You are here

Adult stepdaughter and her invading my home

salemcat2023's picture

Hello from the UK!

my husband and I only got married in April this year after 10 years together and we moved into a beautiful house in October last year. For context, I have a 14 year old daughter from my previous marriage. Husband has 21 year old son and 25 year old daughter. 
the week after we moved into our house, she asked him if she could move in "for a couple of months" when her work accommodation runs out. This would be in February. 
a couple of days later, she asked if she could move in much sooner, even though we were still living out of boxes. 
the issue I have with her moving in is that she is extremely prone to huge temper tantrums, creates huge dramas, has had issues with drugs in the past, is terrible with money, she lies, and can be very manipulative. She has no financial reason to need to live with us, she just desperately wants in on the set up. Husband always said he could never live with her again when she first left home - I'm wondering if he thinks I will be picking up the pieces when she erupts?

my 14 year old is very anxious about her - she hates shouting, bad feeling etc and doesn't want her getting her feet under the table.

at the moment she is being sickly sweet to everyone in an effort to secure her moving in. I'm terrified she will not leave. 
can anyone help me?

Winterglow's picture

In the words  of Nancy Reagan, "Just say no". Neither you nor your husband want her to move in, she has no financial reason to want to move in, so don't let her do it. What is her reasoning for moving in? She has plenty of time before her to secure another abode without being a burden on her father and you. You don't even have to give her a reason for your decision, just tell her that it's not possible. 

You need to have a long talk with your husband about this. Bring up all the subjects you mentioned here and let him know that you cannot live with the drama. You are right, if she moves in, no matter how much she promises otherwise, she will never move out.

This is your new home, a celebration of your relationship and you need time to settle in. The last thing you need is an interfering, freeloading harpy interfering with your new nest. 

No matter what she promises, stick to your guns. Present a united front with your husband and remember that you don't negotiated with terrorists.

Good luck.

salemcat2023's picture

Thanks so much everyone. Unfortunately he's already agreed to it. I wasn't really consulted about it 

Winterglow's picture

THen you use your veto and tell him that you do not agree. You are 50% of the ownership of your home and MUST be consulted on all decisions that affect your life.  He does not have the right to make unilateral decisions. Tell him that your marriage might not survive this kind of disrespect. You will probably look like the bad guy but there are worse things could happen... like her moving in.

caninelover's picture

I'd be p*ssed about him agreeing to it without consulting me.  My DH did this years ago when he told Bratty McBratFace (then 20) that she could live with us after college.  I lost my sh*t on him and he rescinded and now understands that is a joint decision if it ever happens and my current position is it will never happen.

Lillywy00's picture

Um what tf is his problem on agreeing to a major decision that affects you without consulting you. 

No ma'am him and his daughter would be sleeping on the couch in the basement.  

salemcat2023's picture

I'm planning on talking to him when the opportunity arises.

his son is home from university at the moment so it's difficult 

Winterglow's picture

The longer you put this off, the harder it will be. Why not suggest a nice meal out for just the two of you? That way, you get him on his own and you will both have to stay calm because you're in a public place.

Rags's picture

Delay and indecision are the cause of chaos.  Fire with a decision and adjust as necessary.

While doing nothing is always an option, doing nothing changes nothing.

Take care of you.

salemcat2023's picture

I might try that. It's literally all I can think about and how to stop it 

TheAccidentalSM's picture

Even if life is feeling hectic, this is important so make time for the conversation.  You may not want the confrontation but remember that the confrontation and fall out will be way worse if you have to get your DH to make her move out after she has landed in your home.  It might even lead to the end of your marriage.

So bite the bullet and have the conversation.

If you need help with a script, ask here and some of the more eloquent people will offer suggestions.

Edit - keep checking in later in the day as most of the posters are from the USA and will be active in the evening UK time.

Winterglow's picture

I'd suggest you take notes before you go so you can state your case clearly and not forget anything you want to say.

reedle2021's picture

I agree with the other posters:  NO.  If she moves in, your life will be hell and you can bet that she won't leave.  I would discuss this with your husband as soon as possible before she gets her way.  And I read one of your posts that your husband already agreed to it?  NO again.  I would tell him that you aren't comfortable with her moving in at all and also that he needs to consult you about decisions that directly affect you and your family.  I think you should advise your husband that he is to tell his adult daughter that things have changed and she can't move in.  OMG, I'm so worried for you. 

You have to be firm and be strong.  Her presence in your home will likely ruin your marriage.

Please keep us posted!

salemcat2023's picture

Of course. I'm at work at the moment, I'm going to have to approach it very carefully as he will likely react very badly 

It jumps out to me that you are worried that he's going to react badly to you mentioning this.  He didn't have a moments worry about dropping this bombshell on you.  Don't be worried about his reaction, he should be bl00dy worried about your feelings on this one.

Winterglow's picture

I very much agree with this. I think it's time you got spitting MAD, don't you? He thought nothing about inflicting a toxic drama queen upon you without so much as a "by your leave" and you're worrying about upsetting him?  Go ahead, I say, upset him. Let him feel the pain. Assert your rights to your home.

Lifer33's picture

Work accommodation running out?

If she has no plans then you probably won't get Rid of her. If it's a limited timescale to save for a deposit then maybe. I'd demand to know her exact plan to relaunch. 25 is far too old to be freeloading , just my opinion 

ESMOD's picture

You need to discuss this as a married couple with joint interest in the home.

He agreed without consulting you.. and you have legitimate questions and concerns.

You, your minor child and he do not need drama and conflict.. which has been a big problem with her before... and there does not seem to be any concrete PLAN.

Her work accomodations run out.. what is her plan next for a job and finding her place to live?

Does she have a job.. just not means to secure housing yet?  Maybe the answer is for daddy to either LOAN... or GIFT her funds so that she can live in her own place.

Because once she is in the home.. it will be difficult to enforce boundaries on an an adult.. difficult to collect rents.. difficult to make her leave.. and all of those conflicts will damage her relationship with him and the others in the home.. 

Maybe the better option is for him to help her get into a place of her own.. pay deposits.. and even minorly subsidize rent for a few months so that she can make it work?  I would rather my DH pay his kids a little vs having adults moving back home "permanently".

Stepdrama2020's picture

Sometimes you have to get uncomfortable to feel comfortable. The uncomfortable is the conversation with your not so great DH. 

He needs a reminder that any decisions regarding issues that affect you, or him, have to be discussed BEFORE a decsision is made.

If SD moves in you will be constantly set up to fail. You will become the scapegoat. Daddio is rescuing his precious SD even though he said he could never live with her again.

Ask him whats changed that you can now live with her >

Ask him do you not consider your number one priority , YOU, in this decsision.

Ask him if this is how he wants this marriage to go.? Him making inilateral decisions and you are supposed to be ok?

Im afraid your DH pulled a fast one on you. Probably so much more behind the scenes. This is not the making of a good marriage.

Address this now before you begin living a complete nightmare. Besided this toxic SD will be a bad role model for your DD.

