You are here

Wont settle / how long till court.

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture
Forums: 

So disclaimer if your advice is telling me to disengage and not care it’s going to fall on deaf ears. I am not blind to the trouble that may be in my future but this is the path that works for me.

My questions,
Boyfriend is going through the divorce and custody with his ex-wife. She at first was attempting to remove his legal rights to the kids making statements about his personal life that A) also apply to her and Dirol are in no way impactful to the children. She thought he would lie down and take it and when he sent back the evidence showing she was engaged in the same behavior she got a new lawyer.

From moment one my boyfriend has attempted to settle. He has very clearly offered to pay the expected child support, is leaving primary custody of the children with her, and just wants the standard visitation that is his right.

The thing is he would love full custody of the children but due to the way she left him he had to let her keep the kids which of course makes it harder for him to take them now. Everything that he has on her is not enough to prove she is unfit parent. He believes that he will within a few years get the children full time due to her inability to parent. She is constantly complaining to him about issues she has with the children that aren’t a problem when they are with us. The oldest expresses displeasure when it’s time for her to go back to moms and the youngest is getting in trouble at preschool. He states he was disciplinarian when they lived together. Now that he isn’t with her he isn’t just the “bad guy”. Since we’ve been together I’ve seen the relationship with his children grow and he really is a good father.

But I digress. He had hoped when he got the new lawyer she would be ready to settle but instead her behaviors gotten worse. She delays responding to request of his lawyer and will never gives him straight answers over the text messaging app they use. Like right now he’s waiting for “permission” to start paying child support and she won’t respond, without her response he can’t set up the account through the state. She repeatedly refers back to the ‘standard visitation’ when it suits her but throws a fit when it doesn’t and legally right now she doesn’t have to follow it.

We don’t understand what she benefits from going to court. Other than her attempt to remove his legal rights to the children she never attempted to deny him visitation (unless it’s a holiday or birthday whatever). He’s agreeing to pay the full amount of child support he should. He has no desire to air her dirty laundry in court but if she pushes he will. He isn’t attempting to take the children from her in any way. She hasn't made any extra demands on him. Nothing about terminating visitation, paying more money, or anything we can think of.

So other than venting my question is how long she can keep this going. At what point can he demand it go to court if she wont agree to settle. At what point does it become over the top and can he request she cover his legal cost. His lawyer has been very reasonable (someone I know though my circle of friends) but there’s only so much he can do and is willing before he request to be paid more. He’s put in HOURS of work already and only charged 700. If the case was over like it felt like it would be that would be it but if she keeps this up much longer he will request to be paid more. Especially if it goes to court without being settled. The contract that my boyfriend signed did say that the lawyer is entitled to more but he is doing a lot of this as a favor in a way.

Sorry for so much. Again I know a lot of the feedback I’m going to get here is going to be less than helpful but if anyone has any advice other than “leave him” I’d love to hear it. It's just very stressful and he (and I) want it over so we have a court agreement and can move on for now. Yes I understand she will never go away but they can't even get the initial stuff taken care of.

I met him after they were fully separated. It was a surprised that we clicked the way we did and together we are very happy. The children are pretty good and I have a decent relationship with them. I know that might change but right now they’ve said that they are happy. We share an apartment because together it was cheaper and it gives him an extra room. Before he lived in a one bedroom which meant the kids slept in the living room. Now they at least have their own room. He moved about 45 minutes away to stop her showing up randomly on his door but still leaves him close enough to see the children and he takes care of both pick up and drop off as well as still showing up for random school events. He was also able to get a better paying job in this area as well as it being consider a safer area to live. Though it doesn’t seem like it the move helped him out all the way around. When I first met him between paying his bills and giving her money to help with the kids he didn’t even have food in the house for himself. We split the bills and he’s putting aside the child support and still has a little left over. I will add that it was not a rush decision and there are agreements in place if things don’t work out but that’s not where we are at.

