You are here

Depression or something more???

Essential-workerstep's picture

I never had any Children of my own so not sure what “normal” is but I’m sure SS12 is NOT. I’ve known SS12 since he was 5yrs old. He has ALWAYS been Oversensitive, immature with Explosive Bratty behavior. 

SS has NOT grown out of these Behaviors but developed new ones also. SS seems “moody” and “Tired” with little interest in doing things he use to like to do. He basically just wants to play video games. SS will have crying meltdowns over little things that ARE NOT Age Appropriate. It’s like walking on eggshells as you never know what will set him off onto a screaming swearing temper Tantrum. SS can be Violent. Hitting or breaking things when pissed off. SS was never a good sleeper and would have to take Melatonin every night to fall asleep with NO noise whatsoever.  

Never had any real friends till middle school and even know it’s just kids he will hang out at school and nothing else. 

Getting SS to do basic things is a fight. DH tried to teach SS how to tie his shoes and SS refused so DH gave up. Now we have a SS12 who can’t tie his shoes. SS12 still requires DH to “put him to bed” or he refuses to go. 

Yes SS has been Evaluated by both a psychiatrist and psychologist and been Diagnosed with ADHD and Social mood issues. SS has been under the care of these Professionals for the last five years. I don’t see much change in him but maybe SS would be a Psychopath without them. 

Opinions? 

justmakingthebest's picture

That is totally being a 6th grader! I swear I have talked to more mom's of boys- my BS did this too- it was like for 6 months, the hormones hit and he was acting like a teenage girl and not a boy! (I know how sexist that sounds but that is the only way I could describe it).

It ended and he went back to normal just about 3 inches taller, hairier and with a deeper voice LOL

ETA- This is only about the moody, tired and crying. The rest of it are from poor parenting or other disorders. 

Well in my case more like a 6 yr old girl. SS12 in the last year or so developed this god Awful ear Piercing squealing when he’s Excited. Sounds like someone Stepping on a pig. I’ve mentioned it to DH and all he says is “that’s just who SS is”. It’s like nails on the Chalkboard. Our two cats will hiss and run whenever they see SS because of the God awful noise he makes. I can’t WAIT for SS’s voice to change as maybe that will help. 

Then add NO ONE ever Taught SS What an indoor voice is. He has one tone LOUD. One would think SS has a hearing problem since he’s ALWAYS so loud but no. SS is Hyper sensitive to any noise NOT produced by him. 

ITB2012's picture

My happy-go-lucky eleven year old boy turned into a moody, petulant sixteen year old girl on the rag. It was brutal. Luckily it didn't last very long (couple of months). But you do start to wonder about anxiety, depression, bullying, psychoses, etc.

I was convinced of bullying too! I thought, that is the only reason that my sweet son has turned into a lunatic! LOL

Just hormones. Alllllllll the hormones. 

Thefatherismyfamily's picture

SS12 is only just starting to grow out of that stage. Just a few months ago he threw a fit at a public event and DH had to take him to the bathroom three times because he couldn't walk the 12 feet needed to get to the single stall bathroom and DH had to buy him a snack twice to shut him up as if he was a two year old. He also just recently was crying and whining while we were out and about. He also super skinny and puny looking and he has no friends whatsoever and plays video games all day and sits there and swears and cries when he loses.

Ok next question...How long with this NORMALLY last??? The crying, Temper tantrum’s, piss poor Moody F U Attitude????

SS will be 13 next week and there is NO sign of this getting better! What age Typically do boys become Interested in girls?? Hoping once this happens SS will “grow up” and act his age as NO girl would be interested in him now with his baby inMature attitude

I recommend starting a new blog. This one will get lost.

As for how long it will last- for us it was a few months. Within 6 months he was back to normal and totally fine. 

Your SS has a lot going on, being interested in girls (or boys) will come when he is ready. My son was a bit of a late bloomer for that. He really kicked up his attention in 8th grade. I think part of it was he was self conscious and didn't think girls would like him back. 

My SS is 20 but has a whole pile of issues (Autism, ADHD, Bipolar, Anxiety Disorder). He is totally asexual. We were watching Westworld the other night and he came in and sat in the living room. Boobies were on the screen, DH nudge me and I looked at SS who looked disgusted and said "Why do they have to show that. Geeezzzz" and got up and left! Any other 20 yr old would have been like- OOOHHHH Boobies!! LOL 

Even my gay friends will look at boobs. They are fascinated by them! 

SS however won't hug people, he doesn't like to sit too close, he really hates to have to talk to anyone. He is just fine being on his own little world. 

I will start a new post soon. I had to laugh about your SS20. SS12 if funny with that stuff also. NOT that we let him at his age watch shows with Naked ladies lol. There has been a FEW mild R rated movies that DH and I watched that were rated R for swearing or monster Violence that we thought SS would be ok watching with us. Well SS Flipped out when he saw it was rated R and refused to watch it even after we explained there was no Nudity just swearing and scary stuff. After that one time SS ALWAYS asks what a movie is rated before he agrees to watch it! So funny to me as I would have LOVED watching a R rated scary movie as a young teen