You are here

Treating kids with equity, is it really possible?

Husband's wife's picture

Hello to everyone, I am new here and coming with this question in my mind. With my DH we have BD2 and my husband has a son from previous relationship (it is his first marriage with me), the kid is 7.

I have an executive job and bring home three times what my DH does. The BM earns half of what my DH earns. He pays CS to her while the kid lives with my DH’s parents.

We split our budget: each one of us pay half of the rent + utilities and grocery shopping. He also provides half of expenses for BD (kindergarten, babysitter, clothes, gifts etc.)

During Christmas, bday and others my DH’s son receives a lot of presents, coming from a big family from DH's side, something around 10-15 gifts in total. He also has one gift from my DH and one from BM. I am against such amount of gifts because I think (and I now see) that the kids do not the sens of value.

My BD has one present from both us parents for each event. For the big family I suggested, if they want to spend money on my daughter, to send money to my BD’s account that I will later use for her studies or other important things. It was a huge fight, as MIL thinks that children should be spoiled by the gifts, otherwise they will not enjoy their childhood. So, they do not want to send money and I do not want to raise a spoiled kid so I prefer not to have anything. I also suggest to have separate Christmas, for example the DH’s kid on one day and our family on the following. In this case my daughter will not see the mountain of gifts for the other kid and will not be jealous. The discussion on that with my DH is ongoing, as he does not see an issue with having lots of gifts, but I do.

Another fight is family vacations. My husband’s son is already going on 2 vacations per year : one with BM, one with my MIL and FIL. My daughter is going on 1 trip, with me and my DH only. This trip is usually more expensive, as my budget is much higher. Now on my trips I usually send BD to the baby club and enjoy time with my DH and this is also why the trip is more expensive.

Now my MIL tries to force us to take my DH’s son with us and I do not see here equity. In this case my daughter should also go with my DH’s son's BM and MIL.

Plus of course, my daughter will go to private schools and good universities, I am saving for it and can afford it. I cannot (and do not want to) afford the same treatment for the other kid. The other kid has his mum and dad and he has to live according to their financial status, not mine. At least, this is my view.

And finally, our house is much better than the IL’s and BM’s, so the DH’s kid is also getting jealous because of that.

Now my question is, as we cannot provide any equity without taking my money to compensate for the kid’s parents finances, maybe it is better for DH to visit his kid without involving us at all, so no one would be jealous of anything? The kid already has his family with the ILs, and this since a long time. He lives with them and is used to their ways, I have mine.  What do you think?

juststressedbeyondbelief's picture

First, I'm wondering if I read it correctly. Your daughter, who is 2, lives with you, but your husbands son, who is 5, lives with your husbands parents? What's the reasoning there? If your concern was equity, no, your daughter gets to live there full time and he doesn't.

There will never be equity, and it's not your fault. Your daughter is not your stepson. It appears that you split your finances well. As long as your cordial to your stepson, and your husband isn't argumentative about it, everything will be ok, probably.

If you send your daughter off to private school, and your husband is up in arms, when you're paying, it probably won't end well. Although since your husband is willing to live away from his son already, being the custodial parents, who knows?

Husband's wife's picture

His son is living with ILs (he is 7, not 5), and this way before we met. In fact, since he was born (first grandkid), they left him with the ILs because of the working schedules. My DH at that time needed to leave house around 5 AM and the BM very early too, so they didn't want to wake the kid up so early and they left him with the ILs but came visit him every evening after work.

Officially custodial parent is BM but she doesn't pick the kid back, just the CS.

That's a really weird one.

I know there are a lot of people here that will tell you that you have to do everything for your stepson as you would your daughter, or it will create resentment between them.

I feel it's just not possible.  You're well within your rights to do as you please with your daughter I feel, as you're a professional using your own money. I can't argue with that at all. My own wife recently tried to pay for her family court lawyers through our joint account, and I made her use the college savings she had for the child to keep it fair. The converse should be fair as well.

Husband's wife's picture

I do not really feel that I have to do everything for them not to have a resentment. I do not even think that I should somehow encourage a relationship between them. My DH's son is following totally different rules that my daughter does and even without financial differences, there is not much in commun between the two kids. So in my opinion, and also to avoid resentment, it is better for them to live with their respective families, without real connection. The boy is happy where he is, my daughter is happy here too. I do not see why we should force some interactions, to be honest.

SteppedOut's picture

Does your husband still need to leave super early... and the child is now older...

I mean, does your husband not want his child to live with him? 

I don't mean to judge...but why are the IL carimg for this child and not one of the parents? I guess I would have a hard time respecting a "man" that dumped his kid for his parents to raise. 

To each their own.

tog redux's picture

There's no equity in life, period. 

Both kids can hear that it's different for them because they have different mothers with different jobs/values, etc and that's that. 

They will survive. 

Husband's wife's picture

Why two kids that have completely different lives should be forced to interact somehow? And how to explain to ILs that I want separate Christmas for the two kids (have my DD visiting the grandparents when the other kid is with his BM) and do not want this boy on vacation with us?

I am positive for my husband to attend both Christmas, the boy is his son after all. And if he does not see a problem in spoiling the kid, he has all rights. But I do not want my daughter cry because other kid has a pile of gifts while she has only one and some candy.

tog redux's picture

Because they are siblings. You may not need or want that bond, but they have the same father, which makes them siblings. It's not right to keep your kid from a sibling that you knew existed before you brought said kid into the world. 

shamds's picture

He kids with ex are all living in and from malaysia. I am australian, my 2 kids with hubby are aussie citizens and will start kindergarten in australia all the way to university hopefully. 

