You are here

Should BM's work ?

gazzabicks's picture

If the divorced happened after having 3 children and the BM didn't work whilst married, should the BM go out to work once they get divorced?

In the UK it is not unusual for the DH to pay an allowance to the BM who didn't work each month too. Is that right as well ?

I think the individual allowance stops if the BM meets someone else and they live in the house for more than 6 months.

soverysad's picture

I think if the kids are in school then yes the bm should work. I think the fact that she didn't work while married is something for which she should be grateful but in today's world a luxury that shouldn't be expected forever. BM's should be responsible for their children as well and not working means they aren't taking any financial responsibility for their kids. PLUS these kids didn't choose to have their homes divided and now they're being ripped off because dh has to pay for their upkeep in two separate places which means they are getting less overall because $ is going for housing, etc.

In some states, dh has to pay alimony (allowance) for a very long time or permanently even if the bm can earn her own way. In other states it is allowed for only a temporary period when BM is SUPPOSED to find a way to earn her own way in life, but sometimes the bm takes the money, does nothing to better herself, and then lives in poverty forever and wants everyone to feel sorry for her.

Personally, I think that in a "no-fault" divorce where the wife leaves (and can't prove the husband was abusive, cheating, etc.) or when the wife cheats, no alimony should be awarded (and this is not the case in my situation, just a personal opinion). Why should someone get to tear their family apart and then collect money for doing so?

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy" and you can't change crazy!!

gazzabicks's picture

What do you think if the BM meets someone, they have children and the new husband can afford for the BM not to work and therefore the BM has the ability to be at home and look after both the DH's children and the children with her new husband ?

After all, its tough to find a decent paid job that will enable you to work the flexible hours to drop the children off to svhool in the morning, pick them up in the afternoon, run them to all sorts of places afterwards etc....

soverysad's picture

I think as long as the new husband is affording her to not work, then that is their choice. My only argument is that BM shouldn't get a free pass and collect from ex husband.

gazzabicks's picture

what do you mean by a free pass ? Surely the CS money would only be spent on the children if the BM found someone who could afford to look after them

I guess the question is, what happens if one off payments come up, things outside of the general use of the CS, who should pay for that, the BF ? I guess so, if the BM doesn;t work ?

soverysad's picture

Wait - alimony and CS are two different things.

Alimony should cease if BM lives with another man or remarries. CS should not. and the new husband should not be on the hook for supporting the kids. They aren't his responsibility. In our state, cs support is based on total earning capacity of both bioparents and then split depending on that capacity by each parent. So if father's earning capacity is $100 and mother's earning capacity is $100, then no cs. If father's earning capacity is $200 and mother's is $0, father pays 100% of the calculated amount required to support a child (if it is 30% of income then $60), anything in between gets split accordingly. The key being EARNING CAPACITY, not income. SO if BM can work and make $100, but chooses to NOT work because her new husband makes enough to not require it, she is still on the hook for her share (so new husband technically becomes responsible, but that is his choice by allowing bm to not work).

CS should be used for clothing, housing (a portion), school supplies, and other basic needs of a child. Any "extra" costs should be determined and split accordingly. But I don't believe bms get to just decide to spend and then expect the father to pay without his input. Basically, I think it is unfair to expect a father to financially support a child in extras if the bm gives him no rights or say in actually raising that child (if he wants to).

LMR120's picture

That is not the case in any family. My BF BM works and uses the CS money to pay rent, school and car payment. As this "benifits" the kids.

Totalybogus's picture

If this is something that the new family decides and the new family can afford for mom to stay home with the kids, then I think it is a good idea. However, mom should not seek additional child support from first daddy to support her second family lifestyle BECAUSE she doesn't work.

Amazed's picture

They should work...but unfortunately,many count on their massive alimony and cs to keep them afloat.

SOME cases of cs are turning into robbery bc it's so unreasonably high.

Is it right that BM doesn't work and relies on ex? Nope.

Is there anything anyone can do to change it? Nope.

Dh's divorce agreement states that alimony STOPS if Frizz has someone living with her for 90 days or more.

"Venting without the desire to look within and improve your situation is simply venting to hear yourself bitch."

..."I'm not mean, you're just a sissy."

soverysad's picture

Bet she isn't is a hurry to move anyone in? In PA it is standard for alimony to end if the recipient co-habitates. Doesn't give a timeframe. I can't see anyone who knows Wingnut for more than 5 minutes wanting to live with her. We have 35 months to go then the witch is on her own!

Amazed's picture

Yeah she has been dating a guy for about 3 years but won't close the deal with him bc he doesn't make enough money. She actually TOLD him that he'll just have to stick around til her alimony and cs end bc she isn't going to just waste HER money and throw it away by moving him in. And the pathetic bastard sticks around. :?

"Venting without the desire to look within and improve your situation is simply venting to hear yourself bitch."

soverysad's picture

And he doesn't see that she is money-grubber by making those statements. He'll be her next target. How long until your alimony ends? I count the months!

Amazed's picture

Well since my DH is a member of the spineless section of our human race, she gets alimony for another 10 years.

soverysad's picture

UGH! Wingnut tried for 10 years (on top of the 3 he paid her spousal support during the divorce process). She only got 4. I insisted dh fight her tooth and nail. She treated him like crap and pushed him into a nervous breakdown and she now gets paid for being a shitty wife! If dh wimped out (which he wanted to do just to get it over with) and she got her way, we'd be living in a homeless shelter. She wanted 100% of ALL marital assets (cars, house, 401k, deferred income, bank accounts), 10 year alimony at $3000 per month (plus cs), full paid tuition for her to return to school and get a degree, and full payment of her attorney fees (which were probably $50K since she ran them up thinking she'd get him to pay them). She got 50% of assets (and since she dragged her feet, the house value dropped $60K during this timeframe), 4 years alimony at $2500 per month, no tuition and no attorney fees. And she still cries that she is broke. With alimony, cs and and her income (she had to get a job for medical benefits - she also thought he should pay for COBRA for 2 years - didn't happen) she's raking in about $4200 per month. Not bad for a supermarket clerk, huh? If she can't live on that, I can't imagine what she will be like in 3 years without the alimony.....

gazzabicks's picture

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.....did he leave her for you by any chance ?

soverysad's picture

He left her because she tried to stab him. Does she believe it was because of me? Probably, but that isn't my problem. He asked her to go to marriage counseling because of her anger issues and she responded with "I am perfect, our marriage is fine, you have a problem. Fix it yourself". So he fixed it by removing himself as her target. AND even if he did leave her for me, doesn't change the fact that she should be responsible for herself. I don't think any able-bodied person deserves a free ride.

Wicked.Step.Monster's picture

LOL.... scorned woman... isn't that the truth?! I took everything from EH because I'd be damned if satan was getting 1 thing that I had any part of working for. I fought, I got it all. Smile 5 years later when satan went away, I gave a lot of it back to EH.

