You are here

Shoul a Manipulative Narcissitic ex-wife be included in family therapy with adult children?

ziggyhi's picture

My DH and I have been married for 30 years. My DH's BD is 38 years old. We have hit an impasse over the last year because of the ex-wife's behavior (she is also also a predatory lesbian, amond other things). DH and I have been through therapy with great results. We do not want to get back together with this 38 year old SD and her husband unless we undergo family therapy with them. The have proclaimed that if they agree to family therapy there will be no discussion of the ex-wife unless she can be present. What would you do?

IslandofDreams's picture

UMMM> But the reason you are going to counseling is because of the actions of ex-wife on relationship with SD38, right?

Won't the counselor bring up the elephant in the room (Ex-wife)? If it is the Ex-wife's behaviour that is affecting the relationship (still? at 38 :? ), how can she NOT be brought up? It seems that SD38 needs to cut her apron strings. No parent is perfect but it sounds like she is unwilling to even hear any negative comments about her mom.

Good luck with your counseling. I think SD38 needs counseling on her own. She needs to understand that parents are people too. People are not perfect and do make mistakes.

Most Evil's picture

Let the BM come, so the counselor can also see her contributions to any problems-! That will settle that issue so you can move on to relationship between SD and your family.

starfish's picture

if you allow her ~~ which i would NOT (you know she doesn't want to reslove things) ~~ make her pay her share!

and at 38 yrs old sd can't see what's going on??? sounds like she has bigger issues than family therapy can resolve..... maybe shock therapy!

good luck...