My kids will be in a better financial position. Schooling is basically free in my country, except level of education way more advanced than malaysia. 

If skids chuck a hissyfit about equity, all i can suggest is they wished bio mum was Caucasian from a western country and capable of handling her finances and work towards supporting her kids through university but she isn’t capable of this.

that isn’t my fault.. i see the day skids claiming favoritism and being jealous of my kids but they have never taken initiative to do things on their own and take responsibility. They have lived through life guilting others

shellpell's picture

My situation is similar - I have two kids with DH and SS11 lives one province over. He is being raised very differently than my two - gets all of his material desires, runs his mother's house, gets spoiled to no end by in-laws, different diet, and is even being raised in a different religion than my two are. He has shown himself to be jealous and aggressive to my toddler, so now I keep them apart as much as possible to keep my two safe. I do not play happy family. DH understands. He doesn't like the way his son is being raised by BM but there's little he can do. We have agreed not to encourage OR discourage a relationship. We do not pretend everyone is one big happy family. I do no understand how some posters on here think that half-sibling relationships are the most important relationship. I want to keep skid's influence away from my kids. I don't want them to think it's ok getting 10-15 gifts at Christmas, Easter, birthdays. That it's ok to be glued to a screen. Unfortunately, skid is here on long weekends, holidays, summer. I am counting down til visitation is over. It really interferes with your parenting with a child who's being parented much differently is in your home regularly. 

In-laws can't tell you to take skid on vacation, although I think it's odd that he doesn't live with one or both of his parents. Is there more to the story there?

ETA: You have zero responsibility to financially "make things equitable" for skid. 

bananaseedo's picture

"For the big family I suggested, if they want to spend money on my daughter, to send money to my BD’s account that I will later use for her studies or other important things. It was a huge fight, as MIL thinks that children should be spoiled by the gifts, otherwise they will not enjoy their childhood. So, they do not want to send money and I do not want to raise a spoiled kid so I prefer not to have anything. I also suggest to have separate Christmas, for example the DH’s kid on one day and our family on the following. In this case my daughter will not see the mountain of gifts for the other kid and will not be jealous. The discussion on that with my DH is ongoing, as he does not see an issue with having lots of gifts, but I do."

HOLY selfish batman.....you are a peach or this is a troll post>

First of all- if I had a beeeoch controlling ahole for a DIL as yourself I would wonder what the hell I did wrong to raise a boy that would marry someone like you.  How dare you think you can control if the grandparents get your DD a darn present?  That is what most of us lives our lives hating parenthood- to enjoy being a grandparent lol.  For you to try and take that from a grandparent is incredibly obtuse, entitled, selfish and arrogant.  You can't dictate what others want to gives as GIFTS and it what form it should be because you pushed her out of your vagina.  That's about as rude as doing a 'cash gift' only on your wedding invitation.  You are incredibly selfish and entitled.

NO, it's NOT ok to ask for seperate Christmas's to avoid jealousy-let your daughter receives gifts her family wants to give to her...if it's too much (and she's young) set them aside and later donate a few.  If you want cash for your DD's school account that's on you- grandparents have NO obligation to provide for her education, you do.  What your beliefs on presents is YOUR belief and you apply to yourself and your own family, you don't get to dictate what others do.

Will your DD's financial place be different then SS? Yes, and that 'inequality' is ok- different mothers/parent duo...but to try and marginalize and keep apart the kids because of this is wrong. Also...why the heck is your spineless DH sending BM money while HIS parents raise SS? If that's their agreement, fine-but he should petition the courts to change custody and assign them as guardians and give them financial help for the boy. He obviously can prove the kid is living there.

flmomma08's picture

The only thing I agree with you about is that the kids will have different things because they have different mothers. That's life. It's the same with us - I make good money in a professional job and BM can't hold any job to save her life. I am saving for my BD's college but SD's education will be on her or her parents.

Not sure why you would try so hard to make it so your daughter can't have a relationship with her sibling. My daughter adores my SD and even though there are many things about SD and our whole situation in general I don't like or agree with, I would never discourage their sibling relationship. And separate Christmases??? I'm sure your daughter is going to WANT to spend holidays with her SIBLING.

Why do you not want your SS to go on vacation with you? And why is he not living with his father? The work schedule thing seems off to me. My DH has always had to leave for work around 4am. He used to drop her off with my MIL and she would get her on/off the bus, then DH would pick her up after work. She didn't LIVE there. Seems like there is way more to this story.

Cbarton12's picture

I agree for the most part. It's impossible to have equity between them. Even if they were full siblings it would be hard due to interests and strengths of the child. And ultimately in your case, the children have different moms with different economic statuses. So dont feel bad that you can give your DD more. 

And I understand that it is frustrating that your inlaws maybe overdo it with gifts. But you will hurt your marriage and hurt your child if you try to isolate your DD from part of her family. 

Exjuliemccoy's picture

What a convoluted, loosey-goosey arrangement your H has. He pays cs to BM, but it's his parents who are raising their child for both of them? Why?? And you married into this, had another child with him, and are now trying to parent successfully while navigating this dysfunction. Yikes.

Your H really should have cleaned up his messes before seeking to marry you. And you should have realized that his child from a previous relationship matters, and will continue to have an effect on your marriage. You seemed determined to keep things compartmentalized, but your H has obligations that will continue to bring his two worlds together so you'd best be prepared for it.

