You are here

Jealous of future Step Daughter- how do I overcome it??

Andgela's picture

Hi,

I've been looking for a place to talk about my finacees daughter for a long time...

I'm 23, his daughter is 20 (ouch.) Naturally, she doesn't respect me because of my age. But this is not all.

She lives in another country, my fiancee left that country 14 yrs ago in order to make more money here and support her and his elderly parents. He is a great dad, but a little soft with her, since he feels guilty for leaving her when she was little. The biological mom was abusive to her her whole life, the girl would show up with bruises at school and at her grandparents house (my fiancee's parents.) On her high school graduation her mom hit her, again. The girl ran away with bloody clothes and she's been staying in her grandparents house ever since. My boyfriend proposed recently after that and I said yes...

But...

The girl refused to talk to me on the phone since my Spanish is not perfect and sometimes she needs to talk slow so as I understand. She never greets me when my fiancee and I talk with her and her grandparents on Skype. I wrote to her in facebook, she ignored me. I sent her a gift, she never said thanks. At the same time she is not very affectionate with her dad, either. EXCEPT FOR when she wants something... Last Skype conversation was a 30-minute "Daaaaddyyyy buy me jeans for New Yearrrr." Whining, actual, real whining.... she is 20, I see kids do that at walmart... they are 10. I made my fiancee a facebook profile when we met with the only aim that he can keep in touch with his girl without spending money. She never wrote to him for the two years we've been together. Oh, wait, she wrote one time-to send pics of the sneakers she wants him to buy her.

My fiancee says he doesn't mind her whining as a little child, because, quote, "she is my little child." Neither he minds anymore when she goes out to drink with her 40-year-old aunt every friday and sat night. He tried to talk to her about it, she got mad and threatened to leave the grandparents house, so everybody stopped criticizing her and trying to forbid her from doing anything anymore so they don't lose her.

She is an egoist who only cares about herself. My fiancees sister has a little baby, the daughter says the baby is, quote, beautiful like me. Even if nobody is talking about the daughter, when everyone is saying how cute the little baby is, the daughter comes in and says how the baby is pretty like her. Same when she comments on pictures of my fiancee- "my dad is handsome like his daughter."

Ok, so most of this does not affect me personally. The girl has been abused and, logically, she grew up a horrible person, egoistic, self-centered, lazy(barely graduated, doesn't want to go to college.) I will never like her as a person.

But this is now...

Up until a few months ago, I was feeling sad for her,sorry, concerned, I tried to help, talk to her, talk to her dad about her, give advice (my mom was similarly abusive, so I kinda really understand where she's coming from. Only... I've never ignored or been rude to any of my two stepmoms after my parents' divorce. Neither do I turn all of the conversations about how pretty I am.)

So at some point, I started developing very negative emotions towards her... In the beginning I used to urge my fiancee to communicate with her on facebook, see her pictures, read how she feels. Now, I hate every post she makes. I hate it when he tells her she is beautiful, and since I am only 3 years older than her, there can be an actual competition who is prettier.

After the proposal, I understood that I will always be second place for him. No matter how my fiancee tells me that he has different love for me and for her, I know she is the most important thing. And, you know... in the beginning of a relationship it is supposed to be just two people, alone, being each other's most important thing. Then, later, come the kids. In our case, we never had this moment of being each other's most important thing. It was always her in the equation. And if we became friends, as I intended, as I wanted and tried for 2 years, everything would have been fine. But now I know we are not going to be friends, and I am not sure if I can spend the rest of my life competing with daddy's, quote, "babydoll."

I know I am being immature, naive and idealistic, so... my request is, has anyone managed to overcome the feelings of jealousy towards their stepchildren? And how? How, how, how....

I think if she could just be a better person I would like her so much... I love his family, I talk to his sister and little nephews, his family loves me back, they say how sweet and nice and smiling I am... But nobody knows about that jealousy that's growing stronger and stronger as she keeps ignoring me... I have to overcome that jealousy...

Because... if I can't do that... I may as well cancel that damn wedding...

Anon2009's picture

1. I think you need to stay out of their relationship. Don't talk to your DH about her, don't partake in their Skype chats, etc. Stay out of it and let them work it out on their own.

2. Don't send gifts or cards to her. She doesn't want or acknowledge them, so why send them? That'll make you look like a doormat in her eyes.