Blessings

notarelative's picture

...her work accommodations run out...

My question would be why are they running out. Is she losing her job? 

The fact that she asked months before, indicates she's not looking for another place. Moving in with Dad and you is her plan and I doubt she plans to look elsewhere. 

You need to have this conversation now. It can't wait as February is fast approaching. 

salemcat2023's picture

She left a relationship and had nowhere to go - she works in the local hospital, as I do, and they gave her emergency accommodation for six months 

ESMOD's picture

So she has had 6 months to find a new place to live and hasn't?  and your DH knew that and didn't encourage her to be looking.. just "take the handout" for max months.. vs looking and moving into new place asap?

Survivingstephell's picture

Where's her mother?  Newlyweds don't need a temperamental twenty something blowing up their home life.  This is the first test of many you two have to figure out as a couple.  Him handling it on his own is a big no no.   This is a bigger problem if this is the way he expects you to just roll with it.  

Kloewent's picture

WHAT!! Your job gives people subsidized housing for 6 months?? That is incredible. I can just imagine how helpful it would be for someone trying to leave a bad relationship. Obviously not in the USA! I can't imagine an employer doing that unless you moved for the job and it was part of your benefit package. That is really amazing!

Merry's picture

Absolutely do NOT worry about whether your DH is upset when you assert your opinion about his daughter moving in. What, is he a king and you are house staff? No, you both live there and should be equal partners. He does NOT get unilaterial decision making on something that affects you. I'd make sure he KNOWS exactly how upset you are that he did not talk with you about it.

Look, it's hard to maintain boundaries when adult kids DON'T live with you. My SD had all sorts of opinions about how we should set up our marital home, and she lives 1000 miles away. DH was much more interested in her opinions than mine. ("No, Dad, you should paint the bathroom blue." After we'd spent time picking out the exact shade of green that we liked. And DH was ready to jump to please SD. Took him a while to learn who his wife was, and wasnt.) I'd have lost  my mind, and likely my marriage, had SD been actually living with us. 

Harry's picture

Without talking about it to you. You can't start a relationship this way when he has all the power.  Just tell him you were never asked about it.  You will not live with a 25 yo SD. The two adult women just cannot live in the same house.  And you are the wife, it's your house. You get to live in it.  Now, if he wants to move into an apartment with SD that in him, 

and the divorce papers will be in the mail.   You must make a stand. Or all is going to be lost, you'll become third on the food chain. Oh Nice Place to be 

shamds's picture

Anything that will adversely affect your household setup, the finances, your provacy and harmony etc, you must always be consulted on first.

i'd be very firm and direct and not sugarcoat things with your husband, he is disrespecting you immensely and not treating you as his wife and equity life partner. 

adult sd is gonna freeload indefinitely, she is not respectful or harmonious to live with, you helped with purchasing this home and your husband is going off making executive decisions to move in his adult daughter because she wants to freeload off you guys.

she has work accommodations provided for her so there is no reason why she doesn't and shouldn't have money saved up.

anytime my husband made executive decisions regarding our home or my time/privacy etc, i did not tolerate it. I told him off very firmly that he is not treating me as his wife but like one of his staff at work and I won't stand for this behaviour.

they will play the victim but stand your ground. He must fear you more than his daughter. If he plays victim, tell him you are moving in your cousin from interstate and made an executive decision to do so. She will be staying indefinitely rent free/grocery free just like his daughter. See what happens then.

justmakingthebest's picture

There are a lot of comments and I didn't read them all but I just wanted to suggest that you have her sign a lease and make her pay rent. 

You can take the rent and put it in a savings account for her to have when she moves out if you want (That's what we are doing with my SS22 who is special needs), or you can use it for household needs. Up to you, but keeping her accountable by paying rent will help her want to move out. The lease will also have terms about her leaving a certain date, stipulations about having guests over, quiet hours, etc. Take the emotion out of it and treat her like a Tennant. 

SteppedOut's picture

I agree with making her pay rent, but thats about it.

She works in a hospital, I assume making an ok wage. ADDITIONALLY, she got housing for 6months from the hospital. She is a grown ass person that should have saved. 

IDK, rent withstanding, I wouldn't let her move in.

Kes's picture

There are a few of us here from the UK.  I haven't read all the replies, but I'm sure others have said that it's not acceptable that your DH agreed to his 25 yr old daughter moving in, without consulting you.   You need to have a further conversation with him and let him know you are not willing for this to happen.  I have said no to my SD27 moving in with us, a number of times over the years.  She is a total drama queen and I can't stand her. 

PetSpoiler's picture

You're worried about upsetting him but he sure didn't seem worried about upsetting you, telling his adult drama queen daughter she could move in without talking to you about it.  

Dogmom1321's picture

Over my dead body would I let SD12 move back in when she is 25. Our marriage wouldn't be able to handle the strain SD causes. If DH doesn't budge, I would stop paying IMMEDIATELY for anything with the house, stop unpacking boxes, and move elsewhere. 

Remind him when you bought the house together that is was for the TWO of you. You didn't agree to move in with SD25. 

CajunMom's picture

And since your DH said yes without consulting you, he'd be calling his daughter to say he changed his mind and would prefer her live else where since she's an adult. Add in, I want to get established in our new home with MY wife.

If he won't budge and she still comes, she gets her MOVE OUT date upon arrival.

These damn men we live with. SMH

Winterglow's picture

We all know that once she has a foot in the door that she won't leave... even with a leaving date,also any chance of her paying rent is nil. Therefore, meet her at the door when she arrives and tell her that her father was wrong, she can't stay with you. Dammit, she has no right to invade your home without your consent.

CajunMom's picture

She may NEVER leave. This would be a hill to die on for me. She would NOT be allowed to move into our home. She's a grown up, has had 6 months to prepare for this and if she hasn't, then she needs to use these last few weeks to GET prepared. 

SteppedOut's picture

This is 100% what I think.

This would be my hill for sure.

Elea's picture

I had this conversation just this week. DH said, "SD23 may want to move in with us for 6 months." On the advice of older and wiser step talkers, I responded, "If the last week is any indication, I don't think our marriage will last if SD23 moves in for 6 months." To which he replied with a laugh, "Has it really been that bad." Me: "uh, yes" (He literally asked me to pray for him the day before when he went out with the 2 of them.) 

If it comes up again I will also say it is too much too soon. We have a burgeoning positive relationship where SD's claim to be "trying" to deal with me, if we all move in together before we have a better bond it will be a recipe for disaster.

Meanwhile, read my blogs from the past month. I am currently putting up with a sulky, drama queen in my house until mid-month. She seems to be doing better as far as not being blatantly rude but she still keeps making assumptions and power plays for how we do things in our household. 

shamds's picture

There is only 1 queen of the household and too many men don't make this clear to their daughters.

it took mine 1.5 yrs to finally tell his daughter off that she will always be his daughter but she never gets to answer me back and make executive decisions regarding the parenting of our  kids, that is solely my role as the stay at home housewife and resident expert on all things house and our kids related and hubby made it clear 100% he would always stand by my views and decisions regarding our kids.

oh princess miniwife sulked for months and this happened 5 months after she sob cried to hubby on the phone and guilted him for marrying and having kids with me.

where is she now?? Ignoring hubby

reedle2021's picture

Per Winterglow, "We all know that once she has a foot in the door that she won't leave... even with a leaving date,also any chance of her paying rent is nil."