Amazed's picture

Scorned by the ex...but I just walked away with nothing and made him pay in other ways }:) Hateful, vile ways that I will not disclose. I have to avoid sharing incriminating evidence

Heehee... I think I did some of those too... but I did it on top of him getting nothing. Wink EH got his pickup and motorcycle crap I didn't want, a few tools, his clothes and a few cd's. No lie. That's all he got. I got the house, the car, 1/2 the 2nd mortgage payment, child support, and everything in the house. I was very scorned, and very very evil. Smile

Amazed's picture

It is messed up. But that's what happens to men who get a 19yr old girl pregnant then have sex with multiple women on the living room couch while the girl is at work 8months pregnant. THEN leaving the tape of these little adventures for the girl to find. AND let her weep because these sex adventures were taped OVER her babyshower...he deserved everything he got.

Yup. that's MY story. :O

soverysad's picture

See...in your circumstance I totally say take the b*stard for all he is worth and then some.

Amazed's picture

lol, oh but i took so much more than money. he didn't have anything without me anyway so there wasn't much to take...

soverysad's picture

As well you should have!

I don't feel the need to explain... it was what it was and given the same circumstances I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I don't take getting f'd over lightly. I'm a revenge-gettin kinda girl.

Like I said, when satan went away I gave him a lot of his stuff back. Smile But by God she wasn't getting anything I worked for, and she didn't.

gazzabicks's picture

So from this it seems like all the StepMoms are happy to screw their ex-husbands for everything they have got or owned but don't like it when their new husband or partner has to pay it out.....people in glass houses and all that....

Amazed's picture

Glass houses?? 1.IF my dh had done to bm what my ex did to me, then he would deserve to pay his ex the 10k a month that she gets. 2 IF he behaved that way with his ex, I wouldn't be with him in the first place. 3.he was good to his ex and she admitted that she was using him and that he was a good husband. SO I Do NOT live in a glass house when I talk about the money my dh pays his ex while she lives a life of luxury. And I don't get ANY money from my ex,no cs,no alimony,nothing. My ex got what he deserved. my husband got screwed in court bc he was a good provider._________________"Venting without the desire to look within and improve your situation is simply venting to hear yourself bitch."

Hmmm... so how exactly do what, 2 posts equal "all" the StepMoms? I see me and Barbie who have talked about this.... that hardly means ALL StepMoms. And let me tell you what gazzabicks, if what happened to me, happened to you, I bet you would have a change of tune. For that matter, I don't necessarily have a problem with what my DH pays out either, because I love his children and want the best for them and if what he pays out helps them have the best then so be it.

Yes, I stuck it to my EH during our divorce because I was a scorned woman. I pray you never go through the 5 years of sheer and utter HELL I went through with the tramp he left me for. EH was 22 and I was 18 when we got married, we had nothing, when we divorced 9 years later we owned a nice home, nice vehicles, had started a business together..... I busted my ass just as much as he did and I was not about to let that woman get her hands on my hard work. It was bad enough when she swooped in and tried to act like my perfectson was HER child, but then to let her have half my hard work?? Oh hell no.

Throwing stones? What a joke!

Storm76's picture

Good question - in an ideal world, yes, but I can appreciate that for some women who have been sahm for many years it would be difficult to find a job that would either fit around the kids schooling & activities or pay enough to make it worthwhile paying out for childcare. However, I generally don't believe that alimony is justified (especially the sort that never ends!) - this is where you get 'career' wives/BMs who deliberately set out to marry & get pregnant by a guy she thinks will keep paying her dosh for the rest of her life. I really like Two and a Half Men, but always try to figure out a system where in a divorce the wife gets the house, alimony & child support, meaning the husband can't afford to live anywhere decent himself & has to move in with family (I know it's just TV, but surely based on something?)

soverysad's picture

Unfortunately, it is based on something. In MA, men can be taxed with alimony FOREVER even if the exwife has a degree and can earn just as much money as the husband. In fact, if the husband loses his job, the new wife would be liable to pay that alimony. Some men can't ever retire because the xwifes alimony precludes it.

When dh first left Wingnut (this is in PA), the spousal support and alimony during the divorce included a "mortgage differential" which meant that because Wingnut stayed in the marital home with a large mortgage dh had to pay a % additional money to allow her to stay there. It is based on a calculation of income and not needs based. So basically they took DH's income (which included arbitrary bonuses that may or may not come to fruition and were certainly not included in his monthly pay) and said you owe Wingut 50% PLUS the mortgage differential which was $900. he was giving her $5000 a month. If it weren't for me, he would not have been able to afford a decent 2-bd apartment. That is a LOT of incentive for BMs to NOT finalize a divorce because it is clearly more money than they get in alimony and cs, plus they can stay on the husband's health insurance. Fortunately (three years later when she finally HAD to consent to the divorce) this amount was reduced significantly. She had to move from the marital home and we can survive even though he still gives her a ridiculous amount of money each month. She had to get a job for benefits. Makes me feel better that she actually HAS to do something. I guess my issue is why prolong the inevitable? She had to move out of the house anyway, so why force dh to allow her to stay for so long? Why pay alimony for 4 more years when after that ends, she'll be no better able to take care of herself and sd? All alimony is doing is delaying her need to live within HER means.

Selkie's picture

This is why, as a single mother, I hauled ass back to school and lived on student loans for two years so I could get enough education to find a good enough job to support us. I received no alimony and no child support. My education allowed me to develop a great career and I paid for child care until the kid was old enough to be home alone.

I agree with Robert Heinlein: TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

jenjen's picture

Dido.

And another thing. The BMs that cheat or are the cause of the end the marriage and WERE SAHMs, need to realize that the moment that they CHOSE to end the marriage they also chose to become a working mom. They chose to leave and become a 50/50 partner in financially raising the children.

Now, if man cheats/chooses to end marriage and there was a sahm situ, then I can see alamony, but even then only for 4 years TOPS so that they have the opportunity to go back to school, get a degree, and by then even if there was a baby, the kids are all at least in half day school.

(Of course the situ can be gender reversed, I dont care what direction it is)

LMR120's picture

Same here. I got a good job and only get $150 a month from ex for BD daycare and thats all i need. I have two feet and can stand on them with the best of them.

DISbelief's picture

Amen sista sista!!

