter's needs and his needs over my own. We are not living together at the moment but going back and forth thousands of miles away to visit each other. This will change in about 3 months. He has on more than one occasion "threatened" in anger that perhaps we should not move it together and that he should stay where he is. I guess looking at it I have more issues than the marital bed!

Bojangles's picture

Are you moving to him or is he moving to you? He seems to be harbouring a selfish determination not to consider even perfectly reasonable changes to sleeping arrangements that you need to thrive and feel at home. Even worse he is trying to overcome your opinions by threatening to withdraw from the relationship. IMO you need a more secure foundation than that on which to base a move thousands of miles.

Only you can know the strength of your feelings and the strength of his, but if he has threatened to call off moving in together, and done it more than once, then that would be a red light for me. I might make the move despite arguments if the other person demonstrated some willingness and ability to understand my feelings and compromise, but if arguments repeatedly result in threats to call off plans, then it suggests that this man is not ready or willing to make the compromises that will be needed for your relationship to work as parent and stepparent. Which is a great shame as your handling of the thumb sucking conversation sounds like you have a lot to bring to him and his daughter.

Think carefully about what you're doing because you are in a much better position to effect change and address problems while you have your independence than you would be if you moved everything to be with him, and ended up more dependent on him. Act in haste, repent at leisure as the saying goes. I would pull the rug out from under him because he sounds like my DH - horrendously arrogant in an argument. Don't 'threaten' not to move in together, tell him you are concerned that he is not ready to share his life, because he's not ready to make any compromises and keeps withdrawing his support for moving in together. Tell him you can't risk your life on someone who is not committed and that you both need to step back and consider your position. Then leave him to stew.

Michel71's picture

Widget...hats off to you or as they say in the states..." YOU GO GIRL".
Bojangles....He is moving to me and will be living in MY HOUSE. We had this idea it would eventually be our house ( I would put him on title) but the way the relationship has gone ( his threats to end it) I am insecure about its future so I WILL NOT PUT HIM ON. This will remain my separate property. The funds will be kept separate. I might even ask him to sign a post nup. If he does not want to then I guess I know why. He often tells me that he worries that I will try to Lord over him with money since I make more ( for now) and he will be in school but not working as much. He still makes a great income even if its part time. I suggested we keep our finances separate. He initially wanted to be the family's money manager and I agreed seeing as he has an accounting degree ( that is not what he does for a living) and plus I thought that would help his pride a bit since he was feeling a bit insecure by not being able to fully contribute. Strangely he was also worried that I would dictate his spending and that giving him an allowance ( it was really a set amount that both of us would take for spending money each month) would be degrading. I kept thinking of it as a mutual budget to which both of us stuck too. Now, however, I do not feel the same way and think we each should manage our own money.
I am convinced no matter who makes what we need to keep our finances separate.
What do you think?
Anybody have separate finances because they do not agree on money?

Widget's picture

Yep. The house is mine, the majority of the income is mine and 2/3 of the people living there are his.

I don't think i'll ever marry, but i'll also never put him on the title or complicate things even more by combining our income. I do the bills, which might actually be a mistake because I think he severely under-estimates how much I contribute to him and his son.

He, on the other hand, does all the cooking and that alone has me the envy of everyone I know Smile Some days.. it's not much of a trade-off.. i remember being single and a short haul to McDonald's was just as satisfying with less dishes and complaining Smile

hereiam's picture

I have been with my husband for 17 years, SD's are grown so no CS, and we still have separate finances. It works for us.

Michel71's picture

Well it doesn't look good for us....as of tonight anyway. I tried to approach the issue again of the sleeping in our bed and got met with a lot of hostility. I then switched tact and told him that it doesn't help things when he threatens to stay where he is at every time we argue. It went from bad to worse and he told me to " F OFF". This guy is a real hot head when he is mad but can be sweet as pie when he is not. He accused me of being in a bad mood and taking it out on him when he got home. He always says that when we have an issue I want to discuss. Tonight, however, I think I needed to be heard on the sleeping thing. He said basically 5 times loudly " I AM A PARENT, I AM A PARENT' and said that just because he has an "asshole" partner he is not going to stop being one.
Then he told me that I know " F all" about thumb sucking anyway. LOL. I gotta laugh actually. It has become ridiculous at this point.

