You are here

Signed bio mom up for CS almost a year ago

stepparent111's picture
Forums: 

Literally, almost a year ago signed up bio mother up for support and she lives with her family member in another state and they have not even served her yet almost a year later. I don't get it. We call the local CS person at least every other month and in a nice way she says oh we are still wainting this and that for the other state to do something. How long can they take? I am also concerned becuase we might be losing our health insurance and I beleive that the total non custodial parent is the one who is supposed to provide health insurance at least DH always had to. He thinks it is sexism because he was paying right away for his child support and thinks that they are just sexist. I don't know what else to do to speed it up and can't beleive it

tog redux's picture

The courts don't hold NCP women accountable the way they hold NCP men accountable.  And it's not that the NCP has to pay for insurance, it's usually based on income, so she may be no help there.

Can you get an attorney in her state to handle it for you? Courts move faster when attorneys are involved. Sounds like money is tight, but it might be worth it, unless you know she has no job, in which case you won't get a penny from her.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

C.s. agencies get federal money based on how much c.s. they collect, so they prioritize going after the easiest cases - usually those who are in state with the ability to pay the most.

Your SO can try going to the agency in person or going up the chain of command to pester them into, you know, doing their BLEEPING job. I have a friend who, upon meeting the c.s. worker responsible for his case, told her pleasantly something like. "I'm so very glad to meet you in person, because we are going to be in VERY close contact until this is resolved. I'll be calling or stopping in to see you daily. " His support order magically resulted in a garnishment pretty quickly. (His ex soon quit her job for another, but a win is a win, right?)

At the end of the day, tog is right and your SO really is better off hiring an attorney to handle this for him.