You are here

Can't enjoy my own home

stepmom52's picture

I'm too irritated thinking about going home later to my grown a** SS whose been home all day (off work today). I think it's a crying shame that I'm sitting here trying to think of something to do after work other than go home. It's my home, why do I have to be the one to find somewhere else to be when my SS is the one in the way? It's even harder when I'm paying the majority of the bills but I come home and head straight for my bedroom because my DH and I live in a small 1 BR apartment. Before he moved in, my SS said we wouldn't know he was there and that he would hardly be home. Major lies. When he's not working, he's ALWAYS there. He claimed he would see his children more and he really doesn't. The move has done nothing to benefit us and everything to benefit him. Before coming up with the 23rd being his move out date, I had already lost patience. Now I just can't take it anymore and him gone. Today!!

stepmom52's picture

That's how I feel -- I need my own space and some quiet without him being in the way. I'm trying to not take out my frustration on my husband. I'm ready to scream.

Kes's picture

You are obviously a more tolerant person than me.  I would never have agreed to a step moving in if I lived in a 1 bedroom apartment, no matter for how short the duration.   I would have said to DH, you can give them money for a hotel, but they are NOT coming here! 

still learning's picture

I learned that lesson and got the t-shirt! I will happily shell out my own money for skid to stay in a hotel than ever have them move in again. 

***ETA, OP could you offer to pay for and put ss up in a hotel until his "move out" day?  11 days x $65 a night or whatever the going rate is in your area. That would be approx $700, divide by 2 since DH will pay half (if not all) so about $350 to retain your sanity while ss is "getting on his feet." That would be more than generous on you and DH's part. You could also use the excuse that apartment managment caught wind of the situation and ss needs to go.  

hereiam's picture

They already basically paid his living expenses for a month by letting him stay in their old place, that had a month left on the lease, the guy didn't save a dime. It's time for him to hit rock bottom, not keep getting a free ride.

still learning's picture

I totally agree! After being in a similar situation as OP and having "poor homeless" ss29 sleeping on my futon on and off for months I would gladly shell out some money to avoid that situation again.  Sanity is priceless.

didn'tsignupforapunk's picture

Why not just shell out an eviction notice and directions to a homeless shelter? Generous would be going and getting him some underwear, and  wrapping it up with a sticker labeled "big boy panties!!" on the package. 

stepmom52's picture

We moved in December to a new place and still had that month open at our old spot so originally he was living there until the lease ended January 3rd. I thought SS would use that as an opportunity to save money and look for a place but when it was time for him to go, he started begging his dad could he stay with us. Truth is, even if our place was bigger I wouldn't want him to stay. Hopefully it plays in our favor that he doesn't have a room and will leave next Saturday.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

SS needs to know that staying past next Saturday is NOT an option. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya, SS!

still learning's picture

I've been in a similar situation and feel you sister. It's ridiculous to feel unwelcome in your own home that you pay for.  When adult children move home they fall into the old role of parent/child dynamic. DH sounds like a disney daddee and ss is more than happy to take a break from adulting.  Hopefully he really does move out shortly but he sounds awfully comfortable.  

stepmom52's picture

He's definitely comfortable, something I've mentioned to my DH time and time again. SS just doesn't care that he's in our way, that we have no privacy and don't have to enjoyment of our living room right now. It takes everything in me to say nothing to him about it.

Rags's picture

You may want to try giving him resident times to be in your home until the deadline hits.  He leaves at 0700 and does not return until 1800.  He can go and do whatever he wants but he will not be in your home except to shower and sleep.   Turn off the cable and WiFi. During those times until he leaves.  Once  he walks out... turn it back on for your own enjoyment.

Also, he needs to immediately become your beck-and-call boy/Chore Bitch.  Post a list of chores each day.  Not trivial stuff. The not fun gotta get it done stuff.  If he gets his chore list done... he gets to stay another night. If he doesn't he is left on the front step in the AM and can't return untill you and DH return in the eveing. Then he as to get yesterday's and today's chores done or... he is out again.

This worked wonders in motivating my SS to launch after HS.  So much so that after a few months of beck and call boy status he enlisted in the USAF.

Physics guy's picture

Same situation here.  SS19 moved in in December and I set him up with his own space but he sits in the living room TV area with his phone and it is uncomfortable for me to cuddle or have private conversations with DW.  I'm just trying to deal with it until Jult 1 (Indepencdence day!)

TwoOfUs's picture

Yikes. 

This would be my nightmare situation and one that I worried about when skids started getting to the late teens...because DH seemed to have this fantasy that they would want to come live with us...or need to come live with us...after they turned 18. He brought it up with all skids (except YSD...he'd given up the dream by then).

Any time he brought it up I was completely noncommittal...but willing to die on that hill if it ever came close to being a reality. No. WAY. 

When YSD turned 18, he turned the basement room into additional office and studio space for himself (which he needed) rather than fixing it up as a suite "in case one of the kids ever needs a place ot live" as he's been thinking and dreaming about for years. Hallelujah!! I don't know what prompted him to let go of that idea, but I'm so glad he did. 

Of course, he can't push the darlings out completely...so he did get an air mattress "in case one of the kids ever needs to stay over." Now several friends have used it...my niece and nephews...my brother...but never skids. They always stay with BM even though DH always offers and we have way more space (BM lives in a 2-bedroom apartment...) 

