You are here

I am at a total loss

Tiredofit's picture

I have been married to my DH for 25 years. I have 1 SS and 1 SD, both adults in their early 30's. We have been to hell and back during our marriage with his ex over the kids. We have done everything we could do to try and make this a family. We have had to beg and fight just to have visitation. My DH has always paid his support, college and helped them get their lives on track. We paid 10 thousand for the SD's first wedding reception that her mother stepped in and controlled. My DH was still paying for that when the SD got her divorce. Recently, SD got remarried and decided this time to do a destination wedding. My DH job was in jeopardy at the time with the bailouts etc. and we really didn't have the funds to go. Besides that, this was our 25th wedding anniv. year and we wanted to save what money we had to maybe take a short trip for ourselves. Neither of us relished the thought of taking what money we had and spend it on the beach with his ex, who has made our life a living hell. We went and visited with SD and her fiance and explained to them the circumstances. We also gave them a 1,000.00 wedding gift. Everything appeared to be fine. A few months after their trip, they saw that we had done some painting in our home for updates and also learned of our plans to take an anniversary trip, (90% was free because DH is a frequent flyer through work). I guess that was the last straw for her. Now it seems that any and everything bad that has ever happened in her life is my fault. She refuses to be around me because I am to blame for us not going to the wedding. She also would like to know what my "problem" is with her. A little background on SD...she has always walked around with a sense of entitlement. She lived with us for a short time and felt she should be allowed to have sex with her boyfriend while we are in th home. Apparently it was our fault because we didn't send her away to college, she had to live here while doing so, therefore she is entitled. My DH and I don't feel like we have ever been an important part of either of their lives, like the only reason we ever get a phone call is because they need something. Forget being acknowledged at your birthday, they can't even return a phone call. Literally, my DH has left phone calls that aren't returned for weeks. Anyway, we both feel used and now to find out that I am the one that created all of this is just too much. She is insisting that my DH and I come over to her home so she can once and for all tell us just what she feels. Personally, I have no plans to talk with her about it, she is totally disrespectful to me and my husband and isn't willing to assume any responsibility for any of her actions. Truly, I have NEVER heard the words I'm sorry come out of her mouth. I don't know what to do anymore, other than stay away from her.

Tiredofit's picture

I didn't include the fact that there have been family discussions with the SD30 before. This is really not about resolution because there is no talking to her. It has always turned into a screaming match. She has one view and that is her own. This is not just my perception, it's DH's as well. If I felt in my heart that the meeting would really be to resolve emotional hurts, I would be there with bells on. In truth, however, I know that this will just be a bashing party with me being the guest of honor. If this were for resolution, I have whole heartedly apologized MANY times in the past when I felt she had her feelings hurt for whatever reason, this is something she is incapable of doing. In my opinion, the reason she isn't able to forgive me is because she really doesn't know why she feels the way she does. It is just a culmination of 25 years of resentment burned into her by a CRAZY BM. She was always told that my BD and myself had taken her place and how DH had a "new family" now. BM put both SD and SS through torture growing up. BTW, BM is the one who pursued a divorce, my DH loved her and wanted to work on their marriage. Anyway, we have always tried to show them how we were all a family, providing their own bedrooms in our home, taking family vacations, being present at all of their activities, showing tons of affection and anything else we could think of to blend. I think the only person that can help her really get to the bottom of her problems is a psychologist. She also resents the fact that her father and I wanted her to try and work out her problems in her first marriage, not just slam the door. God knows we have been through enough hell in our marriage to give advice on trying to make things work, not just run out the door the first time the going gets tough. It has nothing to do with my being a "grown adult" and leading by example. I have taken the high road for 25 years, walked around on egg shells because it seemed no matter what I did, it was hurting her feelings. She hears that it's going to rain tomorrow and it's my fault....get the picture? She's not looking to resolve anything, she wants to point out all of my shortcomings. My DH has spoken with her over the phone about her issues and she is still hung up on the fact that 11 years ago, after she graduated high school, when she moved in with us that he had a private chat with her and told her that she is to respect me as an authority while living here. Apparently, that really stuck in her craw. For that to be one of her complaints 11 years later. Hell, she doesn't even admit that she doesn't return DH phone calls, so I can't expect her to admit the reasons of my "having a problem with her" could possibly be her fault. My problem with her is that she has a sense of entitlement about her, regarding everything. Everything is Everyone's fault other than her own. This all escalated when my BD sent out invitations for my 50th bday. SD agreed to make an appetizer to bring. The next day she sent my BD an email telling her that for personal reasons she wouldn't be able to bring one and that she would explain to my BD but BD just wouldn't understand. She continued on that "her voice and life events" don't get heard. Well, let me tell you, we hear them LOUD AND CLEAR. She said she just couldn't bring herself to do anything nice for me since it was my fault that DH and I didn't attend her 2nd wedding in Mexico!! It's always been about her needs and our failures AND what we can do for her. Quite frankly, if it makes me a bad person to finally say ENOUGH, then so be it.

