You are here

Sort of O/T - BM has "concerns" about our pets

SMof2Girls's picture

Keep in mind this is the same BM who smokes in her home and car with two children who have "severe" asthma. Her mother, also a smoker, lives with her and does the same.

We recently bought 4 baby chickens. While young, baby chicks need to live in a warm, draft-free space. They are living in their brooder (cage built specifically for young chicks) in our sun room. They'll move outside to their coop in about 4 weeks.

The skids are extremely excited about this. Since the skids are living with BM in Texas until the end of May, we got the chicks now so that by the time the girls move back, the chickens will be outside in their coop.

BM sent an email saying she is "extremely worried because the girls said you would be raising these pets in your home". She's also "very concerned about the girls washing their hands after holding the chicks". She then included a list of website links for DH's reference to "better understand the dangers of raising chickens".

Bitch, please.

This is the same BM, who after being confronted about her continued smoking in the presence of these two "severely asthmatic" kids, reprimanded DH for butting into her personal life. At that time she stated that as parents they have the right to do whatever they want in their homes as long as the kids are safe, and they do not need to answer to the other parent about the running of their individual homes. I agree with that (except on the particular smoking issue). But apparently this only applies to BM's freedoms .. not DH's.

The kids are safe. I've raised chickens almost my entire life. I know exactly what I'm doing. And unlike BM, I'm extremely OCD about cleaning and pet messes.

Another email ignored.

/end rant

Jellybeam's picture

I wouldn't even honor BM's "concerns" with a reply. What an idiot. Smoking around an asthmatic child is child abuse in my eyes. She's crazy a little, isn't she.

SMof2Girls's picture

DH isn't planning on replying. I have no doubts this will come up again.

This emailed followed her last email rant about this green blanket SD5 apparnetly left in our home the last time they visited (first week of March). Apparently not having this blanket to sleep with every night is "detrimental to SD5's health and welfare since she hasn't slept a whole night since leaving her blanket".

DH found it stuffed under SD5's bed. We didn't even know she brought it. And if it's so terrible and SD5 is "suffering" so much, why wait 2+ weeks to let DH know you need it back?

PeanutandSons's picture

Any chance she still has a thing for dh? She seems to look really hard for a reason to email him.

SMof2Girls's picture

I wouldn't doubt it. I don't know that she really pines for him or anything, but I think she realizes just how good she had it before she screwed it up for herself. Her life is harder now without him, and she hates that our life together is clearly better.

SMof2Girls's picture

No kidding .. this was one of the links she provided:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/

BM will be sure to bring it up again .. I refuse to justify anything I do in my home to her. I DARE her to demand anything from me or DH in regards to ANY of my pets. }:)

This is honestly an issue I could see her threatening to withhold the kids over .. and I just hope she's dumb enough to do it.

On another note .. glad to see there's another chicken-lover here! Smile

SMof2Girls's picture

Lol I wouldn't be surprised if she just googled "rare chicken diseases" and didn't bother to actually READ any of the information. :?

I really want to get quail but finding them local to me is a real pain in the rear! Maybe next year Smile

We got:
1 Rhode Island Red
1 Ameracauna
1 Gold Laced Wyandotte
1 Blue Cochin

They're about 3 weeks old now and growing feathers .. I love them when they're still little fuzzbutts! The cochin LOVES getting her belly rubbed Biggrin

SMof2Girls's picture

SD5 about flipped out when we told her one of the birds would lay blue eggs .. she dropped the phone and ran screaming with excitement to tell BM }:)

The email came about 2 hours later ..

SMof2Girls's picture

Also, DH agreed that if she absolutely wouldn't give up without a reply, his reply would be:

"I have not, nor will I ever, do anything to jeapordize the health or safety of my current and future children."

She DESPISES the fact that DH and I are planning to have more kids; so why not dish a little of her snark back at her? }:)

Willow2010's picture

OT...I want chickens some day! I want the eggs, but I also hear they can be great yard pets.

SMof2Girls's picture

They are the best! I do love fresh eggs, and yes, they can be great pets. You can get them as eggs and hatch yourself, or buy them as young as a day old. They imprint on you and you become their "chick mama"!

They really are some of the easiest pets to own and they have such varied, goofy personalities Biggrin

oldone's picture

I clicked on that link for some stupid reason and the first thing that caught my eye was:

Shaky Leg Syndrome

And I thought it said SKANKY leg syndrome.

I thought darn that's what's the matter with so many of these SDs and BMs. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile