You are here

Is SS13 to “old” for Parent involvement making friends

Tammajean451's picture

As I stated in my other posts SS13 Is this lazy,rude Highly immature Socially awkward-annoying brat. SS13 has a few friends he hangs out with at school BUT never hangs out with them outside of school. Why do I care??? Hold on I'm getting to that. Now if the school has a after hour event( dance/Halloween party) SS13 will go as long as those few friends are going. I also believe if those friends asked SS13 to do something outside of school SS would do it too. Unfortunately for whatever reason these friends never asked SS to hang out outside of class. Now I don't know if SS13 is just to lazy or Socially awkward to make the first move in doing something with friends outside of class. Think it's a Combination of both maybe. Now I also strongly believe if either BM or DH "Organized" some sort of event and did all/most of the planning SS would be more for it. 

So my question is SS13 is to old for BM/DH to be Organizing, calling other parents trying to get "friends" to hang out with SS13? Is there anything at this age DH/BM can do to help SS make friends?

I care because SS13 drives me nuts hanging around 24/7. I can't "disengage" as we have a small house and I can't be gone all the time. 

JRI's picture

I think he is too old for thst kind of help.  I think it would be embarrassing for him.  I know he is driving you nuts but this isnt the way.  He might be an introvert who isnt that interested in friends.  Sorry for you, I know you want to help.

Perhaps if there is anythiing that can be done to make to make him more acceptable?  Hygiene?  Clothes?

Tammajean451's picture

Since BM is rich and SS a spoiled brat he's got the best and Latest clothes. Think $120 Nike airs. No Walmart brand for Step brat. Going to school SS is clean and well dressed thanks to BM. 

ndc's picture

At that age, parental facilitation is mostly limited to driving the kids places.  The only time I can see parents getting involved in making friends at that age is an NCP inviting kids over to meet a kid who was on long distance visitation, or who lived and went to school a distance away.

Dogmom1321's picture

SD10 is the same way. Awkward, anti-social, etc. DH and I have tried to encourage her to play with neighbors. Majority are around her age. She comes up with bratty excuses like "they want to do something else" "they aren't my asthetic" "I'm an emo kid" the list goes on.

When she was younger (around 8) I would try to take her to birthday parties she was invited to. She would literally sit in the corner, isolate herself and pout, waiting for someone to come up to her and ask "Omgggg is everything okay?!" Attention seeking behavior. She has stopped being invited and I don't blame the other kids one bit. 

ESMOD's picture

I don't think that parents need to be doing playdates for a teen.  But, I don't think there is a problem with them offering up that they would be happy to host his friends.. a sleepover or whatnot.

The problem now is that there may not be a lot of people wanting to do a lot of mixing households due to covid.  It might not really be the right time to push for this.