Spot on!  I agree 100% with Winterglow.  I think this will mostly likely be the case.  Plus, even if she does actually pay rent, it puts her in a power position in your home ("I can do what I want!  I pay rent here!").  I would not allow her to move in.  Period.  I wouldn't care if she ended up living under a bridge - maybe if that happened she would learn something?

CajunMom's picture

In fact, we had DHs oldest son who thought he'd live with us. Nope. His last homeless episode was at at YMCA in a big city. That might be an option for this SD. Hell, he got free rent, food and they even gave him health coverage! As I said in my other comment to Winterglow...this would be my hill to die on. I'm the queen of my home....no divas allowed. LOL

I realize you are in the UK...are there agencies like the YMCA there? Shelters for the homeless?

BobbyDazzler's picture

Very wrong of him to agree to her moving in without having a thorough discussion with you about it.  It's MUCH easier to tell her 'no' than to get her the heck out once she's plopped her butt and belongings in your home. I'd want to know why my DH said 'yes' (1) without my say so and (2) when he said he could never live with her again.  IF she does, in fact, weasle her way in, you're going to have to set up rules and boundaries with the CLEAR understanding that if she can't abide by YOUR rules, she's out.  Hubby will have to be accepting of that as well.  Good luck!

CLove's picture

Called a few weeks before Christmas, on MY phone, demanding to talk to her father. Shes a total Narcissist who lies, steals, is mean and rude and loves rolling around in her own filth.

After all her nasty texting me over the years and recently as a few months ago - I asked her point blank "ok, so youve said how much you hate me yet you want to live with me, exactly how would that work?"

She really had no answer and insisted that it was her fathers house (We bought it together after he had been renting it for many years) and that since she had lived there a while and had grown up there she had some sort of claim on it.

Nope. AFter she hung up, her father also told her nope.

Well these SDs will go barnacle on you and be impossible to get rid of once all comfy cozy. 

Absolutely do not beat around any bushes. Get straight to it and do not falter.

CLove's picture

Add that the fact that she barely acknowledges her father unless she is desperately in need of something, like a ride or money. He constantly invited her to dinner and lunches for birthdays and fathers day etc. And shes always too busy with other people.

Not that I care thats just an added layer.

shamds's picture

Was o/seas with our 2 kids studying uni and hubby desperately missed us as he was working in his country, he thought about visiting his dad in another state and bringing his daughters along for that long weekend. Eldest sd agreed (she was 22.5 at the time and younger sd almost 14), she cancels last minute, like 2-3 days before that weekend by messaging her brother who tells hubby that yhe stepdad banned her from going with her dad to see grandfather. 

my husband was so upset and angry and said had he known a month prior when he proposed this trip, he would have booked a trip to see us instead as ticket prices would still be reasonable, instead day before flight its limited seats and business class type airfares.

after that, hubby started prioritising holidays and trips with us and pre booked them a year in advance. Sd's couldn't demand trips or outings during these times and they certainly weren't flying to my country on daddys freebie generosity as they aren't reliable or respectful 

plus hubby can't sell a story that they wann spend time with us when late august 2018 eldest sd called daddy guilting him for marrying and having 2 kids with me yet cheating hoe scumbag bio mum, totally excused from having affairs, marrying affair hubby in secret days after divorce was finalised. Its absolute bs.

Your sd clearly showed she thought daddy can dictate what you do like a dictatorship and believing she had automatic rights and claims to live in your marital home with no need to require your permission as a joint homeowner is bonkers and definitely signs of a petty dysfunctional sd who believes she's an aloha female.

my husband had to lay it clear in early 2020 to eldest sd that she was not someone of authority in our household and regarding our kids because hubby didn't see how they were behaving initially in an aloha female type status till i gave the examples. He sulked of course but realised this couldn't happen anymore.

its bonkers for someone with no life experiences, too incompetent to succeed at a job interview and needs daddy to pull strings to think she has authority to dictate what my husband does and how we parent our kids.

i still remember our 2nd or 3rd outing was a trip to nearby state that my husband's nephew was getting engaged, i go to toilet and come out and sd's had stripped my daughter to put on some over the top princess dress they bought. They believed after 2-3 trips where we'd barely spent several hours doing anything meaningful yet alone barely a conversation, that they had authority to undress my kid. I made it clear to hubby that he better sort this out now. It took him 1.5 yrs to finally tell off eldest sd. She still doesn't believe she is at fault. Blames everyone for the lack of relationship she has with daddy.  Its my and our then 2 toddlers fault why she has no relationship.

just maybe, daddy doesn't like you as much as he loves me and our 2 kids because our love and relationship is genuine and not transactional based on money

CLove's picture

Some of your first posts included the facts that the sds were giving your kiddo food that would make them sick too. And argued with you about it.

SD23 Feral Forger - shes definitely got some nuts loose in there, but she supposedly has TWO jobs (haha) and still no license. She ubers everywhere. Now shes someone elses problem (for now) and she is blocked on my phone as well as social media. She texted me after "the phone call" telling me to stay out of her life and no one likes me anyway. She did it in such a chickenchit way too - sent via instagram then unsent it so I could see it as a popup but have no proof to show anyone.

Totally bonkers Biggrin

shamds's picture

He shook his head. 

believe me my husband at times has the whole guilty disney daddy syndrome but acknowledges his 3 kids with exwife are effed up in many ways because their mum is batshit crazy and as a sole income earner, he admittedly wasn't as involved with kids because of work hours and him being on call 24/7.

but even he can't comprehend how your husband can stupidly as newlyweds find it totally ok to make an executive decision to move his adult leech of a daughter into your marital home that you jointly bought?

men are very sexual beings, sex is a powerful motivator. Make it known to your husband if he thinks there will be any intimacy and access to sex with you after what he did, he is sorely mistaken.

i don't condone manipulative tactics but sometimes you need to make hubby fear upsetting you more than his own daughter.

i thank god i am muslim because part of our religion states very clearly a husband must provide separate accommodation for him and his wife away from inlaws and kidults etc.

it means if you have feral inlaws, feral kids, he cannot force you to live together and this is something you can divorce over if home life is abusive. 

in my case, when i met hubby, ss was 15 and 17.5 when we married, 18.5 when our daughter was born and almost 21 when our son was born. He was at uni when our kids were born and hubby had sole custody of him during divorce as exwife disowned him.

we had issues with his disrespect/shunning etc and it made homelife so toxic that at the 3.5 yr mark I seriously brought up divorce. That was the time hubby realised how bad things were and the pathetic excuses he had given to excuse ss behaviour were absolutely ridiculous and he started making big improvements 

it took another maybe 1.5 yrs before he told ss that he needed to understand i have never wanted to be rid of him. All i ever wanted was a harmonious inclusive environment in our home, that he is the brother (half brother) of our 2 kids and what he has done and how he has behaved has alienated us and he needs to realise going forward that hubby intends to spend time with us and ss is on his own because no one wants to be around his behaviour and how he makes you feel so unwelcome.

hubby also told him that he barely has a relationship with his own sisters who are under control of their crazy mum that disowned him. So this behaviour is for what? His sisters aren't gonna spend time with him during holidays and neither will his mum.

he started opening his eyes.

in your case, adult sd has never lived with you since ages ago when she was so toxic, disrespectful and made home environment no longer harmonious and had to leave. Actions speak louder than words. She only attempted to change when she made it clear she wanted to freeload off you.

she hasn't proven herself long enough and end of the day, she's had 6 months to plan for other options and finding an apartment/unit etc. instead she did nothing but expected you all to bail her out.

