You are here

SD update... what a feckin' mess

LadyOfShalott's picture

I first posted about my SD (now 21) here:

https://www.steptalk.org/node/191002

Oh, the Universe was on our side, apparently, about getting SD out of my house... a few months later, DH and I got a nastygram from the IRS (Withholding Compliance Unit). I freaked and told my DH, WE HAVE TO MOVE!!! WE CAN'T AFFORD THIS PLACE IF THEY RESET OUR WITHHOLDING TO ZERO!!! I made a phone call to the IRS the very next day, at which time they fine-combed our finances and said that the withholding was correct as it was... but they were still going to put us in their three-year "program," whereupon we can't change our withholding until tax year 2017.

I did not share the info about the IRS resolution with my SD, and DH agreed not to, either. He was as tired of their shit as I was. They lived with us for two years and did not save even ONE PENNY while they were with us... SSIL has a decent job making $15+/hour, and has stable employment. Apparently they expected the situation to continue indefinitely! And come to find out, he had not adjusted his withholding after they got married, so he was still on single man's withholding and getting a big refund every year, which they would go out and blow after they got it. We informed them that we were not renewing our lease on the place we had together, and that they could not come with us. They looked at a few apartments, and then finagled a deal with SD's BM to move in with her. DH and I rolled our eyes when we heard that, but then said to ourselves, "you know what? this isn't our problem, as long as they are out of our house."

We really like our SIL/SSIL... but to be honest, he and SD both are "takers"... they will just keep taking from people until people put a stop to it.

Hubby and I, through a stroke of real luck, found a tiny cottage (720 SF) for a cheap price ... a real find in the area we live in. Out in the country, and no close neighbors. Nobody much bothers us here. There are several things about this place that are not right/are inconvenient, but we always end up our gripe sessions with, "but it's cheap!!!" We cut our rent in half and downsized--best move we've made together thus far. Overall, we love it here and plan to stay a long time.

After moving back in with her mom, SD decided, about 6 months later, to invoke "the nuclear option" on her marriage, which created a chain reaction of cause-and-effect, and is now a major shitstorm of bad karma and consequences for SD. As a reminder, my SD21 is diagnosed bipolar. That will have to be a tale for another day... because it's still ongoing and kind of tragic. Children are involved. And it's a little long.

LadyOfShalott's picture

So, what happened was that SD and her husband and toddler moved in with BM last September. The BM had all her children in the same house with her, as well as their spouses or SO's. All of these children are over 18. (Yeah, that sounds healthy, right?) SD posted on FB at one point that now that she'd moved in with them, she had lots of babysitters to help her! Well that didn't pan out... everyone was busy with their own lives and expected her to take care of her effin' kid herself. She's a SAHM after all.

Well, little princess, seemingly unhappy with the lack of attention she was getting at home, went and hung out with one of her older brother's now-former friends (the older bro is no longer friends with the guy because SS believes the guy stole money from SS's girlfriend). I'll call this guy "The Douche." The Douche already has at least two children with two different baby mamas, and doesn't pay support for either of them. The Douche's mother actually has legal custody of The Douche's oldest child. SD and The Douche had sex during their little visit together, as I fully believe SD intended to do when she went there. She got pregnant with the guy's baby (she was not sleeping with her husband at the time). She told us at first she had a miscarriage, and it came out several weeks later that she'd actually had an abortion. Then she tells us later that The Douche got her drunk and had sex with her. Sorry, I do not believe her.

Christmas rolls around. SD, SSIL, and the toddler come over and have dinner/ visit on Christmas day. As they were leaving, SD pulls her dad aside and tells him that she and SSIL are getting divorced.

Mid-January rolls around. I notice on FB that SD is posting selfies of herself all prettied up, belly-exposing shirts type of thing. I put 2+2 together and go visit her ex-boyfriend's FB page, i.e., her toddler's father. Come to find out, she got all prettied up to take the toddler to visit his bio dad (SD and the bio dad have never been married). This is the first time biodad has ever seen his son in person. The last time SD saw her son's bio dad was back in early 2011. She was 3 or 4 months pregnant at the time, with this guy's kid. She had left her other boyfriend at the time (who is her current husband) a couple months before and gotten back together with this prick, who got her pregnant. They broke up. Her dad, her older brother and I went and "rescued" her from the boyfriend's apartment. What prompted this is that SD called her dad and claimed that her boyfriend had roughed her up, and would we please come get her. I don't know or remember why she, or we, didn't call the police, but that should have happened at the time, and it didn't.

