You are here

Insurance Question

MrsWhoRU's picture

I recently found out my insurance agent had put me as head of household on me and my husband's auto policy which had always been under my husband. The kicker is, this was done a few years ago without my consent or knowledge and my stepson was listed under my policy as well (he is 25 year old male)! I had no idea until SS had a fender bender and I was notified by mail regarding "MY" claim. The agent said he did this to lower our rates....wouldn't you think he would have asked me before doing this? My DH claims he didn't know anything about it and SS had always been under his policy. SS lives with his mother and that is where he should have been insured...not with me or at our address!! My DH and I disagree on this stuff as he thinks it is great to continue carrying an adult child on your policy...fine, but it shouldn't be on my policy.

Since I complained to the agent, he has put SS on his own policy and listed his address with his mother.

Does anyone have insurance expertise they can provide? I have filed a complaint with the Dept of Insurance and they are following up. Should I consider hiring an attorney and sueing the insurance company?

FeuilleMorte's picture

Suing the insurance company seems extreme, especially as the situation has been remedied. What monetary damages did you suffer?

Jsmom's picture

Your husband is at fault here, not the agent. He knows more than he is telling....

MrsWhoRU's picture

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them all. My DH swears up and down he didn't make the change and did not know about it. Yes, the agent has moved SS off to his own policy where he should have been all these years anyway. My concern is that I had the liability of SS under my policy and never knew it. I would never put my insurance rating at risk due to SS. When I told the agent this was not right he said he needed to call both parties, DH & SS, to let them know the policy was being changed. Where was the phone call to me when the agent changed our policy 2 years ago and added me as head of household? I would never have agreed to have a 23 now 25 year old male under my insurance. This is where I am having problems, and yes, I have a feeling my DH is the culprit, but he needs to learn he can't be doing this stuff behind my back. I am waiting to see what the insurance company responds with.

I have also found other auto insurance for myself and it is much cheaper than what this insurance company was charging me even with multi-auto discount and homeowners insurance.

I am feeling my DH is throwing our marriage under the bus.

Superdad454's picture

In my state, you can only be on someone else's insurance if you are related to them and physically live in the same household. So if it is the same there, either your husband or the agent did something against the law.

Aside from that, why would your husband think this is a good thing if the S25 gets in an accident or gets tickets and raises YOUR premiums?

MrsWhoRU's picture

Superdad - I agree totally with what you are saying and this is the point I have been trying to make. I received my new insurance premium and...surprise!...it went down over $100!! What was this agent thinking when he said he did what he did to LOWER our rates?!!

buttercookie's picture

My SS and his BM tried to get added to our policy. State Farm called us immediately. I'd be livid and I'd ask to speak to whoever is the agents supervisor or call corporate.

Poodle's picture

NO :jawdrop: :sick: