You are here

Dont have relationship with SD....do i need to be in her wedding pictures?

Had Enough77's picture

My DH has been divorced for 10 yrs and I have been with him for 5 yrs now - we just got married last summer. He has a now 19 yr old and a 25 yr old step-daugher from his first marriage. During the time I have been with him, the 25 yr old has barely been in our lives. only at christmas or when she needs something from my DH. Last yr I tried to orangize with his daughters and family, a group gift for his 40th and the girls were extremely rude to me about it, especially the 25 yr old. I gave up trying to have any kind of relationship with them after that. I refuse to be treated like garbage. The older one had a kid last yr and due to pressure from hubby initially made gestures to be included in that....i bought baby clothes, etc but at no point was i ever thanked or acknowledged for that from the 25 yr old. Like i said, she is a disrespectful spoiled brat.2 months ago she had the audacity to text my DH and ask if he and I will contribute financially to her wedding. I told him Id give her what she gave us for our wedding - absolutely nothing. He is fine with that, although he did give her some money. Now, since he gave her money she is including him in the wedding which is THIS friday! we were invited but up to this point we hadn't been included in any wedding plans whatsoever. She has now relayed a msg through DH that she wants us to stick around for family pictures after the ceremony and want my BS and I to stay for them to. I really don't want to. Honestly, I wish i wasn't even going to this wedding. There is no relationship here, I'm tired of her drama and dont want to be a part of her circus. DH is going to stay for the picture taking which i fully encourage and support. Is it wrong if i just take my son and go for coffee after the ceremoney and return in time for the dinner/reception?!

Anon2009's picture

I think it's best to avoid forcing yourself to do something you don't want to do when you can. Being fake is never fun for anyone. Your SD had a motive in asking you to be in the pictures. It's hard to determine what that motive is but it will surface in time.

This SD doesn't like you and you don't like her. Why pretend differently? Take your BS and get that coffee so you don't fall asleep during the reception and toasts gushing about what a "great" person SD is.

emotionaly beat up's picture

Well my first reaction would be to say if you don't want to be in the photos don't be. BUT, she has invited you and your son, she has asked you both stay to be in the family photos. On the surface, and more importantly what your dh will see if you refuse is, she did the right thing, she extended the olive branch and YOU WOULD NOT ACCEPT, YOU ARE THE ONE CAUSING PROBLEMS between him and his daughter. Trust me on that one.

Had Enough77's picture

Im really torn. I really WANT to just leave after the ceremony, stand my ground and refuse to put on a show/lie. i feel like i'd be playing into her game and compromising myself for someone who doesnt give me the time of day. And yet as mentioned by emotianly beat up - if i dont go along with this farce i will be the one who looks bad to everyone there and this will just be another thing she can hate me for. I feel like I cant win either way. I wont know anyone at the wedding other than my DH, my SD's and my in-laws. The rest of the people there will be my DH ex's family and i know I will be judged no matter what I say/do. This stupid event is causing me lots of anxiety and i really hate to admit that Sad

SLTJ's picture

I think its a nice gesture to want to include you - its very easy to be negative which alot on this group seem to be, isnt it worth one last chance? Would it really hurt to stay? I am a wedding photographer and I see this all the time - its one day infact its just a few hours surely you can manage that? Like you say you will look bad so best to be sweet and kind and then that will annoy them even more if they are looking for something but atleast you've done the right thing.

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

A lot of us are realistic, not negative. We have been played, tricked and abused too many times. Your opinion is valid but please don't accuse other posters as being negative. That is not helpful.

Had Enough77's picture

I truly believe shes not doing it because shes being nice - as someone posted earlier there is something she wants, she has an ulterior motive. Thats that way she works. She ignored her father for months then out of the blue finally invites him over to her place for coffee. sure enough the next day texts him asking us for money for her wedding. She probably wants a house....
ugh....this whole situation is making me feel sick

SLTJ's picture

Yes I get that but really as long as you do the right thing it doesn't matter what her motives are aslong as yours are good. Nobody every feels nice about themselves doing the wrong thing and i don't think you would feel too good leaving the wedding and your husband early. Being the bigger person always feels nicer! And id she does come wanting a house then he will know deep down whats shes been doing but he will also know you did the right thing and hopefully love you for it.