I was with him and we talked to the lawyer about child support. Since she kept all of the marital assets she would owe him a couple thousand. The lawyer has offered to ignore that if a certain amount of the back child support is waved. As for what he should be paying now. Without a court order (which means she has to agree to the amount stated and she is arguing it) he can not have the money deducted from his check to go through the state child support tracking system. This means any money he paid now even with receipts could be called a gift (and has been). He had been providing help but it didn't matter because it didn't go through that system. He is holding on to the money in cash to put into the account as soon as it is created. So that any back owed money will be paid upfront though the system.
This has been discussed with the lawyer. He MUST have a court order for child support. All the stuff he's done in the past means NOTHING because it didn't go through the system and there wasn't anything filed yet.

notsobad's picture

He should stop paying her anything and put what he thinks he'll owe + 10% into a bank account. He will at some point have to pay it to her.

Perhaps not giving her any money until she goes to court will entice her to move this whole thing along.

He should also keep all correspondence between them to show that he's wanted to deal with this and she's been stalling.

He did when we started seeing the lawyer and we're told that all the records we had were nothing. That all the stuff we'd bought when asked and everything else would be considered gifts. He has the lawyer repeatedly stating we want to settle and requesting to know what hoops need to be jumped through. Hes repeated we don't want to fight about whos right and whos wrong. Stuff like she tried lying and saying she was living with her mom while we had text and the kids saying shes living with a boyfriend. OK well he now lives with me.

We've responded to the discovery questions (some about me) ASAP each time. He tries to restrict communication to a parenting app that can be used in court. Any time she doesn't like what's going on she will stop talking.

A few weeks ago we were going to see the lawyer to give him more pay stubs and talk visitation. We asked if there was anything she wanted to put in or change then. She refused to even discuss (understandably her right) but tried to say it was us trying to pull one over on her. Nope if they can agree to something what does it matter what lawyer puts it in the paperwork.

Now a month later she's trying to make changes to summer visitation. She didn't care that he was gonna have the daughter for 6 whole weeks but when we tried to talk about camp for the kids and pointed out the son is also suppose to come for the same 6 weeks she threw fit. Tried changing it saying it was to help him with child care. There is no child care. Between me and him the children will always be supervised. We want to send them to a day summer camp program through a local athletic club.

Took weeks to get a response if she was gonna let him have them next week for Easter and we still don't have anything set in stone. Legally she doesn't have to. Nothing is court ordered which is why we want this through. She will say "We're following this standard visitation plan" when it works for her then attempt to back out when it doesn't. With a court order if she does it then we have a legal avenue to pursue.

I'm not joking she highlighted the information about Easter and sent it to him. Said this is what we're doing your suppose to return them at 9 in the morning. Pointed out she read it wrong and then she stops talking.

He has no desire to not help with the kids but over the summer she would attempt to pull the "give me more money or you don't see the kids". When he stopped because he couldn't give her more she then started to drop them off on him an hour before he had to go to work so he'd miss work. She has screamed at him over the phone when he was attempting to return the kids and she wasn't home. Never said she wouldn't be and wouldn't tell us when she would be but if we're late the same screaming phone call happens.

we just want everything through the court so the games stop. She's out in complaints that he didn't do this or that like he didn't buy school clothes. Nope he gave you cash (I saw) and bought school supplies since that's what he knew they needed. But all that's gifts since it was "court ordered".

notsobad's picture

Stop negotiating with her and get your lawyer to set a court date.
Say no to alll her requests and force her to court. That includes all money.

The correspondence I meant is him asking to go to court and her refusing. Also, anything with her asking for money or withholding the kids unless she gets it.

Show up to pick them up, if she won't let them go with him, take picture of him at the pick up point. Buy something small and get a receipt with the address, date and time.

I can only think that she is doing the opposite of anything he wants. You could try reverse psychology on her. Tell her there is no way you're taking the skids for Easter and see if she drops them off!

Currently he picks them up from school on Fridays. The teachers do see him but I'm not sure if they'd be able to remember since they are handling so many children. We confirm every week before hand that we are suppose to do that and she gives attitude but oh well.

We know from past experience that she wants them holidays. She refused to let him have them for their birthdays back when they just had a verbal agreement. She'd withhold them any time something special was going on. Again this is why we want the court order. That way it's set in stone and if she tries to go against it he has recourse.

twoviewpoints's picture

BM moved her and the children out of home and into a house with a new boyfriend (who she was cheating with). All prior to legally separating .