I'd understand if she were fleeing an abusive boyfriend/partner or spouse, house burned down or say her tenancy ended and there was a massive rental housing crisis and housing unaffordability and this was short term and she was respectful, contributed to household expenses and chores but you snd i know that isn't the case. Your husband isn't gonna follow through on the above and it still doesn't change the fact how she has treated you all.

everytime my husband goes back to the "blank slate bs" i remind him how many blank slates do we need to succumb to, to realise nothing is changing or has changed and i have every right to no longer consider wanting any relationship anymore. 

a successful marriage is based on trust and respect. Your husband has already blown through both and not honoured his basic marriage vows

there is the steve harvey show on youtube about blended families and the dynamics. There was an episode where he said, him and his wife's kids who were all from prior marriages became their kids upon their marriage. They all went to college and steve prepaid 6 months worth of rent for every kid and told them to figure it out.

in those 6 months they had to figure out a job and savings to build up so they could renew the lease or move somewhere else. Every single kid has a college degree and financially independent. Not one of them is living at home playing a poor pity me help me out party.

try look for that episode

BobbyDazzler's picture

You think it's a good idea to threaten withholding sex?  That sounds like it will only compound the problem.

Winterglow's picture

Are you sure you're on the right thread? I can't see where she gave that ultimatum (could be my mistake) and it looks more like she's the one who feels cornered.

BobbyDazzler's picture

And corrected it. Thsnk you. I still think withholding sex is a ridiculous solution and will only compound the current issues.

shamds's picture

In the relationship. Op husband whom tshe recently married has made an executive decision to move in a disrespectful kidult of his into their now marital home without op consultation. That in itself kills intimacy in a relationship and the lack of trust op has in her husband to not have her back. 

or is your suggestion that she spread her legs open just because she's his wife when he's upset her, disrespected and insulted her??

if op husband feels cornered, its of his own doing. He could have easily avoided this situation by stating to his daughter that he needs to have a discussion with his wife because sd has been very disrespectful and rude to her in the past and as an adult she needs to learn to stand on her own 2 feet. Not meddle in daddys new marriage and newlywed life.

op stating to her husband that what he has done and how he has treated her so soon after they married has killed any intimacy feelings she has for him sends a strong marriage. Its being honest.

when i had miniwife sd's causing many issues in our marriage over 4 yrs ago, i told my husband that his allowing of this treatment, behaviour, not consulting me regarding things involving my time and personal space and his encouragement and condoning of sd's behaviour towards me by staying silent and making pathetic excuses killed any intimacy i had for him. I certainly wasn't gonna have sex because i'm his wife. 

he's upset and disrespected me, if any man or woman thinks that she should just spread her legs and have sex, she's having it out of duty and not genuine love and affection, thats being shallow hun.

BobbyDazzler's picture

Graphic much? Withholding sex is not the answer. That may naturally occur if she feels disrespected by him but to use that as a strategy is not a good idea....hun.

shamds's picture

His adult child into the marital home his wife co-owns is not disrespectful and wouldn't kill any of the intimacy/sexual intimacy in their marriage right now?

thats my point right now, i have made it clear to my husband that him making executive decisions regarding my time, my privacy etc and forcing me to be in close proximity to toxic skids where they continually disrespect me and invade my personal space/boundaries and privacy kills any sexual intimacy

op husbands very actions automatically kill intimacy and op shouldn't be obligated to continue any sexual intimacy until he rectifies current situation. This isn't manipulation but consequences of his very actions 

CLove's picture

Pins and needles here! Ive been in your position of SD23 Feral Forger asking to move in around 3 times now.

shamds's picture

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RfBAvmVtDTA

its at the 2min plus mark but the whole video is hilarious. 

also love this clip too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AHt4d1_rdfs

it addresses skids thinking they have some sort of veto power and influence on what goes on in your lives despite having no qualifications and experience

and this one addressing back and fortg conversations & reasoning with kids (just say no because you pay for the bills and owe no explanation beyond no & coz i said so)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CkZXh6W0n00

MissTexas's picture

relationship, but perhaps it is only new to YOU.

He is clearly accustomed to making executive decisions without consulting anyone or considering anyone else's feelings. That's my take away from this scenario.

I don't know if you lived together prior to buying your home a few months ago, maybe you mentioned that and I missed it.

Make no mistake, he is obviously used to being in control and making decisions without needing your approval. He is showing you exactly where you rank on the relationship totem pole.

You must take back your spousal power by letting him know this is a HARD HELL NO. She's well beyond childhood, and fully able to sustain herself with her own income and housing. I presume she has no children, no other financial responsibilities, and even if SHE DOES, NONE OF IT IS YOUR PROBLEM or RESPONSIBILITY.

I guarantee if you allow this, your marriage will be in rapid decline, and you will NEVER FEEL THE SAME WAY AS YOU ONCE DID ABOUT THIS MAN. He's killing your love, and this is only the beginning...

Please, let him know if he decides/chooses to go forward with this lifestyle change, you will, unfortunately need to sell the home and he and his daughter can buy you out, as this is not acceptable.

Marianne's picture

I feel for you--really I do. DH already blew it by telling her she could mo

ve in. If she does, it will not go well for anyone. I worry about the influence she could have on your daughter. If there is any way to prevent Sd from moving in with you, try. I've been in your shoes and it made life so hard and miserable. We ended up NC with SD aftr so much misery and drama. SD does not sound like a good character and DH sounds helpless--wrong too for doing this without your input. I wish you the best with it.

Ohsoconfused's picture

Just this morning I had the same struggle with DH (on a smaller scale, but still involving entitled problem adult stepson.)

These DH's whose kids walk on air need to be nipped in the bud.  It's a hill to die on, especially if the little princess will be in a position to change the dynamics of your household.  I'd be livid too if he just unilaterally said she could move in!  That's bordering on moronic selfishness, especially if you own half the house.

