You are here

SKID still mad, after all these years!

Not-the-mom's picture

I am new to these forums, but I have really enjoyed and benefited from reading others posts. Very helpful and informative. Nice to know I am not the only one out there in this situation.

I have been married to a wonderful man for over 8 years. He divorced his first wife when his kids were 18 and 17 years old. The kids were completely shocked at the breakup of their parents marriage, because the wife insisted they not be told the parents were having problems. They were kept completely in the dark. A big mistake, and my DH realizes this now.

I met and married my DH two months after his divorce, and we have been very happy. I was a widow, and so we knew the right questions to ask one another about the really important issues that make a strong marriage. We didn't allow romantic feelings cloud our good judgement.

Over the past years, he has tried to work things out with his kids, and they seemed to be doing OK. They would come to visit, and we would do things together. They really seemed to be enjoying themselves. Then, just one year ago, their real feelings came out. We had been wondering how long this would take, so when it did happen we were not totally surprised. What did surprise us was what they were mad about!

They are upset that their father didn't introduce me to them before we got married. The problem is, their mother would not allow it! She said that she didn't know what type of person I was, and that she had to "check me out" before the kids would be allowed to meet me. Also, SHE had to be there at the meeting. My husband told her this was crazy and refused her demands. We did finally meet one month after our marriage at my DH funeral. The EX came in at the last minute with the kids, and made a BIG SCENE just before the funeral was about to begin. I had spied her waiting at the front door of the funeral home and timing her big entrance just as the funeral was to begin. She rushed over to her ex-MIL and hugged and cried over her. It was a big drama. The other relatives were all watching to see how I would react. I kept my cool and when the EX sat behind us with the kids, I calmly turned around in my seat and introduced myself, and said "I am sorry we had to meet this way, and I was glad to finally meet them." The funeral went on without event.

A few days after the funeral, my DH and I went to his daughers track meet, and his daughter came up to me and began speaking to me. I was talking to her when the EX came swooping up and put her arm around her daughter and steered her away from me as fast as she could - saying "Let's get you some hot cocoa, the weather is cold."

From then on, the battle lines were formed. Ever since then the EX has done all she could to create "parental alienation" between the kids and their father. Every event we are all at, she goes out of her way to draw attention to herself and in doing so makes a fool of herself.

At this point, if you don't wish to read on, you may go to the end of the post for our real quesiton - but the following information will be helpful to read to understand our situation.

At her sons highschool graduation party, she and her two bitter divorced friends sang "I've been cheated, and mistreated...." to the Karaoke machine. She had also made up a poster of pictures of her son, and every photograph with my DH in it, she put a thumb tack through the middle of his forhead or between the eyes. She did't expect us to laugh out loud when we saw it, but it was so obviously passive-aggressive it was funny! Blum 3

She can't stand it if my husband and I have people pay any sort of attention to us. She will do something to divert their attention. This past weekend at their daughters wedding, when my DH and I were on the dancefloor together, the EX rushed on the floor and began to jump up an down to the music. She is 60 years old, was wearing a long elegant evening dress, and is not slim and trim. So here is this mature woman jumping up and down to song after song, after song. It was interesting to say the least! :O

The kids seem to be totally oblivious to what their mother is up to. They just don't see it. If my DH husband tries to explain an issue he and his EX are having the affects the kids, they don't seem to be able to see that their mother has a part in it. She is going out of her way to create drama.

My husband and I have decided that because of the skids new disresptful behavior towards him and me, that we have tried all we can to work it out, but the kids (especially the daughter) are just not willing to cooperate. There is just too much to tell here in this post, but believe me, we have tried to work it out. So, now we see it as important to set some healthy boundaries with them.

If they decide to want to work it out in the future, we have a question. The main issue they seem to keep having is that they were not able to meet me, and get to know me before my DH married me. They have had plenty of opportunity to get to know me over these past years, but they have been so angry, they said they resisted doing so, because they were so mad. That is THEIR issue, but they are taking it out on me and my DH.

How did you deal with meeting your skids before (or after) you were married? Would it have really mattered if they met me, or is this just an excuse to be mad and disrespectful? Your insight would be helpful.

