You are here

What is the “normal” age for kids to start doing these things

Tinaanne43's picture

Yes I know each kid is different BUT there must be some general age that all kids should be doing certain things. Like most kids walk between 1 and 2 yrs or are potty trained by 3 or 4. My bios are under 5 so I don’t have any experience with older kids. That being said I would like to hear from others about certain things.

1. What age should a child be able to tie their shoes well without any help?

2. What age should a child do their homework with out s huge fight or a parent having to sit right with them walking them through every step? Yes I know even teens may need help or reminding SOMETIME but I’m talking about  every time for every little thing. 

3. What age do kids start caring about Appearances/Cleanliness? Meaning taking showers without a scream out fight every time and more than once a week? Brushing teeth without a fight? Again im not talking about a “gross” step child behavior  but I’m asking about a “normal” kid behavior? 

Survivingstephell's picture

1. First grade, alot depends on finger dexterity

2. Make a routine, no electronics or whatever carrot works,  snacks first though.  

3. Puberty most the time.  Routine and expectations are huge for cleanliness.  

Acutally routine and expectations and celebrating being a big kid as a worthy goal are huge.  Not encouraging them to grow up hinders them.  

ITB2012's picture

1. With DS it was first grade and he was a sloooowwww learner with the shoes. No idea about the skids as I didn't know them then.

2. Depends on the kid. DS was no problem all along except when he doesn't like a class. YSS basically sat there expecting you to point to the answer if he asked, so it was up and down with how much he manipulated homework. OSS was a totally different ballgame. BM got him diagnosed with ADD (never seen a kid with less ADD than this one) and gave him a pass on everything so homework was a complete circus every time. Took until HS for him to get his act together and the teachers in grade school telling BM to stop rescuing the skids (she used to drop off anything they forgot in the teacher's mailbox, like they didn't know it was her and thought the kid just handed it in there?).

3. In my experience it's 50/50 - half whether the parents care and half whether the kid cares. With DS it was all made a habit from early, early on (like I started brushing his teeth as soon as he cut them). He got used to it and has always been very good about hygiene. DS also has two parents who are neat, tidy people. The skids, well, unless they are reminded and monitored they do not perform any hygiene task unless perhaps YSS is super sweaty from a sports practice/game. And for them no one made it a habit. DH has no follow-through and he didn't like me reminding them because it made them feel bad. BM and DH are much more okay with mess and clutter. It may correlate.

ndc's picture

1.  5 or 6.  My SD was barely 5 and in pre-K

2.  7 or 8.  

3.  Cares about hygiene?  Varies greatly, but probably 11-13.  Doesn't fight and fuss about showering and brushing teeth?   4-6