You are here

Counting down the months to empty nest…..!

Altogether Now's picture

I'm years overdue for a rant! I have nobody I can talk to about my nearly 18 y.o. SD! Entering her senior year. I haven't had to deal with her bio mom for 8 yrs because she passed away back then. But she did a ton of damage before she died, to the relationship with SD and her dad and I. Before you hammer me, I have now, and had then, great compassion for a young girl losing her mom to cancer. That was a huge extra part of this to navigate. Her mom put her through hell and my husband too, keeping her illness secret until the very end. Alienating my SD from her dad with a vengeance.

Despite no bio mom in the picture, I still had the problem that I couldn't really parent her as if she were mine, because her dad and I have very different styles and expectations when it comes to parenting. I know her mom did not allow her dad to do much of the parenting when she was as little and he didn't fight it because she always threatened to take her and leave the country if he didn't do as she said, and had family money she hung over his head. I wouldn't have fought hard, but he isn't me, so what can I say.
So that is also why I have had to stand back so far, so he could step up, and for the most part he really has.

She is basically doing very well. But she is batshit crazy, aside from the teenage stuff. She is a very hard worker, but volunteers nothing. I work from home and it is painful to have to see her be so damn lazy at home. She decided that this summer she just wanted to have fun and not work much. Whereas in the spring she wanted to work as much as posible to keep earning money for college. Most of her friends are less ambitious and it has caught up to her. Suddenly she is only working a few hours a week and that drives me crazy to see a near-adult sitting and sitting and sitting. And she can sit. She showers and dresses up nice and then SITS for hours.
She and I could not be more different, really having zero overlap of interests. Not much with her dad either. We are extremely outdoorsy, she is a total inside person, to the point of never bringing a coat with her anywhere because she assumes she will always be in a climate controlled building or car. Ugh. Ever since her bio mom died and she came to live with us full time she has had the attitude of "I don't need to be here," and she is quite disengaged. We get along great when we go on vacation, it's great if you want to entertain her, but otherwise she is checked out. Always staring at her phone watching TikTok and group texting. She often pays for her lazier fiends to go to movies and eat out. So is burning through a lot of the money she has made in the last 18 months of hard work. Her dad just refuses to sit down with her bank statements and even attempt to teach her about managing her money. I don't get it, why he won't do it. But she won't listen to anything I say and I am trying to stay out of it. So it seems a missed opportunity because she spends like crazy now, without any thought to how much anything costs.

She is extremely feminine in all her mannerisms and clothing/style choices, yet she tells us she is a man. Like will fall down screaming about it. Has even given herself anew and ridiculous name, which everyone calls her except us! And she has a boyfriend, or two., so we have all that popular insanity here, too.

I just feel like if I could vent now and then to someone I could more easily let it go! I mean I actually do, but seeing her constantly napping during the day makes me want to drop her off at Labor-Ready or something!

But people don't want to hear anything negative, especially about a teen or a SD, especially one whose mother died. Having to keep it all inside makes me feel like a step monster. My kids were much different and it really sucks to have a teen around who I do not enjoy and who acts like she just rents a room here, not like we are family. She just wants to be entertained and has zero interest in anything else. She knows everything....

My husband also has two grown sons who are much older and live far away, who my SD never lived with. So we have been through it with plenty of kids and now in my late 50s I am just ready to be done (I started young)!! I know it will work out but I need some help getting back into the fully disengaged and enjoying what I can about her. My husband is ready for a kid-free house, too, since she is always reminding us how bad we are and how she can't wait to be gone. She has it WAY better than most of her friends, but she acts like she has it so bad. Typical teen with the added baggage of her mom who was very insane and likely abusive. 
Sorry for the rambling rant, tell me how you do it! Again, I think if I had others to discuss any of it with it would helo

me keep it all in perspective and just let it go more easily.

