You are here

Joint Vacations ?????

Sweetnothings's picture

Having seen Stepaside's post about surviving a joint vacation with Adult skids, I just wondered how many of us on here actually do this ???

No judging here but it REALLY is my idea of perfect HELL !!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

There is now way, anytime soon ( this means at least a decade ) for me that I want to even go visit them again, let alone "host" a big old holiday/ vacation with them. I'm also NO WAY paying for the privilege of spending time with them !!!!!!!

So really, I was just wondering how many of you still do this, did it work and did you end up paying for most of it or all of it ??

Stepaside, on a side note I think you are a SAINT !!!!! Skids AND MIL you deserve a medal !!! Smile

frustratedstepdad's picture

No way in hell I could go on a vacation with my adult skids. I would cry myself to sleep each night.

Frustr8d1's picture

Wish I even had a choice. With fulltime SD11, I'm forced to go on joint vacations for many miserable years to come.

frustratedstepdad's picture

Adults pay their own way, damn right! That's exactly why I will never go on a trip with the adult skids because they expect everything to be paid for them. Just like you said, no way I'm going to spend my hard-earned money to spend time with people I hate.

Orange County Ca's picture

I wouldn't go on a vacation with my own kids set aside step-kids. When she announced that she had with a step that's been nothing but trouble I thought she was insane.

twopines's picture

LOL after all the griping I've done about SD29, I can't imagine why I'd want to purposely pay money to spend time with her. Not only would I not go on "vacation" with skids, I don't think DH would want to, either. We value our vacation time too much to deliberately put ourselves in such a situation.

Sweetnothings's picture

Thanks for the feedback guys, when I went through this situation with DH, a few years back, I had to sit him down and explain it to him.

What I don't get is that DH has been independent and working ALL his life, paid his own way ALL the way and yet because he " wiggled his worm " in the wrong ( stagnant ) pond ( it's an expression NOT an ACTUAL description of MY DH folks !! Wink ) Yet when it comes to skids, he went above and beyond what normal parents do for normal kids, or they did in my day, and I'm not that old !! :jawdrop:

adult skids PAY their OWN WAY just like we did.

sandye21's picture

For years we went on several vacations with SD and a friend or her husband, and paid for everything. The first vacation we took with SD she was so nasty that even DH's family commented about it. While driving, I sat in the front seat. SD would pull on my seat belt in the back so it hurt me. SD liked to walk with DH on the sidewalk ahead of me, leaving me behind, treating me like I was invisible or just being obnoxious. One time, after paying for their hotel, and transportation and most of the meals, we even waited them out in a restaurant - we finally picked up the tab and the tip. Whether we visited them or they visited us, we paid for everything. I felt very unwelcome even in my own home, SD giving me stink eye, rolling eyes, blowing up like a puffer fish, verbally putting me down, making me invisible, having mumbled sideline conversations with her husband. The first thing we did when we did we would arrive at her house was to go to the store because SD never had anything in her cupboards to feed us. Of course, we paid. When they came to our house she would make sarcastic remarks about me and my cooking, would not pick up after herself, even to place her dish in the sink. One time I asked if she could pick up a cube of butter at the store, and she became enraged.

Do I still do this? Hell no! Just thinking about it makes me thank my lucky stars she is no longer allowed in my home.

Silent River's picture

DH tries, and SD's invite, try to initiate "trips" but they all lack the "trip planning" gene. Seriously delayed on how to pull it off. THIS is my strength. What to do...? I play dumb and do not remind or bring it up. Then I go plan a trip that is at a bad time for anyone to join and play the sympathy card with them "sorry that doesn't work our for you, SD...maybe next time". Soooo bad but hey, if you have it use it.

Sides, when ever they are anywhere near us DH pays for all stuff, restaraunt bills, groceries, you name it. So sick of the adult entitlement mentality where they see it as a given that when they come along, we pay for everyone. Now one SD wants us to take SGB camping? Seriously? I did my time camping with diapers with my own. Now it is their turn...

Rags's picture

Yep, I would do it. In fact we have been doing it for 20 years since SS-22 was a toddler.

But, he was raised in our home and visited Sperm Land 3x per year (5wks summer, 1wk, winter, 1wk spring).

So, we were able to counter the toxic shallow and polluted end of his gene pool.

We have had a great time on the vacations we have taken. Not completely without drama but enjoyable.

Hanny's picture

My ex and I used to take his 5 sons with us on vacation. The older boys would bring their girl friends. We all had a great time, they were respectful, helped with things. We did however pay most of the time. After they were older and married, we would all go camping every year together, and they paid their own ways. On the other hand, my current SO's kids, I would never go on vacation with them. They are enabled spoiled brats, and he caters to them. What enjoyment would that be for me. One time he mentioned we all go to Hawaii together, including my daughter. I didn't say a word, as much as I would love to go and love for my daughter to see Hawaii, I would not put myself or her through that. His girls are so rude to my daughter, that they have only been at the same place a handful of times. I do things with my daughter, dinners, etc, weekends, and my SO does stuff with the 2 of us, dinners, pool, etc. I do things with his daughters, dinners, and that is how we manage it. But as far as going on a vacation with them..no thank you!

LONGTIME SM's picture

I paid my own money for a beach vacation once after my steps were adults. At this time I thought we were getting along okay or I never would have suggested that they come. . They complained about the sleeping arrangements because they felt my bios should have to give up their space because the adult steps thought it was better. No one offered any help cooking or cleaning and I also ended up babysitting the step grands as well as my two minor children. It was no vacation for me and I vowed not to repeat that mistake again. They hinted and ranted when they were not included on future trips but I just ignored it. Considering the horrible things the two of them called me a few years later and the terrible temper tantrums we had to put up with, I can not imagine my ever asking them again because i would know that although they may pretend and smile to my face if it means a free vacation they still are never going to accept me. They just want the perks.