But BM being a jerk doesn't mean he would have gotten full custody anyway.

He would love full custody but because she left him homeless he was unable to take the kids then. She has had them in her care and as we all know a judge does not like to switch care. I've done my research to know that he's not lying. She literally told him one day on his way to work that she and the kids would be gone and he didn't have the place anymore.

He lost the place because of the way she left. Yes he couldn't afford to keep the place alone and without warning he had no chance to find something or have money for the down payment.

If your living with someone. Paying for the place together then tomorrow they say bye tough shit would you be able to suddenly cover all of the bills by yourself. She left without warning. One morning "I'm going, I'm taking the kids, you can't live here anymore." She cleaned out their joint bank account and left him with nothing.

I can understand that. I come on strong because I've seen how much people are attacked here for "dating married men" and "your not the mother". As well as "stay out of this it's his issue" ect. I am proactively a bit defensive. We've asked the lawyer as I said. Paying directly to her it can be called a gift. If she prolongs much more we can go through her lawyer but we are attempting to set up the account. The lawyer stated that without a court order the CSE (whatever it's call here) will not set up an account.

I don't understand the question. I know he tried to present his grounds for divorce, physical abuse and adultery both she denied and if push comes to shove he could prove. I think you're asking if he can separate the divorce from the custody case. We can ask the lawyer but I worry she's got it all so tangled up she wouldn't let one go without the other. I don't fully understand her motives as I've said. Other than she likes being in control and thinks she's standing on the high ground. She changed lawyers recently when we thought things were gonna be done. I don't see her letting one thing go if it doesn't help her.

Putain des Palaces's picture

Because I get the distinct impression that neither Mom nor Dad are in any rush to actually become divorced ... and perhaps filing one or the other would convince SM that he does indeed want to be divorced.

Y'know?

We see the lawyer again Friday. Boyfriend has been doing everything in his power to make sure that the lawyer has everything he needs from him. He had hoped to settle due to the cost of fighting in court but since it appears that BM may be trying to set up for that battle anyways he intends to pull the trigger. We've been discussing who all he needs to add to list of witnesses and what else he wants to add to discovery. Since she has made a very clear attack on our privet relationship he intends to do the same with hers. He needs to get a hold of the NCO that she first cheated on him with that she has lied about then put together the list of guys she had this summer who were all introduced to the kids. As well as pulling up all the old text since she's trying to play one as if she sent it. Truth was he did and it helps prove she was abusive towards him and kicked him out of the home, which she is fully denying. Ontop of that he can find the ones where she refuses to let him see the kids while her paperwork says he refused to see his daughter. YADA YADA YADA it's going to be a fun morning ugh.

Its not that he doesn't want it, it's that it's expensive, and he's being doing his best to get back on his feet. I can't and won't pay for it. He was just denied being added to my lease because apparently while he was overseas she didn't pay rent and that's in collections now.

He was giving her money or buying things she requested like clothing and school supplies. This stopped when he spoke to the lawyer and he said that even with text and receipts it would be called gifts and he would still have to pay all the back child support.

She seems focused on attacking his personal choices and our relationship which we have nothing to hide. We don't know if the intent is still her trying to get full legal custody. Right now she just got alot of money because of claiming the kids alone on taxes so that maybe why she's not so worried.

I would say yes. He was making less than he does now and was giving her more than the charts say he is suppose to noe.

Maxwell09's picture

Some women just want to win. They just want someone else to tell their Ex that they are better than them. I don't think your DH/SO/BF/whatever should settle for Every-Other-Weekend and half holidays. To me, that's a cop out and takes away his right to complain that BM is unfit when he isn't even TRYING. He should go for 50/50, offer transportation and take child support off the table. Depending on the state and how good of a lawyer he has, he could pose a threat and actually get awarded as much. If there's a chance he should take it, if there's a chance and BM's lawyer is smart enough to see it then she will be willing to settle with 50/50 with child support. Most judges lean towards 50/50 these days.