3. She won't acknowledge you? Say "hi, SD" loudly or "SD, do you have something in your eye?"

4. "I hate it when he tells her she is beautiful." She's still his daughter. Of course he's going to think she's beautiful. It's great he says that to her provided it's on appropriate occasions and not constantly.

5. Unfriend and block her on facebook, your cell phone, etc.

Willow2010's picture

The guy is 41 years old! He was her age when his daughter was born!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
That makes me wanna yak. Dirty ol men!

SituationalTourettes's picture

This is going to come out catty and I am sorry but I have to ask: How old is your fiance?

It doesnt creep you out that you are 23 and his daughter is 20??? You would be a stepmother to a girl who wouldve been a freshman in high school when you were a senior?

Sorry, this is a train wreck waiting to happen.

Angel5's picture

I wish I could answer this for you but I can't. I to am jealous of my 2sd's. And one lives with us. It is really starting to affect our (me/df) relationship - BIG TIME!

Valeria's picture

Are you really OK with knowing you will always be second to his adult daughter? You shouldn't be. And I suspect there are cultural differences at play here that my be very hard to overcome. However hard this relationship is right now, today, it will get harder down the road. If you can disengage and detach from this young woman you might save your sanity, but given the age difference and your fiancé's admission that he likes her child-like whiney nature (so he can feel strong and needed?) I sure don't see anything getting better. Sorry.

Andgela's picture

Thank you for the comments Smile

Now, on the age issue, this is what I want, when we met my fiancee taught I was around 28, since I look older for my age. He, on the other side, looks younger for his 41yrs. He doesn't have a history with dating younger women so I am really kind of an exception. He is nice, makes compromises, takes care of me, is reliable and has a good family.

The guy is not the problem, it is my jealousy... and I just don't know if it will get better with time. I honestly want to work on my jealousy feelings. I realize it is me that is the problem.

As for the age difference between me and SD, the girl acts like 13, so it is pretty clear who is younger... I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing. I have never seen a 20-year old whine like that.

My only problem, MY problem, is the jealousy. Her bad character and ego centrism are not really my issues, but I sincerely want to work on my jealousy.... just... if any of you here knows how to handle this jealousy, please, give me an advice...

As for not talking to her - I feel really left out if we don't talk about her. I feel like it is him and her and nobody else. I don't know... when my father would come to see me, he would always, always come with his new wife. And I was fine with that. So she should be fine with me in their meetings on Skype, too...

Andgela's picture

Thank you... but I have thought so much about that... We have a really good relationship. I cannot give up what we have just because his daughter hates me... I really cant. Everyone I know, his friends, my friends, my family, people who have met him... they all say we are very good together. We really are... we kinda balance each other, we went through a lot together in the 2 years we've been a couple. My life with him, even after the honeymoon phase, has always been something great. Something good, something very very good. He supports all of my decisions, he helps me fly, even risking that I may not fly back to him. I help him with his issues and together we make each other better people.

I cannot, I refuse to give that up, just because I'm not mature enough to overcome my jealousy feelings...

In fact, some people have told me that the reason I am jealous is not because of their relationship, but because I compare her to myself. When I was a teenager, I would never want anything form my dad, I would contact him, try to connect with his new family, try to be nice, never whine, never act jealous, always study, have good grades and try to be good. Somehow I resent my future SD for being the bag girl with her dad because I was the good girl with mine. And while my dad didn't give a shit even though I was good, I cannot understand why she doesn't give a shit with her dad when he is doing everything for her and she is the bad daughter....

It's really quite the messed up psychological link....

twoviewpoints's picture

It really doesn't matter the age difference between the OP and her SO as to what OP is posting about. I think the SO and the OP could both be 40 years old and this same 'problem' would be happening.

Im curious as to when the last time was the SO even saw in person his daughter. The OP has never meet the young woman. But the very idea of 2BSD's existence sets off jealousy. The OP has this notion that she should be experiencing 'first' with her SO...20some years too late but that is what OP wants. A man to fall in love with, marry and experience all the 'first' of honeymoon stage, thoughts of babies and then finally having a child. Only problem is she picked the wrong man to have that dream of all those type of 'first'.

I never quite understand how some women chose a man who has already done 'all that' then resents not being able to have all the 'first' of the woman's dreams/hopes. Anyway, to the actual post: this young lady is nowhere near you and/or any real part of your life. So why not just let it be. She doesn't need a mother. She doesn't need you suggesting how she should spend her Friday and Saturday nights and she didn't ask a single thing of you. Not to be your long distance friend. Not to write her or chat online with her. Nothing. Let her be. Why care if the woman says herself that she is pretty? It's nothing to you. The woman lives with her elderly grandparents in another country. Her father sends her a gift occasionally. Exactly what kind of a threat do you feel this girl is?

