You are here

help: his ex controls the situation through the kids

chester13's picture

During the separation he lost his job and decided to pull the offer he had presented his then wife off the table since he was making more money then he thought he would be making at another job. He then went on for a year and half of not finding a job. So he did not move forward with the divorce. During this time he sold the house that they had lived in and thought that since they had alot of money from the sale since he was now renting that he could have her agree to taking a large lump sum of money even after splitting the money from the sale and be able to move forward with the divorce without having a job. she did not take this b/c she wanted to know how much he was going to make at whatever new job he was going to find. he finally found a job and for months went back and forth on trying to come up with an agreement on the money without going to court. Everytime she would not respond and he would say he was going to file and the day he said he was going to file she would call and say "no lets work this out without going to court" and again a month or so would go by and she would do the same thing all over again.
In the meantime, I was on the sidelines waiting to more forward with him. We had waited over a year for me to meet the girls. It was tough to date him when he didn't have much freetime and i was not involved with the girls but it was for the best. Now I am very involved with the kids and spend as much time with them as possible. But I am still not allowed to go to any events, games, birthday parties where the mom might come. I can't even be in the car when he picks them up and drops them off b/c the girls know that their mom will flip out. My BF says it's for the kids b/c she takes it out on them. If she gets upset she will go weeks without seeing them and makes it known what she is upset about. He says this will all change once the divorce is final. I will not move in with him until the divorce is final so that is another thing that would be a big adjustment for the girls.
He has asked their mother multiple times to meet me and she refuses and calls me all sorts of names and threatens that she "doesn't know what she will do if she ever sees me". This has made moving forward very difficult and caused many issues with me and my BF. I feel like he doesn't take my feelings into account and uses the "its best for the kids" to not upset the mother. So i can be as mothering as I can be and as soon as she decides she wants to show up I have to sit out.
I am so scared that she is going to be a constant battle for us moving forward that it gives me pause moving forward with him. He doesn't want to upset her b/c the girls get hurt in the process when she doesn't see them. I want to protect the girls but at the same time.. when do my feelings come into play?

This weekend is his 9 year old birthday. She asked me to plan the party and help her come up with cool ideas. I did and was so happy to be a part of it. Then I find out that the mom said she was coming (she has never stepped foot in his house) as long as i didn't and told the daughter that. She the daughter told her dad that she wants me there but knows mommy won't come if i am. So I have planned a party but i'm going to be home alone while the mom may or may not show up for her to blow out the candles and then leave. Obviously, this has caused a huge issue with my BF and I since I feel like at this point he should not let this happen. But he says its for the kids and I should understand.

Am I wrong for being upset? Is it crazy that this is still going on after 3 years? Will he actually change this once he is divorced? I love this man and his girls more than I ever imagined possible but I don't know if I can always be the one that gets hurt.

chester13's picture

She said she wanted me there but knows BM won't come if I do so BM gets her way. I was told that I could come over after the BM leaves since its a sleep over. That was just not an option for me. I am very hurt. He just told the BM that once they are divorced that I will be at everything and she just went off and hung up.

chester13's picture

Yup - no temporary orders in place and all their finances and everything is the same as if they were living together/married. The only thing that is different is they have different houses and he has the girls most of the time. When he filed she did not respond and now the divorce is a default divorce.... so just waiting for the court dates but from my understanding she has lost all ability to have a say in the proceedings since she did not respond in the months following her being served.

chester13's picture

I guess we'll see. She doesn't want the kids. It's just about money and the courts will come up with that.

chester13's picture

It is the most infuriating thing. These girls are amazing, sweet and caring. She sees them maybe once or twice a week but most of the time cancels last minute telling the girls she's sick. She has no friends and doesn't talk to her family. She hasn't had the girls one holiday in the past 3 years other than taking them on xmas one year which this year they asked to be with us this year instead which she didn't care about when the DH asked if that would be alright.

It's very sad to see the disappointment on the girls faces when she cancels.

Stormyweather's picture

This happens a lot with high conflict BM's....ours is NBPD and has abandoned her son and the other two daughters now refuse to do her bidding and see her. She is livid. Her love has always been conditional and dependent on how much they conform to her. She didn't want them living with her too...sad but she doesn't care as her BF hates her kids and dosent want her to have them so he encourages their estrangement.

chester13's picture

I can see how this looks desperate. But I am truly trying to figure out how this life looks moving forward to make sure this is what i want in life while knowing that I have put in a lot of time and effort on a man I love and 2 amazing children that I love and want to protect. I can't imagine how hard it is to have a mother that doesn't want them and they try so desperately to make her happy so that she will see them while knowing that they get their motherly love from me.

I want to make sure that I can be in this relationship and have a good, happy, healthy relationship with the DH so that these girls don't have to deal with more hurt in their life.

furkidsforme's picture

He needs to tell the BM that she is not to come over, she will not be allowed in, and if she shows up the police will be called.

My DH let this happen, and you know what I got? I got punched in the face and had my head slammed into a refrigerator.

So no.

And for the whole "you have to leave but then you may come back" bullshit??? YOU PLANNED THIS PARTY!!! This would be my hard line in the sand. Pick now, dude. Ex, or ME.

It's not "for the kids". It is for CONTROL.

Indigo's picture

Wow. Three years is a friggin' long time to live with separate households/joint family finances/no court date/no temporary orders. Three years is a long time to feel as if you have a partial relationship. It sounds as if your frustration is not really about the child's sleepover, it's more about your relationship with BF.

After the divorce what would change? Probably less than you'd like. BM/current wife will be in the picture in some format for decades. Forewarned. You're wise to consider all the angles and potential issues. Glad you posted.

Just do separate birthdays. Seems that's how many families --- divorced, separated, never-married --- instinctively act and seem to find it less stressful. Less stress for the children, too.

Stormyweather's picture

Im going on 5 years now....he is divorced but the property settlement is dragging out and the kids are being used as pawns by BM who is high conflict..but wait...I must be desperate for a man (as eluded to by Sueu2) that I guess I will just continue to stand by my man passively without any standards or boundaries....No way sister!

People on this site recommend that we live in separate households and not marry due to the conflict with BM and my SS15 being troubled as a result...we cant seem to win!! **sigh**

Indigo's picture

Stormyweather: I'm not certain how a property settlement is going on AFTER a divorce, never heard of that but perhaps where you live "divorce" means something different than I understand --- a severing of a legal relationship. Whatever. Different states, different countries and different cultures have nuances of meaning for the same words. Heck, I grew up in Africa where a woman could take the door off the rondoval to signify her "divorce" from her husband. Women traveled with doors.

Sounds as if you have "a ring and a date" as Judge Judy likes to say. Good for you.

My comment to OP was that I think dating "with intent for something more" for 3 years would be aggravating. I don't think she has a ring and a date. OP seems to be more invested in the relationship than BF. She is acting like a married SM right now while BF is "reminding" her that she is not any of those. "Don't make waves"... That stinks. OP is invested and loving to BF/SD and gets told that since BF/wife are still married, he will use her ideas to plan a nice family B-day party and she can show up later. BF = Hero. OP = ?

Yes, I am living in a separate household currently.