Michel71's picture

Oh one more thing, I did manage to get in that I WILL NOT TOLERATE KIDS IN THE MARITAL BED. I don't know if he viewed this as a deal breaker but he did not respond to it. Guess the ball is in his court so to speak. I am entitled to my boundaries surely.

Bojangles's picture

Michel7 I'm going to assume that this guy has some excellent qualities and CAN be loving and attentive. BUT, repeating yourself loudly to drown out the other person is something my 4 year old does to my 6 year old when he gets cross. Honestly it does not sound like he has the necessary maturity and confidence as a parent to discuss and handle the many, many, MANY issues that will come up when there is a child involved. And there really are hundreds of these issues ahead of you.

He's not even prepared to start off discussing the issue calmly and hear what you have to say. And he clearly sees you as the enemy of his role as parent, that's why he's chanting 'I am a parent' at you. Stopping his daughter from sleeping in your bed does not stop him from being a parent. The fact that he sees it as a threat to his parenting shows how insecure he is. The insecure Dads are the worst, always overcompensating and lashing out at anyone who tries to prevent them salving their conscience. You're going to end up financially subsidising someone who can't get over their parental anxiety enough to respect your opinion on anything to do with his daughter.

I'm not going to lie to you, I've been through a lot of this defensive crap with my DH and we're still together. In the early years we rowed over everything from why he wouldn't send the children to bed at a reasonable hour, giving us no alone time and exhausting them for the next day, to why they were not made to lift a finger and DH felt the need to clear their plates away for them after dinner. The most rational requests 'can't they put their own plates in the dishwasher' were treated like hostile attacks on his children and his parenting. It's deeply hurtful and demoralising to have the person you love treat you like the enemy when you're just trying to have an equal say in the home, and are actually trying really hard to make things work with his children. Tog summarises it perfectly when she says that if he can't respect your feelings, he's not grown-up enough to be in a relationship with you.

Looking back my DH then BF had no idea what he was doing or how to deal with his insecurity over his relationship with his children. We both would have benefitted from reading a lot of books on the subject and having counselling a lot earlier than we actually did. Now we survived, and there has been a lot of happiness along the way, not least from our own beautiful children, but it was a long, arduous and at times traumatic process and that was just the battles with DH, not even counting the relentless emotional and practical effort involved in being a stepparent to his children. If I had my time again I would have quit a lot earlier, and hopefully met some lovely uncomplicated guy with no emotional baggage to have my children with!

Executivestepmother's picture

We put a blanket on the floor in our bedroom when SD was 4/5 and if she wanted to come in the room, she could but had to sleep in the floor.

Creepy- sleeping with someone that isn't your parent? Yuck! and No way!

SD6 isn't allowed in our bedroom anymore. It's only my space!

Michel71's picture

Just Wow and Tog...you do have a point. I have been doing a lot more thinking about this. I am going to sit down with my SO and talk about moving. We have done the back and forth for a long time, made great financial (mostly me) , personal and professional sacrifices to be together, finally got married and are at the point to start our lives. He is moving to me and changing his life and his daughter's. He will be moving with his daughter. This is what both of us have wanted and planned for. There is a lot of love and we all really do have a lot of fun together as a family but......he and I have different ideas about how his daughter should be raised ( namely not like a baby, should be held accountable, encouraged to mature and take on responsibilities, think beyond herself, etc). This is a constant source of arguments that never get resolved. Like you said, these issues won't magically go away when he moves. They will compound most likely. IT is how we deal with it as a couple, how we communicate, which is not well, as he is prone to immature outbursts and is verbally abusive. I dread confrontation with him but I am the type of person who is cannot avoid or just sweep things under the rug.
We both need to think about some things. He needs to think about the degree to which he can really live with someone else who may have opinions divergent of his regarding his daughter. Can he really accept the ways of another and honor/respect their personal boundaries? He always has the "rifle on the shoulder" willing to blast someone who dare disagrees with his parenting. Will he ever trust me, his spouse, and put it down? Will he want to keep his marriage second or subordinate to his the relationship with his children?
I need to think about whether I will continue to tolerate this verbal abuse, emotional immaturity and defensiveness when we have issues. I don't feel very secure in the relationship and feel that it has a high degree of failure at the rate we are going. The more he slings his vile words at me, the more I see him as vile. I admit that I am losing a bit more respect for him as time goes on and sometimes question his respect for me. More money, more emotions will be invested if we stay together ( as most relationships go) but if it has a high chance of failure should I cut my losses and end it now?
We are different. He has had only a few relationships in his life and his last marriage was horrible. He endured the worst type of situation, a drunken cheating spouse. who in the end actually left him. He admittedly would have stayed and not filed for divorce due to his religious beliefs. In my past relationships and especially in my last marriage ( to a drunk as well) I was the one to call it off AND QUICKLY. I won't stick around for more misery once I know it's over.

