You are here

Stepson Quits Job

LindaKjl's picture

So, my step-son, who BARELY made it through high school (had between 40-60 days worth of absences each and every year and countless tardies because he could not wake up in the mornings) just graduated this past May. The kid was soo far behind in his credits at the beginning of his senior year that I know in my heart there is no way he could have made everything up he needed. The school obviously pushed him through so it doesn't adversely affect them on their "record" and funding they get from the State. Oh well, at least the kid has a diploma.

Now up until graduation the kid has never worked a day in his life. He will be turning 19 this August.

4 weeks ago, one of his welding teachers called my husband and gave him the lead on a welding job. It was just a thankless production welding job in a factory, however, it was making GOOD money and full time. There is even overtime as he's working close to 60 hours a week. The kid has brought in close to $4,000 in FOUR weeks. He has worked this job just FOUR WEEKS now. Last night he came over and cried and whined to his Daddy that it's too much work and he didn't have any time to "play" with his friends. What does Daddy say...."oh, you're too young to be working all those hours, QUIT." AND THEN, to add insult to injury......Daddy tell's him this -- "OH, AND I'M SO PROUD OF YOU FOR WORKING THE FOUR WEEKS, you deserve to take a MONTH OR TWO OFF before you look for another job"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am completely dumbfounded. 19 years old and has only worked his entire life 4 weeks but he "deserves" to take a month or two off before he looks for another job.

WHAT PLANET AM I LIVING ON?????????

LindaKjl's picture

Yes, were are talking that kind of money for a 19 year old who barely made it through high school and will never further his education. The was a great opportunity for him.

Willow2010's picture

WOW!! My son is 19. He has worked at the same job since he was 16. He works between 25-35 hours a week and go to college full time. My son will make something of himself. Your SS will never amount to anything and it is your DH's fault. Weird man you got there.

paul_in_utah's picture

Sounds a lot like my SS21, aka Sluggo. Sluggo **just** got his first job, at the age of 21, working at Taco Bell. He had never worked a day in his life prior to that. Still doesn't have a driver's license, so people have to take him to work. I don't think he'll last very long there.

dontcallmestepmom's picture

Ah, you have the same type of skid I do. Mine are 19 and 20, have never worked. No licenses/cars. I don't understand the non-interest in even getting the license. They will need to be driven to any job, if they actually start looking for one. BM can do that-CS ended, so she may have to start being their chauffeur! Wink

hippiegirl's picture

I would be absolutely screaming at my DH right now! Please tell me this loser skid does not live in your house.

LizzieA's picture

Sounds like my SS exactly. Fortunately he lives with his mother 1200 miles away and he can live or die by his actions without it affecting us. Though I pray for his success in life.

You have a rough row there. Your DH favors his kids over you while you slave for them--classic doormat syndrome. Your SSs are louts and immature. But DH is your problem. I can predict that they will be hanging around for years to come and expecting Daddy to bail them out and support them.

Fortunately for my marriage, my DH has his head on straight, calls it like he sees it, and has a zero tolerance BS meter.

You don't need this. Don't accept it!

dontcallmestepmom's picture

You are on my planet, where the skids don't have to work. One of my DH's 3 does, but only part time, bc she says "only losers work full-time." The other 2 are 19 and 20 and have NEVER worked. They won't even look for jobs.

Your SS will probably never find that kind of money again. What a mistake he made! Too young? So, when he goes to his next job in a few months, and is offered one third of that salary, he won't want the job. I wonder what your DH will say then.

I feel for you. The great thing is my skids do not and never will live with us. NEVER. They are going to be sitting on their butts for the rest of their lives with your SS, if things do not change.