DISbelief~

~You have to BE crazy to UNDERSTAND crazy!~ Wink

Elizabeth's picture

Yes, BM should work. It's great that she was able to stay at home "while she was married," but things change now that she's no longer married. Our BM was weird in that for a while DH was a stay-at-home dad while she worked (he'd injured his back). When they divorced she HAD to work, and she was making as much money as DH. But once she remarried she quit working and stayed home while her husband worked two jobs! Her kids are in school, and when she went to court for CS from DH she told the judge DH should be responsible for ALL of SD16's maintenance costs because "BM has no income." Sorry lady. You "choose" to stay at home and have no income. When you were working, you made as much as DH. Unfortunately, the courts would only allows us to impute to her income equivalent to a minimum wage job. And once she got CS, the bitc* went back to work! I'm sure making more than minimum wage! Way to play the system you raging bitc*!

gazzabicks's picture

Ok lets say the BM does decide to go to work but to do something worthwhile financially she has to employ some care to pick the kids up or even look after them during the day.

On top of the already agreed CS (based on just the general care of the children), is it right that the the DH and BM split these costs?

This means additianal income on top of the CS already agreed coming from the DH, something I am sure a lot would not be happy to pay ? Its probably cheaper for the BM to stay at home ?

soverysad's picture

In our state, dh would have to contribute to child care costs, according to their earning capacities for Wingnut to work. Wingnut would also have to pay her portion for us to employ daycare costs when we work. I'd rather pay daycare than give Wingnut the $. Does that make me a bitch? Probably, but given the emotionally abusive things she's done to this kid, the kid is better off not in her care isolated from society all day. It isn't an issue with us because I work from home and Wingnut works second shift so we don't use childcare, but we did pay our portion for summer camp last summer. I have no problem with dh paying for his kid. I DO have a problem with Wingnut getting to sit home all day while we work our butts off to support her. I also think it is a bad thing to teach a child. Wingnut didn't work for the first 3 years after dh left because dh had to keep her on his health insurance during the precedings. She used this time to coach a little kid into telling people her father hits her. She also then enrolled kid into pre-school, which we had to pay for on top of the $5000 a month we were paying her and she still didn't work. Now we pay her $900 per month (plus alimony) in CS and we have the kid 75% of the time. I fail to see how she needs $900 per month to support a kid she spends 1 full day a week with. She lets us "babysit" so she doesn't have to spend cs on a babysitter.

Every situation is different. If you want to be a stay at home mom and it works for you and your new husband. Do it, but please don't expect your ex to support you so that you can stay home and benefit your family while his family goes with out. Do you think it would be fair for me to have to go out and work 40-50 hours a week and leave MY biokids in daycare (which I would pay for) 10 hours a day so that dh can afford to support his xwife in being a stay at home mom to her kids and her new husband's kids. I think if xwife is able to stay home and save $ for new husband not sending his children to daycare, then the new husband should contribute something to the bm's kids. I just don't think any person's second family should have to struggle and suffer so the first family can have certain luxuries (extracurriculars, stay at home moms, etc.).

gazzabicks's picture

Re this comment....''Do you think it would be fair for me to have to go out and work 40-50 hours a week and leave MY biokids in daycare (which I would pay for) 10 hours a day so that dh can afford to support his xwife in being a stay at home mom to her kids and her new husband's kids''

How would he be supporting her if she doesn;t work because the new husband can afford to keep her at home?

He is only supportting the children

soverysad's picture

Like I said if "her" new husband can afford to keep her home. Fine. She should stay home, but for CS purposes she should still be assigned an earning capacity for the calculation. DH would still pay cs. I have no problem with a father supporting his kids, but the calculation shouldn't be based on his salary alone and the sahm gets to contribute zero to cs because her new husband says she could stay home.

Here is how it is calculated:

Courts say Child is entitled to 25% of total of BOTH parents combine income, so if the total income available to both households (not including new spouses) is $200, the child gets $50. If dad works and mom doesn't, you are assuming dad should contribute the entire $50. Why is that? The calculation SHOULD (and does in Pennsylvania) be dad makes $150, mom CAN (whether she chooses to or not, she is able) make $50. Child gets 25% of $200 or $50. Dad contributes his $37.50 ($150/$200 = 75% of $37.50) and mom's portion is $12.50. If she needs to get that money from her new husband then so be it. That was HIS choice when he agreed she could stay home.

You sound like you think that because the new husband lets the wife stay home that the dad should pay to fully support the child because mom has no income. That is bullshit. The kid his still her kid whether she works or not.

I'm not against child support. I am not against SAHMs. I am against SAHMs who think they have NO obligation to there children simply because they get the luxury of staying home while dad busts his ass. I don't know your situation. You're clearly trying to justify it. Maybe you're mother of the year and you spend all your time at home baking cookies and mending scraped knees. I hope you are. That makes you a good mom, but a dad's role isn't ONLY to support financially and I believe he wants shared custody and he loves his kids, he should get it. The x in my life is not spending her days at home taking care of her kid. In fact the mom in my case sees her kid Monday for 4 hours before school and from after school until bedtime (which should be 8pm but is whenever the kid passes out from exhaustion), Tues from the time she wakes up until school at noon and Saturday from 8am until Sunday at 2:45pm. She doesn't help her with her homework, never takes her outside to play, doesn't allow her to have friends over, has not involved her in a single extra-curricular activity, and feeds her pizza and cereal on those days. For all of this we pay her $900 per month. Its absurd.

LMR120's picture

Yes. In the state of Cali CS and Child care are two different things. What you pay in day care doesnt matter so short answer yes even thought your DH is paying CS the courts say he has to pay half of daycare so that both parents can work. She has to pay half to though.

DISbelief's picture

I believe they should. Even if while they were married she didn't. Circumstance change. ESPECIALLY if the kids are in school. There is no reason for BM to sit around all day and DH to slave at work to support her when the kids are not even home. Then again, I have strong opinions about people working any ways. More so in the pst 5 years since I met BM and she has been living off the system most of this time. It just gets to me.

DISbelief~

gazzabicks's picture

''' There is no reason for BM to sit around all day ''''

Oooh thats quite a strong statement !! Come on BM's (or even SM's)who don't work, do you sit around all day ?

Amazed's picture

Frizz doesn't sit around all day. She shops, she has little tea party gatherings with the neighborhood women who also have children in school all day, she supervises the cleaning job her maid is doing, she counts her money, she sits in DH's old office and cries over their wedding albums and scrapbooks that are part of her shrine,OH and she chats with strange men online until SD gets home from school THEN she'll pack SD up and ship her off to a play date or sleepover...THEN she plays bunco with the other neighborhood ladies who would rather play games with each other than go home and f**k their hardworking husbands. Smile

soverysad's picture

lol. So she makes good use of the big fat check your dh sends her? Wingnut mostly sleeps all day. I live with dh in their old house (I redid the whole place) and the neighbors here only spoke to her once or twice. She NEVER opened the blinds and NEVER went outside. Many of them don't know what she looks like and didn't know she had a child living here with her. She was here for 3 1/2 years. How sad is that? Her random conversation with the neighbor across the street was tell her to lock her kids in the house if she sees her x (my dh) because he is crazy and will harm them. She does like to go to the mall though! She has a very large collection of Waterford crystal, Lenox ornaments, and expensive shoes but a 20 year old couch!! The crystal and ornaments are in storage and the shoes? Well, she wears $250 shoes with 10 year old jeans and men's tshirts. She spends lots of money and still looks like a train wreck. I can't figure it out.