Bojangles's picture

Your DH sounds a lot like mine and the more you say the more I understand why your posts have caught my attention. My DH also had a drunken cheating spouse, and a difficult time as a child with an overbearing aggressive mother. Those kinds of experiences create huge underlying control and anger issues, which may not be evident during the honeymoon stage of a relationship. I naively put a lot of our conflict in the early years down to the stresses of the situation with his ex and his children, then to his drinking, then after he stopped drinking to 'our' problems dealing with conflict. But ultimately it was nothing to do with the particulars of the argument, or what I said and did, he was damaged in some way and unable to achieve normal discussion and compromise over stressful issues, because he was operating from a place of fear, fear of being controlled or dominated or alienated from his children. 'We' did not have problems dealing with conflict, he did.

It was like a rollercoaster, we would be loved up and happy for weeks or months then triggers like his parenting, his children, his ex, money, would result in the most bewildering arguments in which he appeared to hear nothing I said, lost sight of me as a person he loved, and would lash out verbally or withdraw emotionally. It's a recipe for disaster when someone with control and anger issues is put in a position where they need to compromise and negotiate and change, AND encourage their child to do so. Because they will also interpret your behaviour as an attempt to control and attack their child/children. Ultimately he has to be responsible for addressing his issues, which is why my DH now sees a counsellor.

If any of this rings a bell with you then I strongly suggest that you have a come to Jesus talk with DH and try to get him to accept that he has a problem, and get some counselling for it. Because regardless of whether you stay together it will affect any future relationship he has. Don't move in together, there are way too many risks for all involved and he will feel even more vulnerable on your turf, and therefore even more prone to anger and defensiveness. At some point his daughter will see the way he behaves with you, and that will affect her expectations about how a woman should be treated by her partner. Would he want his daughter spoken to the way he speaks to you? Think carefully about whether this relationship is worth the huge amount of work and effort that would be required to address both his problems and the day to day stresses of stepfamily life.

Michel71's picture

Thanks for the comments. I wrote an email to my SO laying everything out. I didn't sugar coat anything but I don't think I was rude either. I listed my concerns and my fears. I also sent him some articles on kids sleeping in the marital bed. He actually had sent me one last night but conveniently left out all the other comments on a blog and I copied and pasted those to him so he could see that the majority of the bloggers were AGAINST IT. If I was a betting woman I would say that he will read my words which I so carefully laid out and misinterpret them. He might even think I want to end the relationship. Will he end the relationship because of this? I dunno. I won't try to stop him if he does. That will be his choice, his loss and his failure. And that is about all I can do. Thank you all again for encouraging me to have my boundaries and supporting me. Any other comments would of course be welcomed. I realize that this is turning more into drama than a constructive discussion on a subject so I apologize for that.

Michel71's picture

Update. He read my emails. Responded at great length telling me a bunch of horrible things. Name calling including "Immature and bully".Turned my words around and made himself the victim. Interpreting what I said in the worst possible light. I am temped to post the emails here, but I won't. In so many words he said that he is not coming and our marriage is over. Told me that he does not like telling a partner to " F OFF" but didn't apologize for it. Told me to find someone who doesn't have kids. Oh yeah, I that I ruined his children's dreams of moving out of state.
A tactic he uses all the time is to turn my heartfelt feelings into something awful and flip the whole thing around to how he is the victim.
I was pretty sure this would happen. I don't know where to go from here and I guess there is not much more I can do.
I feel numb right now, for some reason even scared. Not scared physically just scared. I feel given up on and completely disrespected. Feelings invalidated. I guess he really does not care. I put my soul into this relationship. How am I going to explain to all my friends and family what has happened? How do I return to work and cope? I am at a loss. I am lost.

Bojangles's picture

<> I am so so sorry. But I have to tell you that his seeing himself as the victim is also a classic symptom of the verbal abuser. He justifies his behaviour because he feels HE is defending himself from an abuser, because he doesn't understand that the way he sees and reacts to you is the cause of the problem.