TIA

JRI's picture

"How do you do it?"  All I can say is I did it one day at a time, sometimes hanging on by my fingernails.  I had 5 kids here, all teenagers at the same time, with SD already showing her manipulative and dishonest nature.  I went back to work full time and enrolled at night school.  I guess that was my disengagement mode.  We lurched from one emergency to the next: hospitalization, police trouble, runaway, alcohol, drugs, teen pregnancy, car wreck - you name it, we saw it.

I don't have any advice, just empathy.  At least she's 18, are there launch plans?   How infinitely worse it must be dealing with BM's death.  I feel for you.

Altogether Now's picture

Thanks, yes, lots of plans but they change constantly. She can't pick a college for her, she picks based on what friends are doing. Then she wants to join military, then that changes. Latest and greatest plan is move a couple states away to live near her mom's sister. Rumor has it they all have tons of money and will pay her way to college though none of them respect my husband enough to discuss any of it. They all blame him for the mom's death...by cancer. Yep. So that's fun. But she visited them this summer for the first time in years (we never limited any contact but they couldn't ever be respectful enough to communicate with my husband so they have largely ignored her for 8 years. Now that she is older they suddenly are all besties. But they haven't been here for her until now so I don't know how sincere they are. They are sincerely rude. We have offered to help with college if she stays nearby, at least in state. But we expect her to work and contribute to her own expenses. Not a popular position among her friends and "family." Oh well, that's how we did it with all the others. So we really don't know other than we expect once she graduates next year that she will leave immediately. At least that's what she keeps telling us.

And she wonders why we love the dogs so much! LOL, another massive difference, my husband and I love our pets and do a lot of activities that include them, and SD doesn't get it. She likes them ok but has no interest beyond petting them here and there. We do make her scoop dog poop and cat litter sometimes anyway. She does have a excellent work ethic if she is told what to do, which she can thank us for. But she just doesn't initiate anything on her own. Big sigh.
To go to school events and meet all the teachers and everyone calling her by a different name, that has been very divisive, too over this past year. It's not like she came to us to discuss anything about it. We just started to see her name on school programs as a ridiculous name she chose. But we will get by. Thanks for commiserating!!

Rumplestiltskin's picture

If these rich family members are willing to pay, let them. It sounds like things will be a lot more peaceful for you if she moves there and goes that route. 

Altogether Now's picture

After getting all that out, I know it is rather ironic that I really do admire her, despite the things that irritate me.

She really will be able to do anything she puts her mind to. I guess I just can't relate to how she has works so hard to be defiant and resist most everything we try to teach her.

She decided years ago that she was mentally ill (like who among us isn't to some degree or another?!) and act as if she is one of these kids with no parents who care. Yet we are more involved than most. I just never experienced this defiance that seems to only be for the purpose of drama. We have fully supported her in anything she pursues, within reason....we did strongly disapprove of her wanting to be in a throuple relationship, lmao.*stop*

JRI's picture

My SD61 thrives on drama, too.  I think she finds life boring without it.  It's so tiresome.

Altogether Now's picture

I know, right? I raised my three kids and they hated drama as teens and still do! This one eats it up and can't get enough!

Harry's picture

Who is going to have her..?  you really think she going to get a great JOB.  Imagine what het application would look like. NAME. Mary Jane Harry John.   Last Name. 

Altogether Now's picture

Yeah, she's a trip, but very personable, to many. We had instilled a very impressive work ethic, but s she gets closer to 18, she is being influence by her far less ambitious friend group. Feeling more entitled then ever. I think she will do well whatever path she chooses, but for now she is choosing poorly.

CajunMom's picture

and she's 30. And "bat shit crazy." Still wandering around the country, sleeping in her car/tents till she finds a job with housing. Right now, I think she's on a farm feeding the livestock. She also has identity issues (I'm not judging...just pointing out an issue for her).

She's really hating me now because she knows she'll NEVER live in this home again. So, her current stance is..."I don't have a dad because of that woman." No, lady, you don't WANT a dad...you want an ATM and a bed to sleep in for free....again, at THIRTY YEARS OLD.  Hate away. Doesn't impact me one bit anymore. LOL