Due to the distance 50/50 is impossible. They would be required to ride almost an hour to his home then an hour in the morning to school. Not to mention he does have a job that wouldn't allow him to take them to school.

He is attempting not to fight because he can't afford to fight for full custody now. We've presented what we have and its not enough for a judge to switch custody when they've been with mom as long as they have. They would be moving to a different town and school if he got full so he has to have more to present. Right now she gets by because she has the support of a family member (who's dying). It sounds bad but when this person dies she will fall apart. She wont have anyone to drop the kids on when she wants to go play and will have to be an adult. Right now she manages to play mom without doing the hard stuff.

No I'll hear other stuff I've just been torn into before without any actual advice being given.

Advice like stop dating him and you're nothing is not helpful. Helpful is this is what happen to me learn from my mistake.

I know I'm new to this but I feel (from other sites also) that there is alot of negativity towards anyone new. I understand it's rough. I know things are gonna be hard at times. I know the sweet little 4 year old who cuddles up next to me for story time one day may hate my guts. I know people have been used, ignored, and disrespected.

But I've been attacked before because I had the nerve to talk about being on a team with my partner. Heaven forbid I support him emotionally.

I've been attacked because I'm happy when we have them for the weekend. That I bought them a Christmas present. That is why my opening is there. I don't want to be personally attacked for doing what's working for us.

notsobad's picture

Keep all corespondance, stop giving her any money, put CS money + a bit more away and hopefully she'll see the light and get a move on going to court.

My divorce took forever and I didn't get CS for three years. Nothing I did or him really. We had a lot of things to wade through. Although CS was a problem, the only way I could have dealt with it at that time was to have him thrown in jail and I didn't want to do that.

Putain des Palaces's picture

Unfortunately if he stops now it can backfire on him in court - even if he's paying without an order.

We are following lawyer advice to stop all of it for the time being till the joint assets are split and the set amount is agreed. We have the chart and know what he should pay. It is being set aside.

notsobad's picture

Not if he has the money in a separate account and has documentation showing her reluctance to go to court.

Indigo's picture

Temporary court orders are very quick and usually cover temporary visitation/child support/household maintenance. Broad strokes with few details and no sense of "fairness." File for temporary orders: typically granted in a few days, a week or 10 days, to my knowledge. (Even clogged courts acknowledge that families need to be fed and housed.)

EDIT to add: Only aware of a few state's requirements, but in my understanding, no lawyer is required.

Despite your later explanation of the attorney's perception/interpretation of the situation: BF owes daily/weekly/monthly child support. If a state calculator is used to figure it out, his situation will be straight-forward. Document with email and a paper trail. The monies sent by drips-and-drabs without acknowledgment can be called a gift, so use a specific format such as: "Hey, Sherry. Used the State of Colorado's child support calculator to get a ballpark idea, so here is check #2015 in the amount of $1200 for child support for the month of May 2017."

BTW: there is no true standard visitation for NCP since the courts are evolving constantly in the area of family law. Spell it out: every other week at our house while you & BF handle trips to school/activities or Thurs-Sat/Sun-Weds rotations or ... Anyway that you look at it, BF will need to modify his job, get childcare, pay for UBER or move closer to handle school issues.

An hour commute for kids/adults is not outlandish when the goal is to maintain continuity for the children. Folks make it work all the time. Rural folk think nothing of a 25 mile one-way drive to school. Who moved away and can BF move closer to the school? It may be more inconvenient for him but better for his future as an involved father.

Difficult work schedules are handled all the time. For instance, cops and nurses manage to get kids to school, work shift-work that changes all the time and still pay their bills. (Naming professions which can switch from days, to swing, to graveyard). Military households have their own challenges, but there is usually a way to make things work ... IF THE PARENT WANTS IT TO HAPPEN.

BF's wife can drag the situation out as long as BF is willing. Lots of married folk separate/reconnect/re-separate ... then, start divorce/stop divorce proceedings. "Fully separated" isn't much of a thing --- they can be separated in different households for 5 years and still 'feel' married to each other. Not matter what lip service they give to their current side-pieces, it doesn't rate much. BF and his wife don't sound "that done" with each other emotionally. Too much passion and I'll bet a dime BF speaks to her differently than he relays to you in order to "keep the peace." BF will place all the blame on his wife, but that's likely a smokescreen on his part.