I know right now you feel horrified and miserable and directionless, you've had a huge shock. But in unearthing this behaviour now and confronting it you have probably saved yourself years of disrespectful hurtful conflict with someone who cannot accept that he has a problem. In that sense you have had a lucky escape, because the co-sleeping issue that was the subject of your post really was just the tip of the iceberg. I really recommend that you read some books on verbal abuse as they will reassure you about your experiences and confirm that you have done the right thing, Patricia Evans has written several good books on how to recognise and deal with the behaviour. One word of warning, it is highly likely that once his anger dies down he will try to brush this under the rug and reconcile with you, with a lot of promises about how it will never happen again. Don't fall for it, unless he gets professional help this behaviour is who he is and he will not change. It's all part of the cycle.

Michel71's picture

Bojangles...your post was dead bang on. He told me I was the control freak. He is the master of projection and yes our spouses do seem alike. Mine, unfortunately won't consider counseling. So I guess he does not love me enough to stay in the relationship and try to work it out. Seems to me that he is done. I even tried to talk to him after I got his email. He flipped things around again, told me that I have a problem with him loving his daughter ( HUH????) Told me that he did not trust me after I told him " how can I trust you to stay with me, to get embroiled financially with you when you constantly threaten to end the relationship when we fight?" Made the trust issue all about how he feels. There were red flags with this guy early on and I see it ever more clearly now. This is a heartbreaker. How he can tell me things like he has never loved anybody like me and I am perfect for him, etc, etc. and then just throw our relationship away is mind boggling.

Michel71's picture

Thank you WOW, BOJANGLES and Brie....your posts were really comforting. I am trying to stay unemotional here and balanced. I have been online with some of my contacts but I honestly feel like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. I heard him banging around our bedroom moving things. I think he was getting rid of anything to do with us as a slightly mad physical way to purge himself of me as soon as possible. I didn't go it. I don't physically fear him I just don't want to subject myself to further verbal abuse.
One of my friends suggested that he might be a borderline personality disorder. He had a really abusive childhood, doesn't have any friends because everybody disappoints him and he is has cut off his family ( well he says they cut him off, so now I wonder).
He is downstairs banging around now. Probably drinking. The little girl is with his ex and thank God for that. Poor thing, I wouldn't want her privy to any of this.
At any point I feel that he might burst into my room ( the guest room) and demand that I leave his house. I am not sure where to go. It is a residential area but I can call a taxi.
I wish we could talk this out like reasonable rational adults but he is neither. I also question the adult part at least in emotional maturity. Geez we just celebrated our 6 month wedding anniversary last week. And my birthday is this Saturday. Last year on my birthday I was signing hospice papers for my dying mother. I had no idea I would be ending my marriage with the man i thought was my soul mate.
Thank you for your suggestions especially on how to handle my friends/workmates. There was a lot of people weighing in that this relationship would not work out because it was long distance and so many changes had to be made for us to be together. I hate the fact that some will be thinking ( if not saying ) "I told you so". Like you said I need not care about that really.
I am not sure he will want to make up or even apologize. We have never broken up before so I don't know. It seems the more I know the less i know. He is spiteful and isolating of others so I guess I just might fall into the category of casualties along the way.
I feel like this is a bad dream.

Michel71's picture

Bojangles I read your post again from earlier describing your husband. Yes. It is exactly like mine. It is uncanny. You have a lot of great insight. Thank you so much for your helpful comments!

