You are here

Holiday Distribution for Week-On/Week Off???

starfish1012's picture

We are considering changing parenting time to week-on/week-off. We did do this once before (over a year ago). No matter the parenting time the Court settles on, BM argues incessantly about holidays, even if the Court has stated to follow the Parenting Time Guidelines (State of IN). We have tried getting ahead of things by agreeing on the holiday distribution months in advance, but a few days before, BM still makes a big fuss and attempts to ruin the plan and everyone’s day.

I was wondering what others have done to arrange holidays while doing week-on/week-off parenting time?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

WalkOnBy's picture

When Asshat and I were one week on, one week off, we only concerned ourselves with the Christmas break and divided it into two parts. We alternated years. In the event that it resulted in one parent having three weeks in a row, we swapped out a week so that each parent would have two weeks in a row.

We didn't worry about Thanksgiving or Easter or any of the other holidays. Whoever had the kids that week got the holiday.

WalkOnBy's picture

Yep - my family does Christmas Eve so I always had them from the start of the school break (which was always a Friday) until 9pm on Christmas Eve and he would have them from that time until school started back.

I loved not fighting over who got Memorial Day (who cares, really) and who got 4th of July and all that stupid stuff.

misSTEP's picture

That's the way my DH's CO addressed Xmas. Although theirs alternated who got Eve vs Day each year. Exchange was at 10 a.m. on Xmas Day.

It sucked for me as a SM, though. I could never spend Xmas with my parents who lived hours away. Either we had to be back in town early on Xmas Day so we'd have to get up WAYYY early to travel OR we would have to be in town to pick them UP on Xmas morning.

Raggles's picture

No court order. Holidays are done amicably!! Haha yeah right only if BM gets her own way everytime. Xmas is a nightmare. Sd8 has alternate years christmas eve and day then hand back boxing day. Whomever had xmas day gets ny eve and day!

Poor kid doeesnt know if coming or going as changes houses every 2-3days every single holiday.
Older skids only spend time with BM on alternate xmas day/boxung day and never over night.

As for summer hols next year will be the firat time in 4 years that sd 8 has 2 wk block followed by 2 wk block with other parent then week on week off
Yiphee - finally SO will only see BM 3 times in that 6 wk break instead of 3-4 times each wk!!

notsobad's picture

I love this!

Let her have them on the actual day. For Xmas, go do all the fun things, drive around looking at lights, shop for decorations, see Santa. Valentines, make cards, buy chocolate. Halloween, go pick out candy, carve pumpkins, July 4th same thing, get all the enjoyment of preparing for the day. The skids will start asking to be with you because they see all the prep but none of the actual enjoyment of the day!

Then go do amazing fun adult things on the day! Post all over FB and tell friends how great it is to be kid free and able to come and go as you wish!
It won't be long before BM is thinking that the grass is greener on the other side!

Cover1W's picture

Ours is great, parents agreed to this last year and it works great.
BM has them Thanksgiving week/weekend.
We have them Xmas week/weekend.
BM usually has them New Year's but likely SD11 will want to be with us sometimes as she gets older and is making more friends in our area...oh well.