You are here

Should minor half siblings be invited to sks weddings? Iluvmykids' blog got me to thinking

Anon2009's picture

About this.

I feel it depends on if the couple wants any kids there or not. I know this subject has come up a few times here, where a sm and half sibling may wonder why SK didn't invite the half sibling and feel hurt about it, or wonder if the half sibling will be invited at all.

Disneyfan's picture

If I had minor kids and my SKs pulled this, none of us (or our money) would be there. They would no longer be welcomed in our home.

I also would never allow my SO to exclude my kids from our wedding.

Anon2009's picture

What if they don't invite the half siblings because they just don't want kids there? It might not be anything against the kids or sm. Maybe they just don't want kids there.

Anon2009's picture

"A thoughtful bride would have a discussion with her father and her SM, and explain that they don't want any kids at the wedding under a certain age. She'd still be taking a risk of offending them, but if she worded it right and had a history of being considerate, I think she could pull it off."

Agreed. I just know that there are some people who aren't "kid" people at all and who really just want adults there, even if the kid is very well behaved. The kid-free weddings I've been to were awesome. Nobody had to worry about who was watching the kids, who was underfoot, etc.

Newimprvmodel's picture

I hate to go off on a tangent here, but my dh created quite the war when he told his then 18 year old daughter that we likely were not going to invite her older sisters to our wedding. He shared this with her because took it upon herself to make up a guest list one morning that included her mother's father. I was standing right there but dh told her no way, nicely. I might add that then fiancé and I had had no contact with his older daughters other than to see them in court.
Well.....younger daughter then went home and told her mother and sisters. This got put down in court papers as "psychological abuse". Of youngest daughter!!! Because little blah blah "loves her sisters and how could you expect her to go to your wedding if you excluded her sisters? Can you imagine???
Unfortunately, we ended up invited the sorry lot of them all and the rest is history. Came home from our wedding to find a court motion in our mailbox. I kid you not.......

Newimprvmodel's picture

I think people should be allowed to invite whomever they want to their wedding, but if you are going to slight the payor of the event, that is a no no.