Michel71's picture

Thank you all SO MUCH for your kind words of support and advice to stay strong and keep my head held high. Since your responses,he wrote me an email basically repeating the same things like I am immature and twisting my original email around to suit his distorted views. He really flipped out that I was not going to put him on the house saying that he wants to be a marriage where the two people share everything, bla bla bla. This is from a guy who stuck the middle finger at our budget and took his daughter on a $3500 trip just because I could not join him out of state that week. Tonight it is late, I am tired, but strangely I have greater clarity that I have had in months. I wrote him back and addressed some of his distortions but basically said that if he doesn't want to be with me then so be it. I didn't get emotional. He didn't see my cry tonight as before when we have argued. I just simply retreated to the guest room.
Let me respond to the health thing. Funny Brie you mentioned this. Since my mom died my health took a crap. My previously well controlled blood pressure was suddenly immune to the current med i was taking to regulate it and was fluctuating wildly. After about 2 different ones, it finally became stable. My neck went out. I lost strength in my arms and an MRI showed a C6 issue. I was also having terrible intestinal problems. Just a few weeks ago I had to go into the hospital for an emergency colonoscopy/ endoscopy which revealed a hiatal hernia. So yes, perhaps a combination of all of this has led me down the poor health track. Previously I was healthy and fit. But I am determined to get back on the road to good health. I have been seeing a therapist so that is in place. I am going back to work ( I actually had to take some sick leave time) so it will be nice to get back into the swing of things.
I have been reading online about emotional abuse. Funny, I never saw it coming! Seems like things kicked up into high gear after the honeymoon. But we dated for two years and saw each other very frequently for long periods of time even though we lives miles apart. Yes, there were some red flags but I just thought that he was insecure a bit because of his last divorce and if I could love him enough, he would calm down and not take things so personally. I couldn't do enough for the guy. The more I would do, the more he raised the stakes and nothing seemed enough to prove my love and devotion to him.
I am turning 50 on Saturday. Yes, 50. You would think I should know better at my age. But I have learned one thing, I am not going to stick around in a bad relationship. So yes, I am going home to process things. The way I feel now if he doesn't want to make some serious changes including counseling, I am done.
Thank you all again.

Michel71's picture

Echo...before we got married and when we first met and were dating, his little girl was 7. Once in awhile she would come into our bed after a bad dream and sleep with us. I didn't like it but she was smaller, we were a new couple and I gave in. Fast forward to now, she is older, a chunky little thing and it is more intolerable. Last visit, she came in once and he asked her to sleep at the foot of the bed. Again, I did not like it but it was a pretty bad dream. This visit, he tells her to sleep in the middle and I am not going to take it anymore. He is just doing that because he is too damn lazy to wake up and deal with her. Then he accuses me of not allowing him to cuddle his daughter! HUH? WHAT?
HIs flipping out and controlling style strangely enough manifested after the honeymoon was over. He kept saying it was the stress of us being apart. I knew that he was used to getting his way, a bit spoiled and was defensive but I figured that with time he would learn to really trust me with his feelings especially after we tied the knot. Now I am not perfect. We both are strong personality types but I choose my words carefully and have had therapy before so I come with a better "fighting style" if you will. I never put him down. I always try to get him to talk but he becomes hostile if I push him on it. He has a really hard time acknowledging my feelings and is quite selfish by nature but these qualities too really ramped up after the honeymoon.
His drinking also increased after the honeymoon to him drinking a few times a week to every night ( at least a whole bottle of wine) and sometimes drunk on the weekends.
He has a lot of demons from his past. He was severely sexually abused. He doesn't "believe" in therapy.
I am a rescuer. I have always fallen for these type of guys. I need to get myself some help on that.
Yes, I think the only thing that could possibly save us now is couples therapy but that is unlikely to happen. Plus, the way I am feeling now, all my alarm bells are ringing at full blast. At any rate, I am very ready to go back home. My departing will be very difficult under the circumstances so I want it to be as melodrama free as it possibly could be. Any suggestions for that?

Bojangles's picture

Patricia Evans writes that it is very common for the behaviour to suddenly emerge once some trigger makes the abuser feel more secure in your attachment to him. She suggests that verbally abusive men often have a 'dream woman' who represents everything they want and have been denied in previous traumatic relationships. At some point, sometimes when they get engaged, sometimes on the wedding day, sometimes on or after the honeymoon, they make a transition where they subconsciously invest that 'dream woman' in you, and then experience huge anger when you disrupt their attachment to that fantasy by challenging or confronting them over things. Drinking, avoiding you, pretending nothing is going on are all ways of rejecting the 'you' that doesn't suit his vision.

Beware couples counselling, the verbally abusive man is so invested in his behaviour and convinced that he is the victim of your unreasonable behaviour that he will manipulate couples counselling and you end up feeling like you're going mad - at home his behaviour is clearly abnormal and abusive, in front of a counsellor he will appear calm, concerned and victimised. Couples counselling is predicted on the assumption that it takes two to create conflict and there is mutual responsibility for problems. That is not the case in a relationship with a verbal/emotional abuser. He needs one to one counselling with someone experienced in those issues.