LONGTIME SM's picture

Dear tired - welcome. Your experiences sound very similar to mine so you have my deepest sympathy (I am married for 27 years and have 1 sd and 1 ss both about mid 30s.). What it boils down to is that if you are not doing for them or spending your money on them they get mad.

I see no reason why they would expect you to attend a second wedding that was a costly destination wedding in lieu of going on a 25th anniversary trip. They probably unrealistically expected you to foot more of the bill for this wedding - hence the cause of their anger at finding out that you actually spent a little of your own money on yourself!!! LOL! How dare you!!!!!!! This sounds so much like my Skids!

I think that a 1k wedding gift was more than generous enough since she is now in her 30s. But age does not seem to matter with these entitled skids! No matter how old they get, they feel you should be doing for them. It is hard for me to understand this forever sense of entitlement! At a certain point they should accept the fact that they need to assume reponsibility, and yes that also means financial responsibility for themselves!

I have always read that you are not an adult until you realize that you have to assume responsibility for your own future and that you can not go though life blaming others (parents, Sparents, etc) for the way your life is turning out! I recall having that aha moment myself when in my mid 20s! Why does that aha moment never seem to come for so many of these adult skids!

My SD and SS also wanted to meet several months back to jump all over us after thier latest adult temper tantrum - then backed out. I never wanted to meet because I have in the past let their father deal with their tirades and temper tantrums - they are his kids. I figured I could not stand by like DH and not tell them like I see it if we did talk and since neither one would ever apologize for their actions I could see only more animosity coming out of such a meeting. They have now gone almost a year without talking to their father or me. We have found that what is best for our present family is to let it go and go ahead and lead our own lives without them in it since they refuse to return DH's calls.

If at some later date they eventually do apologize to DH I plan for myself and minor BDs to maintain our distance from them as I simply can no longer expose my minor children to such outrageous behavior! Plus I will no longer ever tolerate them being rude to me in my own home again!

Therefore, keeping your distance is probably your best option - If your SD and Husband later decide to reconnect - I would still keep my distance because fair or not SD will always use you as the scapegoat! By the way - all of the responses that I recieved on here for this same topic recommended that I not meet with them if that is any help.