I actually had to laugh that you're upset she spends weekends in a bar with a 40 year old (so says the lady who spends her weekends with a likely 40 year old herself). The young lady isn't judging you. Why judge her? Be glad she's a young pretty girl and will likely find a nice young man to marry and start her life with. It doesn't sound like your SO paid much of any type of regular attention to this young woman until you started pressing the issue he should (except for money and a gift perhaps now and then). Stop pressing. Stop trying to be involved with the girl. Ignore her. She's happy enough ignoring you. Let her live her life and you worry about living yours. If you're afraid she'll move to this country and become more a part of your life on a more regular basis otherthan the occasion Skype then that's something you need to discuss with your SO before you agree to marry him.

Andgela's picture

You are right for most things, but the "occasional gift" part - so not true! He carried out hr entire high school education - food, bills, books, high school fees, utilities (cos her mom is lazy and doesnt work.) On top of that he needed to bribe her to graduate by promising her to buy her sth very nice if she finishes her semester. As a result, she has all the toys you can think of - ipad, iphones, laptops, playstations, regularly sends money for BRAND clothes because the princess doesn't wear false brands. He will be paying for her university degree if we ever convince her to go aaaand, since she is lazy, she only wants to go to the most expensive university in her town because it is easier to graduate there. the only reason she is not there is because he is saving money, currently he has no savings. 9beats me if we will ever have money for a wedding...)

Aaaand, he will be buying her her car in the next year because, as I said, when she whines long enough for something, she gets it. And after that he will be buying her an apartment because this is the next thing she wants.

In the past years everything she wanted she got, even though he said no in the beginning. And I have gotten kinda good at predicting what she will want next and how she will get it.

He is taking care of her all the time. He is calling 2-3 times a week, talking on Skype, finding her a job after she graduated. Oh, yes, she got a job immediately after she graduated because daddy helped. She still wants expensive shoes and clothes from him though.

That apart, I am well aware that we are not going to have all the "firsts." I don't care about the fact that it is not going to be his first wedding, his first baby or whatever. It is only the daughter, the way he does everything in his power to make her happy even though she doesn't really care about him that drives me crazy. Because I care about him... And I am sure there is a book to read or some psychological trick I can use to fix that jealousy issue... And I will keep looking for it...

oncechoosetosmile's picture

A few monthe ago I left ExSO - main reason- he allowed his daughter to be his mini wife. Even though he got better with her it seemed to late- she already believed she was entitled to be his no one and was very manipulative.Your jealousy is only a warning sign that something is not in balance.You should be his "babydoll" and his no 1 in my opinion- how else will you build a future and be his "life partner"? I feel of course also sorry for the daughter, but instead of behaving like a toddler and being rude she needs to be treated like a responsible adult! She doesn't need Dadddddddddyyyyyyyy to treat her with velvet gloves - she needs therapy to work on her issues.The problem I see is your SO allowing her to be rude to you and to play baby.Very unhealthy.Please don't marry him !!

Andgela's picture

My family is fine with him as long as he treats me right... I mean... I am not going to leave him if they say so, so I guess they decided to be supportive. They like him because is really is a good guy, everybody says that. That jealousy issue is my problem, not theirs...

I am jealous because she doesn't work for the things she gets. I worked like crazy though university. My dad flat out right told me I can buy my own car when I start working after uni. And when I was little and I would ask my mom for something and she says "I don't have money," for me the topic was finished. I don't ask about that again. This is how I have been raised.

The future SD whines how her dad has money but just doesn't want to buy her this or that. Truth is, her dad really, really, struggles with all the bills he has. She is 20, she works now, and she still doesn't appreciate the cost of money and she still doesn't understand that people may not have money for luxuries. Why? Because all the ,money she makes she immediately spends on clothes. She doesn't pay rent or help with bills or buy groceries for the house she lives in. She is in a hotel. Sometimes she cooks, more like a game, out of boredom, rather than genuine desire to help her elderly grandmother with something... idk...

twoviewpoints's picture

So what you're describing now is much different than what your original post was indicating. I don't think 'jealous/jealousy' is the what going on. You're not 'jealous' of the SD you merely dislike that she takes advantage of her father. The father that she whines and nags into just about every dime he has to his name.