Likely they need to be divorced, but emotions aren't black-and-white. It sounds as if there is still a typical emotional tug-of-war between BF and his wife.

Your response to Echo with your "ATTACK-VICTIM" comments made me snort some decent Cabernet up into my nose. Painful. FFS.

We were unaware temporary orders can be filed.

I should add that she started the process was in December.

When I met my boyfriend it was after he got his own place. With the job he was working at the time he had enough to give her money for the kids, pay his bills, and make sure the kids had food when visiting. I observed this each pay check. I observed him hand her money and her attempt to demand more. He almost lost his place twice because he did. He would pawn the one thing he had of value (game system) to make up the difference.

When she left he went to work unsure of where he would spend the night and a friend offered him a bed. He saved for the down payment to the one bedroom he was staying at. He wanted to file himself sooner but was incapable due to lack of funds. Again I observed this first hand. I would not pay for him to file.

She filed after he moved in with me and she could not longer drop the kids on him. She had started to come by an hour before he was suppose to work and leave the kids. He would then have to call in since he was unable to do anything else.

Living with me he was starting to get back on his feet when the paperwork came through. He wants the divorce and custody battle done and has quickly responded to every request from her lawyer or his. He wants the stuff settled so he has a legal leg to stand on if she tries to refuse his time to see the kids like she had in the past.

When he moved in with me he did get a much better paying job but he doesn't have the power to change his hours. I've observed him put in applications else where but he has no college history so he's not going to find much better. He is former military and is going through the VA for his disability claim.

He did move away from her due to her hostility. This distance means she can no longer show up before his work and leave the kids or come to his work demanding more money. He would have called the cops for abandonment before but since he was living in a one bedroom working nights he was worried what would happen to the kids.

He had no support. He was an emancipated youth at 16 and went through military basic training when he was 17.

I understand peoples push for 50/50 but its not possible at this time. Moving back means going back to her hostility. We've discussed it but for both of us it means unstable jobs that lead to burn out as well as being at her mercy. We've talked about finding a place in the middle ground but we can't afford it honestly. Deposits and such are out of our realm of our ability.

As it is I called in favors with friends and got a lot of my old stuff from when I was growing up so that the kids have an acceptable room when they stay with us. Before they would sleep in the living room on the couch. Now they have their own room at least.

hereiam's picture

Fifty/fifty is not always doable and not everybody has the financial means to fight for it. And it often backfires, as I have read about on this site. Don't let people tell you that he's a bad dad just because he doesn't fight for physical 50/50.

Thank you. If he could he would but it's not doable. She also has the week days off so it's easier for the kids to stay with her as long as that's the school they go to. He doesn't want to put them through that much strain. Spending that long in a car just to go home, eat, and go to bed. By doing what he is he gets quality time when he has the kids. It's not just being in the car with them.

Indigo's picture

" till the joint assets are split and the set amount is agreed.... " -- OP

OMG, your BF's attorney is a freakin' ass if that is his advice.

The children will have shriveled away from malnutrition, blown away by a cold winter's wind at this rate. By your representation, the children have been free from any support from BF since before you hooked up with him. Poor kids. Hope CPS takes them and bills both parents.

BF's attorney is apparently willing to sanction child abuse since he is advising his client to NOT FEED, to NOT HOUSE, to NOT CLOTHE his client's children. Bullsh*t.

There are formulas and computer spreadsheets which identify each parent's contribution to the support of a minor child. Pro-rated, of course. What you have been posting so far smacks of "urban legend," "he-said," "my-sister's-hair-dresser-who-got-a-divorce-said." In other words, the more that you have clarified your situation, the more outlandish it sounds.

The kids are not going without. She and her boyfriend both work. The kids are taken care of and before the advice from the lawyer he was helping. The main asset is the car she got with their joint taxes when they separated. It's worth much more then the jeep he has. It's enough to cover the back child support. Again during this time he was providing for the kids but the receipts don't matter. It's being called a gift until there is an order. Yes if it goes on much longer we will attempt to go through the lawyers to pay. That's why he is keeping it when he cashes his checks. He could send her a check tomorrow but the lawyer was hoping to get it to go through the state so it can be tracked and she can't deny she got it like she is right now. She made claims like "he didn't buy school clothes" nope I saw him hand you cash and I know for a fact that you were giving school supplies for the kids.

