You are here

Are You Too Busy Reacting, Rather Than Acting To Change Your Situation?

Not-the-mom's picture

Are you too busy reacting, rather than acting to change your situation?

This question is a good one. It has helped me stand up to my SK's and their poor behavior.

Some suggestions on how to change this pattern:

-Plan, make requests, begin to set healthy boundaraies and start the process in motion to make changes. This may be difficult to start, but keep at it and move forward - even in baby steps - towards your goal.

-It is best to set goals for yourself first, instead of looking to change others. The better you get and are able to set healthy boundaries, and learn how to get what you need, many of the issues with others will fall into place. But don't be surprised if the other people put up a big fight first, and try to sabotage your boundaries and self-confidence and goals. }:)

-Think about and consider what you need and want from others involved. Come to an understanding that some things will not be possible to get - ever - but also look to see what you can get. It may take some time to understand what is and isn't possible to achieve - at least in the short-term, but don't give up.

-List on paper what the issues are, and some steps to acheive your goals. List what YOU can do to change the situation from YOUR position. What boundaries to set - a different approach to dealing with your spouse and if it is time for YOU to disengage, etc... You can't make your spouse or SK's do what they don't want to do, so move ahead in doing what YOU need to do for your own well-being.

-Don't limit yourself with "shoulds" or thinking it "can only happen this way" or "it won't work" type of thinking. Think outside the box. Use these forums for some ideas from others who are dealing with the same issues. You will get some feedback that can help you see another approach you never thought of.

-Do what you can one-day-at-a-time. Don't over reach too fast or you may get frustrated and give up. Slow and steady wins the race.

-Check off the goals you have reached. But don't get too cocky, you may have to repeat the process to re-establish this goal once more. Life has a way of surprising us when we least expect it. Wink

-Be patient, and trust in God's timing and way of helping you resolve your goals.
When the time is right, and when you are ready, it will happen. This doesn't mean you sit back and do nothing. It means if it doesn't happen right away, keep striving for your goals, but with the understanding that it will happen when the time is right - and to push it before then is not going to help you or the situation.

One important goal is to "say what you mean, and mean what you say." Don't make people try and read your mind. If you have a need, SAY SO! Be concise, don't beat around the bush and use "cryptic" phrases.

It is OK to say NO! You are not a bad person if you use this word.

Don't be so easily willing to back down if your spouse or SK's insist there isn't a problem, or they try and convince you that YOU are the problem. They can be LYING, and trying to MANIPULATE you so that they don't have to make any changes.

Express your wants, needs, feelings openly and honestly and appropriately (don't shout, scream or have hysterics) and responsibly (at the appropriate time after you have taken time to prepare what you will say). You don't need to feel ashamed of having any of these needs - even if your spouse or SK's try and make you feel ashamed. CALMLY OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY IN AN EVEN YET FIRM TONE. Sulking, pouting and ignoring your spouse or SK's (unless you have needed to disengage) is not going to make them understand or change.

If you can't say it aloud, you may wish to write it in a letter to your spouse or SK's. Be careful to not use the "you" word if possible.

Be ready to admit that you may be wrong in a particular situation - when it is appropriate. It isn't possible to not make mistakes ever! Blum 3 Be careful when and to whom you admit this. There are people who will cheerfully use this against you, and are not safe people to admit any such thing to.

LEARN TO IGNORE NONSENSE AND B.S. from others! Don't allow them to get you involved in foolish drama.

YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINIONS, and so are others. But you and they are NOT entitled to being abusive, manipulating or controlling.

I hope this has been helpful.

All of this information is gleaned from "Co-Dependent No More" by Melody Beattie.

Take care.

ItAlmostWorked's picture

Good post, not-the-mom. What I am wondering about comes after all these terrific suggestions. Let's say one does all of the above, is co-dependent no more, but the skid is question still continues with rude, passive aggressive and hurtful ways to meet her needs. In that very moment, in the seconds after the last verbal assault, which by the way is expertly crafted so she can get away with, "I didn't mean THAT", when you and everyone else knows THAT is exactly what she did mean, what does ones do? Walk away, take a sedative, begin drinking, stay at a friend's house when she is in town to avoid her poison?

I am really at a loss and she will be back soon. We have zero relationship left. I decided I was stepping out of the dynamic of "how can I live differently to make YSD happy"... no longer pretending everything is fine when it isn't, no longer passively accepting her trashing me to DH behind my back.

ItAlmostWorked's picture

It seems the answer to my every question is: maintain disengagement and focus on my own life. To maintain disengagement Imwill need to get out of town when she is here, for at least past of the time. Earplugs will probably help when I have no other option to be here when she's here. Don't worry-I won't let on that I have them in LOL.

sandye21's picture

Speaking of ear plugs, my DH offers a good suggestion without even knowing it: Selective hearing! How about that?! It will drive her up the wall. But then, the earplug thing would be great too.

I got to the point with SD's rude behavior that I banned her from our home and gave DH the choice of informing her, in my presence, that she is to respect me as his wife. DH has not had the courage to inform her yet but the ball is in HIS court now. It was the best, deserved gift I could give for myself. I refuse to leave my home to accommodate SD. If DH wants to visit her he is more than welcome to.

Your DH has to realize you deserve as much mutual respect as any other human being. It seems a lot of SMs, including myself have lived a long, long time under a double standard. We are expected to give, give give, without kindness in return. It's like a bank account; you can only withdraw so much before you are bankrupt. I wound up emotionally bankrupt before I found the strength inside to replentish the confidence, self-worth and belief in mutual respect.

Not-the-mom's picture

Glad you asked ItAlmostWorked..

Here is more information about how to not be anyone elses "punching bag".

____________________________________________________________________________________

How to not to be the designated punching bag!
By Dr. John Townsend

Rule of the Universe =”You experience in life, what you tolerate in life.”

A person who puts up with bad treatment, gets treated badly.

Ask yourself – or a trusted friend or family member – if you put up with things in life that you shouldn’t put up with?

Do I allow others to treat me poorly, and not stand up for myself?

Do I not set any healthy limits with others; instead I laugh off their disrespect or say nothing, instead of letting that person know that what they said or did was unacceptable?

All of us should have certain requirements on how we want to be treated:

You want respect from others.
You will not allow others to talk to you in an inappropriate tone of voice.
You will not allow others to use certain disrespectful words towards you.
You will not allow others to put you in certain inappropriate situations.

Although it can be very difficult, it is important to stand up for yourself, and tell the others person(s) that you take responsibility for allowing them to treat you with disrespect, and that you will not be allowing this to happen any longer – and say it in a respectful but serious tone of voice.

Next, you need to enforce this! If we have trained others to think that they can get away with treating us disrespectfully, it will take time and effort to “retrain” them to not do this any longer.

They are not going to like the “new you” and they will let you know this through their words and actions. They will test and retest your resolve.

This can mean that you will leave the room, leave the party, leave the situation, not talk to that person for a while, etc... There needs to be some sort of immediate consequence for the other person’s bad treatment of you.

Be consistent and firm! Don’t back down no matter how much they try and get you to do this.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Hope this helps.

Not-the-mom's picture

If we respect ourselves, others will respect us - or stay away from us - which isn't bad either, depending on the person. Wink

Respect is not the same as selfish self-love. It is healthy self-love!