I applaud you for applying logic and advocating for your daughter, but you come across as rather controlling and a bit tone deaf. You can't control other people, and it's quite rude to dictate that the people who want to love your daughter only give cash. Your child isn't a possession; she has two parents, a brother, and is part of a family.  If it's the custom of your in-laws to spoil children, then by all means work with your H to find ways to manage the issue and parent these siblings effectively (I have a friend who let's her daughter open a few gifts on receipt, and doles the rest out as a reward throughout the year). Seek to change the culture if you like, but don't alienate your H's people. For better or worse, they are your daughter's people, too.

Your "my way or the highway" stance will only take you so far in step life. Much of what happens in step life is beyond our control; the current situation can change at any time, and is very likely to. What happens when your SS wants to live with his father, or MIL and FIL get tired of raising SS for free? Your stepson is already noticing the disparity between households, and this does not bode well as it will affect his feelings of self worth to know that his father doesn't love him enough to want him with him. Winter is coming. Resentment is growing, and this dysfunctional dynamic is going to produce a very damaged SS.

lieutenant_dad's picture

Did it ever occur to you that your DH may want to spend Christmas, vacations, and other holidays with BOTH of his kids? And that he May want his kids to have a relationship like the siblings they are?

Your DH and his family value big Christmases with lots of gifts. They value multiple vacations for their grands. They value things differently than you do. That doesn't make them wrong, just different.

No, equality will never be a thing between your DD and SS. However, don't prevent your daughter from having a strong relationship with her paternal family, including her brother, just because you disagree about presents. The time to decide whether or not that was a deal breaker in regards to child rearing and family relations was BEFORE you had a kid, not after.

It's really messed up, steplife. The more I read the comments, the more I'm obliged to hire a lawyer, do what I need to do to ensure full custody of my daughter, and run for the hills. It seems sometimes as if the outlook on step life is grim and dire, unless you follow a very thinly veiled set of rules set by... well - no one. You must be submissive to all events, and not only are you not entitled to raise the stepchild, but you aren't even entitled to raise your own child to hold your values either.

Really scary. Honestly, your daughter is your daughter, barring anything that would cause concern to CPS - abuse, neglect, etc, it's your child, and you can do what you feel is best. You seem like an extremely strong woman, your daughter will almost certainly be a reflection of you. Your husband has this weird custody agreement with the biomother, so I'm assuming that he's a pushover. You can probably do as you please, if you put your foot down. If you want to separate the siblings, it's your choice, as it's not enforcable by law. Whether or not it's good for them is subjective at best. I don't want you to feel I'm advocating for alienation, but I'd like to advocate for your right to choose what's best for your progeny.

Best of luck.

Husband's wife's picture

Guys, the boy’s life was scheduled like that before me. His parents decided it this way and later on the BM started to bring many men to introduce to the kid, so ILs didn’t want her to take him back. In addition, they are attached to him and are living like with their last, late child.

I personally raised the question about CS and was suggesting DH to pay his parents. He is afraid to take CS from BM because she could take her son back. She is not an alcoholic or anything like that, she works and has a small real estate property on her own. 

Now in the beginning, when I met my husband and the boy was 3, I proposed to him to request custody and I would adopt the kid, having not only duties but also some rights. DH did not want to separate the kid from ILs, they were already attached to him a lot. And the kid was attached to them, not to his BP, which is understandable. 

Now the kid is older and has completely different education from what I see as being a decent one. As someone stated above, glued to the screen, eating chips and other unhealthy things, gifts etc etc . I would never raise a child this way.

Now if the situation changes and the kid would want to live with his dad and my DH accepts it, I will divorce and my husband knows it. 

After all, I think the kid living with IL is not the worst situation. Would it be better to live with a stepmom or stepdad that reject him ? I do not think so. And I do not believe in big happy blended families, as we can see from this forum. I think it is sad for the kid but far from being the worse. 

flmomma08's picture

I get that you have no say or control over the custody arrangement he made before you were even around. My DH is currently letting SD live with BM and I KNOW its a horrible decision but its not my call. So I get that.

But yikes. You will divorce your husband if his OTHER CHILD ever comes to live with him? Custody arrangements are subject to change at any time - most stepparents have been through it at least once. And in my opinion, the child should be living with his parents unless the parents are unable to care for the child for some reason which does not sound like is the case here.

Husband's wife's picture

I suggested an acceptable way to my DH. He has custody, I legally adopt the child and I raise him with all responsibility that comes with that. 

He didn’t want it, fine. But I am not going to pay for someone else’s messy education. I am not a punching ball. 

But don’t get me wrong. My husband pays CS and visits the boy EOW, i am fine with that, this is what I signed for and explained all of that before the “I do”. 

It is his responsibility and I respect him for holding to it. The kid in my house is not my responsibility, it will affect my life and my dauther’s life and no way I am letting it happen. DH has to take care of his kids and he does it. 

Now if he wants to sacrifice his life to the boy, i would wish him the best of luck and run for the hills with my baby girl. 

lieutenant_dad's picture

1.) You wouldn't have been able to legally adopt your SS unless BM agreed to signing over her rights. Given that BM hasn't done that, and your DH worries that stopping CS would make her take back his son, I highly doubt she would have signed them over anyway. Plus, your DH would have had to gained custody, which would have been a bear to begin with.

2.) Your SS and your ILs are your daughter's family. She's in their mess whether you want her to be or not.

3.) If you divorce, you can't just take your kid and run off. Well, you can, but ripping your daughter away from a father who loves her because life didn't happen how you wanted isn't exactly "healthy". It's a great way to damage your daughter, not protect her.

flmomma08's picture

Unless the BM signs away her rights, you won't be able to adopt the child and I doubt she would do that since that would put an end to her CS.

I don't think you should pay for his education - that is his bio parent's responsibility. I am not planning to pay for my SD's education either.