This is a much different thing than you being jealous. You don't want to be like her and you don't approve of the way she allows father/grandparents to support her. As a young adult woman she is still acting the small child who expects her father to supply all her needs (not to mention an excessive amount of 'wants').

You really shouldn't agree to marry your SO until and/or if he gets his spending on his adult daughter under control. He has no savings and struggles to pay his bills, yet he continues planning on buying cars and higher education to his adult child. He won't have anything to help pay for his/your own household expenses. You'll be paying his mortgage and paying his car payments at the rate he's going. No book is going to be able to tell you how to get over what you're feeling because what's going on isn't jealously or a problem with a rude SD who doesn't like you. Even if she were to be suddenly all nice to you on Skype and post friendly messages to you online, the excessive adult child financial support is the root of what's wrong.

There are some women on the boards here that can tell how their husbands continue to ridiculously financially support the adult skids and some of the husbands try to do this not just at 20, but at 30, 40, 50.

Andgela's picture

It's everything... jealousy, her bad lifestyle.... just... the only problem that I can work on is the jealousy...

I don't think I will end up paying for his car or mortgage - my fiancee has a very strong sense of responsibility. He was in a marriage for 7 years before me and he paid all the bills. All of them. Something I completely disapprove of since we live in the 21st century and I am fully capable of paying for the light and water and the internet, for example. And everyone pays their own car/phone. He will never let me pay for such big things as a house. But he is not going to eat in his break between two jobs because his daughter wants a new jean jacket. Or he will go without changing the oil in his car for 2 months. Small things that only he suffers from, but since I love him I feel very bad for him.

mannin's picture

I feel sad for you. Aside from the jealousy thing.

You are 23 years old and settling. You could be traveling, getting an education, and living your life.

I'm a SM. It's not easy and I actually love my SS. You're in for years of heartache if you stay on this path. If you were my daughter, I'd ask you to reevaluate your life and goals.

Andgela's picture

Well,that's the point - I have always wanted an older guy. My mom? She thinks it's daddy issues. Maybe she is right. But this is the person to make me feel safe and this is the most important thing I want... What can I do? He is my choice... just the daughter isn't... but they go together I suppose...

Anon2009's picture

If this is really weighing you down, you might want to see a therapist. They can get to the root of the issue and help you devise a plan on how to deal with your feelings and her rudeness towards you.

One thing they'll surely recommend is staying out of your fiancé's relationship with his daughter. She has her own issues, many of which are valid. If and when she wants to sort them out with her dad, she'll do so. But she will be more likely to do so if you butt out. Everyone's given you terrific advice here. Please take it to heart and try to implement it in your life.

Andgela's picture

Thank you all for the answers and the good advice

Yes, I will take it to heart and I will try not to get into their relationship... we will see how it goes... Thank you Smile

Disneyfan's picture

Why you're upset with dad and daughter's give and take relationship is beyond me.

He has spent years teaching her that him buying her stuff was much more important than the two of them spending time together and having a normal parent/child relationship.

He set himself up as a human ATM instead of a father. So why be angry at her for treating him that way? He created the woman you're jealous of.

Disneyfan's picture

THIS

It appears that the OP had dad who wouldn't give her anything, while the SD had a dad who gave her way too much.

Daddy's wife's picture

I was 23 years old when I met my husband and he was 42 years old with a 19 year old daughter who also lived in a different country. I was jealous too. I think it was more the thought that allready done the marrying, getting children etc.
Plus about 7 months after we met OSD announced she was pregnant.
I wanted to be friends too with OSD. And she was friendly to me. Behind my back she was tekking lies about me.
I'm 42 now and my husband is 61. We have a 14 year old daughter together. My husband loves the fact he has a second chance with raising a child. I think osd is jealous though about him having another child. She told me once she hated us talking about her. After all she was his first daughter. She forgets she was already an adult.
Since I've been reading on here, I learned that I made a big mistake by keeoing in touch with her and now I don't. This is because osd is a major attention seeker and liar. Now Im not in touch, i have no idea what she is up too and it is much more peacefull.
I think you will grow out of your jealousy feelings.
I would check with your so if he thinks she will ever move in with you. I did too and he denied. When osd had problems and left her so and child i offered her to stay with us against my dh wishes. Big mistake. As a thank you she told dh i had a sexual relationship with her so. Who lived in another country :jawdrop:
Anyway, the only advise I can give you is to stay away from your sd. Keep indifferent. After all she lives far away, so she doesnt affect your life.

