You are here

An interesting article this morning

Blue Moon's picture
Forums: 

Found in the Washington Post, a bill that would require shared custody by default:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/more-than-20-states-i...

ldvilen's picture

Hmm, the only time they mention the word step is in this context: ". . . family courts are out of step with modern families." Maybe the article itself is out of step with modern families too. Here's another interesting question. Do you think such a bill would mean more remarriages after the divorce (for either mom or dad) or less? And, do you think this would make it easier or not for step-parents? How about the kids?

I've had a couple of friends in this situation, 50/50 custody. Personally, the kids seem to hate it. They hate having to shuffle all of their crap back and forth every other week. Not judging. Just saying it seems to initially make it more complicated for them, but in the long run, maybe it'd be better? And, 50/50 would perhaps make PAS'ing less possible. Don't know. But, I'm guessing this bill would have far more implications or complications than anyone would think.

witch.hazel's picture

I think there are pros and cons to it. I knew about this last year because my state, Michigan was considering it- I don't know what ever happened. They put is aside and were coming back to it after summer break. I can't find anything on it since.

It does suck for kids to go back and forth. It also sucks for the kids to see one parent only every other weekend, as is currently the norm. It's not enough to maintain the relationship that was present when the family all lived together.

I do think that this law, at least in our state, has wording that makes it difficult and frightening for victims of domestic violence.

But at the same time, it eliminates the stupid fighting over the best interest factors. Often two loving and capable parents are in court forever trying to prove that each is better than the other. But this makes a lot of money for lawyers and other "experts". That's why I think it won't pass.

notasm3's picture

The one child I know very well who does this seems to love it. She goes to a private school, wears uniforms, and the transfers all take place at school. One parent drops her off Monday morning and the other picks her up that afternoon. They’ve been doing it about 10 years.

I know other children with 50/50 that also seem to be okay with it, but I don’t really see them that often.

Blue Moon's picture

My SO's DD17 has had 50/50 for about 5 years now, and last year she got understandably tired of switching every week, so she changed it to spending two weeks at a time at each paren't place.

They live nearby from each other and she uses public transit. It's going well for now.

nengooseus's picture

We're exploring 50-50 with the skids, but expect an uphill battle about it. We're in VA, which is still astoundingly pro-Mom in most things. The last time we tried to modify custody, we had a GAL assigned who didn't believe in shared custody, and made no bones about it. Not to the judge of course, but to our attorney, so we would love this kind of requirement.

That David Emery guy that they've quoted in the article is a real piece of work. His materials all promote the idea of EOWE only for the NCP as better for the kids, and that the NCP should just shut up and take it. I think that's BS. Frankly, I think that every custody decision should be uniquely considered based on the family, but I know that's unreasonable, too. It points to the idea that perhaps parents should act like grown-ups and come to a reasonable decision for the kids, but we all know that parents can't be expected to be reasonable.

The money piece of family court is a real thing. Hundreds of dollars an hour to denigrate your kid's other parent. The only winners are the lawyers. Everyone else--the kids included--just get screwed.

Rags's picture

An interesting article and ... it is about time that states start passing laws that get idiot judges under some semblance of control where kids and the relationship with fathers is concerned.

Though I have been married to the CP in our blended family adventure for 23+ years and counting and though the SpermIdiot in our situation is a waste of skin I can recognize that men generally get screwed in the custody/visitation/support world.

I for one believe that it is time for a primarily formulaic approach to custody with the parent most able to provide financial support for the child getting a significant custody advantage if there are no extenuating issues to indicate that the contra position should be taken. Ability to provide for a child is a key demonstration of parental responsibility. The parent most able to provide for the child demonstrates a superior ability to deliver the responsibilities of a parent.

Ceteris paribus of course.