You are WAY ahead of me, I had no clue about any of this and went into my marriage with DH completely blind. I am also a rescuer/fixer, but I had no experience of this extreme kind of behaviour or how to address it. Like your husband mine was in denial about the trauma from his childhood and never addressed it. His first wife was a heavy drinker, also from a disfunctional family, it would have been hard to spot who had more problems. I was the one who was going to make it all better.

Your SO will probably continue in his current angry vein for at least a couple more days before the adrenalin dies down and he begins to experience fear and regret. So there is little point in trying to communicate with him or say goodbye. It will just be another upsetting experience and he will try to inflict more hurt. Pack and leave quietly and hopefully while he is out. Leave a note telling him you've left but don't bother with any analysis of the situation or suggestions or explanations of your feelings. He is literally incapable of understanding or hearing anything from you and it will fall on deaf ears, or refuel his hostility. The next stage will be self pity, he will appear grief stricken and deeply repentent but it won't be because he understands what he has done, it will be about him, because he is frightened of being alone and having all his hopes and plans dashed.

Michel71's picture

Echo...you bet slick...if he were a woman I would say she used her "feminine wilds". I was hoping that counseling would work but having read your posts and then going on some websites I see that it wont...at least couples counseling anyway. He likely won't go on his own. Funny he tries to be so introspective about certain things yet can't see his behavior or see a link to anything in his past. According to him, he triumphed over adversity and has become this super centered strong person that "does not need anybody to make (him) happy". Right.
I hate to think I was duped. Clearly I was. Somehow I want to blame myself for not being smarter. I guess that would be the wrong way to start healing from this.
I sent him an email basically copy and pasting an article on verbal abuse and another one on the difference between verbal abuse and plain ole anger. He accuses me of being a bully and says that is why he acts verbally abusive. Wow. Sounds like the battered wife thing..."SHE MADE ME DO IT". What a dick.
In this email and perhaps to salve my own conscience I gave him an ultimatum for couple's counseling. I know he will reject it. His big thing now ( he is way past the kid sleeping in bed which by the way he had NO compromise whatsoever on) is the fact that I will not put my dear new husband on title to my house which I bought before marriage. Until I am blue in the face I told him why. He keeps ignoring the facts and flips it around that he can't trust me now. HUH?
Anyway this is how it will go: he will read my emails and basically say "f U". He has already accused me of being so cruel to him the last few days that it has done drastic damage to our marriage. Hmmm. Again it is all me. Mostly I have stayed out of his hair and said very little except for the back and forth emails where I tried to be as tactful as possible. Ok so from there he will resurrect the "put me on title or you don't want this marriage" ultimatum. And I will say " ok you win". I will let him think that it is going to happen, get on a plane when he is out, return home and file divorce papers. I can't handle any more confrontation. I am spent. I will be nobody's door mat. I am trial attorney with a good job, nice house and wonderful life and like Kathy Griffin says...." He can suck it". LOL
Thank you again for your wonderful responses and help.

Bojangles's picture

On the question of being ‘duped’. If it makes you feel any better it is quite possible that your SO is completely oblivious to the patterns and motives in his own behaviour. There is a difference between the abuser who is innately an aggressive bully who thrives on deliberately controlling others, and the abuser whose behaviour is rooted in the abuse he has suffered in the past. The latter is controlled to a large extent by preconditioning which leads him to read negative motives into other’s behaviour and assert himself aggressively to prevent a recurrence of the pain and fear he experience in the past. The ‘switch’ when abusive incidents begin may not be a conscious decision on his part ‘oh I’ve got her now and I can treat her any way I like’ but the result of a whole lot of subconscious prejudices, paranoia and repressed anger which only emerge when his guard is down, he has committed to you, and he is then enraged when, in his mind, you let him down and turn against him as previous abusers did.