Amazed's picture

lol oh that is too funny! She's gem isn't she? lmao

DISbelief's picture

Referring to BM in MY situation. Who does not lift a finger... her house is a mess, she doesn't work, and she is lazy. Period. She and I get along... so I am not saying those things to be mean, or because I "hate her". I like her... I just think she is lazy. She knows she is lazy, hell she just texted me 5 minutes ago and told me she is going back to bed. Must be NICE!

NOW, do I think that it takes ALL day to do the job of a mom, NOPE. I don't. I think that even the mom's that DO stay home WHILE THERE KIDS ARE IN SCHOOL. (I am not talking about moms with babies who require constant care.) I work full time, have 3 kids and a husband, and I still manage to keep my house spotless at all times. Laundry done, dinner on the table at a decent hour. Homework done, showers done and everyone in bed by 830. I am no wonder woman, but I manage just fine. And I have serious cleanliness issues. My house has to be spotless ALL of the time or I kind of freak out. (OCD much!?!? Yes I know...) So a mom that has kids in school, and doesn't WORK... IMHO should be involved in other things. i.e. ROOM MOM for her kids class, maybe takes some classes at the collage, do something for the community. SOMETHING because you can't convince me that taking care of the house takes you ALL day, every day, while your kids are at school.

Close minded... maybe, harsh, probably... just what I believe.

DISbelief~

Amazed's picture

AMEN sista soulja!! AMEN!

LMR120's picture

We live the same life. Living with my BF of 5 years three kids one mine two his. Both work full time yet still manage to wrngle the kids after work do homework, make dinner, bathtime, story time, bedtime, then my homework, dishes, laundry and a whole list of others. Seems like normal life to me. I bet these BMs would break down living our lives. Smile Nothing close minded about what you said. I worked with a guy who had a stay at home wife and we all loved her. She was pretty, put together, house always clean, made him dinner ever night, brought him lunch would bake the office all kids of goodies and drop them off while visiting. I wish she would be my wife LOL!

DISbelief's picture

If I handed BM my daily "to do" list, she would need a nap after just reading it. Wink

DISbelief~

Amazed's picture

me too! I posted that one time I was so pissed bc it was a beautiful summer day and I was bustin my hump at work and having daydream/nightmares about Frizz driving to my house to lounge in my pool all day while I was gone. *shivers* that thought still disturbs me.

Oh Barbie.... that just disturbs me FOR you!! Ewwwwww...... what a thought!

Amazed's picture

Isn't it frightening? I just picture her sipping a margarita, going down the slide,EEEEEEUUUWWWW!!! icky yucky

It's just... NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NASTY NASTY NASTY!!!!!!! I may start having nightmares about that!!!! Sick me right out!

dsngrl's picture

I am still trying to wrap my head around this child support and alimony concept.. I wonder how this all came about? In the stone ages?? where all women did was cook and clean and stay home and watch kids?? that is just not the case any more.. why are we so behind the times? Honestly... hate to say it but if my DH ex ever tried to get CS from us and won, I dont think I'd stick around.. I would be damned if the money I worked hard for went to a lazy POS whore that did so much damage.. I just dont see why you guys stick around for this nonsense.. there is no way in hell anyone is going to force me to give up MY MONEY to anybody.. and if they do.. you better believe I would be OUT.

DISbelief's picture

WOOOHOOOO me too!!!

DISbelief~

soverysad's picture

It is sooo archaic and goes on the assumption that women are too frail to support themselves BUT at the same time forces second wives to bust their asses. Its absurd. I deal with it because I love my dh and he fought a good fight to give her only the minimum amount the courts would allow (he didn't just giver her what she wanted). Also, alimony will end and the day it does, I am going out and getting me a BIG FAT PRESENT to celebrate and I will be sure to show it off!!! She'll benefit from dh for a short period of time and I'll get the big prize because I get him. Plus, Wingnut still has to work and I feel much better just knowing that even though we're paying her scads of money she still has to go somewhere every day. In fact, when I lay down my pretty head at night, I think "ah, wingnut is still working right now!".

DISbelief's picture

Ok, so I wouldn't LEAVE him if we had to pay child support. We paid it for 4 years in fact. It was minimal, and that is because when DH and BM WHERE MARRIED.... SHE WORKED!!! Now that she is single... she doesn't. How does that make sense?? But I would put up a GOOD fight in order NOT to pay her! Luckily, she doesn't fight us for it. She knows she has to be responsible for herself, and that she IS capable of working... she just HASN'T in soooo long, maybe she forgot how?!?!

DISbelief~

LMR120's picture

You dont have to give up your money at all. For taxes do married filing seperate. Its your hubby that gives up his money to the old family then you make up for it (wink)

Amazed's picture

Two words: Separate Funds.

We will NOT share a bank account as long as he's paying for Frizz' ridiculous lifestyle. I'd have to smack a bitch up if I knew my money was going into her cheap kate spade knockoff purse. No thanks!

soverysad's picture

lol you'd think she'd at least by the real mccoy with all the chump change!

Amazed's picture

I know right?!! lol I like a good knock off as much as the next gal but her knock offs don't even look passable.

soon2bestepmum's picture

It depends. I'm a BM and a SAHM. My fiancee can afford for me to SAH, he has a child from a previous marriage who is here half the time also. I don't plan to be a SAHM forever, I am making plans to go back to school myself and I plan to work full time once our children are in school during the day. I don't expect my ex to pick up the slack, because I SAH. I only expect him to do his fair share financially, whether I work or not the number stays the same. My partner and I are capable of having me SAH, and covering SD's expenses.

My SO's BM, is also a SAHM... except, she only has SD half the time? She is pregnant, and I know many women quit working while pregnant but she literally quit her job the second she found out she was expecting and complains that she doesn't have any money. She expects my partner to take care of everything financially. If she and her BF decide that she needs to SAH, fine, but that means that the BF needs to contribute to supporting SD while she's in their home and help with the costs of SD's bills since BM doesn't want to work. And, I worked full time and went to school full time while pregnant with my daughter... so, uh, she can work. She has a healthy and low risk pregnancy. And if she chooses not to, my partner shouldn't be expected to cover everything because BM isn't working. It's called personal responsibility... you're responsible for half of SD's bills and the cost of raising her while she's in your home. Period.

soverysad's picture

Agreed. Its good to here your situation from both sides. I am okay with dh supporting his kid as long as Wingnut has to do the same. Wingnut quit working the second she found out she was pregnant too. Literally walked out of her job when she found out she was pregnant. She thought she'd be a SAHM forever. I guess even that wouldn't bother me if she was a GOOD SAHM and the kid benefited from it, but she doesn't cook, clean, pay with the kid, take her to the park, etc. She sleeps all day.

dsngrl's picture

soon2be - so you are a sahm and accept cs, yet, didnt you say you share 50/50 split with your EH? If it is split down the middle, why does he have to give you anything? Just askin.

soon2bestepmum's picture

I do not share 50/50 with my ex. My partner shares 50/50 with his ex wife, I have my daughter with me full time. And trust me, I go easy on him when it comes to CS. He pays $125/mo in CS if I'm lucky. So, basically we support my daughter on our own.

