You are here

Why do they play up?

Sm24pen's picture

Hi all

wondering if this is normal. When I have my step kids they are good as silver (not perfect gold) but witching 5 mins of dad coming home they start to play up. Does anyone else have this issue. It’s not a problem for me but really annoys DH. 

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture

Becuase they can get away with it with him. Children will learn who they can do what with. In our home the little one is a really good kid. With BM he is a monster. The second he gets around BM he starts acting up becuase he knows he can do it. Teachers have noticed it, coaches have noticed it, everyone around the kid can see it.

lieutenant_dad's picture

This.

Also, my SSs know that DH won't tolerate them being pains for me and their punishment will be worse if they act up when he's not around. So, if I'm the only one around (they're teens now), they behave because they don't want to face DH's wrath. But, if he is around, they are more laid back because DH allows it with him.

Rags's picture

People treat others how to behave.  This is DH's fault. DH needs to apply his foot to the backsides of his kids.  They will change their behavior around him when he teaches them the behaviors that will be tolerated.