You are here

Off subject but need advice from those who are/or use travel agents

Old sm's picture

We booked a cruise in February and made a large deposit for the room;  then a family member recommended a "reputable" travel agent she uses to get better rooms/deals for the cruise.  This is a family cruise so 2 other families are involved.So, since she used this person before and had alot of luck with her, we agreed.  This lady did take over our cruise reservations and did get us great reservations.  We also paid for travel insurance in case something happened.

OK, something happened and we've had to cancel back in February not too long after we made the reservations.  So we notified the agent and according to her, she did cancel our cruise over 8 weeks ago.

Now, it's like she's disappeared.  We haven't rec'd anything from the cruise or insurance company.  We called this agent, emailed, texted her and she has responded once over a month ago telling us we need to give the insurance company more time but when we ask her to call the insurance company to get a status, she tells us she can't do it bc it's our cancellation. We've asked for a copy of the paperwork she sent and she hasn't responded. I don't know who the insurance company is; I have no case number.  Another family member has also cancelled and she is having the same issues. And the cruise line can't help bc they said the travel agent took over our account.

Advise pls??

SteppedOut's picture

I have never used a travel agent, but this definitely doesn't pass the smell test.

Do you have a signed contract stating what the funds that you gave the agent will be used to pay for? Specifically, is travel insurance listed?

It sounds to me, like maybe the agent did not purchase the optional insurance but told you she did.

Depending on the amount that you will be losing or just the principle of it if you are like that, you may want to have an attorney inquire with the travel agent on your behalf.

Old sm's picture

We purchased the insurance when we made the original reservation. My husband did the reservation; he's not too bright when it comes to keeping records of transactions but I have my credit card statement and all the emails plus a copy of the reservations she took over.

notarelative's picture

Any time I've used a travel agent and bought insurance through them I have immediately received the name of the company, the policy number, and a link to the online policy information. 

The one time I had to make a claim, our trip was at the end of May, we filed when we returned mid June, and got our check near the end of August. I had bought the insurance through the tour company and had to do the claim through the insurance myself. 

If travel agents are licensed where you live, you could try calling the licensing board and find out how to make a complaint that she isn't returning your calls. A call to her from the licensing board may get you results. 

Old sm's picture

I've contacted my credit card provider and they are going to assist. Luckily, I've saved all communications I attempted with this lady and the CC company seems pretty certain they will be able to issue a refund back to my card.  I'm just pissed that someone out there conducts business in this fashion.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Check with the Better Business Bureau, Yelp, and social media platforms. Leave bad reviews for this agent. The public deserves to be warned about her.

Thumper's picture

Get ahold of the Better Business Bureau also. They will do what they can AND by you filing a complaint, it will help someone in the future too.

I know you wrote your cc company is helping you ...THANK GOD.

AAA is who we use for cruises---OR, I will book directly with cruise company than call  AAA to pick up my reservation. AAA trip cxl insurance is far less expensive that the cruises.

Something is way off with your travel agent...follow your gut on this one. AAA is around 70bucks a year and we use them alot for many things.

MrsStepMom's picture

The BBB is nothing more than a paid membership and holds no credibility anymore. You don’t pay them you get a D, pay the, A. 

Thumper's picture

Hey, one more thing. Have you googled this businesss name key words...XYZ Travel complaints.

You might find you are not the only one.

Old sm's picture

My CC company has issued a provisional refund dependent on the cruise line sending any documentation that states I shouldn't be getting it back.  So now I have to wait 60days to see if I keep the refund.