We have just built a 50/50 brand new house, and DH announced as we were getting up this morning that SS35, who owns his own house, was coming over to wash his grotty old works van on our newly bricked, expensive driveway!  We do have a gravel portion of the drive, but apparently the hose doesnt reach that far, so he will be 'forced' to do the cleaning on the bricks.  I told him it is absolutely wrong to start into this, with him using tap water (very expensive here) which I pay for, and staining my £18,000 driveway with his grease.  We built this place as an investment, not a works yard for his son.  He's already been using half our shed to store his electrician's gear because his goofy girlfriend doesnt want it all stored at their house!  

I shamed DH as a pushover and he's upstairs licking his wounds.  These guys all need to realise that when they enter into a new partnership, the spouse needs to be considered before the adult skids, or the marriage wont be smooth.

Winterglow's picture

Tell him to think of the planet too. His son can take his vehicle to a car wash because they recycle their water. OK, so it will cost him but so what? It's his van therefore his responsibility. Time to give his son an ultimatum with a date for the removal of his gear from your shed or you'll throw it all out. Let him find another solution. This is your lovely new home, not a storage and utility unit for your stepson.

salemcat2023's picture

Just to update you all, it's very quiet here - she's still being sickly sweet but keeping her distance for some reason. My plan is to make it really difficult for her to be here - no men, I'll insist she keeps the room clean and tidy, she'll do all her own laundry, and charge her more rent than she's paying at her hospital accommodation. I would welcome any more tactics please!

Winterglow's picture

Cut off the wifi at 9 am, make her buy her own groceries, no cooking for her, be sure to hoover before going to work (you know, nice and early ...).

Not only no men but no guests ... This isn't an uncommon rule in boarding houses. 

shamds's picture

There is no hubby letting it go. She does her laundry herself, there is no dump it in washing machine or dump dirty dishes in sink. When i was dealing with this crap from ss when he was 17.5 till about 22, everytime he dumped rubbish on floor and turned a blind eye to his dirty dishes dumped in sink or his trash dumped on floor of trashcan, hubby would get a picture of said issue whilst he was at work with caption "deal with this now please"

within mins of getting that message hubby had messaged his son to clean his shit immediately. Key thing was my hubby followed through. He didn't trust if ss messaged to say he did it, hubby would message me for confirmation.

sad thing is hubby doesn't trust his own kids from exwife because they have her defective genes, her narcissism and dysfunction to varying degrees

Marianne's picture

Since DH told her she could move in, you are absolutely the person to set out the house rules. I approve of how you are defining adult SD's living arrangement while in your house. I hope for your sake that she doesn't move in. She sounds like a manipulator who would make your life miserable. Look what she's already accomplished. Awful for her to get DH alone and work on him like that.

CLove's picture

So - she did in fact move in already? You did not rain holy heck on husband?

Well then she can be your chore b!tch too. Not only does she get to clean up after herself, but also help around the house.

Cover1W's picture

Get all this signed in a rental lease agreement! You can find templates online. Essential to make this official.

Lillywy00's picture

If she likes it cold then keep them temperature hot. 

Don't keep any food in the fridge you purchased that she can eat (she buys and cooks her own meals) 

No guests. 

Turn her into the "free" live in nanny, maid, etc. and take off a bit of the 'rent'

etc

Merry's picture

She already moved in? That was fast. Is there a move-out date? If not, that is first priority. And make it clear to DH that if she isn't out by the agreed-upon date that you will be. 

shamds's picture

Op is just throwing an idea out there that if all else fails on her addressing this disrespect with hubby and sd moves in, that she wants to make their home so unliveable with rules and chores that she will refuse to move in or move out real quick.

my only concern with this scenario is based on how op husband has behaved, unless he firmly puts his foot down on said rules/chores etc and follows through with instant repercussions repeatedly, its not gonna succeed and sd will be in a somewhat alpha female competition with op because she has already gone behind stepmums back to get permission to move in completely shunning stepmum/co-owner out of the equation. That in itself is already a bad precedent. Sd and op husband don't see her as someone with authority in her jointly owned home, op husband has already stated and encouraged that stance to sd and op by his actions. 
he hasn't even had a sit down with his daughter still to address any of the above issues, he's just doing the typical "hope it blows over & newlywed wife will just cave in out of love for him." 

not addressing things directly, straight to the point, is just kicking the can down the road, which leads to more issues. I bit the bullet over 4.5 yrs ago and said enough, made hubby accountable for this mess and to address this if he wanted to remain married. Its made our marriage and relationship stronger and hubby sees what kind of relationship he has with our kids vs his kids from exwife. I wasn't gonna remain in a toxic and abusive marriage/home

Rags's picture

Or they both are until he figures out how to keep her from invading the marital home.

Nea

The impact this supposed adult SD has on your 14yo cannot be tolerted or allowed to continue.

IMHO of course.

salemcat2023's picture

Hi everyone 

just wanted to thank you all again for your input.

my plan is to talk to my husband tonight about the situation. I can't see any way at all that I'm going to stop her moving in. 
what I will do is lay out all my concerns, emphasise how worried my 14 year old daughter is, and how I fear for the state of our marriage. Any advice on how to go forward with this would be much appreciated 

Winterglow's picture

I'd lead in with "Look Hon, we both know that this 'only for a few months' story is crap. She had 6 whole months of emergency accommodation to look for a solution and did nothing about it. She clearly only wanted to move in with us for a free ride. Well, I do not want a freeloading adult in my nice new home. There can only be one queen per castle and that queen is me. Now it's up to you to tell her she can't move in and that you shouldn't have made that unilateral decision. You completely disregarded and disrespected me and I am not having that. Deal with it."

Have a list of all the possible "yes, buts" that he can respond with and have an answer to them all. My favourite would be to simply answer with "I am not having another woman in my home." Keep it simple because simple is easier to understand. Don't allow yourself to be dragged into an argument.

Winterglow's picture

Good luck!

Yes 3

CLove's picture

Seeing as how in your location its already tonight - please let us West Coast US people know how it went!

Im sure that there was some defenisiveness, but Im also sure that if you stand strong, it will go better for you in the future.

Do not allow her to move in. No matter what boundaries you hold, your husband and SD will run right over them.

Merry's picture

I'd really focus on the fact that he made this major decision without consulting you. HE NEEDS TO FIX IT. Lordy, she's had six months to figure out housing and hasn't, so what motivation does she have to do so now? Even if he has to help with apartment deposit and some rent for a short time (defined, finite) that's better than having her live with you. Goodness, you're newlyweds and should be able to enjoy that!

Do NOT let him turn this into "you just don't like my daughter." That's got nothing to do with it -- he totally disregarded you and THAT is the primary issue. 

Cover1W's picture

Respond...While she may not be my favorite person, it's your job as her father to teach and guide her how to be a happy and independent person. And that requires expectations and boundaries. Because I also want to see her happy and independent, and value that for us and my daughter, there must be rules for living here and a time limitation. We can help her meet those goals and transition out of this house with kindness and firmness at the same time. And here's what we should lay out ....(have a draft of a lease agreement ready to go. You must be prepared!)

Cover1W's picture

I have a version of this I say to DH when he thinks I'm being too hard on (either one) them.  It's the teen version about growing up and being independent and happy well-adjusted adults.