Did something happen with this kid in the past? Why are you so worried about your daughter being around him?

Husband's wife's picture

He is just very different. He would stare at the tablet or TV for the whole day. It he would destroy his toys, by hitting them against the floor. He is also noisy, screaming all the time. He doesn’t eat vegetables, always asking for chips or processed food and I do not have (and will not have) that at home. 

My daughter tend to copy him while he is around and I do not want this example. 

In my house we have vegetables and fruits for dessert, we practice sport 3 times a week, work a lot, walk a lot, almost never watch TV and not offer too many gifts to our daughter.

This is why I do not want this boy around, he is very different and I do not have a right to change his education. 

flmomma08's picture

Honestly, that all sounds like normal kid stuff to me. They are being raised in different households - they are going to have those differences. My SD wants to eat junk food and play on her phone all day too. I don't want my BD doing those things but that is nowhere near a good enough reason to prevent her from spending time with her sister. I'm sorry this is just absurd to me.

Leilene's picture

She deserves to map out her life, home, and the quality of her lifestyle as she pleases without the encompassing burden of a stepchild. She shouldn’t have to forfeit all of her requirements and priorities for the home just because her husband made a child with an incompetent life partner.

Husband's wife's picture

Someone said that the IL have a right to do what they want with their grandkids. Hell no, I strongly disagree. If I would allow my IL do as they pleased, my daughter would eat unhealthy food, watch TV all  day long or stare at the tablet. This is a big no. 

As a parent I am responsible for health and education of my child and I will not allow anyone to do unhealthy things to my kid.

Now the boy’s BM is ok with IL’s ways, she is in fact overeating and staring at social medias herself. So they found their happiness, who am I to intervene and try to change their ways ? 

My ways are different and I also have a right to care for my child as I think is best for her. 

lieutenant_dad's picture

But your DH also has a right to care for his child as he sees fit, which may include the occasional spoiling on holidays, or having both of his kids be together on vacation.

If your DH is 100% on board with you on how your daughter is raised, then no worries. But he's not, so you're going to have to come up with a compromise. The "my way or the highway" approach will lead to divorce, and then you'll lose all control on your DH's custody time - up to and including him dumping your kid with his parents to spoil on a biweekly basis.

I would worry less about equity and more about compromise that gets you both mostly what you want.

Husband's wife's picture

He is in fact in agreement with my ways. But he cannot do much for the boy’s education. He left the kid with the ILs and doesn’t feel like he is allowed to tell them what to do. In addition, the BM is doing exactly the same thing: overeating and staring at screens. 

So there is not much to do for him, except to have custody and drastically change kid’s education. He doesn’t want custody, because the ILs and the kid have a very strong bond. ILs love the boy and my DH says it will be cruel to separate them and I understand.

At the same time my DH is happy that he is finally able to raise a kid with his values. When he was with BM he would punish the boy and she would do the opposite, not letting him have a dad’s place. 

lieutenant_dad's picture

But you're not in agreement. You say so in your OP. Your thought is to completely remove your DD from her family at holidays to not insight jealousy and possibly spoiled behavior, whereas your DH doesn't think that is necessary or that gifts are bad.

You're going too extreme. Why not teach your daughter that she and her brother will live a different lifestyle and her paternal family has values different from your own? What your proposing is indoctrination where only YOUR view and YOUR values are important, and not the values from the paternal side.

There are other ways to mitigate the Christmas issue. Let DD open all her gifts with her sibling and cousins, then take them home and rotate the gifts she has access to. Or make her pick her 3 favorites and ask her to donate the rest. Or have her donate her old toys and only keep the new. Cutting her off from that side of the family over presents is stupid.

What you're proposing overall is for your DH to live two separate lives with two separate families and not allowing him to intermingle his children, or experience anything with both of his kids as a family. That is detrimental. That sends a clear message to your daughter that she is "better bred" than her sibling and of a higher stature than her paternal family. THAT will create an entitled child which is far harder to correct than a spoiled one.

bananaseedo's picture

oh my lord- I knew people like you existed-they just didn't openly admit to it.  You are a scary human being.  Life has a way of humbling us...you could lose custody to your DH - your DH's parents coudl fall ill and he has to take his kid.  They could say they are done raising and want dad to take over...great so you divorce (you obviously have no idea of the significance of wedding vows or what a marriage partnership entails). Your DD then gets to spend time with dad with her brother and the in-laws spoiling her and you lost all control.  Wouldn't that show you!!  You wouldn't be there to monitor or control how your dh parents, how the siblings interact, etc...given that you make 3 times- even if your dh doesn't get custody and is the NCP it IS possible you could still have to pay him.....pay him to supervise his kid as he sees fit during his time.  So careful throwing the divorce card around as a threat to your dh if he takes custody...you'll likely find it backfires on ya!

"He doesn’t want custody, because the ILs and the kid have a very strong bond. ILs love the boy and my DH says it will be cruel to separate them and I understand"

He doesn't want custody because you would divorce him and if you're bringing in some decent bacon that's a pretty good incentive.  I cannot imagine ANY man (or woman) to be accepting of the harsh/unbending/selfish expectations and ideas you bring to a marriage. Certainly not a happy person-maybe a beaten down person would accept it -just like beaten down woman take abuse.  I find your approach quite cruel and beyond narcissistic.  You ARE the GUBM we all dread.

Husband's wife's picture

But he didn’t want custody even before I came into the picture. They decided what they decided and I signed for that situation. 

Again, don’t get me wrong. I would never suggest my husband to abandon his kid. I just do not want to live with this kid and this is also my right for Christ’s sake.

He has a mom after all, why SHE cannot take him if the ILs are tired from raising him?

