You are here

Can’t believe this one!

Flustered's picture

Last year in the spring before My DH died, We paid off my daughters house (which we hold the mortgage on ) and also the land that my SD had purchased. His theory was he did not want her SO on the deed for her land Since they don't intend to marry. I thought this was a brilliant idea. My BD is purchasing her house from us and with the excess money and car that my SD got out of my husband's estate - which I basically let her have rather than fight over it, my lawyer said I was totally within the law to deduct that from the money my BD Owed us for the house. This makes my BD able to pay off her house in five years.(  Basically I think it's kind of lucky my SD accidentally got a large investment her father had and wanted his car. I did not want the car)

OK so now it comes to Christmas time; I never remember all of the children, nieces and nephews, and great nieces and nephews  for birthdays. I wrote each one of them a card and told him anything we gave you before I am still giving you ($$) , However the entire amount will come at Christmas so don't expect it at your birthday and Easter as well. Everyone was happy with it except my SD. I checked with her to see that she got her mail  since she had not said anything in three weeks  and she said her SO is very happy with his present --but she does not want to cash hers Since it might invite an audit with all of the extra people Biden has hired for internal revenue. She said since we paid off her land, they will be looking at her. Paranoia? Yeah I think so because it's her land on her name and mortgage companies don't care  who pays off the deed/loan. Anyway that was over $15,000 so she's freaking out that she will get audited. Our CPA also said that it doesn't matter. I said just put the check in the bank after the first of the year. She said oh no the bank counts the date on the check. I said no add I also checked with my SIL who is an assistant bank manager and she said it is the date it is cashed. I told her I wanted the check back before I would write her a new one after the first of the year and she said its shredded. . Honestly? I can put a stop on that check and I will because this is absolutely insane. I will write - her a check after the first of the year what's the other what is stopped but has anybody else ever run into any insanity like this?

CajunMom's picture

Years ago, BM claimed she did not recieve her Child Support check. Both DH and I highly doubted that, considering the issues at the time. So, I called bank, did a "stop payment" on that one and sent the next one certified mail where she HAD to sign. With your crazy SD, definitely do the "stop payment." And I'd send the next check "certified" and tell her you will NOT write another. That certified will cover you giving her the money. 

StepHell is ridiculous. I'm sorry you are still dealing with this madness even after your DH's passing. I'll probably deal with this in my future, should DH pass before me. Ugh.

Rags's picture

She has several clients who filed for the COVID relief money for small businesses then threw the checks away because they wanted it to cover their taxes. 

The IRS does not give a shit whether or not you shredded the check or not. You were paid, you owe the taxes.

It can  be resolved, however, the COVID related tax backlog will result in idiots who do this crap waiting years for their money, in the mean time, penalties and insterest will accrue until that money is applied to paying taxes owed.

DW's clients think that their CPA can just call the IRS and take care of it.

smh

Nea

Nope, Even a brilliant CPA can't fix stupid.

CLove's picture

Yeah. Money and Stepland...always a big mixed bag of whatever.

I remember when BM Toxic Troll was moving (yet again) and asked Husband to write her a check for $1.200 to meet the income requirements of her new apartment complex. "I wont deposit it I promise" etc. Yeah, no.

justmakingthebest's picture

I think you have learned over and over again that no good deed goes unpunished by your SD. It is ok to disengage from her. Just don't continue this relationship. 

ESMOD's picture

you need to be mindful of the annual gift limits the IRS has.... in 2022 it is 16K per person... so depending on the value of other gifts.. it gets close for her doesn't it...your accountant should be aware of all of your gifts to her to ensure that no limits or consequences are going to come into play for you or her.. 

Crspyew's picture

Those "IRS people".....not hired yet.  She sound like a doozy.

Merry's picture

Absolutely stop payment on the check. Then deduct the fee for doing so from the check you write in the new year. Petty? Yes indeed.

Birchclimber's picture

I agree with the majority.  Definitely, stop payment on that cheque.  Don't re-write another one until she makes contact with you requesting it.  Then, send it off to her with a note. 

"Dear Skid, This is the last order of business that we have together.  I wish you a future of good health and happiness.  May you find joy with your friends and family.  I will now be turning my attention to mine.  All the Best, Flustered"  

Then, be done with this pile of trouble, once and for all.

Rags's picture

smh

Nea

The annual federal gift tax exclusion allows you to give away up to $16,000 each in 2022 to as many people as you wish without those gifts counting against your $12.06 million lifetime exemption. (After 2022, the $16,000 exclusion may be increased for inflation.)Dec 2, 2022

As for the Biden IRS agents... They were never hired. There is no budget for them and the incoming Republican majority congress will likely shit can it anyway.

Winterglow's picture

She shredded the cheque? How stupid does she think you are? So sad, too bad, you shredded the cheque? Looks like you threw away your inheritance, kiddo. Your problem, not mine. 

Flustered's picture

Stopped the check. When my next bank confirms it on my next statement? Then she gets her $$. ( no fees/ can't deduct/ that's not a bad idea)

**she didn't want it in 2022 as we had paid off her land/ lawyer said that counts to the $16k AND getting her fathers car does too. She's over the $16 k quite a bit.** my CPA said I just file money we gave her/ no taxes until after you give something like $1 million ( or probably more) and she will never see that. We didn't/ don't/ won't ever have that kind of cash.

Flustered's picture

Check was stopped. Bank aware of why. So she calls scream where is my present. Told her when I get around to it. Mailed it today / waited until I did monthly bulls. Told her she'd get it late now annually