You are here

Is this “normal” teen behavior

Tammajean451's picture

Around about 1 year ago SS14 started staying up till 1am playing video games and sleeping till noon. Well it's gotten way worse. Now SS14 stays up till 3,4, 5am playing video games and sleeps till 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Yes DH is not happy BUT says this is just a teen phase that he will grow out of and not a hill to die on fighting with SS14 over this Especially since BM allows this at her house. DH goes on to say it could be a lot worse as at least SS14 is not out Wandering the street at all hours or doing drugs.  This is true but I can't help but think playing video games all night with no limits from either parent can't be normal. Is DH correct in this is just normal teen crap? Is this something that will go away on its own as SS14 gets older?

Kes's picture

Personally, I would not have allowed my bios to do this - we lived in a small house and my sleep would have been disturbed by someone staying up until the hours you mention.  Unless they were going out and it was a special occasion, I would have expected them to go to bed by about 10-11pm at weekends at that age. 

Winterglow's picture

Teens will do whatever they can get away with. A phase? If not corrected immediately, it will be a phase that can last well into adult life, possibly forever.

At least he isn't doing drugs? Does your husband have even the remotest idea about what a parent's role/job is? He's supposed to help his son become a decent, productive member of society and what is he doing? He's hiding behind what bm does at her place (does he respect her behavior in other domains as much? Didn't think so...) because he can't be bothered to actually BE a father to the child. Yup, he's too lazy to care. 

I guess he doesn't love his son enough to care... What a cop-out. 

Dogmom1321's picture

I don't think crappy parenting is a "phase". My DH is guilty of letting SD stay up late on her phone all night, sleep until 2pm, and wonders why she isn't productive during the day?

It's true that teenagers need more sleep. Roughly 10 hours I think? But that doesn't equate to staying up all night. I agree with the above. All it does is set them up for failure later. We start school next week and I can't WAIT for DH to have fun waking her up in the morning. Lol. 

TheAccidentalSM's picture

Once in a blue moon, with friends ok.  Its like staying up all night binging movies at a slumber party.

But all the time isn't good for a teenager.

However, this is your DH and his ex's problem.  You can't fix this and there is no point caring more than the parents.

BUT if the all night gaming is disturbing your sleep, tell your DH if he doesn't fix it you will and then unplug the wifi (or whatever you need to turn off - pull a fuse) to make it stop.  Remind you DH that you are the adult in your own home and that you need a good nights sleep.

ImFreeAtLast's picture

It's normal for the offspring of a guilty divorced father who provides pathological "parenting." AdultSkid literally threw tantrums about the internet being shut off after a certain time of night. His bellowing playing online was keeping our kids awake. AdultSkid would try to sleep all day long but fail. I had to deal with the stress of this all last year. No wonder I'm on edge still.

hereiam's picture

There are a lot of things that are relatively "normal" for teens to do or try. Doesn't mean that parents should just allow it.

Your husband doesn't want to deal with being an actual parent. This will bite him in the ass.

I don't know, I think my kid becoming an unmotivated layabout gamer would be a hill for me to die on.

Monsterchick87's picture

At least your SS is 14. Mine was 24 when he was playing video games all night and sleeping all day!!! I think a normal 24 year old would be working but that was not my case with my boyfriend's son. So yes, it's not normal and your SS will become a useless adult if he continues this lifestyle 

Rags's picture

Noting running over his computer and game system in the driveway with your car, an airhorn, and bucket of ice water won't fix.

You want to pull that shit, do it on your time, your dime, in your own shelter that you provide for yourself. If you want to play Sofa rodeo rider and all night gaming addicted loser in my home, be ready for a life of escalating abject misery.

Someoneelse's picture

I mean, it's it normal? Yes, it's it healthy? No.  Many teen kids stay up way too late playing video games. I told my daughter (who was obsessed with video games)  if it's effecting your grades/ability to function at school, you have to stop... but that's your judgement call.  She was still getting good grades, but was REALLY tired.  But she still went to work, school and had a social life with friends.  SHE was able to make it work.... but not all kids can.  She's 17 now and BARELY plays video games anymore... for her it was a teenage phase, doesn't mean it works for everyone though. 

That being said... not your child, so don't worry about it.  If this kid finds his life because he's staying up all hours playing video games, as long as it's not too loud for you and YOU lose sleep, don't worry about it. 

justmakingthebest's picture

Normal? yes. Irritating? YES! 

I have a midnight rule in the summer for video games off and 10pm during the school year. When BS15 has friends over they will still be awake when I get up in the morning and then it is like trying to wake the dead to send them home mid afternoon so I can have my house back!