My post is kinda confusing... yes, I have my kid full time, my partner has his kid 50% of the time. I agree that in a 50/50 split there should be no CS, ahhh wouldn't that be nice.

dsngrl's picture

Gotya.. the only time I think CS is necessary is when one of the parents has the child full time, as in your situation.. that makes perfect sense.. 2 parents make a child, it should be their reponsibility equally, so if one parent has full custody I would think that ex would have to give you CS, i do not have a problem with that.. What really irks me is in situations where it is split 50/50.. if the child is being shared equally/taken care of equally why in the world would the other parent need to send any money? it is ludicrous. Can someone please explain to me the logic behind it?

soverysad's picture

We have 50/50 and dh is still court ordered to pay 100% of all insurance (medical / dental) and $900 per month is cs. The rationale (flawed as it is) is that the child is entitled to a certain % of both parents income. So the courts take that amount split the cost among both parents based on their respective earning capacities and then give dh "credit" for only 30% of the time (even if he has said kid 50% of the time) so that the kid can enjoy a similar lifestyle in both homes (so that one parent doesn't get to "buy" the child's affection from the other). The problem with the logic is that the parent receiving the cs often gets to "buy" the child because they're getting extra cash that they're "stealing" from the other parent. AND in our case, we babysit sd overnight when wingnut works (her choice to work second shift) so we pay the $900 AND we have full time care (22 out 30 nights)of SD. So we have to feed, clothe, bathe, and support SD when she is with us and mom uses the CS to have Christmas every Saturday. Nice, huh?

soverysad's picture

Me too. My only solace is a) she still has to work to pay for health insurance, b) alimony will soon end and she will be poor even with the large cs check (she only makes $13 an hour) and c) if she doesn't get a day shift job anytime soon we will be petitioning to modify cs.

livlaughlov's picture

Yes, they should work. Getting divorced means things change, and one of them is you and your ex have to now look after TWO households, and you cannot expect your ex husband to provide you the same lifestyle you had when his income (and/or your income) was looking after only ONE household.

It is crazy to think that the way our laws are written is that "child support is to keep the children at pre-divorce levels". After all, CP"s claim, "why should our kids have to suffer a reduced lifestyle cause we got divorced?". But in reality, if only the husband had a job in the previous household, the kids (and hence you) have to have a drop in lifestyle unless you take his WHOLE income and he lives on the streets!

And if you worked in the marriage, you have to continue to work to do your share to "keep the kids in the pre-divorce lifestyle".

In our case the ex wife worked in the marriage always. But since divorced, for 9 years, she lives off of CS and gov't hand-outs. She therefore, is "entitled" to keep their kids POOR, and not work at all, cause she can just get by without working.

They take so much money from my husband (and our kids together) that she doesn't have to work, while in the marriage she had to work to pay the bills. Go figure. Yes, get off your butts ex-wives and get a job. I thought women wanted equality, except when they don't feel like working to support their own kids, then it's the man's job to look after her.

I just lost my job and am freaking out cause I HAVE to find one ASAP since without my income, after the amount we pay her, we cannot pay our bills. Basically I work (with young toddlers) to help support her sitting on her butt with her kids in jr. high school all day.

DISbelief's picture

OMG we have the same BM!

DISbelief~

dsngrl's picture

I never thought of it that way. Because DH must pay ex CS to essentially "keep up the previous lifestyle", his own family is suffering and dropping in their lifestyle because of the money that is going to lazy BM.. Cant a lawyer plead this concept to a judge? That is infuriating to think that current family's income drops because of money that is paid to a lazy BM from a previous relationship.. now how is that fair? Seriously, and Im not even kidding you, if I had to pay that biotch one penny you better believe I would make her life a living hell. i dont see how you guys do it. You must love your husbands more than i do.. lol!

soverysad's picture

You would think you could plead this with a judge but they would likely respond with "You had this child first. He / she did not choose to have a sibling. You chose. You should not have had more children if you could not support them." Funny because in intact families no one cares how much money gets spent on the kids. No one forces parents to enroll their children in camps or sports and demand they pay for it. No one forces parents to have life insurance to take care of their offspring. Only in divorce does anyone care that kids are taken care of from a financial perspective.

soon2bestepmum's picture

Yes, it's not fun. I am full of resentment over it and my SO isn't responsible for nearly as much $ as some of these women's spouses are. It's sickening. Our small amount of CS isn't much money, but the fact that we could be paying her a lot more and the fact that this even happens makes me so angry. In a 50/50 custody split, the child's expenses such as medical/dental/vision, activities, preschool/daycare, should be split down the middle. CS should not change hands. I don't care what the law says, I think it's BS. In this case, there was no previous lifestyle. Our BM went psycho right after the baby was born, had a couple of affairs, abused my partner and walked out. The end. She shouldn't get a dime of his money.

LMR120's picture

The only time i agree with alimony (sp) is when two people that were married had kids and BOTH parties agreeied to the stay at home parent. In that case yes the working ex should help out the non working ex for a while to get on thier feet. This is not something that should happen for ever. The non working ex should start looking for a job rihgt way.

soon2bestepmum's picture

I guess what sums is up for me, is as long as the child's financial needs are being met by both parents they can do what they want. Someone on each side of the fence needs to be contributing to the child financially, and being a SAHM or SAHD should not disqualify you from your financial obligations. If you are a single mom, you should absolutely be working... and at the very least a 40/hr week minimum wage job. The money has to come from somewhere, if you're single it isn't going to come from anyone but you. I did, when I was single. Now my fiancee and I are a team, he works and I take care of our children because it is the most cost affective lifestyle for us at the moment. His income is OUR household income.