Patsy's picture

For cripes sake she lives in another country and you are jealous of their Skype time? That is a little much. What will you do if or when she moves to your country? What the heck will you do if she moves in with your fiance? What will you think if she has kids before you? There are so many more things to come your way that if this bothers you now you will never survive a marriage with this man. You do not have the skills to deal with all of this. When I was 20 I don't know that I would be able to deal with it either. I was so different in my twenties than what I am in my thirties.

Daddy's wife's picture

I think most men have a sex drive all their lives. Am I wrong? I can tell you my husband still has.
I notice most replies are about the age gap and not about the op's reason she wrote on here. Her feeling jealous.
Off course I wish my husband was 10 years younger, but only because Im worried about ending alone one day. But his age was never a problem in our relationship.
Heck, my grandad's third wife ( he was twice a widower) was a few years younger then my mum. His last daughter ( my half auntie) is younger then me. i'll shock you all but he was 80 years old when he got her. Smile
He passed away at the age of 102! And I can tell you, besided being a little deaf near the end, he was very fit for his age, and carried on working till the end.

Disillusioned's picture

I think this girl has has a difficult life with her father leaving, mother abusing her, and now her dad is about to marry someone her age :jawdrop:

Her behavior is not right towards you but it certainly is understandable

I would say she is probably has jealous and threatened by you being in her father's life, as you are with her ;(

Clearly her father suffers from guilt and is scrambling to keep her in his life. Allowing her to behave like a whiny child, constantly telling her she is beautiful and is his "baby doll" while this is nice, it may well be that he fears his relationship with you will push her over the edge and therefore he treats her this way to keep her believing she is # 1 in his life and doesn't need to be threatened by you...I think many of our DH's have done similar things to avoid the jealous heartache it would cause their kids when they bring a new woman into their life who their already unhappy kids fear will replace them. These men seem to think that by constantly reassuring their children that they are #1 the children will accept their dad's relationship with his new wife.

Unfortunately even if this were true, it sends an ugly hurtful message to the very woman they want to spend their life with. For sure this may well be why you feel jealous and unable to deal with this girl. Who wants to have the message sent to them that 'my daughter is the beautiful one, SHE'S my baby doll, she's #1 to me and you matter less'

I don't know if it will get better. Yes if you were able to overcome your jealousy and accept how your DH is going to treat you in comparison with his DD may help somewhat, but it doesn't mean it will ever get better between you and her.

I would recommend you not participate in their conference calls. Just because you were accepting of your SM's does not mean she has to be with you. Clearly neither of you enjoy these moments. Your SD has made it clear she would prefer to not have to deal with you and you have been clear you can't stand how your DH treats her, and you feel jealous during these discussions.

Perhaps if you let them talk and didn't get involved you would feel a whole lot less stress as you don't have to listen to the things that are making you feel jealous. At the same time, your SD may appreciate you giving her some space to talk with her dad alone

I wish you all the best with this

Andgela's picture

My best friend, a guy, age 25, once told me that I would be a fool to leave him... My friends like him, they say they have never seen me smile like that, or be so calm, so happy... Everybody who knows him constantly tells me "he is a good guy." Something I have seen for myself...

Andgela's picture

Thank you, everybody, but the age difference is something I am really not concerned about. My fiancee is latin.

Point first, their sex drive goes on and on forever, trust me, I can see his dad...

Point second, at the age of 61, when there is an occasion, his dad drinks all night with friends and parties like a 20 year old, so I have no fears whatsoever that it is going to be boring with my fiancee when I am 40 and he is 58. My fiancee and I go out to dance in the clubs every other friday. Dance, not get drunk like hell, there is a difference.

Latin people are very passionate and a little immature sometimes, which makes my fiancee and me a good match because he can act like a 20-year-old in a heartbeat. At the same time, he is responsible with his bills, job and family.

See, something that may be a problem I haven't mentioned is the cultural thing - Latin people would die for family. Their families are very close no matter how old the children are. Parents, uncles/aunts/children all party together and spend all holidays and every possible occasion together. I love that about them because I have never had a big family and I LOVE it when we are spending time with his. So... my future SD and her dad are going to be very close forever, and not necessarily because he is trying to overcompensate. They are just like that - very protective, very caring, very in-touch. This is why I am saying that the jealousy is MY issue and MINE alone...

