You are here

Is it me or....?

Nada1984's picture

Will try to keep it short and to the point but I have a lot to vent : lived with spouse almost 4 years, married for over 3. Stepson is 20 yrs old and lives full time with us. He has dropped out of school twice now, has no intentions of going back and works here and there at a job on an as-needed basis - sometimes it's every day and other times it's once or twice every couple of weeks. He pays no rent, pays no bills, we still buy his personal items like shampoo, saline, deodorant etc.  (when he uses them), found out recently that husband has been paying for 20 yr olds car insurance this whole time (despite husband telling me we couldn't afford health insurance) and 20 yr old spends his money on whatever he wants to, like expensive $15 a plate lunches or gourmet pizza restaurants.  We don't ask 20 yr old to do anything but stay clean and the kid can't do it, he won't even take the trash out when it's full (he instead balances trash on the top of a full trash can and leaves it for someone else to take care of).  I have talked to husband for 4 years about his children, their personal hygiene and lack of responsibility. The 12 yr old is doing great and when he is here, husband constantly reminds him to brush teeth, use deodorant , throw away his trash and water bottles etc.  The 20 yr old is somewhat better now but still disgusting. Zzz Last October I finally flipped my lid and went over my husband and called out the 20 yr old bc husband's  "talks" clearly had not worked the whole 3 1/2 years I had lived with them here. I usually stay out of things where his kids are concerned and I don't go in 20yr olds bedroom, but the times that I have it has always been in disgusting condition. For over 3 years I had left it up to my husband to talk to him about this stuff and to make sure things are kept cleaned up. The kid literally had fast food bags of trash (with food in them) laying on top of piled up trash in his floor all around his feet under his desk and under his bed. Dirty clothes and wet towels piled in the hamper/floor for 2+weeks, and he had had no shower in 6 days at that point - SIX DAYS - it smelled awful in his room.  I have found open cupcake wrappers with half eaten cupcakes left in 20 yr olds bed before. He has been caught several times using the restroom (both number 1 and number 2) and not washing his hands, then getting into the fridge or chip bag, then lying to his dad when confronted. I do not trust him when he claims he has washed his hands and I feel like I have to go around with bleach and paper towels and disinfect everything that I think he's touched during the day. I am now having to keep my salad stuff and blocks of cheese I use for cooking out in the garage fridge so he doesn't touch them bc he was making a salad several days ago and his fingernails were so gross I almost gagged as I watched him handle the head of lettuce....Husband told me later that he asked 20yr old if he washed his hands before getting into the lettuce, block of cheese and crouton bag - of course 20 yr old said yes and husband automatically believed him, but I do not trust him, as he has been caught twice lying about that. I ended up throwing all 3 things away after I found what looked like crumbs of some kind on the block of cheese. I HAVE gotten ill before from a restaurant who had nasty cooks who did not wash their hands so I guess I'm extra paranoid. 20 yr old showers 2-3 times a week now (before it was once a week even if he worked every day. When he was in HS he played baseball and would go to bed after his games without showering and no one ever told him it was gross). I can tell that 20yr old is still not using soap or shampoo bc he never smells like he does, the bathroom never smells like it does after the 12 yr old or husband showers and they all 3 use strong smelling man soap.  20 yr olds hair never looks clean but rather greasy, even after a shower. His clothes and body have a smell, like a mildewed clothes and greasy hair/oily body smell. You can smell that smell in the hall even when his door is closed. I have purposely turned his toothbrush a certain way so I can tell if he's moved it or not - his toothbrush will stay unmoved for 6-8 days at a time (despite thousands that were spent on his teeth for braces). 20yr old is allegedly going to start paying for his own car insurance now that he's dropped out of school again, he washes his hands more now and he does take the trash out when he sees that it's full. I'm also going to tell husband that 20 yr old is going to have to start purchasing his own toiletries. He needs more responsibilities at this age. My issue now is I've grown to not like this kid anymore. He's disgusting and gross and I would never live with a roommate who is like this. I hate feeling like there is possibly feces on the microwave or fridge handles, I hate feeling like I have to hide things I want to eat bc I'm scared of getting sick again. I hate smelling that smell he has, I never goes away. I also can't have a conversation with my husband without this 20 yr old butting in and asking what we're talking about. I've even tried to embarrass him when he's butted in and it didn't work bc he did it again a few days later.  I told 20 yr old last fall if things didn't change he's going to have to go stay with his mom for awhile and that didn't go over very well with either him or husband, I think both may have actually cried about it. I really don't care at this point. I'm not happy with the living arrangements or with an adult child living off of us while I need insurance and he contributes zero. I'm hoping more will change, I'm just very unhappy with this whole situation.   I don't know what to do, or if there even is anything I can do about any of it.  Any advice or helpful comments are welcome 