It is so unfair that a BM can just decide to be a SAHM even as a single parent, and expect her ex to support her forever. Like a dad could ever do the same thing, just say hey I quit my job because I'd like to stay with the kids all day. Gender should make no difference.

melis070179's picture

I am a BM who is a SAHM and a full time student. I worked when married to EH, I got laid off the week before marrying my DH and decided to go to school. We don't have any court orders, we just agree on an amount based on what he can afford to contribute. I do not ask for extras. At one time he was paying $800 for our son, right now he is paying $400. His income or expenses change, we adjust. If we ever get stuck to where we can't agree on an amount, we pull out the cs calculator for my state and plug in the #s. We would put in 40 hrs/week of minimum wage for me. DH and I have a child, and I stay home with him and go to school, my choice. We never really base what cs my ex pays based on my income levels, we always based it on what he could afford. If we ever absolutely cannot agree, we will get a court order, but for now he says he doesnt want one. Fine by me. We also don't have one with BM, we pay an amount we agree on. Actually, the last year or so we have had my ex pay my cs to BM directly so we really don't deal with either of them. So basically to us, me and DH pay for our 2 kids that live with us. We dont get or ask for extras with my ex, and we don't pay extras to his ex. We try not to speak to either of them!

"I child proofed my whole house, but they STILL get in!"

soverysad's picture

Sounds like you are all adults. I wish everyone could be realistic. Guess we wouldn't need family courts then!

melis070179's picture

My ex is severely against courts. He has problems with authority figures and says no one is going to tell him what he has to do LOL. I'm like whatever, as long as you pay a reasonable amount, I'm good with staying out of court. So far, its been 5 years and it works for us. Courts suck!

"I child proofed my whole house, but they STILL get in!"

soverysad's picture

DH's x LOVES to go to court. I don't know why, she has lost every single time she has taken us to court for something (9 times).

TheWife's picture

If the BM in my case was this reasonable, I would kiss her, and possibly tell DH to offer her more money for being such a saint.

~*~When you kiss ass, your breath smells like sh*t~*~

livlaughlov's picture

The thing that bugs me is that whole "first kids first" line. It is only EVER used when the ex-husband (or payor) has other children, not when the ex-wife (or CP) has another child. I look at it this way, my DH and I have 2 children, and he has 2 with his ex-wife. However, we are not allowed to bring up our kids, EVER, in relation to how much CS and "extras" he has to pay her. Even if it means a much reduced income in our household.

We are currently paying for TWO sets of braces at the same time, plus 100% of medical/dental for the kids. This adds another $450 to our bills, on-top of CS. And I just lost my job, and DH is worried about his! But their braces were a priority above our kids FOOD!

But the main issue I have is that if SHE had other children, she will undoubtably SHARE the CS income with ALL the children in her household. The housing, food, heat everything will be split between ALL the siblings and step-siblings in her household, So in reality the "first" child is getting "less" in her household, but nobody thinks about it this way.

But if DH and I tried to lower CS, even just a little, so our kids get a fairer share, the CP's argument (and the courts agree) "why should the "first" child get less cause DH decided to have more kids"? It is kinda complicated to explain, but once the concept is understood, you realize what a double standard it is for kids in the "payors" house.

In essence, new kids in the CP's house get to share in the pool of money that dad send for first kids. Kids in NCP's house are not allowed to be counted or share any portion of the money intended for the "first" kid. They get totally short-changed. Don't even get me started on how second families (and kids) get screwed over by the way taxes are calculated!!!!

soverysad's picture

I'm with you all the way on this. Second families don't matter to the courts. First wives can be sahms (even if their children are in school) and live off dh while second wife has to work long days and put infants in day care for 10 hours. This pisses me off to no end. Plus if the economy tanks (which it has) everyone suffers except x wives. They still get their alimony and cs. There income is not affected at all even though the rest of us suffer.

StepChicka's picture

It should be the choice of the x-spouse(head of household) who would be dishing out financially. If he/she wants to have the other not work--then no one can stop them. If not, then some other arrangement needs to be established for the non-worker whether its going to school or going back to work--CS/Alimony would gets factored in accordingly.

This is pretty much the case already in most states. But what should be added is the Head-of-Household can change his/her mind to decide that they know longer want to support the other financially 100%. At that point CS/Alimony should be "weaned" a certain percentage over time so all can adjust. The dependent tax right-off and head of household credit should be given to the one who agrees to supporting the other financially 100%. They should be commended for something.

I've otherthought the dickens out of this. Time for a glass of wine.

gazzabicks's picture

Maybe its me but I just don't get all this....

A woman meets a man, you fall in love, you get married, you have children. You and your family have a great lifestyle, between you, you decide that it would be nicer/better poss cheaper for the mum to stay at home to look after and bring up the children.

Then it all goes wrong, a few years later the husband decides he has met someone else and leaves you with the children. You go to court or wherever and decide on an amount that the husband should pay to look after the chidren and also the wife that has given up her job and career to care for THIER children.

Then a year or 2 or whatever further down the line the ex's new other half resents the money that their new husband has to pay his ex wife for the care of bringing up his children.

Hang on, you knew he was married when you met him, you knew what the circumstances were when you got involved.....

To all of a sudden resent this money coming from your husband to his ex to look after HIS children after you knew what you were getting into is just damn right selfish in my opinion.......

Amazed's picture

Who said the husband left for another woman leaving poor defenseless BM alone with the children? Who said these men were married when we met them???

Sorry but when I fell in love with my husband,he didn't have a posterboard stapled to his chest detailing his circumstances and how much money he paid to his ex in alimony and cs each month. Cs is necessary in most cases. MY issue is when these women get alimony.

Forgive me for saying so but you're speaking with tunnel vision. You're taking ONE "for instance" type situation and then labeling women that don't agree with you as selfish...not all of us have the situation your comment is referring to.

soverysad's picture

Not one single person on this thread said their situation fit this circumstance. Often these x wives who decided to be sahms are the ones who cheated, treated husbands badly and / or LEFT them (not in my circumstance, but in many). You are acting like the only way it works is that the wife in these situations was a happy homemaker who took care of the kids and had dinner on the table every night and was completely innocent and the husband stepped out on her for another woman and that other woman doesn't want him to own up to his responsibility. And you act like these fathers deserted their children. Most of them would love more time with their kids and these evil exes hold the kids hostage so they can squeeze as much money as they can out of the poor bastard.

NO ONE on here is saying that. My dh left his cracker jack x wife because she was emotionally and physically abusive. He put up with her crap for 20 years. He was working 70 hours a week, going to school full time and playing in bands to support her ridiculous idea of a perfect lifestyle, which included material things and had no concern for his well-being. She got pregnant after 16 years of marriage so she could "retire" and stay at home. She didn't cook or clean and she left the baby in her pajamas all day. The kid never went outside, never had playdates. Wingnut wouldn't even go to the grocery store, bank or to a doctor's appt. alone with the kid because "its too hard to do it all by myself". DH had a nervous breakdown because of all the damn pressure she put on him. He spent 7 days in the hospital and she visited him ONE time for 5 minutes because her parents forced her to do it. And then when he came home all she talked about was how HE had to make it up to HER that he got sick. He disagreed. She tried to stab him and he left.