Freshstart's picture

Ok I understand that based on your experiences to date that she does probably just want some money for next thing. At the moment though, it appears to be a sign of acknowledgement and better than the normal nasty stuff that happens. We are all often put in this sort of dilemma. Personally, and we are all different, I would talk to DH and say that you want to do the right thing by him and acknowledge that being asked to be in the family photos appears to be a sign of respect. Ask what he wants. What is nice is you and your son will be by his side on an occasion that matters to him and that is always a good thing. There are a couple of times that I have let my frustration with the way I was treated bubble to the surface and impact on DH's enjoyment of a significant event with his daughter and I feel so bad about it now. not guilty just silly that I did not see the big picture and realise the impact on me was small in the bigger picture.

In the end of the day, there are only a few of these "events" that can be used and lets face it SDs will use them. Your DH will love you so much for being there for him. The key is communication that it is tough on you so he has your back.

clydella's picture

You have to do what is right for you, and if not being in the pictures is what is right for you, then so be it. But, I do agree with other posters above, you will look like the bad guy to your DH. For him it will be that SD tried to include you and make you feel a part of her special day and you snubbed her, you're the big bad evil SM. I would go along to get along on this one.

whatamess's picture

Recently, I refused an invitation to my SGrand's first bday because I knew she only invited me to make herself look like the bigger person. I have been excluded from everything involving this child for a solid year. It was a win/win for her: she gets credit for the invite and if I did show up, she gets to treat me like sh*t and keep sgkid away from me. I've played her game for a lot of years so yes, I do know her intentions. Too many times I gave her the benefit of the doubt and treated her like a normal person, thinking her invites and gestures were an attempt to reach out to me. They were not.

The key to what to do is history. Whatever she's done in the past, she'll do again. Also, it's important to talk with your DH so he's clear on why you're doing what you're doing if you decide to bow out. I was crystal clear with my DH why I wasn't attending the party. For me, it was an important step in disengaging.

sandye21's picture

If you don't want to take part in the pictures just say, "Sorry, I feel ill. Have to run."

jennaspace's picture

If you go I don't think you have to act phony. Consider focusing on the opportunity to get some professional photos with bs and DH.

Ditching the photos would probably be worse than not going altogether. Better not to go at all IMO.

Could be that sd is extending the olive branch because she is caught up in the euphoria of a new life.

Igiveupsotornupinside's picture

I wouldn't go. She had never let you form a relationship with her. She treats you like crap!

I can say that I wont be attending my SD's wedding that I disengaged from. She is due with a baby in January and I also wont be attending that. I am not going to her baby showers or anything. The only reason she would want me there is to get the gift. Both DH and I know that while we are not on speaking terms, about a week before her birthday rolls around or Christmas she will be contacting us trying to get us back in her life just so she can get the gift. we are not falling for that anymore. Because after the holidays she will snap on us again and its right back to where we spent the last 4 years. We are officially done.

Had Enough77's picture

So I made a decision....I've already said Im going and I'll do the stupid pictures. That way Im not giving her/her family etc any thing to come at me with. But ive also told DH to please respect my wishes and stop crap like this in the first place. I have told him in no uncertain terms that I'm done with his daughters and their drama and that until they grow up and treat me and him with respect I want nothing to do with them. After tomorrow's circus I am finished for good...now to figure out where to keep a flask full of booze on my person to get me through this thing!.....lol

Igiveupsotornupinside's picture

Oh I have been there where you just do it to get it over with and to save your own butt from the repercussions. Yes I would suggest a flask filled with anything that will make you tipsy and have some what of a fun time even if your giggly! Good luck and hope all goes well. Smile

Had Enough77's picture

well I went and it was so unbelieveably awkward! all of DH's ex's family and friends were there...daughters ignored me as per usual except for when she asked me if front of the wedding party if i would be a dear and pose for a picture.....ugh! we were placed at table 9 of 10 at the back of the room and DH's parents and sister were not pleased either, leaving us alone shortly after the meal! I wanted to go but apparently SD kept asking DH to stay. Finally we left and of course havent heard from her since. Good riddance I say Smile