Davidp's picture

I feel for you Nada.  I guess it all depends on how much you can take.  Very similar situation I have lived for 3 years with 2 adult SS.  Unfortunately nothing will change unless biological parent stops enabling so there are really 2 problems.   Even if everything were fixed tomorrow how long would it take to stand on his own 2 feet and live on his own?  My 22 yo SS is no further ahead now than he was when we blended the family 3 years ago .  Actually further behind because he's 3 years older and has.done nothing productive.   I sure as heck wouldn't hire him. It got to a point I didn't want to come home.  All I can recommend is making sure you're partner knows how you feel, agree on a timeline or rules that must be followed and be prepared to follow through on whatever you have to do to protect upur health and sanity.  I realize that bio parent has had the entire kids life to develop their own coping mechanisms for their kids terrible behavior. That could be denial or drinking or lots of hobbies or whatever.  You have not had to do that and so here you are thinking maybe its you.  Trust me its not.  I've taken the drastic route of separating living arrangements.  Thankfully we're both able to afford to be on our own and support our own kids and I hope my gf and I can survive it but I'm prepared if.it doesn't.  We had way more quality time and were a much better couple living apart and making the most of our time.together.

Everyone has their limit and I think you'll know when you hit yours but would be a shame to get their without making every effort to communicate with your partner.

I think we have an epidemic on our hands with lazy, entitled young adults who have not wanted for anything their entire lives.  Its scary to think about but maybe I'm just sounding like our parents when they talked about us Smile

Its not you.  Take care of yourself and best of luck

shellpell's picture

I could never live in such a situation, especially since it seems your husband isn't doing much to rectify it. Is your marriage worth living in constant fear of eating feces-contaminated food? 

Nada1984's picture

This 20 yr old and the issues there are the only thing that hubs and I argue about. I have talked to hubs many times, and again this evening. He never says much other than he understands and he will talk to 20yr old and point things out to him. And things feel tense around the house after and things change for 6 or 8 weeks and then they go back to more of the same. I feel bad still complaining bc overall 20 yr old isn't a bad kid. He doesn't drink or do drugs of any kind, doesn't smoke cigarettes, isn't a trouble maker at all. He hardly leaves his room except on days he goes to work, on Thurs nights he has a sporting event and comes right home after, always calling to tell his father he's heading home when he's finished. I would estimate that he goes to a friends house once every 4-6 months. He has a car and money yet spends all of his free time in bed sleeping/playing on his phone or sitting in the dark at his computer games. Hubs and I have the house to ourselves for a couple hours on those Thurs nights and twice a year when 20 yr old spends the night with his mother on his bday and Christmas. Needless to say all these kids have been coddled and kept safe from their feelings ever being hurt or having to have responsibilities of any kind, including personal hygiene. It's really sad actually. The 12 yr old does great with things until he spends a week at his mothers house. He comes back to our house and his hair is dirty and oily and his face is all broke out with pimples. It's definitely not all her fault and I see that. If I could afford a small apartment on my own I might do that for awhile until 20 yr old either changes for good or leaves himself. Which he won't do bc why would he leave when he has no responsibilities at all?  I can't afford it anyhow so I am stuck. I'm very unhappy living with the 20 yr old now. I wish it had not came to this and idk how to go back in time and like this kid like I used to. I mean 4 years of this, it's kinda hard to hit reverse... thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated 

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Sounds like it's time for SS to go live with his other shi!!y parent - forever.

I'm curious about how you and your H handle finances. Are you paying half the bills? If so, separate finances, and pay a percentage based on being only one of the 3.5 people living there. Build up a nest egg while allowing your H to fully experience having to support a grown man.

It's sad that there are so many screwed up young adults living this way because their lazy/guilty/conflict avoidant parents have stunted their development. Have you asked your H what his launch plan is for SS, and where he sees his son in five years, ten years? Good parents push their kids and hold them accountable.

Davidp's picture

I like futurobrilliant99's idea. Definitely worth a try.  At the very least SO will know you're not messing around any more.   Thats a good one for sure

Movingonisbest's picture

Since school didn't work out for your SS, has he ever considered military service? That might be a good way for him to become independent and gain a skill.

Rags's picture

It has worked wonders for my SS.  He is approaching his 10 year service date in the USAF.  He has completed his ASCS and is working on completing his BS.  He just submitted his paperwork for a 6 year re-enlistment which will get him to within 4 years of retirement service duration.  