Tiredofit's picture

Dear Longtime, what a relief to actually find out someone else has had similar problems with their SS and/or SD. I can't believe how your insight hit the nail on the head. Our situations sound so much alike I felt as if I was reading my own thoughts. It has truly gotten to the point with both SD and SS that I find it hard to even think about the holidays. I'm sure we won't see SD because she wants the "meeting of the minds" first. I, like you have let DH handle all of their tirades. Usually if they have a complaint, they call his cell phone anyway. DH is very soft spoken (almost as if he is worried he will lose them if he speaks up even though he feels like I do) and has told SD that we will set up a time to talk. I plainly told him, there is NO WAY that I will sit and be attacked and disrespected by someone who isn't capable of admitting fault and blaming the wicked SM for every negative thing in her life. I think one of the things that upsets me is the fact that after all of the years of HELL we went through with a sociopathic BM, I am now expected to join in for every birthday for the grand kids, Easter, home decor party and a multitude of other occasions when she is invited also. Don't get me wrong, I have done this in the past, with a smile on my face and tried to appear to be comfortable for the SD/SS sakes and to not cause more hurt for my DH. NO MORE! Why am I always the one who has to accept everything so this can all appear normal? How can they sit back and expect this of me after all that she personally put DH and I through for all these years, let alone what her actions have done to them?! We have done so many things to accomodate SS/SD it sickens me. We don't really matter to them, there are never calls to see how we are or any type of communication unless we initiate it. It is so one sided and I really don't understand why it's this way. Last Thanksgiving, we moved our time together with SS/SD to the Saturday before so we could accomodate them being able to spend the holiday with the other in-laws, BM etc.. 2 weeks before that Saturday, I sent a nice email to them all reminding them of the dinner and what would be served, the time, etc. The email I received from my SS wife was apologetic telling me that they had forgotten about the dinner and how she had planned to go with SD that day so SD could try on wedding dresses. SD called DH at work to tell him that she had forgotten as well and had dress appts. and she and fiance were having furniture delivered that afternoon. She said they would be there ASAP that afternoon. DH told them that dinner would be served at 3 p.m.(I was baking a prime rib that can't sit for 2 hours, waiting). SD showed up at around 230. Her fiance however was still at home 40 mins away waiting on the furniture. DH and I had no problem with that but the prime rib I had prepared couldn't wait for him (he had asked us not to wait). When I announced that dinner was being served, if looks could kill I would have dropped dead right there. She was so furious with me that she was shaking. She remained in the living room and I wasn't aware that she was upset until I went in and told her again that dinner was ready. She couldn't even look at me, her eyes were darting around and she snipped that she was waiting for her fiance. I kindly said, "well, honey, why don't you atleast come in and have a glass of tea with us?" I'm sure she was thinking how big of a bitch I was for not waiting. I didn't do it intentionally, I had other guests and everyone else was hungry. This is just a prime example that no matter what I do, it isn't the right thing. I have heard the theory of why we didn't go to her wedding...........it's because I supposedly thought it was extravagant..I personally could care less, as long as my DH didn't have to pay for it again. God, I could go on and on. I guess I am just grasping at straws to try and figure them out. I had so hoped that when they grew up they could finally have a relationship with their father. I guess there is too much psychological hurt for that to ever happen, 99% of which I blame on their BM and her sick mind games when they were growing up. Thanks again for listening to me ramble...sincerely.

LONGTIME SM's picture

Feel free to ramble on. It feels good to vent after all of the years we've put up with this! I too was expected to attend all of the events you mentioned with BM as though all of the ugly things she had said and done to DH and me had never occurred! I chuckled at your mention of "home decor party" because I was invited to these also! LOL!

The holidays at our house this year should be peaceful for the first time in a while as since skids are not talking to us they will not be invited!

And like you, I too tried to accomodate them during past holidays spending time that I did not have (since I work and commute) masking dishes that they requested for them to show up late or not at all and then refuse to eat when they did come. After doing all of the Christmas or Thanksgiving preparation and being exhausted from it - they would then get mad if I would not babysit the grandchildren the day after the holiday so they could have a fun day with BM and/or friends!

Last Christmas they even had the grandkids ask if I would let them sleep over Christmas night! I was almost speechless! I told them gently no that on a holiday we needed to be with our family in our own homes! I could tell from the expression on SD's face though that she was not happy that I had not said yes!

Unbelievable!

Tiredofit's picture

I don't even know what to expect at Christmas this year. I usually have Christmas brunch and they have always come until last year when the BM decided she wanted to do a brunch instead of a dinner...(typical) So, last year we didn't see the grand kids until days after. SD did show up for 30 or 45 minutes, however. I cried and told her that it meant a lot to us for her to atleast show up, we have taken a back seat so many years with the BM in control, and had this ridiculous idea that when the kids grew up things would change. NOT!! This year we have been instructed however that there WONT be any gifts purchased or exchanged. I balked at first because I always buy them all dinner certificates and we watch the babies while they go and enjoy a quiet dinner. This year I was told after asking if I may atleast do that, "NO GIFTS SM"! We are being allowed to purchase gifts for the children, thank GOD! Anyhow, I totally understand how you feel, 99% of the time I not only prepare the ENTIRE meal, I get all the clean up as well, (my BD does help me with that, however). When I grew up and on my side of the family, EVERYONE pitches in with the cooking and then the clean up. I don't understand the concept of show up right at dinner time and then go watch tv while I clean it all up, like they are at a restaurant or something. It's unnerving!!! LOL Thanks for listening!!! :o))