Through early spring 2015, it becomes apparent that SD has a short memory... or else began telling herself a new "story" at some point. I think SD was expecting her older son's father, this prick, to come and "rescue" her from her current husband (who is the boyfriend she returned to after the mess with the prick.) SD goes on FB again and tells the world that she is in love with her son's bio father (while still married to her current husband, living in the same house together, though "not as husband and wife") and she "doesn't give a fuck who knows it." Nice, right? Sad SD finds out about six weeks later that she is again pregnant by her first son's biodad. Biodad makes clear he has NO intention of providing any support for the new child. He doesn't pay any child support for the toddler, either, and never has. SD sets up a "my two dads" type situation, where apparently her current husband works his ass off and SD and the biodad enjoy the fruits of her husband's labor. SD is posting pictures on FB of the "two dads" spending time with her toddler. DH and I are "gagging with a spoon." DH and I make it clear to SD that we want nothing to do with her children's biodad.

May rolls around. We get a call from my older SS. He reports that SD called him, frantic, to say that she had been arrested and taken to jail. Older SS and DH go and bail her out. We learn she is being charged with felony child abuse. SD had taken the toddler to the ER (because apparently the pediatrician did not pay enough attention to her at the doctor's office--no wait, we are told later that the pediatrician told SD to take the child to the hospital. Who knows what to believe?!) and a nurse at the hospital became suspicious because the toddler had bruising that was "not normal."

This court process is still going on with my SD. A charge of "malicious wounding" was added to her felony child abuse charge. Her court dates have been "continued" twice--once because she had premature labor with the new child, and once when the new child was actually born, very premature (the baby is doing okay, for the most part, in spite of that).

I had an opportunity to listen to the recordings that were made the day of the arrest. On my stepgrandson's recording, he said "Mommy did it" when he was questioned about an injury (I'm not clear as to the specific nature of that injury) on his face, but otherwise the interviewer was unable to get anything else out of him about the other injuries.

My SD's recording is a trainwreck. Didn't have the sense to keep her damn mouth shut. She sounds crazy as the proverbial bedbug. She basically made the prosecution's case for them, IMO.

As a result of this arrest, toddler was not allowed for some months to spend unsupervised/alone time with SD. The Biodad had him for a while, but was getting kicked out of his stepdad's house. The toddler came to my husband and me, and we had overnight and supervisory custody of him from late July until a couple of weeks before Xmas. We had to beg SD and SSIL to come and spend time with "their" kid, and draw firm boundaries with them about the fact that their not having gas money was not our problem. They had money for other things like cigarettes, of course.

There is more, of course... a lot more... but I am tired now. Been up since 2:30am. Will have to try and grab a catnap later today. Thanks for listening.

sandye21's picture

Sorry you have had to go through this especially since you had absolutely nothing to do with it. The child deserves much more than this. Hope there is a positive resolution for the child.

LadyOfShalott's picture

As part of this process, my SD and SSIL had psych evaluations. My SD, who already has a Bipolar II diagnosis from her early teen years, has now been diagnosed also with "Histrionic Personality Disorder with Borderline Features." Sad

My SSIL did not fare well in his psych evaluation, either. Anger issues (but I mean, who wouldn't be angry, considering what my SD has put him through?!) as well as hyperactive and Attention Deficit Disorder. He has been prescribed Ritalin.

The biodad has, to this point, refused to submit to psych eval. I'm going to play armchair psychologist here and guess that his personality disorder is "Antisocial." We learned recently that he has gotten a job that pays about $18 an hour. Whatever my SDs problems are, she didn't make those babies by herself, so I hope she gets some child support that will help her survive in the world... assuming, that is, she doesn't go to jail on the felony child abuse/malicious wounding charge, and doesn't lose her kids. But honestly... this girl should not be raising children. So it's a really difficult situation.