Why MY life should suddenly change and not hers? 

flmomma08's picture

He is abandoning his kid though by having his parents raise him when there is no legitimate reason he cannot do so himself...

BM isn't off the hook, she is just as guilty as dad. They both failed that poor boy.

lieutenant_dad's picture

Because you married a man who already had a kid who has equal responsibility to his child. If BM doesn't want it, it will fall on Dad. If neither want it, they're crap parents who will be paying CS to the state to put the kid in foster care.

If you want 100% control of your life, don't add variables. If you add variables, add ones with limited baggage. You not only chose a variable with baggage, but with such unusual baggage that IF it ever came into play that it would create chaos for you. Thems the breaks, kid. Welcome to steplife.

Husband's wife's picture

In a sence that I can always walk away. Marriage does not equal prison and no one can force me to live with the kid that is not mine. In fact, as you say, no one can even force the bio parents to do that. 

Before I posted I was reading this forum for 2 weeks and I honestly do not think that living with stepkids is a good thing for anyone from the equation. 

flmomma08's picture

Living with stepkids is hard, no one is going to tell you its not. But that is his CHILD and he is his responsibility.

If you divorce him, he is going to get some custody of your daughter as long as he wants it and isn't some kind of violent criminal. Then you are going to lose a lot of this control AND guess what - your daughter might end up being someone's stepkid. It's a lot to think about.

Husband's wife's picture

At least from my side, she will never become a stepkid to anyone.

I honestly believe that if one already has a kid, this person should not ruin the kid’s and other people’s lives. And this is it all about, the blended family. Making someone miserable. It could be the kid, or the new partner, or the parent. I never ever seen situation where everyone was happy. Ever.

If I am coming to divorce, believe me, no man will ever share my household. Could eventually date, but introduce anyone to my child, no thank you.

Cbarton12's picture

How naive are you? If you divorce, you really think you're never going to remarry? Or that a man you date is going to stick around even when you don't share your life with him? 

And let's suppose that happens, your DH will likely remarry so yes your DD will be a skid. 

If you think blended families suck so bad why did you opt for one??

Husband's wife's picture

I was stupid. If I knew what it is, I would never ever put myself into this bs. 

lieutenant_dad's picture

That's great FOR YOU. But you're setting your daughter up to never have to deal with the realities of the real world.

The real world fact is that she is part of a broken family on her dad's side. She will NEVER fully experience what it's like to be in an intact family. She has a brother through her dad that you cannot erase and that you shouldn't morally ask your DH to erase.

I'm flabbergasted by how much you have thought this through for yourself but not for her. You divorce and she's going to be dealing with going back and forth between you and Dad, spending holidays split between you amd Dad, experiencing the same inequity that your SS is experiencing now. But it will be okay because it doesn't upset your life?

I'm not saying you need to open your arms up to SS. I am saying that you need to accept that there are only so many walls you can build around your daughter before you go too far and harm her.

Husband's wife's picture

I truly do. The thing here is that for me to be a healthy and positive mom it includes not having the boy around. What would be better for my daughter? Seeing her mom hiding in the bedroom with a bottle of wine when the boy is around? Making arrangements at work in order to arrive home as late as possible? Taking her apart and disappear? 

This are things that I read on this forum and I am not judging because I would do exactly the same. Now I am not sure all these things are better for her happiness than living with a healthy and happy mom, without a 100% dad around. 

bananaseedo's picture

You are wrong- in the end your DD would be better off in her nuclear home-you have to put YOUR kids needs above your happiness here...you can CHOOSE to drink wine/be miserable or you can semi-disengage and live your life with DD and make plans for the weekends for some alone time (let DH have both the kids)....but it's obvious you are a very self-absorbed person and put yourself and your wants above the entire rest of the family. In your head YOU are more valuable then your SS, your in-laws, your DH and even your own DD. 

Husband's wife's picture

We have only one life and there is no point in sacrificing it for anyone, especially for the kid that is not yours. I now know I will not be able to be happy if he lives in my house. My house is where I relax in peace. 

I do have a lot of energy and spend a lot of time with my daughter but when the boy is around, I am not being myself. I am unhappy, stressed, miserable and afraid that frustration and stress could lead me to serious health issues.

Don’t try to guilty me into this boy, it will not work. He has his mom, dad and they are the ones responsible, not me. 

bananaseedo's picture

I never did- nobody is guilting you to play mom...but obviously it's all going over your head.

flmomma08's picture

Most people say that in the beginning but it’s not realistic to think neither one of you will ever have another partner. And you certainly wouldn’t be able to control your ex husband dating or remarrying. 

lieutenant_dad's picture

You can walk away, but your daughter will ALWAYS be connected, so you have to take into consideration which would be worse: your SS living with you, or your daughter coming from a broken home.

Cbarton12's picture

Why did you marry your DH is you clearly hate SS so much? 

Nothing you've said has provided insight as to why you hate SS so much and insist on isolating DD from him.

That is cruel and selfish. They are siblings. Sorry, you don't own your child. your DD is as much your child as she is your DH's child. And I'll repeat it again SS is her BROTHER.  

It's clear you take marriage vows lightly. But what on earth makes you think even If you file for divorce that the court will automatically make you CP? 

Your desire to divorce him over SS and your alienation of DD from SS could definitely be grounds for a court to make you the NCP. 

Husband's wife's picture

He is not her brother, calling him brother would be denying my existence. He is half brother.

lieutenant_dad's picture

And not calling him brother would deny your DH's existence.