It's not ever worked out in my favor though (disclaimer) but he cannot argue back at me since it's actually correct and comes from a place of positivity. And he can't say I never "tried".

tfsimmons's picture

Kiss your relationship good bye but see your lawyer first... You knew better but did it anyway??  Been there done that - You still deserve the Front Seat in your Life!!  Put him in the rear view and don't look back... Live and Learn...  Thinking of your best interests and protect yourself, Sister!

OnlyHuman's picture

My 25 yr old stepdaughter called me last week (something she NEVER does!) to say she wanted to end her 2 yr marriage.  I had a knee-jerk reaction, wanted to "save" her and offered her to move back in with us.

It didn't seem she was going to do it, until a few days later, when she became very pushy wanting to make it happen right away!  That sent me into a tailspin. 

My mother lives with  my husband and I.  She has end stage dementia and my life has been very stressful for the last 3 years, and will continue to be stressful for quite a while.  There is NO WAY I can take on SD with all of her ongoing trauma and drama that she brings with her, and often creates.  

I announced same to my husband, that I am not inconsequential and while I take ownership for the offer of living with us BEFORE considering all of the many ramifications, I simply cannot and will not place more stress on myself.  

We're planning on talking with her tomorrow and explaining, "No can do".  That's the bottom line!

I hope you can take a stand and that your husband will honor your wishes.  

Best to you!

Birchclimber's picture

I've read through a lot of the responses. Here's one thing that bothers me. He agreed to let her move in. Now, when he goes back and tells her that she can't move in, guess who is going to be blamed? 

It's the classic "Stepmother as Scapegoat" scenario. Disney Dad gives his princess what she wants. Stepmother assess the situation and rightfully points out that DH can't make these types of decisions with out discussing it with her first. The two of them discuss it and hopefully DH will side with his dear wife.  

Now DH goes back to his DD and tells her that he and his new DW have had a discussion about it and that the two of you don't feel it's a good idea to have her move in. Dear Daughter's takeaway is that the Stepmother has influenced her father and now SD has a new label for Stepmother. The Evil Stepmother who is trying to put a wedge between Dear Daddy and Princess. This is exactly how these men operate. 

DH no doubt, did not want his DD to move in with the two of you, but he said yes anyway. I'm guessing that in the back of his mind, he knew that there would be resistance from his new wife, but he figured (subconsciously) that once she got involved, the situation could easily sort itself out without him being the one to be the "bad guy".

Tread carefully here. I believe that you've just been set up...

Marianne's picture

That's what it is--even if it is done subconsciously. My DH failed me for 15 years with this type of "set up." These manipulative ASD's know that they are forcing a choice. DH would just tell me how helpless he felt over the years, but he never really stood up to her. In our case, when he did, it was the end of their relationship. Looking back, it might have worked out better if DH had showed some spine with his DD after she finished the five-year silent treatment and started to visit us infrequently with just the worst attitude and brat behavior.

CLove's picture

Husband does this ALL THE TIME!

With BFF who likes to hang out for 3-5 hours at a time. He will use me as his "excuse" when he doesnt want a visit or wants to cut the visit short.

With Skids, well he used me as the main excuse as to why (for the 3rd ask) SD23 Feral Forger was not allowed to move back in. He also added that it was because she has made zero efforts towards having a relationship with him.

Im super done with being used as an excuse for whatever with whomever.

Ive been taking myself out of all the ecquations.

Birchclimber's picture

Sorry!  I typed a response, but I am experiencing technical difficulties!!! lol 
No time to start my response over again. 

MissTexas's picture

and your DH knows very well that he decided to make the EXECUTIVE decision and not include you in that process when he gave his daughter exclusive permission to move into YOUR newly purchased home, (with zero parameters) that the two of you share together. Essentially, there is NO END IN SIGHT. IT's Hotel California...she can check in, but she never has to leave.

Think about it, what newlywed couple, especially a wifem  envisions living in an instant blended family, especially when there has been no conversation or agreement about it beforehand? I realize you have a minor age daughter, and presume, or surmise there have been conversations about her living under the same roof, as she is not of age to be self-supportive.

He has taken away your rights as a wife, your voice and your marital power and given it to his daughter. More than THAT, he SUCCINCTLY SHOWED HER (& you) WHERE HE PLACES HER IN HIS LIFE, and WHERE HE PLACES YOU, & SHE KNOWS THAT.  That's what would upset me the most. Please know this is not a criticism, but an observation from one who has repeatedly had very powerful, life altering  EXECUTIVE decisions made for her,  I lived with the outcome, once I learned what had happened. It's a long story, but I don't want you to have to set foot on this journey.

Please check-in and let us know how you're faring.

salemcat2023's picture

Hi everyone. Sorry for not checking in!

She has been very quiet lately - no doubt protecting her position. It's not been mentioned. However, my husband thinks it will be ok to ask £50 a week rent from her. Obviously this is a drop in the ocean amount of money. In the UK the cost of living is off the scale. I pay all household bills - electricity prices are rising all the time, food is more expensive - therefore I am going to suggest that if he wants to charge her this insulting amount of money, he will have to make up the shortfall. I will also stress the point that he is making a situation where she will not be living in the real world at all. 

Winterglow's picture

Fifty quid a week? Seriously? No. I would take that fifty quid and tell him to shove it. Go for the cost of what she was paying to the hospital and add 25%. How about a third of ALL the bills (electricity, food, everything) on top of that? That would only be justified. Everything payable in advance or out she goes. Also keep a track of your bills before she moves in and after. You want to be able to show that she's a bottomless pit. Why are you paying all the bills?

If someone is going to be a sponge in your home and contaminate your happy living environment with their presence, she'd better be willing and able to pay through the nose for the privilege.

salemcat2023's picture

Just to update you all.

she's coming this Saturday. Now I just need advice about coping with her while she's here. It's going to be a huge test of my patience 

Winterglow's picture

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you have made it clear that this is not a permanent solution and that she has to find herself somewhere else before X date. In the meantime, make her life as uncomfortable as you possibly can. Be creative. Never forget that this is your home and you shouldn't be inconvenienced.

Survivingstephell's picture

First rule is DO NOT make it comfortable for either of them.  SD needs to move out and making it comfortable will keep her there.  As for DH, well, IMO I'd cut down the adult cardio's sessions to when she is gone.   Classic conditioning.  She's gone, you get enjoy being newlyweds.  She's home, you all are just roommates.  Keep him uncomfortable with her there too.  Lol.  Some will say this is a stupid way to go BUT, he put another female in front of you and how can you find him attractive for doing that?   Logical consequences for both of them.  

Since you pay the utilities, don't be afraid to cut them off or just be a general pain the butt about them.  If she complains, point out if she wants control of her environment then she should get her own.  Shrug your shoulders and move on.  Make  her not like it.   Make your man relish the time it's just the two of you.  

Cover1W's picture

I really hope you had a serious discussion with your DH and that expectations and a move out date were put into place.

