You are here

Thanks StepTalk for helping me figure out I'm not a Bitch!

Morticia's picture

This is my first post here, although I’ve been lurking here and picking up invaluable info that has tremendously helped me deal with being a SM. If I mess up on my acronyms, let me know. LOL Anyway, I met this great guy with—you guessed it—a KID. She was four when I met him and we’ve been together for three years.
I’ll call him my DH, although we’re not married but live together. Anyway, almost ten years ago, he lost his sight due to an accident, and BM whored around on him and left him with a baby shortly thereafter. He pretty much raised the little girl with help from his mom (who is a psycho, tried to kill herself several times—manipulative, self-centered, etc.), who stepped in every time he tried to later discipline this child. So, I come along and he’s now the father of a very spoiled four year old.
Wisely, he kept her at his mom’s house while we were dating (RED FLAG I DIDN’T SEE), and I—not having or wanting any children of my own—was rather naïve about the whole thing.
So, we move in together and he has primary custody of the kid and the next few years are all a real wakeup call for me how manipulative a SD4,5, 6, now 7 year old can be. Actually, I started getting smart at 6 when I found this site.
BM was all about fun with the guy she ran off with and only had SD one night a week and every other weekend. And usually on the weekends, she’d drop SD off at grandmas. She basically accepted no responsibility for the SD since DH’s mom stepped in every time and did everything.
Once the illusion of being the perfect SM wore off, I disengaged. Which was difficult to do after being so involved because it was a real shocker to both DH and SD. But I was tired of being taken advantage of and resented the fact that so much of my time was involved when BM was off running around doing whatever the hell she felt like doing.
I basically put all the responsibility of raising his kid (now SD7) on him, changed my phone number so BM couldn’t text or call me, told her I wasn’t interested in raising her kid for her, and ignored all of her arguments, demands and insults. She had a really hard time accepting the fact that I wasn’t “on board” and called me selfish. Ha!
Of course, SD’s behavioral issues show up in school, and it finally sinks into everyone’s head that I am not going to step up to the plate and spend hours with her on her homework every night. DH can’t do it because he’s blind. So, BM steps up and decides to be SuperMom, and they make a verbal agreement (until court next month to modify the CO) that she will have SD7 all week, and we alternate weekends. The responsibility has been a real wake-up call for her and her new hubby—as you can guess, their honeymoon is over. She sent me several resentful e-mails making demands on my time and I responded in a technical writing style that, according to Family Law, Statute ###, it is not my responsibility. Thanks again to StepTalk for helping me figure this stuff out!
Like I said, we’re in court next month as she’s going after primary custody (fine with DH and myself—he’s back in school and says it’s her turn to take care of SD for awhile), and she’s asking for child support. She never paid a penny when he had primary custody. Although he’s on disability, he doesn’t mind paying child support, but she doesn’t realize she isn’t going to get much because he’s on SS disability. She doesn’t realize either that the money she gets from him isn’t going to cover child care while he’s at work, health insurance (SD will lose her Medicare), and all the other expenses of raising a kid. I actually think she initiated all this before she realized that she couldn’t get a dime out of me. Another thing she may not realize is that she is going to have to be responsible for all the pickup/dropoff of SD7 since DH can’t drive. And I made sure to tell our attorney that I do not want to be mentioned on the new CO as a third party or any other way. I’m trying to think about parameter times on the CO so BM doesn’t just show up any damn time she feels like it—which will be early to drop off SD7 and late to pick up. I’m trying to think of anything important that needs to be in the new CO so we don’t have to go though more drama and back to court.
I’m fortunate that DH is very supportive of my position and in turn, I’m also very supportive of him going back to school and anything else he does.
But thanks everyone for helping me get my life back and giving me some knowledge of my legal and personal rights. Not to mention figuring out that I don’t have to feel guilty for not loving a child "like she was my own!"

Morticia's picture

Not sure how to do that...any ideas? MIL couldn't badmouth BM enough until I disengaged. Different story now--she badmouths me every chance she gets. Not that I care--like I said she's a psycho. Recently, DH found out his mom had been helping BM find an attorney that could rip him for CS. Uh, helping the ex wife find an attorney to rip your blind son for CS? WTF?!?! They're thick as thieves now.

moeilijk's picture

I guess a Right of First Refusal for DH - if BM can't look after SD for more than .... say 4 hours at a go .... she has to offer SD to DH first.

If DH can't / won't have SD, then if BM sends her to MIL's, to the neighbour's, hires a babysitter, or something similar, then I don't think the NCP can really do anything about it. Bad influences, unfortunately, abound. And without a lot of time spent with SD, not much can be done to minimize them.

Morticia's picture

Thanks for all the good advice. DH's Soc Sec pmts aren't much because he's not that old and hasn't worked that many years before he lost his sight. The majority of it is his survivor benefits from his dad who died of cancer about four years ago. I'll definitely bring up the CS BM never paid for seven years he took care of SD. Not only that, but since he had no "earned income" for six years, he didn't have to file his tax return. But BM filed with the IRS as having primary custody and she got the Child Care Tax Credit! He did have earned income last year and filed for the credit--BM called him furious cause she didn't get to it first! Wonder if there's any way she could get in trouble for that...?