Oh well. Baby steps...and I don't mind if skids stay over at all. Just if they live there and wouldn't leave...that would be an absolute nightmare.

stepmom52's picture

I've definitely learned -- no more adult children can stay with us, no matter the circumstances.

tog redux's picture

I'd personally let DH know that one of us is moving out, SS or me - which does he prefer?  He needs to know you are serious.  Living with a grown man sleeping on your living room floor in a 1B apartment is absolutely absurd and there is no reason for it.

ndc's picture

I certainly hope you have a plan for what will happen on the 23rd if the freeloader is still in your home.  I think you should discuss that plan with your husband well in advance of the 23rd so that he understands just how serious you are about it.

stepmom52's picture

Yes. I know my husband is tired of me talking about the situation and I'm more than tired of his son sleeping on our living room floor. 

fairyo's picture

Put some fish in his pillow, play classical music, and get flirty down and dirty with your husband.Your place is too comfy for him- I wrote a repsonse to your other post and feel for you,but you have learned from this.

Hope he's gone soon, and you never let him back in!

stepmom52's picture

Thanks. I told my husband I should walk around naked...it's what I normally did when he wasn't there. I can't be myself in my own place. When he showers, he stays in the bathroom close to an hour and we have to make sure to use the bathroom first. I shouldn't have to turn my life upside down to accommodate this moocher. Just pisses me off royally.

still learning's picture

Most apartment complexes have strict laws for how many nights guests can stay.  You can't just move someone in without putting them on the lease. I'd make an anonymous call to management from a blocked number and tip them off Wink They'll likely post a letter for him to vacate immediately.  

Too old for this's picture

when I had SKids living with us I would stand at the door, key in hand and not want to go in.  It is a horrible feeling.

you need to get him out. Just do it. If DH objects, tell him he can leave too.  He is way too selfish not to see this situation.

stepmom52's picture

It's just a shame when you don't want to go home especially when you're a home body. 

Momof3Plus's picture

I’m going through a really hard time with my 21SD. I hide in my room when I’m home and I know it’s affecting my own children (12, 10). I’m sorry you are dealing with this too. 

stepmom52's picture

I'm sorry for you too. I know the feeling of hiding in your room. That's what I do as soon as I get home from work. And it's even harder on the weekends if I don't go out anywhere. SS just sitting in the living room watching TV while I stay tucked away in my bedroom. And my DH has a problem with me having a problem with his son being there. I just want my space back. I want peace, something I had before his son moved in.

Nicole442's picture

Same here. My SS21 is at mine and DH's house more than he is at his place of residence. Sleeping on our couch and just mooching everthing we buy. DH refuses to tell him that he can't spend the night even though he does not live with us and has his own room where he lives. He still lays up in my house days at a time without leaving. I go straight to my bedroom when I get home and he is there. DH doesn't understand why it bothers me so much for SS to be there.

Rags's picture

Time to drop a bug in the land lord's ear and take the Skid's presence off of the table.

Sadge56's picture

One of my SS visits from another town without notice. Imagine my joy when I arrive home from work and he is reclining on the couch with food in one hand and teasing/razzing up the dog with the other. I feel like going back to work.

bertieb's picture

Oh my, I remember your pain! DH and SS didn't have a clue why it would bother me. I'd work all day, come home to SS in my living room watching ESPN after getting up about 3:00. I'd then be trying to figure out what to cook for the 3 of us for dinner, going back to the store or stopping on the way home, etc. SS had a depression issue and he quit meds and dropped out of college. It took almost 2 years of doing absolutely nothing before DH told him it was time to get a job or go back to school or something. He did and seems to be back on track even though he quit meds again. I hold my breath and pray he doesn't relapse and want to move back in because DH sees no reason it should bother me that much to have him there. It's hard to say anything as well since it's a mental issue, and what if he tried to harm himself?

I too would look for something to do before going home! And my day off if DH wasn't off was always awkward too and I didn't want to stay home and watch tv or work on something there if SS was hanging around. He never had anything to say to me either because he never did anything or kept up with current affairs or anything to chat about. ugh just so hard, sorry!!!!!

sandye21's picture

"it's a mental issue, and what if he tried to harm himself?"  You are being held hostage..  Obviously your SS is an adult.  If he is not responsible enough to take his meds maybe he should be sent to a facility where they will insure he does - and will be more equipped and fully available if he DOES choose to harm himself.

I was held hostage like this for years by an older adopted child.  It became her MO.  It started when she was 18.  She would become depressed, get on drugs threaten to commit suicide, 'get saved', go to rehab, decide to turn her life around for the good, live off of the people who helped her, then become depressed again when she could no longer live off them - and the scenario has repeated itself over and over again. She is now 51 years old.

Free yourself.  Stand firm and inform DH you will no longer take part in 'helping' Ss to get his act together.  Tell DH to give SS the gift of being responsible for himself or let DH take care of SS on his own.

Miss T's picture

I feel ya, sister. I endured an omni-present SS for an entire summer and then for an entire month of winter break. Couldn't find a summer job good enough for him and bio Mom lives in a boarding house with several other women, so we were stuck with him, 24/7, for a total of 5 months that year. I nearly lost my mind, and DH nearly lost his wife.

You have my absolute sympathy, and my absolute encouragement to get up on your hind legs and throw the bum (or bums if it comes to that) out.

Rags's picture

Minimizing the size of your home is one way to mitigate this problem.  Since you have already done that and you still have a Klingon of a SKid problem, start moving in large furniture that you pick up on the side of the road or buy from GoodWill for cheap.  Once you squeeze out the Klingon you can donate the big stuff back to GoodWill and take the write off.

Make your new furniture collection "hobby" have an end game in mind.  The end game being to purge the adult Skid from your home.

Good luck.