The receipts are being called gifts since it wasn't written up right to reflect that they were for child support even though that was the intent. I know me being a witness means nothing. That's why we want to make sure the rest gets record correctly and the easiest way is to get the order and go though the state system.

Rags's picture

My understanding is that either of them can take it to court anytime they want to. If she won't negotiate... why wait?

hereiam's picture

This is what I was thinking. Why doesn't his lawyer just have her served and set a court date?

Because we had hoped to settle and honestly didn't know we could. Our understanding was as long as she is responding to stuff and there is back and forth it can stay out of the court system. But since I'm repeatedly seeing people say we can push for court we'll talk with the lawyer Friday about preparing a case to present and moving on.

hereiam's picture

Our understanding was as long as she is responding to stuff and there is back and forth it can stay out of the court system.

But that is not working and she obviously does not want to cooperate, so.... time to sue her for a divorce (basically what it amounts to).

Yes which I'm now informed that we are capable of doing. I know it's stupid but I really didn't think we could. Time to press the lawyer. Thank you.

101Stepmom101's picture

Make sure he is paying her child support with a check and it says CHILD SUPPORT on it. My DH got screwed because he was paying his ex CASH Child Support and she took him BACK to court AFTER the divorce was over ~ for BACK child support and she lied about it.. saying he never paid her anything. Since it was cash and he trusted her... (BIG MISTAKE THAT WAS! SHE BROKE YOUR VOWS SLEPT WITH HALF THE TOWN INCLUDING YOUR BEST FRIEND ~ BUT YOU TRUST HER NOW? HA ~ LOOK WHERE THAT GOT YOU!) Court ruled in her favor since there was no proof of payment.

That's why we want it to go through the state. Because we have experienced that. He was trusting and she's picking and poking. She's not saying he didn't pay anything. She's saying he didn't buy this or that. Right now she's upset because he wont cover some dental bills that she wont prove are for the kids. She sent a credit card receipt and we've request the bills from the office. She says the kid had a root canal, kid says it was a tooth pulled, price is REALLY low for a root canal (I've had 5 so I know how much they cost even with GREAT insurance.)

That is a question. We don't know what she's hoping to get out of the delay other than trying to terminate his legal rights to the kids. Most recently we had to answer questions about our sex life which was just great. She went as far to ask him to "admit you've had sex with men". Which is not true. She attempted to play up his relationship with me but then switched lawyer when we sent screen shots of an adult website she was on.

Thumper's picture

It will last for as long as your BOYFRIENDS ex wants it to.

1 year 10 years maybe 20 years. OR when one of them passes away.

That is the darn truth. Even in death it may not end.

If I dated a 'boyfriend' who had proof his ex was UNFIT as a parent and yet didnt pull out everything to protect the child

HE would be an ex.

Best of luck to you Ma'am.

Unfortunately what we have is not enough. Some of it is what we believe because of her actions and what the kids say. Stuff like over the summer she left the kids at her mom's for extended periods of time so she could party. The court views that as acceptable. The kids weren't with her so that means she didn't do anything wrong. The fact that the daughter seemed to take care of the younger son completely to the point of bathing him. Hard to prove and does it really mean she's a bad mom. Maybe it's not that she's completely unfit but more we feel they would be better with him but it's hard to prove.

Solidshadow7's picture

I just feel the need to comment here. I apologize if I missed something because I only skimmed most of the thread due to its length. However, in response to OP's comments that 50/50 cannot be won, or 50/50 is not feasible or doable, or 50/50 is not preferred due to conflict----

I live in Florida. Florida is a preferred 50/50 state so your experience may vary but check with your attorney. My boyfriends ex threw him out (her parents house) and only allowed him to see the child for one hour every two weeks. He went along with this for a while, paying her child support based on estimate of what he believed he would owe. He paid some via personal check, and some via account transfers through his bank. He moved 50 miles away from her because that's where his job was and where I was and she lived out in the middle of nowhere. A year passed like this. He didn't like it but didn't feel there was anything he could do about it. Plus they weren't married, so legally he didn't even rights to the kid. (Your boyfriend does)

When she found out he was dating me she stopped letting him see the child completely and asked him to sign over his rights.