He has always been an extremely smart and capable person.  He just lacked the maturity to perform to capability.  His mom and I got him to 18 and HS graduation. He was not ready for college so ... .we lit a burning platform under him and made his presence in our home extremely burdensome, then we started guiding him toward setting up appointments with military recruiters.

He scored in the top 2% on the ASVABs.  Once his scores came in all of the services were after him.  The USAF approached him with the best career plan.  The USMC was #2.  He ruled out the Navey and Coast Guard because "Dad, I don't like boats" and the Army because he was not impressed with the Army after two years of Military School.  

His mom and I would have sent him to university anywhere in the world. He was self aware and mature enough to know that he wasn't ready to put in the effort.  He told us that he understood it was important and he would finish his degree but he wasn't ready and it would be a waste of his time and our money.

We have taken a lot of comfort in knowing that he is being supervised by professionals who are experts in providing young people with motivation and guidance in their personal and professional growth.  

Movingonisbest's picture

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story Rags! It is great your SS is able to build a career in the AF while simultaneously working towards his degree! I'm not certain why more SKids don't go that route. It makes them independent at a young age, they are taught responsibility, gain a skill, and can even further their education. It's a no brainer when it comes to joining the military or looking for guilty fathers to give them handouts forever. 

I tried to get my ex to have his adult kids look into the military because all of them had been adults for 7 or so years with none had a career or skill. They were all living with other people, the ones who had kids couldn't afford to take care of them, and they were continuously calling him for money. Smh. So glad I ended that relationship. That was nothing but a circus. Can't believe he still calls me. No way in hell am I being apart of a mess like that.lol

Rags's picture

Happy to share. It has worked well for us.

Sadly so many parents have cast themselves not as parents but as coddling support bitches to their failed adult children.  Failure drives learning, learning drives success.  These familed kidults cannot learn if their parents do not let them crash and burn... or even actively facilitate the crashing and burning when a kid is a leeching sofa rodeo incubus succubus/incubus on the parents life force.

Fortunately most kids have some drive and motivation to pursue their adult lives, even the ones who have parental support into their early adult years for college, etc.... For those that have no drive, 18 and out and they can finish growing up on their own tie and their own dime.

IMHO of course.

Our son was terrified, but... he had experienced leaving home just after his 15th BD to attend Military School for his Jr. and Sr. years of HS.  When he was getting closer to his MEPS reporting date to in process then leave for USAF BMT I pointed out to him that he had already done this once and that he would be far ahead of his peers at BMT because he already knew military ranks, how to shine shoes and brass, how to set up his clothing in SOP format, knew how to march, had been through his RAT year at military school which is in many ways more rigorous and challenging than Basic training.

12 weeks later we watched our far more confident young Airman graduate from BMT.  His ASVAB scores landed him an exclusive USAF career specialty and he has done well for his nearly 10 years of service.

Nada1984's picture

I can't stop laughing at "leeching sofa rodeo incubus" LMAO.  Rags, tell your SS thank you for his service!  No, I doubt that my SS (I'm slowly learning the lingo lol) has ever considered the military. I KNOW it would be great for him bc he needs someone outside his circle to be honest with him about some things and give him responsibilities rather than worrying about not hurting his feels and making his youth as easy as possible. I have a 24yr old bio son who has been ruined by my own enabling parents - that is a whole other jacked up mess there. They're on a repeat of my brother with my son, doing the same with him as they did with my now 50yr old bro who has lived with his GF and her parents in the parent's living room for over 7 yrs. .... just saying 

Idk why ppl can not understand that caring more about not hurting feelings, or making a child's life as easy as possible by doing everything for them and never asking for them to do anything ever, that crap handicaps a kid. Why is coddling more important to some ppl over trying to teach a child to be strong and not dependent upon other ppl, learning how to take care of themselves and being more helpful to others? Not making everything about the child ALL the time? letting children constantly ask for things and never teaching them to reciprocate?  It seems easy to see yet we see more coddling parents/grandparents than we see otherwise. And then ppl wonder why kids today are so weak and need safe spaces at college....

I do not want to be a nag to hubs. Idk how to get him to stop doing things like asking SS20 at 9pm if he ever ate dinner. SS says no, and then 20 minutes later hubs is taking him a bowl of Mac n chz to his bedroom to eat in the dark, where he has been for the last 9 hours playing computer games after getting up at noon. I can't stand it when hubs does this kind of stuff.  I want to say to him why do you keep reminding him to eat dinner? If he gets hungry enough he needs to pause his stupid game long enough to get up out of the dark and go make himself food when we aren't home to make it for him?  And then again I think about how I really would rather SS stay OUT of the kitchen and food and never touch anything in there lol. It's rather a catch22. And it's also a turn off for me when hubs does that crap. I can't stand it but I don't want to nag, either....ugh