You are here

SD15 is back on her BS: "I'm scared"

SusieCue's picture

I have two SDs, 10 and 15. SD15 is a mini-wife so we are dealing with that. I have disengaged to the point that it's "ask your dad" or I tell DH he needs to handle his kids, because I'm done with their crap. For the most part he has been, but I think it's causing SD15 to try to become more creative in her attempts to get attention. For instance, at 15 years old, you'd expect her to be able to have a glass of water or juice or whatever at the dinner table without spilling or breaking the glass, right? Well, after the third time in as many days of SD15 knocking over and breaking her drinking glass at the dinner table, DH informed her that from now on she would be using a plastic cup. The next day at dinner, SD15 reaches for a glass and DH tells her no, you use plastic and hands her a random cup from the cupboard. This particular cup is one she's used before, and it's just some silly cup promoting the TV show The Walking Dead, and so it has zombies on the outside of the cup. The cup is older, though so the zombies are faded and you can't really see them. So DH hands her the cup and SD15 recoils from it as if it were a snake and cowers and backs away, shrieking that she's afraid of the cup, that she always has been (even though she literally used it all the time) and begins to cry, claiming she will now have nightmares from the cup that she's literally used as a night time water cup for years with no issue. 

The second thing is that DH and I have Spotify playlists that we've set up for cleaning, working out, etc. We each have our own, but since we have a similar taste in music, there are some of the same songs on my playlist as his. This past weekend I was cleaning and the SDs were tasked by their dad to clean some things, too. DH had just played through his playlist and mine started up. A few songs in, a repeat song came on. SD15 was holding an area rug up and her sister was using a hand vac on it. SD15 throws the rug down and goes to MY phone without asking to skip the song. I realize I've disengaged, but there's no way I'm not saying something about that brat putting her hands on my phone, so I tell her not to touch my phone. She responds with "We already HEARD this song." I told her I didn't care, she still isn't allowed to touch my phone and furthermore, she didn't need to drop what she was doing in order to skip it, and while I'm at it, I also tell her to watch her tone. So then DH enters the room and asks me what happened, so I tell him. He then asks SD15 what her issue is and she proceeded to tell him THAT SHE'S AFRAID OF THE SONG. And she starts crying. Because of a song. It isn't even a creepy song. 

I have a feeling she is just doing this because she knows that if she tries her mini-wife crap she gets shut down so she's trying to play the "I'm a scared little girl" card now. Her behavior is so bizarre and weirdly manipulative that I don't know what to make of it.

Rags's picture

Ride the horse that got her under control.  A shift in her strategy does not necessarily necessitate a change in yours. 

Play your play list and then call her on her pathetic crap when she plays the "I'm afraid of the song" bullshit.

Don't waist a moment trying to make anything of her crap. Just keep ending it when she pulls it.

smh

sandye21's picture

"SD15 recoils from it as if it were a snake and cowers and backs away, shrieking that she's afraid of the cup, that she always has been (even though she literally used it all the time) and begins to cry, claiming she will now have nightmares from the cup that she's literally used as a night time water cup for years with no issue."   "He then asks SD15 what her issue is and she proceeded to tell him THAT SHE'S AFRAID OF THE SONG. And she starts crying. Because of a song. It isn't even a creepy song. "

It's bizarre, alright - bizarre that someone hasn't clued her that she will never make it as an actress.  Maybe you should be responding overly dramatic like she does to her music or something she says, and laugh afterwards like it's a joke.  This might mean you will never win her over but it looks like that wasn't going to happen anyway.

Time to put the stops to the game.  Insist DH support you as his wife to his children and settle for no less.

twoviewpoints's picture

Almost makes me want to splurge on a cruel prank. Hire a few zombies to knock at door and sing the very scary song? The clown It peeking in the window? 

SusieCue's picture

This. This is brilliant and all too tempting.

tog redux's picture

That's very odd. She must get lots of sympathy from other people when she says she's "scared", because I don't know she could be scared of a cup and a song.

I hope DH backs you on not reacting to it.

Rags's picture

I'm thinking it is time to order a case of the cups to spread around the house and play the song on continuous loop any time she is in the house.

Diablo

shamds's picture

Sd does her fake cry you imitate the same fake cry and go “hubby i’m so afraid of your daughter and will have nightmares for life” then stop the fake tears because it was all fake and walk away. Sd would be in shock because yes you are mocking her but you are calling her out on her bs

Mandy45's picture

She 15 for god sake it all bull scared of a cup. Kids watch shows and play video games with more scary things in it dont bat a eyelid. Call her on it and throw away the zombie cup and buy her a toddler sippy cup. And if sd or dh say anything about it tell them to F off with there bs. Go about your business. 

Rags's picture

"Get over here and I will give you something to cry about" used to be a fairly common parental comment to cry baby children.

Dust that one off with the modification of "Knock off your manipulative crap or over here and I will give you something to really be afraid of."

Manipulative crap would not fly in my world. I am shocked that your DH allows it to fly in your world.

smh