If not, this will not end well. You hold your DHs feet to the fire on this. And as for your SD, since she is an adult and a roommate treat her as such. No holding back on her. Example: if a roommate leaves the kitchen a mess then you would naturally ask them to clean it up.

salemcat2023's picture

Thankyou everyone. To say I am worried isn't enough. She comes tomorrow. 
Any advice as to how to subtly make her uncomfortable and want to leave would be most welcome 

Winterglow's picture

Lots of noise while she's trying to sleep.

Demanding her third of the bills (face to face, hand out). Just because daddykins isn't expecting much from her in the way of rent doesn't mean you have to pay for the rest for her.

If she doesn't cough up her third of the grocery money, you don't include her in meal planning. She's old enough to fend for herself.

Draw up a chore chart for all three of you. Pin it to the fridge.

Do absolutely nothing for her. She needs a ride somewhere? Ask your dad. Be completely unavailable for her.

Switch off the WiFi when you go to bed.

Winterglow's picture

Don't be subtle about it at all. Let her know she isn't welcome. Never forget that your husband completely disregarded your right to be included in ALL decision-making that concerns you. Inviting a third wheel to live with you absolutely concerns you.

Do not use kid gloves. Be blunt. Stare her down in silence at every possible opportunity

Marianne's picture

You don't need to be fake nice or fake happy about the living situation. Be yourself and try and find a way for you and your daughter to feel safe--since there is already an unhealthy air of anxeity. It does not sound like you really have the space for another adult and that generates strain from the start. Do not people please once SD arrives. Let her figure it out and if she intrudes into your space or goes beyond her room with stuff, politely let her know that she can't spread out in your home. If she needs to know why--tell her it is obvious that your home has limited size. Maybe a family meeting to make agreements would be a good strategy. Agreements like, visitors, noise, cleaning up, bills.....How about how we agree to treat each other.....I feel for you. The agreement thing can be healthy and helpful--also let you know how cooperative SD will be. Maybe you and DH can talk about agreements you would like to see together with your daughter and discuss your agreements with SD when she gets her stuff in her room. This would not be intervention style, just a time to come together and discuss how you see living together in a family group.

ndc's picture

Has her dad laid out the rules and requirements and maximum time frame for her stay?

Winterglow's picture

Tell him that if he hasn't done it by tonight that you will do it and that he had better damn well have your back!

ESMOD's picture

When I have been in similar circumstances.. I have told people.. they better deliver the message.. because they may find they don't appreciate the way that I will do it..lol.

Cover1W's picture

He is just 100% setting the stage for you to be the 'bad guy.'

And personally, if he's doing that, as ESMOD says, feel free to fill that role and tell your DH exactly why and how it's going to be if he doesn't. You are not kicking her out (immediately) but laying expecations for living together as ADULTS. What anyone would do with any roommate!

Marianne's picture

I'm so sorry that the vibe of your home is negative so soon and that rules were not immediately established. You should not have to feel like a prisoner in your own home. Be there for your daughter and I truly hope that she moves out soon.

Merry's picture

Don't wait to establish boundaries and expectations. If it's not done early, it is hard to put them in place later. 

And don't ever forget that you are doing HER a favor. SHE needs to accommodate the existing household, fit in to existing routine. She is NOT a guest, a princess, a fragile treasure that must be treated with special handling. She MUST be a contributing member of the household -- chores at a minimul with an expectation of behavior conducive to peaceful family life.

I regret reyling on my DH to communicate expectations to his son without me being present. Avoidance of conflict led to conflict.

salemcat2023's picture

Hi everyone. She's behaving but I suspect this is how she intends go on, to stay as long as she can. I just feel hugely resentful of husband right now for practically giving our house away. He's made ridiculous statements - "it's what you do for your kids" when he said before he couldn't live with her. Also, the best one....."we're a family now, don't all families live together?"

had enough and she's only been there since yesterday. 
The thought of moving me and my daughter out is creeping into my mind 

Winterglow's picture

All families live together? ROFL! Ask him how old he was when he moved out of his parents' home! What he isn't still living with them? But isn't that what families DO? Right?

salemcat2023's picture

Interesting you should make that point. He was practically kicked out to boarding school when he was 11 

lala-land's picture

Madam,  I am still trying to wrap my mind around your situation.  This fully grown, employed woman was given 6 months free accommodation and for whatever reason did not secure new housing.  She created an emergency and asked your DH to move into your home.  And he said yes!  I also can't understand why your DH did not discuss this with you.   Lack of planning on her part, should not create an emergency on your part.  What makes you think she will  look for her own place, given that she did nothing to solve this issue for the last half year.  At this point I would give her a month to find alternative housing and your DH can join her if he wishes to as well.

salemcat2023's picture

Hi everyone, an update for you

She arrived on the 4th. I feel like my house isn't mine anymore. I'm resenting husband more and more but trying not to show it. I'm losing weight with the stress. She is behaving but the stupidity and selfishness is plain as day.

Winterglow's picture

Stop hiding your resentment! Let it all out! Be clear that you want her out of there and that you want your home back! Stop being a martyr to this setup! Your husband is not a mind-reader and  by trying to put a brave face on this, he is going to think that you don't really mind his daughter being there. And what happens then? Well, he tells her she can stay as long as she likes ... Sometimes you just have to take the bull by the horns.

Why are you so scared to show your true feelings when they are eating you up?

I only got my step situation sorted when I was super clear about how I felt.  It got to the point that I was considering moving out of MY home that I paid for to avoid living with an adult skid.  But I was a complete wreck by that point that took serious therapy to unwind.

Birchclimber's picture

Nope. This is your house. Your private residence, where you find calmness and respite from the outside world. She is disturbing your peace by being there. Your home is the one place where you can go, where you don't need to put on a facade to placate people. If you are putting on a facade in your own home, then something needs to change. You need to have a discussion with your husband and tell him that you are not feeling comfortable in your own home and she really has to go. Explain that she hasn't done anything wrong. You just need your privacy back.

Miss T's picture

Back in the bad old days, SS 33 (?) used to be imposed on me during school vacations. Until he turned 18 DH's custody agreement demanded he spend EOWend with his father. When he aged out and his dam was no longer receiving child support payments from DH, it was convenient for him to stay with us during his university's winter, spring, and summer breaks. That is, it was convenient for everyone except me. He refused to work. He hung around the house constantly, beating off to porn and leaving dirty dishes for Someone Else to clean up. I absolutely freaking hated it but said little while steaming internally. Finally one day something tipped me over the edge. I went full banshee on DH. The madness stopped immediately. I haven't spent a night under a roof with SS  since.

All this to say, you've got to get this young woman out of there ASAP. It can be done. Forget the silly promises about rent and chore divisions and every other polite little pretension that she's just a roommate. She's not. She's a hostile intruder. Your DH was a jackhat to give her permission to stay with you, and she needs to go. Sorry to say but from the sound of it you'll need to start with the dial turned all the way up to 10. 