And right now, as I am writing this, I don't feel jealous because I logically understand my own explanation. Problem is when I hear him call her "babydoll"... then no logic can help my jealousy, and for that I do need a counselor. But I don't have money for one anyways...

SugarSpice's picture

your being so close in age is part of the problem, i have to say. her being an adult only daughter makes things worse. she sees herself as the princess in his life.

on another matter, she may be a mini wife who considered her father as a surrogate husband. this is unhealthy, i know, but very common.

if so, its normal for your to be jealous. i don't blame you for feeling this way.

Andgela's picture

I know, right! I have never had a problem with my mom's boyfriends or my dad's wives... The fact that they hated me, on the other side, is a different matter... As an adult daughter myself, I really don't understand how this girl can be so hostile towards me... Age doesn't matter... I am in love with her dad, I will take care of him when he gets old. One would say, this guy is very lucky to have someone so young as a future wife. Isn't the daughter supposed to be happy that after a whole life of ruined relationships and women who have treated him really shitty ( like, slept in another room when he is sick and threw bottles at him) her dad finally found peace and love? Idk... everyone would be happy... everyone IS happy... except for her...

Valeria's picture

alone-married; I respectfully disagree that the OP's problem has nothing to do with cultural differences. As a woman married to a Latino with a huge extended family, not to mention his Late Wife's huge extended family, and all the Latino friends I have come to know over many years, I can say that my experience is that the cultural differences will be very noticeable. His family will back up his behavior with his daughter. The OP states that she had to work for everything and learned that from the time she was small. The Latino cultural I am familiar with is a very co-dependent one when compared to cultures that emphasize the individual over the family unit. That is why I mentioned cultural differences for consideration a few posts ago. It is very tough to fight culture.

Whatever the reason, this man will NOT change how he relates to his daughter. The OP will have to realize it and decide for herself if she can comfortably compromise and be content with being second to this girl always. She does not even have the status of being the girl's mother so IMHO this relationship will not turn out like she wants it to, not by a long shot. One can always point to the rare exception, but I believe that the advice from other posters given here is fueled by lots of experience and the stats are not on the OP's side.

up2myiballs's picture

POETIC JUSTICE FOR THE DH’S THAT MARRY A 23yo WITH HIS OWN DAUGHTER BEING 20yo.
I am assuming the dynamics of the relationship…keeping and being kept. Now during this bliss the new young wife gets pregnant. Fast forward 5 years. The relationship is doomed. The DH is now DH2 with a 25yo BD and a 5 yo Bkid. He’s 46 trying to find another “mate” with all of that baggage. He’ll be 58 when child support stops. POETIC JUSTICE. I’m sure his Match.com reads …DM seeking someone stupid enough to jump on this train wreck.

Mindygirl1's picture

You have a long way to go.....His Daughter is not going away. Unfortunately you can be replaced. She won't be. You start nagging and eventually he won't love you anymore. That is a fact of life. Why would you think you would be 2nd place??? You are not competing for the same thing. You still have a lot of maturing to do...AND that is why a 41 year old man should not be with a 20 something young lady.... Nuff said....

Andgela's picture

I know we are not competing for the same thing... but, ok, this is going to sound stupid, but is true- if there was a fire in the house and he can save only one of us, he will not choose me, he will choose to save her. That kind of love I am talking about. While, in any situation, I will choose him first over anyone else.

Now, I fully realize that if we have a child together, I will tell him to save the child from the fire... because it's my child and I will sacrifice for him/her.

It's really messed up, my logic, I know it.... but I hope you are right and I have a long way to GO... as long as I GO, as long as I keep maturing, at some point I will stop being jealous of this girl. And this is all I can hope for...

maa157's picture

I can honestly relate to you, my soon to be step daughter is 24 and I'm 26. At first our relationship was good, at least I thought so. She started stealing my clothes, perfumes to take to her dorm at college. This made me mad. However my fiance always has my back within reason I think that's what bothers her. So I just stopped trying, I'm respectful to her that's it. So I suggest that you just stop trying, you can change how she feels, and you can't tell her dad what he can't buy for her. All you can do is just agree with him and just tell him he is a good dad, but also put your foot down slowly. My fiance used too do the same. One I started pointing out what we need, he slowly stopped being a sucker. Just unfollow her from your fb, no need to delete. You have to realize that you can be friends with her and once you accept that you'll be ok. Trust me I used to be in your shoes. Now I can care less of her opinion.