You are here

Marrying Dad Doesn't Equate to Legally Adopting Kid, Correct?

Triggerfishgal's picture
Forums: 

I am getting married in October. I was having a hard time finding it on the internet (probably using wrong search words), but I want to make sure that I am correct. I am marrying the man, but that does not equal legally being a step-mom, correct?? Not the usual conversational version of step-mom, but "you are legally the adoptive step-mom to this child" sense. Isn't that some sort of actual adoption process that the birth mother would be involved with? Thanks.

Triggerfishgal's picture

I thought so, but just wanted to make sure. I finally found something on the subject. Thanks!

purpledaisies's picture

no prob. Smile

jojo68's picture

oh no...that is whole different process all together...BM would have to give up parental rights and all that jazz I think.

Rags's picture

There is no "legal step mom" status and by marrying a person with children you do not adopt the child(ren). Once you marry a person with children you are a StepParent.

I have never heard the term "adoptive step-mom " before.

Adoption is a structured legal process that makes you the parent of that child with all of the rights, responsibilities and liabilities you would have if you were the bioparent to that child.

StepParents have no legal rights but are responsible for the wellbeing of the child when the child is with you. That does not mean you have a legacy reponsibility to that child if for some reason you marriage to the child's parent fails. Except in very limited extremely unusual circumstances a stepparent has no responsibility for a kid other than the wellbeing of a minor child when the child is with you.

If you legally adopt the kid .... that is a completely different situation.

All in my layman's opinion of course.

Congrats on your pending nuptials.

Best regards,