Half brother or just brother is semantics.

shellpell's picture

It's not just semantics, it's biology. It's the truth. Half means they share one parent, not two. If two half-siblings want to call each other brother or sister, that's up to them, but let's not pretend that full siblings are the same as half. Calling them half-siblings respects the fact that they have one same parent, not two. Just automatically calling them siblings unfairly pushes aside the non-common parent and makes the common one more important.

Most women who have their own children with DH will likely have some sort of reservations about negative influences from skids, though they may not act on it.

Cbarton12's picture

Please do not be petty. You're really going to inculcate "half-brother" to DD. You're going to damage your child. 

He is her brother. I will repeat it as many times as I need to for it to sink in. Your DH had a child before you. You CHOSE to have a child with him thus giving SS a sibling. SS is her brother.

And guess what? If you divorce and DH remarries and has yet another child? That will be DD's brother or sister. 

Don't be an asshole. 

Husband's wife's picture

I myself have a half brother from my dad’s previous life.

We both used to call each other “half”, because it is what it is, nothing personal. He was reminding me of his “strong brotherly love” every time he needed to borrow some money Smile he is 10 years older than me, btw and is completely out of my life.

Half, semantics. We have nothing to do with each other, he is not my family, period. I remember my parents forcing me into interactions. He was the one who talked me into trying some weed, was stealing my money and many other things.

Thanks God my mom finally realized and stopped this unhealthy situation from happening. But until now I remember how I hated my parents for forcing me into relationship with this kid. 

We had exactly the same background in life, except I was studying and working my ass to have a good job and pay scolarship while he was going out and smoking weed. 

Cbarton12's picture

You're equating your poor relationship with what your DD could have with SS. 

Newsflash "full" siblings have issues just like you described. 

And it would be damaging because he is her family and you are trying to treat DD like property. 

sunshinex's picture

Oh no... God forbit you relax and smoke some ganga lmao. 

Seriously, this doesn't sound like a "toxic" half-sibling relationship. It sounds like you were two different people and that's ok. 

bananaseedo's picture

Just a little newsflash for you.....if your dh has a kid there is ALWAYS a chance the kid could end up living with you.  The BM could turn to drugs (ours did, the one we thought would never lose custody did so)....so never say never.

I think if you soften you approach and indoctrination you have better chances of your dh keeping things as is.

Marriage isn't about 'what I signed up for'-  it's for better or worse.  So, if you lose your good paying job, can your dh bolt because he didn't sign up for you making less? What about for health?  You marry someone w/a kid there is always a chance...and chances are it will happen at the worst of his ahole teen behavior years...as happened to countless of us on here.

I'm not the one saying he has to live w/you guys...not at all.  In fact when bm lost custody we only had sd less then 6 months when she went to live with my MIL (she was 15 though)...so I get it.  What I'm saying is you still sound incredibly inflexible and selfish and demanding your way.....it's ok that the kids are different. It's not ok to demand he have two different set of families/Christmases, or that he not allow siblings to be siblings, it's not ok to demand what the grandparents should gift.  My mom fed my kids little debbie's no matter how much I protested-it pissed me off....but that's what grandparents do.  You'll learn you can't control the universe.  Your child isn't a posession to mold exactly to your specifications....he's still an individual you can raise w/your values but I think you struggle a bit thinking he's an extension of you and not a child you do your best to raise.  Don't be surprised when he rebels against your tormenting control.

Husband's wife's picture

i am truly sorry your mom doesn’t respect your decisions concerning your child. Mine does, she feeds my daughter what I say she should. And even when she wants to spoil a bit my DD, it would be with me knowing exactly how and when. 

I am not the type of being pissed off and arguing. If people do not understand what I say (and I always explain why), I simply walk away and live my life.  Of course, if the other side could present arguments and convince me I am wrong, I would be more than happy to change my opinion. So far no one managed to convince me that the processed sugar is good for the child and pediatrician tend to agree with my side of the story. 

My parents know if they feed my DD junk food, they will only see her in my presence

bananaseedo's picture

What on earth made you this way?  Your controlling issues are severe!   I was annoyed, my kids didn't die nor were harmed by some snacks....only in your prescense your OWN mother for feeding them some treats?   Woman, you have a HARD road ahead of you in life.  You will either lose everyone around you or life will snag all that control away.  MORE then likely it will happen wyour child you try to control so severely.  What you're doing is beyond unhealthy....a LOT more unhealthy then on occasional sugary snack.   Yours is emotionally abusive, period. 

sunshinex's picture

It sounds like you're reading through this website and freaking yourself out. Steplife isn't the greatest, but it's what you make of it that counts. If the boy is around, you don't HAVE to hide out in your room with a bottle of wine or make arrangements to stay at work as late as possible. You have to set boundaries. If that means raising your own child differently and telling DH to do what he needs to do with his child, that's fine. There is no harm in having both kids around and raising them differently. A lot of blended families do this.

Hell, my SD's been with us full-time since she was 2 (she's now 7) and I plan on raising my son a lot differently. I'm not even fully disengaged from her, I just avoid a lot of the dicipline/tough stuff so she doesn't resent me. So yeah, my son will have it "hard" compared to her, and yeah, they may notice the difference, but who cares? They're not stupid. They know they come from different moms. 

You're making this way more difficult than you need to. Who cares if the boy is raised differently? Raise yours the way you see fit. Who cares if grandparents buy lots of gifts? You can still recieve lots of crap from family and have the values to work hard in life. You are not valuing your abilities as a mother enough. YOU have a lot of power as your child's mother. Trust me, you have more of an impact than your stepchild, in-laws, etc. 

