You are here

Wow! I was right!

Redsonya's picture

Thanks to everyone who warned me not to get involved and provide primary health insurance for the skids. After receiving a medical insurance information request for a medical order from child support services, we told BM that this needed to be an amicable agreement to provide insurance and that we wanted to see all the paperwork she filed by 8 pm tonight.

She flat out refuses to send the contempt paperwork - I am sure she has stuff in there that initiated the child support services request which she agreed not to do. Then she sends us an electronic fill in form and says "this is what I filed see item P - it talks about the medical agreement we made". Item P was blank on the form she sent. When we point this out, she dissapears for 30 minutes and comes back with some crazy scanned copy of the pages with hand written writing in item P - after telling us that she didn't have copies of what she filed. She also still hadn't given us copies of the contempt paperwork and wouldn't. DH finally told her there was no benefit to me to provide insurance, just liability, and if she wanted to play games she could keep her insurance and the judge would order what his contribution to the premium would be. So then she goes nuts and says she'll file contempt of court - we remind her that the judge can't force me to provide insurance and we worded the agreement to state that I only have to provide it as long as I choose to. If I choose not to, her and DH would split her coverage premium or get an individual policy. Thats what needs to happen.

What I think is going on here is she cancelled her insurance for the kids at the end of the year, had planned to just quietly use mine, filed the contempt court paperwork, including a whole mess of erronous info on why we should pay the insurance, then that night agreed to the medical agreement, and thought that by the time we figured this out, the judge would order me to use my insurance (she can't get it in her head that I am not part of this case).

I feel relieved. It may cost us some more money, but can you imagine the hassle we'd have to go through if there was an emergency copay to collect from her on? Geez, all this and we haven't even had the medical cards issued yet.

forestfairy's picture

Nah, it won't cost you more in the long run. You can bet you'd be stuck with every single bill for every medical appt. they ever have. Kids get sick and get hurt. You'd be stuck paying them and then have to try to collect from her through the courts, which costs money in and of itself. You guys did the right thing. Do NOT get involved. It was very nice of you to extend the offer to begin with.