So my boyfriend filed against her. During the course of this his ex first denied paternity to delay him seeing the child, and when that didn't work she made multiple false allegations ranging from domestic violence to child abuse. We did file for a temporary hearing during which his lawyer asked for 50/50. After the temporary hearing my boyfriend ended up with supervised visitation only due to her lying and alleging that she ended the relationship for her and the child's safety due to severe abuse. (She left because she was cheating.)During the course of this he didn't see his son at all for 5 months, (because she wouldn't allow it) so she then used this to also claim he abandoned the child and needed his rights involuntarily terminated. In other words she tried everything.

My boyfriend did the opposite of what your boyfriend did and decided he wanted full custody because if she was a good mother, she wouldn't be acting like this. By the way his attorney also said that check stubs labeled "child support" should be good enough to prevent the money from being determined to be a gift.

So here's what you need to know- Standard visitation, I don't know what it is by you, (worst case is EOW) but in florida its 4 days every other week, is the MINIMUM your boyfriend should receive unless he is an unfit parent no matter what his ex wants. So don't be afraid of trial. He will most likely get more than he's willing to take in mediation, and he won't get less. In order for him to receive less than that, the absolute best she can do is ask for supervised visitation only. This would only be granted if your boyfriend has a criminal record, is on drugs, or she has some kind of proof that he has physically abused her or the child. Even if he somehow did got supervised visitation, after a drug program anger management program etc, he would still eventually get EOW.

It doesn't matter that she threw him out of the house because while the "status quo" (where the child is currently living) does matter, status quo is not officially set in stone until there are some kind of temporary or permanent orders in place. The fact that my boyfriend had barely seen his son in the last year did not hurt his case.

Also, they live 50 miles apart, so you would say that 50/50 is not doable. This case did go to trial, (and despite the fact that the judge actually refused to hear the case) the final order was for 50/50. The child was to attend school in the mothers school district, so the schedule was broken out as follows- The father has 3 weekends a month, from Friday night until Monday morning. The father has every spring and Christmas break. The father has the entire summer break, save for one week the mother gets. The father has alternating holiday weekends. This broke out to him having 46% of the overnights. So 50/50 is perfectly doable. One parent has them for school, and the other has the children the rest of the time. Also a clause was inserted by the judge stating that should the father ever live in the county as the mother, the schedule will change to week on week off.

You also made the argument that 50/50 would not be good because she is high conflict. Let me just point out to you that the parent who has the majority of the time with the child has the majority of the control. If she is as high conflict as you say, its likely that she will eventually turn the child against you and your boyfriend and the child will not want to come see him on his weekend or will act like a monster the entire time because that's what his mother has trained him to do. If instead of having EOW, your boyfriend had the child half the time, you would be much better equipped to defend yourselves from or even retaliate against any nonsense the children's mother may attempt to indoctrinate them with. Its extremely easy to turn a child against a parent they barely ever see. The word of the parent the child knows better is practically the word of g-d.

If your boyfriend had any sense he would fight for the 50% that is his right. He should fight because
there's no reason he cant win, and he won't be any worse off for trying especially if this is going to trial anyway
50/50 is doable within 60 miles or so, it just means one parent has the kid for school and the other has the rest of the time
and 50/50 is his best and possibly only chance to maintain a fulfilling relationship with his children in the event of a high conflict ex who wishes to eliminate the father from the kid's lives, which it appears he has.

And if he loses he should be happy that he got what he initially wanted anyway. And if im wrong and 50/50 is too undoable, or the ex is too crazy, or whatever, he can also just stop seeing the kids save for EOW and eventually he or his ex can file to have that set as the new arrangement based on status quo, (what they are currently doing.)You can step down to an EOW arrangement later, but you wont be able to step up to a 50/50 arrangement.