SecondNoMore's picture

You should not have procreated with a man who already had a child with someone else. You might be well-educated, you might have a great job, but you don’t know the thing you should know best: yourself. Your child might end up a COD due to something that should have been very obvious to you.

Husband's wife's picture

I should not have procreated nor get married, I agree. On the other hand, boy’s BM should not have procreated if she does not want to take care of her child. Same for the DH, he should not have procreated with an overweight, stupid women that is interested in social medias only and is not capable of cooking one decent meal, not including processed food.

what to say? We all do mistakes. I, for my defense, take care of my girl and my DH. I am surely not perfect but I do what I can. 

The boy is not my responsibility and will never be. 

MissDenise's picture

I still beat myself up sometimes for allowing what I've allowed. On the upside our bios are doing very well. I was a good mother and they lived in a stable home. I will mention this, if you and your DH get divorced you can be guaranteed he won't want the daughter a whole lot. Obviously he can't handle that on his own. My point is she'll always live with you. That was always my concern, bad influences around my kids. It does have an impact whether it's family members or other kids fyi.

Husband's wife's picture

The question of the boy living with us does not need any discussion. It will not happen, no mater what. No one can force me to live with him.

My questions are about different education, different financial background and so on. 

Ritka88's picture

Girl,Im 100% with you. I have SS14 11days per month and waiting for the moment he will not want to visiting.Im childless yet but will never raise my kid same way he was raising.He is the worst in school,eating shit,lazy and spoiled.His father know it but is quilty dad.I even think Im waiting with my procreation until he will stop visiting dad because when he is with us Im kind of upset and dont want my kid see me like that.And also can’t imagine living with him full time no matter what.He has a mom,dad,two grandmoms so why I should live with hard teenager?!?!?nonsens.If his mom will have enought in the future due to alcohol,drugs etc, he has go go to grandmum house(thank god is big).

Husband's wife's picture

In fact, my situation is not very bad and there is not much influence from the boy. In fact, because of my job we are living far from ILs, BM and the boy.

It takes almost 3 hours flight for my DH to visit the boy. And I do not visit often, I would rather save this money for a nice trip than to be miserable at ILs house. The BM is very present in their life, they help her a lot and the house is full of her belongings, she babysits their dogs and they collect parcels for her. Even her name is on their postbox. 

It is their life and I do not feel like telling them I do not like it. It is their house and they invite whoever they want. But I do not want to be in the house full of my DH’s ex. 

Basically, I see the boy something like twice a year and when he comes visit here, I take a hotel room and let them enjoy son-dad relationship. And I tend to think that not having my husband around EOW is already a compromise from my side. In an intact family it would not be the case. 

flmomma08's picture

I admit we did get off topic - I think some of the things you said just shocked a lot of us, and that is hard to do here.

Aside from the living arrangements, it is not in anyone's best interests for you to keep the siblings from having a relationship. That's one of the most selfish things I have ever heard. Even if you don't want a relationship with your stepson (I won't refer to him as "the boy"), it is WRONG of you to keep your daughter from knowing her brother.

Husband's wife's picture

Why do you think so? Can someone give me a reason why my daughter should be close to the boy? 

What is my girl’s, boy’s, DH’s and my interest in having these interactions? 

Cbarton12's picture

They are siblings. I don't know how to make that clearer. Sibling relationships are important for a child. 

Husband's wife's picture

Please, the child lives very far away and almost never coming to our house. I would agree with you if he was living with us, or 50/50, or visiting EOW like in classic situation. Of course it would be cruel to exclude my daughter in this case. They would need to interact, being under the same roof. 

In my situation the boy is far far away. She sees him the same as she sees other 3 cousins. 

MissDenise's picture

SS is going to be visiting so you can't keep them totally separate. Our bios are very different today from SS, all are grown. Education wasn't considered important in BM's world, unlike us. Since he doesn't live with you of course take your own vacations, when he can't come. Or if you want to see your side of the family with daughter and DH. Some of my posts haven't been made on this thread so let's see if this one makes it.....

Husband's wife's picture

he is visiting his dad, not me or my daughter. I already explained above that I am renting a hotel room while he is visiting. Don’t get me wrong , I am not trying to separate them no matter what. I just see the boy same important as other daughter’s cousins. I also feel the boy being a cousin, not a half brother for my kid. Maybe because of their living arrangements, I don’t know. 

So basically she sees him at the same time she sees other cousins: Christmas and Easter. I do not see any reason to make them be closer than that. With other kids from my DH’s side the relationship is exactly the same : I offer them presents for birthday, Christmas and Easter, see them twice a year and this is pretty it. 

flmomma08's picture

Your daughter is going to end up resenting you for keeping her away from her brother. 

I really think you need professional help. 

DPW's picture

Okay, I'm just going to say it... You're just a wee bit too rigid. I mean, I get it; in your situation, I would probably want to be the type of parent you are striving to be, but you have to factor in that this is going to eventually get messy if this setup continues. How are you going to handle it as the children age and are curious about each other? What if they express interest in having a relationship - are you going to tell them they can't? They will eventually have social media and phones - are you going to stop them from communicating and having a "half"-sibling relationship if they chose to? 

You have to also consider that you could be damaging your daughter by keeping her away from her half-brother. They don't have to spend every weekend together, but why could they not have a 'distant cousin' type of relationship? Is that so wrong? And, just because you had a poor relationship with your half-brother, doesn't mean that every half-sibling relationship is poor. You know that. Your projecting. Let their relationship go naturally and stop trying to interfere at every turn. It's not healthy like you think it might be, I'm sorry to say. 

Husband's wife's picture

We are in agreement. I do not push her away either. When we are visiting ILs, there are around 5 kids, including mine. And she has some sort of cousin relation with all of them. 