Do remember it's possible your DH knows this is a terrible arrangement and is setting you up to be the bad guy who says NFW. Embrace the role. Be your worst self. Show him how right he was to rely on you to be Super Witch and put a stop to his brat daughter's BS.

Good luck.

CLove's picture

Might as well be the bad guy scapegoat instead of the bad guy whipping post.

Buck up! Get that girl outta there!

Flustered's picture

My DH and I agreed before we married that at 21 both of our BDs had to go - unless still in college ( they were 18 & 21/ both still in college when we married) With my BD ( then 18)? She decided to live with her BF and later got an apt. My SD? Stayed here about 2 mos and moved in with her boyfriend down the road so didn't have to share a house with me, her SM. She broke up with him ( she was still in college) and came back here for 4 mos. I did zero for her- no wash, cleaning, nothing. She made herself scarce. She quickly left when she got with another bf. They later married. My only issues with her? After my DH died, she got " sticky fingers " for things she had not wanted for over 24 years/ watch the household possessions!,

salemcat2023's picture

Am I right in thinking she should have paid some rent up front when she arrived on the 4th?

Cover1W's picture

Of course you are!  And there should be a rental agreement that outlines how much, when to pay and what happens if she doesn't!

salemcat2023's picture

Hi everyone 

so yesterday she had the TV on in the living room at a huge volume. My mum, who watches my 14 year old while I'm at work, politely asked her to turn it down a little. 
she now says my mum "told her off".

she's furious. I don't know how to handle this 

Winterglow's picture

Simply say,"oh,you poor little thing."  What is there to handle? Your mother did nothing wrong.

Winterglow's picture

I hope your mother asked her why she lied. She needs to be called out on these things. Please also take note of this. Document all of her crap so that when the time comes you can provide the facts on why she needs to leave.

Also remind your SS that she is a guest in your home and should be respectful of others at all times.

Winterglow's picture

I hope your mother asked her why she lied. She needs to be called out on these things. Please also take note of this. Document all of her crap so that when the time comes you can provide the facts on why she needs to leave.

Also remind your SS that she is a guest in your home and should be respectful of others at all times.

Winterglow's picture

If she behaves like a child then treat her like one. 

"You're old enough to sort these things out by yourself."

Make sure she understands that, at her age, tattling isn't pretty.

didn'tsignupforapunk's picture

My suggestion is to talk with a lawyer and figure out what your legal options are for forcing her out, and ASAP. And if your DH objects or whines that she'll have no place to go, let him know that she can fifgure out how to live in a motel or car. 

salemcat2023's picture

Hi all.

So she's gone away on holiday for a week and the house feels so much better. She's behaving but has definitely slipped a couple of times. What I need now is tactics or advice for subtly getting her to leave. I would really appreciate all your help again xx 

Stepdrama2020's picture

Just dont make it comfortable for her. Speak up when needed. Except this will make DH upset. So either you are at the point that you dont give a rats a** what DH thinks, or you suffer in silence. Either way you suffer. So choose whats best for you.

Frankly if DH is more worried about an adult SD than his wife you will never have peace.

At some point you need to make this a hill to die on because frankly you arent happy. Your home should be your happy place, remember that.

Blessings

ETA maybe  make a new blog  asking this .

Winterglow's picture

Subtlety does not work with freeloaders - you have to be blunt to the point of rudeness. What are the plans for her leaving? This IS temporary, right? Now is the time to talk with your husband about her leaving date. Do not put this off. He HAS to hear that you are not happy with his daughter invading your love nest. She doesn't need to stay with you but she's doing it out of convenience and because it's either cheap or free. Not on. TRhe longer you put off putting your foot down, the harder it will be to get her to leave. Stop pussyfooting around this and make your case as the queen of your castle! Tell him how much you resent having to share your home with someone. This isn't what you signed up for. 

CLove's picture

That way you can really hone in on the situation and issues. And then come back for answers to THAT question (Im taking notes!)

salemcat2023's picture

An update for you all

She's been here since 4 Feb. We don't see a lot of her, she's at work a lot or spends time in the room. I refuse to call it her bedroom. I just hate her. I feel awful saying it. She's always broke, but she has paid me rent. £300 a month. Insulting with the cost of living. She's made no effort to even start looking for somewhere else. I can't really talk to husband about it. He becomes instantly defensive and I can't face a huge row. I've no privacy.

feels like it's not my house at all 

Lillywy00's picture

Most parents are going to be defensive about their kids so you should have put your foot down in the beginning and refused to let her stay in your home. 

Now you either have to get really demanding about and END date of when she will leave OR you have to leave to show your husband he's being a horrible husband if he doesn't listen to your valid concerns and take action. 

As parents we may love our kids but we are NOT obligated to provide for them after they turn into adults. Neither one of you are obligated to her anymore. 

Stack that 300 she's paying, tell her she has TWO weeks (3 weeks if you want to be generous) and use the rent money she paid you to pay for her hotel for a week once she leaves y'all's house. 

If husband pushes back, attend therapy to try to get on the same page, but if he's too militant then leave and get your own space. 

*i know EXACTLY how you feel when I read the title it feels like step kids are territory invaders especially if you have an uncooperative spouse/partner which makes the whole thing like you're the guest in your own home. Step parents deal with it for 18 years but when those steps turn into adults they definitely are not staying overnight anymore. 

Harry's picture

Find her an apartment, making sure it's not to closed to your home.  Maybe find her a BF.  To give her something to do.  Be the big person and pay the first  month rent. Get her out.  She has it made,  She not going anywhere,  becafeful that she doesn't get a BF and moves him in also, 

salemcat2023's picture

An update

She is still here. I couldn't possibly hate a person any more than I do right now. She's stupid, a liar, manipulative, making no effort to move, and she's dating a disgusting little weasel who has a criminal record and for her, he's "her everything". To cut a long story short, he's banned from the house. 
I'm at athe end of my tether. 

Cover1W's picture

Not a surprise considering the back story of how she ended up there. What is your plan now? You need a plan and set down exactly what will happen next if she continues to live there.

CLove's picture

Have you had the talk with husband yet?

Are you ready to give him some sort of ultimatum? Youve been avoiding fighting with him for a while now. He needs a fight.

I cant imagine living with someone I despise. I didnt particularly enjoy living with SD16almost17 Powersulk, and hated living with SD24 Feral Forger. She was miserable and filthy. But at least I didnt have to deal with her friends, whom Ive heard are horrible.

ndc's picture

Have you considered moving out? Are you at the ultimatum point? This situation sounds miserable and unsustainable. If you can't even talk to your husband about it, is this marriage worth it?

Winterglow's picture

Tell your husband that she has to double the 300 and you want it upfront. If he objects,tell him that as you are inconvenienced by his offspring you might as well get something out of it.

To be honest, I'd force the sale of the house if you can't get her out. Then he can go find somewhere for them both to live... 

Oh and stick to your guns about the weasel. If she wants him to sleep over ( skid code for "move in"), that's your cue to put your foot down. If she wants to sleep with the guy, she gets herself her own place ...or she can move in with him.