She cost him nearly $90K in legal fees and mental health care professional costs, turned him into to Child Services with false accusations of abuse, and told his kid that "daddy doesn't love you and he beats you" for 2 long years while he fought for appropriate custodial time. And now after all her squabbling about him being a bad parent, she has us babysitting the kid on her court-ordered days and still collects a huge child support check. And guess who supported dh while all that money was going out the door to attorneys and everyone else? ME. If it weren't for ME they'd both had been screwed long ago because the house would have gone into foreclosure and they'd both have no credit. I did her a FAVOR by falling in love with dh.

SO YOU TELL ME WHY HE OWES HER A GOD DAMN THING?? She wasn't Mary Poppins scorned. She was and is an evil bitch who thinks that her wants are more important than my needs.

Maybe your circumstances involve what you thought was a perfect life and your husband was a prick. In that case, do what you need to do, but don't try to fit the rest of us into a hypocritical box just because we're helping pick up the pieces.

soverysad's picture

Evil trolls! Wingnut decided unilaterally to be a stay at home mom the second she found out she was pregnant and walked out of her job. She didn't even have the decency to ask DH's opinion. Just came home and said "I quit working" and assumed he would take care of her for the rest of her life.

StepChicka's picture

Gazzabicks, two woman dealing with the same man most always will resent each other...lol

All I'm saying is Alimony should be discussed for what it is...income. You are now employing your x-spouse. Alimony shouldn't be based on the amount of time you were married or if one spouse made oogles of money--child support is already income based alimony shouldn't be. It should be negotiated. It could go on as long as you want it to.

If, he/she is a rotten "employee" then they should be fired. In my theory he/she would get a pay-cut...a GRADUAL reduction of support over x amount of time....ie 5 years at 100% w/ 20% retrograde or whatever. She can also co-habitate with someone and still receive alimony as well. This would encourage the non-working ex to move on from the relationship. Likely, the x who's "employing" him/her at this point will want to open alimony up for negotiation but it may not stop completely depending circumstances.

I don't believe an x-spouse who AGREED to support the X would throw her under the bus for another woman. They are already a commendable sort. If a woman this man meets doesn't like it he can tell her to bugger off. And of course the non-working spouse can challenge him in court. Depending on the circumstances the courts would determine the retrograde of alimony.

My theory gives advantages to everyone. Non-workng spouse can live on it, date, fall in love and move on. He/She'd behave better if she understood that alimony isn't an automatic grant. The x who's paying should have the option to open up the agreement and renegotiate.

gazzabicks's picture

But once people (I am not just talking about you) get to know the man they have just met surely they find out his circumstances and at that stage they must be either accept these circumstances or finish it.

You can't accept his circumstances then complain about them later once you decide that you don't like it.

Everyone has a choice at some point to not get involved with someone who has children to support.

Amazed's picture

I think the chief complaint isn't about the support itself. It's how much support is being taken and not used properly by the women who are receiving it. Personally, my irritation is about the alimony but that's another thread totally! lol

Circumstances when they met the man and circumstances in the present can change. How many stories have we read about BM's getting angry the husband got remarried then taking him back to court to get more money from him and then the SM has to pitch her income in just to help pay legal expenses. I'm sure for many people, there was a set agreement and they did accept it originally as a fact of being with their man but I bet they weren't aware that their income would be spent on legal fees fighting the BM when she tried to get even more than she already was getting. THOSE are the things I see people complaining about the most and rightfully so. We start off accepting, then Bm gets vindictive and changes the game up therefore, the SM is dealing with a totally different arrangment to what she agreed to in the first place.

That doesn't make her selfish necessarily...

Selkie's picture

When FH and I met, he'd been paying child support and alimony to his ex for five years. The ex went back to school, picked up a one-year college diploma, and started working part-time. She didn't have to work full-time because she was receiving so much in support payments. Her kids at this point were 9, 11 & 13.

When FH and I got engaged, the first thing we did was get him a divorce. Then I insisted he apply to the court to stop the alimony payments. The ex had already improved her ability to work to support herself; she didn't need his support. And there was no way I was going to help him financially and combine our incomes while he was supporting another woman. So that has now ended. She cried in court when she found out he would no longer be her primary source of income.

I don't resent the amount he pays in child support. In my mind, that makes him a good father and a good provider. What I DO resent is the fact that the ex can decide her children should be entitled to school trips to Europe and expensive modelling lessons, without input from FH, and ask the court to order his percentage of the expenses.

The court did support her claim for trips to Europe; last year we forked out $4000 extra to send the two oldest. In another year, the third skid will go as well. In an intact family, both parents would discuss their finances and decide whether expensive trips were economically feasible. The way things are now, BM can decide on her own and force him to pay out money he doesn't have.

Yes, I knew the circumstances when I met him. Then I changed what circumstances I could for my own peace of mind and his own financial stability. I'm counting down the days until he is no longer forced to pay out the teeth for extras.

Damn right she should work. There's no reason why she shouldn't work to support her own children and the entitled lifestyle she has created for them.

soverysad's picture

And Gazza knew what he was getting into as well. When someone has kids (mother or father, custodial or non-custodial) they have a FINANCIAL obligation to those kids. When you told her she could stay at home, you agreed to take on her obligation for those children.

gazzabicks's picture

Another confused question I have is surely the courts won't ask any DH to pay more than he can afford to look after his children and if he can his ex-wife (coz she gave up work and is now pretty much unemployable unless at rubbish wages) ???

Selkie's picture

In our case, the courts have ordered FH to pay so much in child support and extra expenses that he would not be able to support himself if he didn't have my income. He would be reduced to renting a basement apartment with a t.v. and a lawn chair for furnishings. The sad thing is, the court would then turn around and tell him he couldn't have visitation with his kids in his basement apartment because he wouldn't be able to afford bedrooms for them.

Courts where we live don't give a rat's ass how much the father has left over after paying for his children.

Amazed's picture

The courts tend to not take into consideration that some Dh's incomes can't support two homes. Not only does he have to provide for the children when they're at HIS house but he also has to provide for them while they're at BM's house...so he's paying twice to support his kids especially if the custody split is closer to 50/50 than just EOW visits. honestly, I think when a woman chooses to be a SAHM she should also consider getting a secondary education to plan for her future...what if her husband became ill and couldn't work?? She'd have to come up with a plan then as well because he wouldn't be able to carry her and the family financially any longer. This is not the 1950's...ALL women should educate themselves whether they stay at home or not so they can support their lives without help from an ex. She isn't the only one with responsibilities and children...he has responsibilities as well and he has to take care of the children too just like her.