LONGTIME SM's picture

You ought to consider you and your husband starting a new tradition for Christmas where the two of you go off to a quaint inn for a couple of days to celebrate. This way you may not feel the loss like you did last year. We don't really feel the profound loss that you describe when they don't come over because we have two BDs that are still minors, a few other family visitors and have wonderful neighbors who drop by to celebrate. Plus they have been playing these we'll come and then not show up games for years so we are used to no shows!

Tiredofit's picture

DH and I have discussed this before! I would love to do a little bed and breakfast/wine tasting road trip. I'm not sure if this year will be the time as I am caring for an ailing parent that is on hospice and we don't go too far from home. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. I can't believe how good it feels to open up and be able to share experiences and feelings on this website. I wish I would have found it a long time ago! Smile

Sasha's picture

There would be no way in hell I would go to her house knowing full well the only thing she's going to do is get all over your case for every perceived slight you've visited upon her. That would be akin to walking into the lion's den. Does she really think that everything you do and everything you have is for her sole benefit? Sounds like she has a very severe case of short term memory loss.

Nope. She can either put it in writing so that you can address each point with facts, OR she can come to your house, say her peace after which you can politely show her to the door.

Orange County Ca's picture

This kid will never change. You can appease her and have all the "family" (sorry there is no family here) meetings you want nothing will ever change.

The line will constantly move, the more Dad gives in the more she'll want.

Listen this kid doesn't like you. She never did and she never will. Just stay out of her life. Tell Dad that he is free to do whatever he wishes but you are simply not participating in his kids life any longer. If this means you go and visit your sister or Las Vegas for Christmas then that's the way it is.

Let him deal with her. Support him at home if he needs it but don't interact with her in anyway. You have absolutely no obligation to this kid. You did your best now walk away from her.

buttercup123's picture

I agree 100% with the above statement. The skid is a selfish, spoiled little brat. Stay out of her life as she isn't your obligation, and all she does is drive you nuts. She won't change, so stop wasting your time and put your effort towards your marriage.

Tiredofit's picture

My SD is as manipulative as her BM. SD moved in with us in 1997 after she was punished by BM for staying out all night after her high school graduation. Of course BM being the neurotic she is, didn't know when to end the punishment. She took SD's car from her and refused to give it back. SD was working full time. After a few days, SD moved in with us. BM still withheld the car for another couple of weeks and went so far as to put a for sale sign on it, telling SD she wasn't ever getting the car back (which was great considering we were having to commute her back and forth to work 35 minutes away and there were 2 other children in the home that were still in school). In the end, DH had to go out and buy SD ANOTHER car. Hence how SD came to live with Daddy. After 2 years of her trying to run the house and putting up with her entitled attitude not to mention her total disrespect and her thinking she could have sex in her bedroom across the hall from our 6 year old BS, we had a huge confrontation. She, not willing to accept any wrong doing on her part and unable to apologize for anything or follow the rules, she moved in with her boyfriend. Soon after, DH received an email from her laying out why she felt it necessary to leave. She was tired of not being shown respect. How I clearly was jealous of her because of her achievements and financial stature at such a young age(LOL) and how she felt it unfair that she had to buy her own personal items (tampons, shampoo, razors, etc.). Now, to hear it told, the reason she moved in with DH was to finally after all the years of hell from BM to keep her from her dad, she decided to move in with daddy so they could finally have a relationship! OMG!! AND....how now, instead of it being BM interfering, it was now me, the wicked, wicked SM!! Well, that was 11 years ago, and there is still NO relationship.........I refuse to take the blame for her lack of trying. I have NEVER stepped between SD and her father, he has told her and SS that he doesn't know what more to do to have a relationship with them, after all they can't return a phone call and the only time we ever saw them was when we made the effort. OLD STORY...NEW DAY ))