I am certain that no argument started out with DH deliberately trying to hurt or provoke me, but many ended up with him lashing out verbally and trying to hurt me because his personal triggers led him to turn discussions and arguments into a take no prisoners battle for control. I am a forceful personality and not one to back down in an argument so that pressed his buttons even further. His horrible behaviour, which occurred at sporadic intervals when high conflict issues came up, came from his childhood experiences with his mother, who was controlling and violent, and later with his first wife who was a manipulative liar. He once told me with barely repressed loathing that he would never have another woman telling him what to do. I had no idea just how significant that remark was. There were an awful lot of heartfelt apologies after the fact but he didn’t understand the causes and triggers for his behaviour, or really understand how abnormal his perception of relationships was, so of course it recurred. I can honestly say that when he finally read a book on verbal abuse the patterns of feelings and behaviour came as a complete revelation to him, and in some way as a relief. He is highly motivated to address his issues at this point, we have 3 young children, he adores them and he loves me, he does not want to go through the pain of divorce and separation from his children again. And he knows he has a problem.

Michel71's picture

As you can see by my other posts this sleeping in the bed thing got greatly overshadowed by larger marital problems! LOL. As to that issue though, he would not budge and told me he won't compromise at all.

hismineandours's picture

My kids slept in my bed when they were babies. I did do the whole co sleeping thing until they were about 6-9 months old. My youngest is 11 now-I honestly cant remember the last time she slept with me-its been years. When she did, it was when dh was out of town-which he was frequently. She is our joint child together as well.

Your dh is really harming his child. A youngster of this age needs privacy and her own personal space. It is necessary to separate your identity from your parents or you will grow up an emotionally stunted mess. She will never learn to deal with her own emotions-whether that be fear from a nightmare or something else-if dear daddy is always there to make it all better. Coping with emotions, fears-sleeping independently in your own bed are all life skills that all kids need to learn to be functioning adults in society. Perhaps ask your dh WHEN exactly he thinks it would be acceptable for skid to NOT sleep in your bed. 15? 18? Never?

Not to mention all the backlash this could cause. I don't know if there is a wicked bm lurking in the background that would love to report you guys to cps or cry sexual abuse-but you are putting yourself at risk here as well. A grown man really should know better. Men do get erections in the middle of the night. Think about how inappropriate it is to have a young lady in puberty in bed with him when this occurs.

Michel71's picture

Yes...and you and the other posters that mentioned allegations of sexual abuse could be brought by a jealous vengeful BM are right. Luckily, not listening to me though, he confided in a friend who told him the exact same thing. Now he no longer is insisting that she sleep in our bed after a bad dream; in fact, he is going to be doing EXACTLY what I asked him to do which is: she comes in, he takes her back to her room and comforts her.
Go figure!

NOT_a_stepmonster's picture

Didn't read any other posts but we had this situation and SD's fears were very real to her. We had the SD get hugs from Dad on the outside with me in my place in bed. Because we let her talk about the dream and wake up enough to realize it wasn't real she went back to bed on her own. If she chose to stay DH would have helped her back to her bed. She didn't come between us and she didn't sleep with us. I respect how DH dealt with it and feel his way of handling it made her feel supported but not in my place. Like or dislike the way we did it, She chose her independence and tackled her nightmares more and more by herself.

Also, perhaps her subconscious wish to come between us didn't occur so she didn't wish to come back eventually. Just a gradual solution to not losing your position.

Executivestepmother's picture

SD6 (she was 4 when I came around) NOT allowed in BED (Yuck and creepy random kids in your bed), the hot tub (That's my child free sanctuary,) in my office, in my bedroom or in my Mercedes.

It's your space... claim it!

random567's picture

You are not alone.

My step son just turned 11 and we only have him on weekends. Last year I moved in and even though SS has his own bedroom he always would sleep with us (not inbetween, on dad's side). This sent me in rages allll the time. I couldn't stand or understand it. Finally (maybe six to nine months ago) I put my foot down. I told my fiance that we needed that alone time in our bed and his son needed to learn about boundaries and dealing with his own space. I didn't want to lose my nights with my fiance and them both go into SS's room. This was a huge fight for the longest time and there was alot of "you just dont know what its like" and "how can you want to come between me and my son?" Slowly, he came to see my point. I am happy to report 90% of the nights that stepson is there, he sleeps in his own room and we sleep in ours. If there is ever a slip up it is my fiance falling asleep in SS's room.

It is possible!! I made it clear to my fiance how important our nights were to me, how important his son learning to sleep alone and comfort himself was and made some small sacrifices (We agreed to let him come camp out and watch a movie every once and a while in our room on Sunday mornings).

I think I was most upset because my fiance didnt and still doesnt (on other issues) see how much Ineeded him. I feel like it is so important and so hard to teach these kids to respect our relationships with their parents. Hope things are looking up.