You are here

Just another rant

Britmum's picture

I'm just using this space a safe place to let out my rant. Being in lockdown and social distancing means that I'm really missing those coffee moments with my besties where I can let it all out in a safe environment. So steptalk you are now my new bestie.....

I am so sick and tired of hearing how SD is "being good now" or "he is getting better", maybe he is, maybe he isn't I really don't know and forgive me for really not giving a flying fig! 

My instinct tells me that no he is not being good or better he is just being less confrontational because I am out of the equation and that's fine by me. 

My husband is enabler to all of his bad behaviour and he says it's because he's a grown man. My husband is a sucker when it comes to all of his children including our youngest. I don't blame him for it but it really really frustrated me, as I believe when you're a parent there is no room for excuses. He says that it has nothing to do with me but he is so wrong because he doesn't understand that my complaints are nothing to do with darling SD, I really couldn't care less about him at the moment. My complaints are about my husband and his way if parenting, he doesn't understand that one day not so far away our youngest children will also be grown adults and if his way of parenting is to enable problems with excuses then I worry.

But of course as usual, the problem is me because I am a step parent and step parents are only ever moaning because it is about a child that is from their spouses previous life. 

Not sure I've expressed myself properly here or got my full point across, but I feel better now for the rant! Thanks new bestie x

JRI's picture

I'm older than you, my BKs & SKs are in their 50's now but I so clearly remember being exasperated by the leeway my DH gave all 5 kids.  Overlooking many things, when he did recognize a problem, lots of yelling and threats, very few consequences (actually none I can remember).  If it's any consolation, for the most part, they are unaffected and living their adult lives.  

Like so many folks on here, i attribute his mindset to guilt, parenting ignorance and wanting to be Mr. Nice Guy.  I have some responsibility, too, should have been more assertive.

But, anyway, feel free to vent, so many here are in your shoes.

CLove's picture

Vent away stephell Bestie.

Biggrin

Im doing good right now - SD13 almost 14 is not so bad, good actually, and sd21 Feral Forger is at her mother indefinitely. DH parents her appropriately and its just the right amount although I think she should do more chores.