You are here

Where in my Skid is the limp Gazelle at the watering hole..

busyBhive's picture

I will admit one thing; I am a nurses kid so if it wasn't a ripped off arm we pretty much went to school. However my SD12 is displaying intense hypochondriac symptoms. Is this something with many Skids as a counterpoint to going between two homes?
SD12 has always beenf earful of being ill. So much so that when she was younger we kept a bag of vitamins labelled as "SD12's pain pills". We would dole these placebo's out instead of giving her real medication.
LATELY things have gone bad-worse. Every night I am asked to check for fever. Everynight there is stomach pains and the infamous "will I get sick?". Every night it's a battle for staying in bed just because she burped or tooted. She is always weak, everything causing her pain. "Will you pray that I won't get sick?" is the tag line before closing the door. At school, if a child is sick in her class she believes she too will catch the contagion. In the begining I could sooth or feel empathy, now it just annoys the crap out of me to see her at the top of stairs complaining yet again about something. I really resent this behaviour and am tired of her knocking on our door at night. Compounding the problem is BM and her constant sick days, migraines and inability to cope with lifes up and downs. Any suggestions as to what could be up or if other children have expressed this behaviour?

panda's picture

Without knowing your child or situation or anything else, the thing that stands out to me is the "Will you pray that I don't get sick?" What you wrote reminds me an awful lot of "my girl." I would think that a good physical exam and a talk with the doctor before, without her in the room would be a good idea. It could be stress, or something going on at school, or possibly someone she knows has been very ill and she is afraid too.

I just noticed what you said about BM and her constant migraine, sick days and inability to cope. One thing that I noticed when Demented was having her "issues" and was hospitalized was that SS always had a stomach ache or head ache or some other ache so he wouldn't eat. Maybe she picked up the behavior at the other house.

PS - I wouldn't give any more vitamins. maybe encourage her to talk out her stress instead of holding it in.