You are here

Interesting dynamic at a funeral today

CandyLou's picture

Today I was at my dear friend Michael's mother's funeral. His mother (Alice) had one son (Tom) with her first husband. The first husband was killed when Tom was 6 months old. Alice later remarried Daniel and they had two sons. So Daniel and Alice raised the three sons. Tom (the oldest son) gave the eulogy today and he was so dismissive of his stepfather! He went on and on about his father, then he said "my mom remarried and had two sons Sam and Michael". No acknowledgment of his stepfather's name or anything about him! Daniel raised his stepson from when he was 6 and at his mother's funeral he couldn't even bring himself to acknowledge him! Also I noticed that this stepson didn't even sit with his stepdad and half brothers!

Why am I bringing this up? Well while I was there I was thinking about what would happen at my partner's funeral (God forbid) but let's face it, one day...but anyway I thought I wouldn't put it past DH's kids to completely dismiss me at their father's funeral! How painful would that be!!?

Has this ever happened to anyone you know? I think that would be the ultimate slap in the face to a lifetime of exclusion and hurt from these brats!!

Sorry am I bitter and twisted!! LOL

CandyLou

sandye21's picture

The SS should be taken aside and informed what an ass he is. It is sick but not surprising. I know this sounds awful but I told DH I will let SD36 know where he's buried - after the fact. DH says he wants a quiet funeral or none at all. From past experience I KNOW she will not behave like an adult and would create a scene.