Not-the-mom's picture

Sorry, I meant my DH husband's FATHERS funeral! Wink Also, sorry for the other typing errors.

frustratedstepdad's picture

I can understand them being a little upset about not meeting you before you two got married. That much I understand. But if they really wanted to get to know you, they could be doing so now without their mother's intervention, so it just sounds like a convenient excuse. Also add in the fact that they don't see how their own mother played a part in this, sounds mentally they are still kids. Even if they had met you before the wedding, I don't think things would be any different.

Jsmom's picture

My father did something very similar to us. He met my SM and married her shortly after the divorce was final. My parents went back and forth for years and finally divorced when after I had gotten married in 1990. We were told by my mom they had an affair. My Dad and SM both deny anything happened until my mom threw my dad out the last time. We were told such horrible things by our mom about their marriage. My sisters have never gotten past the divorce. I have. My Dad and I have a great relationship now. I talk to him once a week and visit with him at least twice a year. But, I did therapy during their divorce and other times for different reasons. Ultimately my last therapist resolved everything. My Dad and I had a lot of talks about my childhood and their divorce. I got past it all.

These kids may never come around and you and your DH may need to accept that. My Dad has. He has other grandchildren that he completely has nothing to do with. Everything is done for my son. But, I look at it this way, I accepted his wife and I make an effort to have them in my life. If they can't do it that is their loss. My Dad will be gone one day and my sisters will have to live with how they have treated him. I have a clear conscience.

My sisters and I agree not to talk about my Dad at all. It works for us. You need to sit back and let them come to you. Someday they will see what their mother is doing. I completely see what my mom is still doing when it comes to my dad and they have been divorced over twenty years now and she still hasn't gotten passed it. Give it time, it may work out. But, if it doesn't you need to be prepared for that as well.

emotionaly beat up's picture

Jsmom. I envy your stepmother you have behaved in a very understanding, compasionate and mature manner with the trauma that live dealt you. Your dad (and your mum) your stepmother and most importantly you yourself should be very proud of how you have behaved and you are showing your son a wonderful example. Children learn what they see. Well done.

purpledaisies's picture

Here is My take on this. First if the kids were 17 and 18 when you met their father then the bm HAD NO right to say crap! Ok I can see it for the 17 year old but even with that these kids were old enough to handle this. It sounds as though the bm is inserting herself where she doesn't belong and your dh needs to not talk to her at all no contact ever. If she tries he should ignore her.

Then he needs to talk to his kids and let them know that this is his life and they act like young adults and be respectful and if not then they can not come back til they can. Sorry to sound so harsh but They are adults now and they need to be treated as such and this is life why cuddle them?? It will only hurt them and not help them. I believe in tough love and always have.

Not-the-mom's picture

All of your comments are very helpful. I am so glad I found these boards.

We do plan on setting some healthy boundaries with the kids. My DH is going to let them know what the boundaries are, and basically they are not welcome here, and we will not visiting them at their homes until they decide they are serious about wanting to work through and resolve these issues. In the meantime, they can be in contact with their father via email, phone and letter.

We have no contact with his EX at all, and we haven't for years. We only had to be in the same place as she because of the wedding. Other than that, she is out of our lives.

Yes, we met, and dated for two months, then married. My DH tried to have his kids meet me, but the EX wouldn't allow it. She is a very controlling person. Unfortunately, at the time my husband was so concerned about his visitations with the kids he didn't push it then. Until the kids graduated from high school and had more independence, my DH had to be careful, but even so, when she tried to pull something, she was met with a brick wall from him. She even had the audacity to send him a bill for the food and vet bills for their dog! She wanted to keep the dog after the divorce, so SHE needed to take care of his bills! She is really a piece of work.

I agree, the kids are using having not met me before the marriage as an excuse, instead of really dealing with the true issue.

It is the kids loss. Hopefully, with time they will grow up and really mature. Time will tell.

Thanks again.

Auteur's picture

"My husband told her this was crazy and refused her demands."

WOW you are EXTREMELY lucky to have a biodad who can see through his adult "children's" shenanigans.

Believe me, had they met you in advance it would have been all out war and chances are they would have derailed your marriage.

I'm still stunned at the fact that your DH has a BACKBONE when it comes to the BM and skids!!! WOW, just WOW!!! an EXTREME rarity!!!!!

Not-the-mom's picture

I have had to work on him for some time to be more assertive, but after reading these posts, and getting advice from a respected counselor about how he as the father needs to set healthy boundaries with his kids, he has finally come around.

Believe me, it has taken some time to get him to see the light!

Thank God he has finally seen it....thanks to these boards!