Now also because of the age difference, the boy doesn’t like to play with her, for example. He doesn’t like to play in general, to be honest. He would stay glued to TV or tablet, not having much interactions with other kids. 

I just do not want to reinforce their relationship to become more than it is now. I do not want to take him on vacation, for example. But this is because of me not being happy with him around and not to prevent them from interaction. I take a hotel room because of me and because I do not want my daughter see that it is ok to stay all the day in front of the screen. 

GhostWhoCooksDinner's picture

No, things will never be equal. It's impossible. Even in intact families, things aren't equal. My brother and sister and I grew up with a mom who struggled financially and was a strict disciplinarian.By the time our two youngest sisters were born, Mom had a great career, was much better off, and had mellowed with age. They had far more opportunities and material goods, and a much closer, more affectionate relationship with mom. We older ones tell the younger ones all the time that the mom who raised them and the mom who raised us were two completely different people! We all survived relatively unscathed and are close today.

Leilene's picture

That is your hard earned money that you spent your limited time alive earning, not so that you can appease the child of your husband’s ex. Sure it’s his child too but that doesn’t make you obligated to treat him like he popped out of your womb. How many people bust their butts in college, working toward their degree, hoping one day that all their blood, sweat, tears, and sacrifice can go towards a child from their spouse’s previous relationship!? What a burden. Mother in law should mind her own business or pay for her grandson to come along instead of trying to mandate how you spend your earnings. 

Husband's wife's picture

Thank you so much ! It is exactly what I think. Boy’s  BM doesn’t have any diploma and keeps looking for a man to stop working. 

ILs keeps spoiling the boy with toys but no one is saving for his studies. Well, I suppose he will enjoy public education.

It was my DH’s choice to accept to have a kid with this woman who will never bring a decent income due to her lack of education and laziness. It was BMs choice to have a kid with a man who didn’t even want to marry her. It was ILs choice to take the kid from his parents. Well they now continue the same lane for the Christ’s sake

Leilene's picture

Too many biological parents will take a mile if you give an inch when it comes to generosity, selflessness, and financial help with their children. Many seem to live in a delusional fantasyland where there are mates out there who actually want to have to deal with the flesh and blood product from their failed relationship. They just expect or hope someone without a biological link will love their child as if it’s their own and be passionate, willing, and/or interested to make the same lifestyle and financial sacrifices for a child they didn’t create. Utter delusion. No one plans out their future or hopes for a love life where their S.O. has a child from a previous relationship. 

It’s smart on you to firmly establish boundaries and stick by them no matter what. Your earnings: your choice. 

Husband's wife's picture

My DH is not like that, he understand my position and totally agree with my boundaries. My main issue is ILs, they are trying to guilty me into the kid, saying my visits are important for him, family vacations etc etc.

If my DH was doing that, we would not be together. I hate it when people try to find an outside responsible for their problems and mistakes.

bananaseedo's picture

Your in-laws aren't wrong- YOU are...because maybe your DH does want vacations and some visits with his whole family....you're a stuck up snob to be honest....plenty of kids have public educations. Your main problem is you think you and your extension (child) is better then anyone else.  You found a husband you can most easily control to your satisfaction.  

Husband's wife's picture

Well, if he wanted a big happy family and vacation with all of his kids he should’ve stay with the BM. I also want many things, like never seeing his boy for example. And the boy probably wants his parents to be together. And the BM wanted to have a second kid with DH and stop working. Well, non of us is getting exactly what he or she wants. This is life and this is what I call compromise. Ruining my vacation because of other people’s kids is not compromise, it is hell and I do work hard enough to deserve a decent and calm vacation.

bananaseedo's picture

Hey-since you're so smart it's hard to grasp how you don't get this-but YOU MARRIED him knowing he had another child in his life.  Worse, you went on to have a KID with him knowing he had another child....so you're in the wrong here, not him.

He also probably deserves calm/vacation- maybe he wants both his kids- in that case I suggest you learn to let the ropes go and let him take both of his kids with him on vacations by himself or with his in-laws and you stay back and get spa days. You can't deny him a relationship with both his kids and you can't not allow him to vacation or spend time with both his kids. Your kid isn't YOURS or your posession.

Harry's picture

He would not enjoy anyway.  SS is into screens and eating junk food.  Let your IL handle SS vacations.  You enjoy the time with your DD’s  They are only young once 

Rags's picture

Time for a return trip to court.  If your ILs are the actual custodial parents raising this kid... then the CO should reflect that and both your DH and BM should be paying your ILs for the outsourced parenting services.  Why would your DH continue to pay BM for something BM is not doing?

Call a lawyer, get the best, and get this taken care of.

As the significantly higher earner in your marriage, you have significant leverage regarding finances and how they are directed.

Drive the structure that you desire.

Good luck.

Husband's wife's picture

Just found your post and I totally agree, this is what I am actually fighting for.

my idea was also to denounce the BM to the tax authorities and social services. In fact, she is paying taxes as a single parent and also gets some governmental help for her kid that is living with the ILs and they are providing for the kid: clothes, doctors, food etc. 

We spoke with my husband and he was in agreement that logically the CS should be for his parents, from both of them. How he is afraid to call it court, because she would possibly take the kid back and as she likes changing men and is not capable of properly reading and writing and interested in social media and junk food only, he is afraid it would be bad for the kid. 

In addition, the ILs have pity for her and will not testimony against. Moreover, my DH told them that he wants to pay them, they said they would still give these money back to the BM.

what can I do ? It is not my kid, not my game. I totally disengaged and do not want to have anything to do with this situation, it gets to my nerves.