You are here

More Child Support Review Advice if you are going soon

always in the dark's picture
Forums: 

Ok, I posted a topic regarding child support reviews previously. Talked with my (I mean BF attorney,,,, see how I take over..) today and he said yes you always want to go to the review process because if there is any possibility that the biomom can get more there is no reason to go to court, pay more money, more time, hiring attorneys, etc. So, go to review, take all documents they ask for but DO NOT agree to or sign ANYTHING that day. Explain that you want to run it by your attorney FIRST. Then do exactly that. You have that right. It will cost you far less to talk to him to see if the numbers are right than to have him there (which you can pay him to do). Get the name and phone number of the person you talk to in the review. Also, try to figure what biomom can LEGALLY get before you go so you have some idea what the numbers SHOULD look like. Also, idea number 2, as my (there I go again,,, BF attorney) said, if your attorney is familiar with the system (which many will be in your area and probably know the people up at the court house, review office, etc) you can always ask attorney to review your documents (w-2's, etc., health insurance premiums) and he can possibly handle the whole process on the phone and settle it without going to their office, having to argue with biomom or going to court. (THIS IS NOT A GUARANTEE, they may still insist you come in or settle in court, etc. but worth a try.) I am opting for option 2. Pay a small amount to keep us from having to take day off work, etc. etc. Just thought I would share with others that may be going soon... also FYI: I am in Texas and the breakdown is as follows:
20% for one kid, 25% for two, etc. If there are TWO households it differs... for instance he has one child with another biomom, two with the one taking him for more, so the numbers are then 22.5% for the two instead of 25%. You also subtract fed and state taxes (if you pay state taxes), health premiums for the kids before the court (if you pay them) from the total income before you take the 22.5%. I did alot of research online by just plugging in the search terms "Texas child support, Texas child support calculators, Texas child support laws" There is also a great website called FindLaw.com, go to "For Legal Professionals" tab up top, then to cases and codes, then scroll down about half way to your state. Click on your state, and pick from the area of law you are interested in. Family Law, etc. This will then take you throught the entire code (laws) for that state for that area of law. You may not understand all of the terminology but it will give you an idea. If you don't understand the verbiage, you can always do another search online for that topic as well, or talk with an attorney. AGAIN, this is just to assist you by giving you an idea of what the law is for your state. Hope this can help someone out.
Not so in the dark after all.