In my situation...My ex would have to take a second job just to pay cs to me AND pay his own mortgage and life expenses which means he wouldn't be able to see our son at all bc he'd be working to pay me.
My husband has to moonlight 2x a week at another practice just to give that check to BM for her 10k alimony/cs combo happy meal. And BM has an education and a professional license with the potential to make a nice living for herself...but she'd rather have ex's bank account support her.

I get the second job thing..... DH and I have a small business we run to help afford the lifestyle we want the kids to have. BM had the nerve to hint at wondering how much income DH made from the business because it should be factored into his CS. For one, the business actually loses money on taxes because of the maintenance and depreciation of equipment, and for another if she tried to take part of that as CS, we would be forced to either sell the business or quit doing as much for SDs and she would never make up the difference to them so she would only be seriously hurting their lifestyle. I keep thinking surely she would never hurt them like that, but you never know.

StepChicka's picture

JadedBarbie, for this very reason and situation you're dealing with alimony should be up for negotiation anytime. I'm sure if your DH had the right to interpret alimony for BM when divorced he probably would have said no or I'll give you $$$ for x amount of years until SD is x amount of years old. But courts lock it in..probably because it causes so much hellfire that they don't want to be bothered with it. That's not justice in my opinion.

Amazed's picture

lol...oh Chicka baby you gave me such a good chuckle with "alimony should be up for negotiation" oh that would be HEAVENLY!

Dh is basically being forced to continue being a practicing doctor even though he'd like to downsize and begin doing charity work like fixing cleft palates and teaching at the university BUT since the alimony he is forced to pay Frizz can't be adjusted or negotiated, he has to continue busting his balls to pay it and can't cut down his hours to donate his time or teach and IF he doesn't pay the full amount he can be sued by Frizz. Crazy isn't it? And we all thought being forced to work was a violation of human rights.

StepChicka's picture

Yes you are so right on about human rights. Throw in being FORCED to pay for someone you didn't bring into the world and its a form of socialism.

soverysad's picture

Surely the courts would do such a thing is some cases. The courts do not take into consideration MANY things when doing the calculation.
1. They don't include any retirement savings that dh puts away so we aren't in the street down the road
2. they assume his earning capacity stays the same, so any "subjective" bonuses he may have got last year are included in the calculation. there are TWO major problems with this, a) he may not get a bonus due to a downturn in the economy, which is exactly what we're dealing with right now. Wingnut and SD benefited from $20000 of money we're never going to see. They don't HAVE to live in the real world where sometimes shit happens. Their pay stays the same. and b) even if we got that bonus we get it in a lump sum, but Wingnut and SD get it spread throughout the year so it creates a cash flow problem (i.e., wingnut gets cs = 30% of $20000 or $6000 spread over 12 months or $500 per month) so we have to live on $500 less money every month.
3. The calculation doesn't take into account that dh pays for ALL medical and dental insurance premiums and all co-pays since Wingnut is forbidden by court order from taking SD to the pediatrician.
4. DH's expenses aren't considered in the calculation, so if we have a broken furnace, a new car (or an old car that needs repairs), or a sick child, or hospital bills (I had $3000 in hospital bills last year), increase in real estate taxes

livlaughlov's picture

It is really annoying (to put it mildly) when the ex wives rebute every issue with "well you knew what you were getting into, too bad".

First of all, you knew what you were getting into when you divorced, you knew you'd now have 2 households to support. Do you really think your kids (and hence you) deserve to live "in the same manner you did while married, and not work? This is NOT possible, unless you take 100% of ex-husbands salary. So, they take up to 1/2 his salary, don't work, have a lower lifestyle and complain about how single moms are the most poverty sticken groups out there. Well DUH, if you don't work, you generally are poor, even if you get hand-outs from the ex.

My next point is this assumption that us new wives stole the DH and now resent the money paid, and "didn't we know what we were getting into??!!!"
70% of divorces are initiated by women, not men, as they know they usually get the kids, house and support money. Fathers don't want to divorce, no matter how crappy their marriage, because they have to fight like hell, just to keep on being fathers!! (How would women like it if they were relagated to EOW most of the time.)

ANd circumstances change for us new wives. When I met my DH (she was long gone by then BTW) he paid $500/month. After we got together, she took him back to court, and quit her job and moved accross the country with his kids. We now pay $1000/month CS, $500/month "extras" and $3600/year in access costs!! This all happened right when I went on maternity leave and didn't have an income.

Oh, not to mention the legal fees, with her free lawyer she claimed he was hiding money and all sorts of crap and we had to pay a $300/hour lawyer to defend false accusations!!!

She also tried to extorht $20,000 from him, saying how "hard it was being a single mom, and he owed her more". Holy selfishness! She took his kids away, makes him pay 1/2 his income, then complains about having the PRIVILEDGE of raising their kids daily.

And how many of us new wives see our DH taxes before we are actually married and really understand the full implications of the money drain in the NCP house. That WE pay tax on the money, but get ZERO credits or child benefits for supporting the children. It is crazy and I sure didn't know that CS was taxable income, so really if you pay $1000/month in CS you have to make $1350 or so.

Anyway, the list goes on and on. I say, if the ex-wife says "you knew what you were getting into, stop complaining" then say "you knew what you were getting into when divorcing. What gives you the "entitlement" to be divorced physically, but still married FINANCIALLY, to MY HUSBAND?"

Milomom's picture

Thank you livlaugh! You said everything tht I would've said...but with more patience and grace than I would have.

PLEASE, ladies - lets call this CS conundrum what it is! Legalized embezzlement!! Oh, don't get me started.

It's amazing that for so many years, we hard-working, determined women have fought so hard for EQUALITY and CHANGE. For years, women like our own mothers and grandmothers have fought for things like EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK and are determined to "break the glass ceiling" that was created by men in years past. So women have fought so hard for so many years just to be treated equally. Then at the same time, some women (BM's) want to be able to say "but he has to still support me because poor me, I've never worked before...and I don't know how to...and I need help because I can't do it myself...I don't know how...I can't".

It saddens me...no, it actually disgusts me...when women like these BM's take all of that hard work and turn women into hypocrites. These BM's just basically use their children as ATM cards and their ex-husbands as the ATM machine...bilking these men of more and more money and not going out and earning it themselves.

GET OUT THERE, LADIES (BM'S) AND GET TO WORK AND EARN YOUR OWN MONEY TO SUPPORT YOURSELF!! Where is your pride? Your self worth? How can you look yourself in the mirror and smile when you see someone intentionally dependent upon someone else to support you? If you are not out there EARNING what you have, you'll never have the satisfaction of knowing how it feels to have EARNED IT ALL BY YOURSELF!!

The car I'm driving...I bought it
The house I live it....I bought it
The shoes I'm wearing...I bought it
'Cause I depend on...ME!!!
(OK, I admit, these lyrics were stolen from a very popular song not too many years ago by Destiny's Child, I think).