You are here

I can't compete against husband's adult children

LindaKjl's picture

Long story short, my husband's 25 year old son lost the tip of his finger while lifting heavy weights at a gym - THREE YEARS ago.  When the incident first happened the "story" was he was lifting the heaviest barbell at the guym and  "HE dropped it on the tip of his finger" causing him to have to go to the hospital and have the tip of his finger (about a 1/4 inch) removed.     Here's the issue.......husband and I have been married for 10 years.     I have worked at a personal injury law firm for 30 years - it's my career.     My husband immediately said "lawsuit"..   I said hold on a minute, your son said HE dropped the barbell himself because he was lifting one of hte heaviest weights at the gym.   HE signed a Consent when he took out the membership at the gym knowing the risks.    His son even went so far as to post a picture of his finger on social medica with a comment, "look what I did at the gym today, I dropped a barbell on my finger, oops".     Over the next week the story CHANGED that the gym switched out the racks for the weights and but kept the same weights.   Son now claims the weight fell off the new rack - which improperly didn't fit the old weights.     Anyway, I did not want to involve my law firm because HE CHANGED THE STORY.     He found his own lawyer and did get a nice settlement.   Again, this happened THREE YEARS AGO.    Last night, my husband brought this up that I didn't help his son out when he needed a lawyer and I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm talking about legally and it became a big fight and I AM THE BAD GUY over this.   In the original version of the story he would not have much of a case.   In the new version of the story, yes there is a case but since he changed the version, I didn't want to embarass myself at the place I work in case it became an issue, etc.    Since this is exactly the line of business I'm in, should I have made more of an effort to involved my own attorneys at the office I work at?       

tog redux's picture

You did what you felt was ethically correct because you knew SS was LYING; and your DH is a jerk for bringing it up as an issue 3 years later. And for calling you an idiot.

Why are you with this jackass?

susanm's picture

No way!  You have been working there for 30 years.  Ever hear the phrase "don't sh*t where you eat?"  If it had not worked out or if the kid had made a nuisance of himself it would have reflected on you.  The bottom line is that the kid did not have a legit case.  He got lucky in that the firm representing the gym either did not do their homework to find the facebook post erasure or they did not want to spend the cash so just gave him a "go-away settlement."  What he thinks of as "nice" is likely pocket change compared to what they would have paid to fight.

But as far as your husband bashing your legal knowledge, unless you are a licensed attorney it is not your job to evaluate a case.  An employee of a law firm can get in a lot of trouble by giving out their opinion on any legal issue and he should have grasped that fact by now.  He knows damned well that his kid got lucky by no one finding out about him changing his story and that you were smart not to have jeopardized your job by involving your firm.  What if the gym's firm actually had preferred to fight rather than settle and discovered his lie?  You were smart and his kid and his pathetic FINGER TIP is why insurance is so damned high for all of us!

caitlinj's picture

I was dealing with something similar in my situation. I tried my best to stay out of things when I could tell skid was lying or over exagerating about something and wanted to capitalize on it and manipulate. However I was attacked by my SO for wanting to stay out of it and told I was wrong and didnt know what I was doing, wasnt supportive etc. Yeah your husband is a jerk. I'm so glad I left mine when I did.  They will never see their kids for who they truly are and will attack us in the process for staying out of their self created messes.

Siemprematahari's picture

"Last night, my husband brought this up that I didn't help his son out when he needed a lawyer and I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm talking about legally and it became a big fight and I AM THE BAD GUY over this."

^^^^^^Seems after 3 years your H has some pent up frustrations about you not helping his son.....ignoring the fact that he LIED and changed up the story. I'd have his @ss for calling me out my name......If your H can't let go of something that happened 3 years ago and its already done with.....I can only imagine what the rest of your future with him holds......

The nerve of him!

Aniki-Moderator's picture

So your 'D'H expected you to jeopardize your career and violate your ethics to help his lying POS son.

I hope you have contacted the meanest shark of an attorney for your divorce. There is no way I could look myself in the mirror and stay with this low-life.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

What are you going to do? If you have screenshots of what SS originally posted, are you going to give them to the appropriate people to prove he committed fraud? I imagine that you sitting on this information could be detrimental to your career.

Do you honestly have ANY respect left for you husband??

marblefawn's picture

I'd worry having that boy at your home could land you in court! Better make sure your sidewalks aren't bumpy!!!!!

marblefawn's picture

No. On all levels, no.

First, this is your job, your field. If you saw a problem in how the case was relayed, you of all people know the ramifications. You made a good professional call. If your husband doesn't understand that his son lied, which caused a legal hiccup, he's stupid.

Second, doing business with family is not a good idea, period. At the most, you might have recommended another firm for SS, but all SS has to do is watch daytime TV to find all the personal injury attorneys there are. Problem solved.

Third, why are YOU obliged to get involved in any lawsuit that doesn't have your name on it? Because SS is "family?" That is exactly why you SHOULDN'T get involved. And I'm sure he only feels like "family" when he needs something. If your husband doesn't see this is way out of your obligation, he's stupid.

Fourth, your husband seems to be implying you should involve your firm. That involves your livelihood. Don't mess with your livelihood except when it's someone you really trust and in whom you want to invest. You don't risk your reputation and livelihood for someone you aren't 110% behind.

Finally, if your SS wanted your help, at 25, he could have asked. And it's probably best he didn't. Tell your stupid husband that.

PS: Your SS is a shit. He's exactly what's wrong with this country. I lived in a country where personal injury law was so stacked against a plaintiff, there were no personal injury lawsuits! As a result, no kidding, I'd be walking down the sidewalk and suddenly, a foot in front of me would be a giant open hole without so much as an orange cone or flag marking it. That makes the U.S. a great place to live. But people like your SS (and probably a lot of your clients! Ha, ha!) are using the system that promises to make us whole to get a payday, and that's costing the rest of us in ways most don't even realize. It's pretty sad.

(I'm not chiding you for working in that industry -- it's our law, and there are many legitimate cases. I totally sided with the woman who burned her legs with scorching McDonald's coffee! I chide greedy people who use any occasion to clear enough money for a party. Pathetic.)

hereiam's picture

Since this is exactly the line of business I'm in, should I have made more of an effort to involved my own attorneys at the office I work at? 

Absolutely not.

Based on this and other posts, your husband is quite the jerk.

notarelative's picture

SS was an adult when this happened. If he felt that the firm you work at was the best for his case, he could have hired them. He didn't. You can't hire an attorney for another adult.

DH isn't thinking this through. His son changed his story on social media. If he had hired your firm, as an employee of the firm, you would have most likely been contractually obligated to inform the lawyer handling the case of the social media post. 

Rags's picture

Of course you do not risk your professional career for idiots.  Ever. Never mix business and family.. or friends for that matter.

My HS BFF worked for me when I started my company in my early 20s.  I ended up accepting his resignation, that he recinded, and that turned into a shit storm of epic proportions that killed out friendship for decades. Ultimately we reconnected and are once again extremely close but... never again will I mix business with friends and family.

Your DH is a moron and it is no surprise that he spawned this toxic idiot child.  Time to bring the pain of clarity down on your DH and if he can't deal, he can leave after you call the locksmith to rekey the locks.

I would write off this moron and his shallow and polluted gene pool.

Take care of you.