You are here

The tooth fairy and other imaginary gift givers!!!

VENUS452's picture

So I've always found it difficult to support all the different imaginary people that come and give gifts throughout the year, not to mention it becomes a lot when you have a child going between two homes with two different "stories or ideas" of what those characters are/do. In our household we only do Santa and the Easter Bunny and we only do them when SS is actually at our house for the holiday (so only every other year)and he only gets gifts from us on the opposite years. BM still gives gifts from Santa and the bunny even when its not her year and that's totally her choice. DH and I decided it was just too much and odd that Santa would come to both houses when other kids only have one home etc. BM also does, Elf on the Shelf and the Leprechaun traps and gives gifts with those too. Now I have no issue with these, I think the idea is kind of cute, I just don't think it's necessary to shower a child with gifts all the time.

Now getting to why I'm so upset!! SS is 6.5 and lost his first tooth while staying up at BM's parents house. He has been SOOOO excited to lose this tooth, it's been wiggling for weeks now! He and I were talking last week about the tooth fairy and he said he hoped the tooth fairy would give him $50! I laughed and said I knew he wouldn't get that much, but I wasn't sure how much he would get. So I asked around for the going rate of the tooth fairy and DH and I decided on $1. We knew it was likely BM would give more than that...but we thought that's really all that should be given.

Well SS called DH today to tell him he lost his tooth last night and guess how much the tooth fairy gave him..............ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PUKE!!!! I can't even begin to explain how annoyed this makes me. First of all a six year old does not need that much money!! And now his expectations are going to be SOOOOOO high when he loses his next tooth. I now hope he doesn't lose a single tooth at our house! UGH

Calypso1977's picture

ridiculous.
i think i got 25 cents for a tooth and maybe a dollar for molars. and that was the early 80's.

VENUS452's picture

YES!!!! I wanted to do that...or maybe a 50 cent piece for something unique.

hereiam's picture

Well, if he loses a tooth at your house, I guess he will find out what the Tooth Fairy REALLY gives.

VENUS452's picture

Seriously!!!! It's totally ridiculous!!! $100....I can't get over it. Who does that!!

Justme54's picture

Tell SS...The tooth fairy most have lost her reading glasses...you got lucky. The going rate is $1.

GhostWhoCooksDinner's picture

Setting the bar pretty high, isn't she? What the hell is he going to expect next?

Amber Miller's picture

That's absolutely ridiculous. What a stupid decision. Now he's going to expect $100 for each tooth. What a way to raise your kid. she should take that $100 and put it in a savings account for braces if she wants to spend that type of money on her kids teeth and give him $1

ownpersonalopinion1's picture

I put change under the pillow for my kids. But, if it happened at BM's house, don't worry about it.

VENUS452's picture

That's exactly what I told DH!!! LOL She constantly complains that she's broke....hummm I wonder why???

Justme54's picture

LOL!

Dizzy's picture

I fucking hate this shit. My BD7 asks me why the Tooth Fairy gives her $2 and her friends get much, much more. She feels like she's not good enough. I want these stupid lies to end. Not to mention the panic attack that "playing" Tooth Fairy induces. And no, I am not kidding.

Dizzy's picture

tommar, I fucking LOVE this and I love you for posting this. Thank you so, so much!! When/if it comes up again, that's what I will tell her. I could kiss you right now.

ldvilen's picture

If I were a six-year old and got $100 for a lost tooth, I find myself a hammer and start chipping away at the rest of 'em. Really! My guess is SK told BM that you told him he was only going to get $1, and BM decided to stick it to you good. Reminds me of the time my husband and I took his daughter to an expensive fair, and we were down to our last three tickets, so we encouraged 10-year old SD to go on a ride by herself. Well, she threw a fit and wanted daddy to buy more tickets to go with her. Dad stood his ground and said no. Well, the next day, BM took her daughter to the fair and bought her mega-tickets and went on every ride with her. Some BMs just never want to miss ANY opportunity to make themselves look like heroines and daddy and step-mom look like loosers, no matter what the cost, money-wise or sabotaging-daddy-wise, or turning the kid into a spoiled-brat-wise.

Glassslipper's picture

I bribe my kids for good graded too! Smile
We do it a little different though, they only get a pay out if they are on honor roll all year. So we only pay for strait A's.
It seems to inspire them Smile

VENUS452's picture

First off, AWESOME honest kid!!!! Smile

I guess I never even considered offering money for good grades (granted he is only in Kindergarten LOL), but if it works, it works. Everyone's different. I don't see DH and I doing it that way, but who knows.

When I was a kid my reward for good grades, was being able to do things with friends, etc. so I guess that's bribing too.

luvmykidsmore's picture

LOL! Crazy!

This has been a crazy summer. My 11-yr old stepson called his mother to tell her that he only received $2 for his lost tooth. He told her that he usually got $5. My wife told him that she would make up the difference. LOL! You see, my step son is staying with my family over the summer. My family does not encourage the belief of tooth fairies, etc. They get to an age when they know better. My wife encourages her son to continue believing in fantasies. Anyway, stepson thought it odd that he would get less from the tooth fairy where my family is than from the tooth fairy where we now live.

Ugh.

Justme54's picture

What is he going to want for his 16 birthday. Let me guess, a new BMW and he will want to pick out the color. What does BM do for a living? Did she remarry for money?

VENUS452's picture

That's the worst part!!!! She always complains she has no money, and says her husband is a pile because he only makes 40k a year, causing her to have to work two days a week!!! Oh the horror!!!

However, she has three kids with three dads and she gets CS from two of them, and from what I understand, she gets a pretty penny from them both! Then of course we pay for everything for SS. She get's food stamps and state assistance, so I guess she has a lot of extra money....must be nice!

MamaDuck's picture

Lawdy that's excessively disgusting!

I feel sick every time SD5 tells us she got [whatever the new latest toy/craze] is because she finished a sticker chart (putting shoes away etc etc) at moms. Seriously, EVERY TIME we have her, she got something new at mom's house.

Normally wouldn't care what other house does, but when we ask SD to do something... "what will I get?". Drives me crazy! Spoiled and entitled!

(my reply btw; "I'll tell you what you'll get if you DON'T put your things away, TIME OUT, now move it!")

robin333's picture

I did give other gifts such as books, inexpensive bracelets for my DD. And I have started paying for A ' s and B's.

MidwestStepmom's picture

I don't know. I feel like you don't have much of a say to be mad. If Bm wants to spend that kind of money on her son, then so be it. Obviously you and your dh can set the amount at your house, but who cares what Bm does.

Maybe I'm the minority here.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Way to go, BM! Doing your part to raise your kid to be a card-carrying member of Generation Entitlement!

At this rate, that kid's used teeth will be worth more than my first car cost!

jssdallas's picture

That is totally nuts!!! I think you just do what is right at your house. I just hope when these kids get older they see the bigger picture....