You are here

what about the tantrums?

starfish1012's picture

:jawdrop:

i'm dumbfounded by my SS4's out-of-nowhere tantrums. i've chalked it up to his confusing situation (removal from mother by CPS for child abuse, not seeing her for a year due to lock-up, and now once weekly supervised visitation), but it's now been almost 2 years since removal and though his behavior is leaps better--his tantrums get under my skin.

today it was because he wanted a poptart for dinner. i said "sure, after you eat real food" and he flipped. screamed like i was cutting him with razor blades. he knows i don't allow poptarts or sweets of any kind to count for dinner so what gives?

is this all kids? what is your advice with handling stuff like this?

butterfly2010's picture

let him have his tantrums, he needs to learn that no means no. while they are annoying, if u stick with it, he will eventually stop the tantrums, seeing they dont get him anywhere.

Rags's picture

When he freeks in to a tantrum pick him up, dump him on his bed leave the room and close the door. Let him out when he calms down.

I absolutely understand how aggrivating this is.

Best regards.

epgr's picture

attention is attention, it can be negative or positive, if you give him any sort of attention he will continue to do it... pick a spot and tell him to sit there and scream, call it the screaming chair, and walk away.. when he is done sreaming he can get out.
My bio daughter use to do that when she didnt get her own way.. I tried to deal with it and talk to her and reason with her for about a month.. then I got sick of it and got the screaming chair, you want to scream you sit in the chair, it was a little folding one that I would take with me everywhere I went, it took about 2 wks before she learned I was not kidding and I was not going to pay attention and give in, or even talk about it..
It also worked when I met DH, his kids were 2 and 3 at the time.. and oh my goodness were they wild, no rules, no bounderies at all.. they would write on the walls, tv, table whatever they wanted with a sharpie and have no consequences at all, they would break stuff, run outside in the middle of the night.. seriously they acted like wild animals, I told DH that even though he didnt get them much htey still needed to act like humans.. so we did the chair..nothing cures a kid of tantrums like no attention for them and sheer boredom, cuz he will eventually get bored with it cuz he is getting no attention...