You are here

Sleepovers - what rules, if any, do you have ?

gazzabicks's picture

I just wondered how people handle sleepovers, especially with 16 year old girls...

Do you allow them, if not, why not?

How many do you allowto stay over at one time ?

Do you allow alcohol in their room - our teenage girl thinks we should because others do?!!

Do they have to be asleep by a certain time?

Interested to hear what people do or think ..

Thanks

PeanutandSons's picture

You can be criminally charged if you allow minors to drink on your property.

I second the opinion that you should have told SD that now there will be no sleepover. Id even go one step further and say that she is no longer allowed to go to any other kids sleep overs either. If that's what's going on at her friends houses, she doesn't need to be there.

Disneyfan's picture

Not only would I say no to her having a sleep over, I'd say no to her attending any more.

gazzabicks's picture

For the record of course we said no to allowing alcohol in her room....the teenage drinking culture here in the UK is dreadful

But we also have 2 other teenagers, what about the other questions (forgetting the alcohol one)?

gazzabicks's picture

And remember in the UK you can drink and buy alcohol at 18, not 21 like the states....below are the UK laws from the UK govt web-site...

Even though it’s not illegal to drink alcohol at home if you’re under 18, it’s healthier if you don’t. If you do want to drink, you should only do it with a parent or another responsible adult.

It is illegal to try and buy alcohol at a bar or at any shop until you reach 18. It’s also against the law for anyone to try and buy it for you.

You’re actually allowed to go into family areas of a pub from the age of 5, but only if they have a special ‘children’s certificate’. Once you reach 14, you’re allowed to go anywhere in a pub, but you won’t be able to buy any alcohol.

16 and 17-year-olds can order and drink beer, wine or cider with a meal at a restaurant or pub where food is served. You can only do this if there is an adult with you.

The police can now stop people under 18 if they think they may be carrying alcohol. If you are stopped and you're carrying alcohol, the police can confiscate it. It's also an offence to be regularly found in possession of alcohol.

dragonfly5's picture

Yes, Europe has a whole different drinking/smoking standard than the US. So lets put that aside and talk about the rest. You will need to decide what is best for your household and this subject and what laws are in your area.

Yes, I let fsd11 have sleep overs at my house. She has had as few as 2 and as many as 6. My bio has had as many as 30.

So it is what ever is manageable for you and your hubby. Mostly you because they are girls.

No bed time, but always put and early pick up on the invitation, around 10ish. If you don't they will wake up mean and ugly and you don't want teenage morning drama. Make sure you have an even number of girls, if not someone is left out and that level of drama is off the charts. There is always one mean girl, or controlling girl in the group.

Also you always have that one parent that doesn't pick up their kid and you are calling, and calling them. If they drive tell her everyone must be gone by 10 or 11.

PeanutandSons's picture

Didn't realize how different the laws /culture surrounding alcohol were in the UK. Wow.

Knowing that now, maybe I wouldn't take such a hard nosed approach then. Id probably be very clear that it will not be allowed in your home, and that you will be confirming with their friends parents that alcohol will not be served at any sleep overs she attends. Is include all teen in on this discussion.

Her question doesn't seem as bold and out of line now.

PeanutandSons's picture

My kids haven't had any sleepovers yet. But when I was younger, it was usually one or maybe two friends that stayed over. The only time it was a bigger group was for our birthdays, thenvit was maybe 6 or 8. But for just a regular sleepover it was usually just one or two friends. We would get to stay up late and the hosting parent usually just bought p,izza and sodas and left us alone.

alwaysanxious's picture

At 16 with a sleepover I did not have a bedtime. As long as we didn't bother the grown ups we were ok. Alcohol? Um yeah that little girl needs to be schooled real quick. No alcohol isn't allowed. Somebody needs a dose of reality in that house=SD16. For even suggesting something so ridiculous.

Tartsy's picture

Do you allow them, if not, why not?

In my opinion 16 is getting a bit old to have sleepovers; however, on special occasions I would allow it...birthdays is an example.

How many do you allowto stay over at one time ?
Only as many or as few as my brain could handle!

Do you allow alcohol in their room - our teenage girl thinks we should because others do?!!
I would not allow it in their room.

This is a difficult question. When I was 15, I spent New Years Eve at a friend's home. They had a New Years Day family dinner. We were all given champagne. I actually got a little tipsy LOL! For every special occasion from the age of 12 on, my Great Aunt and Grandmother always served a teensy bit of wine with special dinners, e.g. Thanksgiving. I also lived in the UK for some time. There, 16 is an okay age to drink. That would be comparable to 19 year olds here...at least it was at the time I lived there. It was legal to buy cigarettes at the age of 16.

I still would not "allow" it in their rooms. That is a drinking party to me.

It would also depend on the number of people. If there are a couple kids who are given a bit of wine with which to toast because you are having a birthday dinner...I see nothing wrong with it. If there are 15 kids? Ehhhh....not so much I suppose.

In other cultures, and even though I am American...it's still in my family, drinking is not seen as taboo. There can be arguments as to whether treating as such makes things worse or not. My family has no problem with letting children "taste" something. Even the small children who want to try it are allowed to dip their finger in. I promise you, most small children are repulsed by the taste of alcohol...except one of my nieces...she is scary! Biggrin

I do try to follow the law. I think letting a bunch of kids get pissed at one's house is a bad bad plan. You don't know who you are angering, nor is it respectful of others' wishes. That is more what I would consider. As you can see, you have varying opinions on underage drinking.

Do they have to be asleep by a certain time?

No way in hell could you make them be asleep by a certain time! If you plan on having a big teen sleepover, don't plan on getting much sleep

Tartsy's picture

You mean your post was directed at "the prostitute" I believe.

I do not know what you are adding to what I said, but if you read it I did say that it is not the laws in the US. I gave very specific examples of cases where it is no big deal to people and they are not out getting kids drunk. I do not allow minors to get wasted in my home. I have offered sips of wine to my son, and he is underage.

While I respected all opinions on this post, even said that I would question it based on the differing opinions here...and I would respect the parents' beliefs even if I were to consider certain circumstances...which I delineated...and did say I would never allow it in their rooms, nor would I do with a group of teens.

So whatever you beef is, it is not with my comment. If you have a personal issue, I'd also suggest you keep that to yourself or share it in PM with someone else.

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

I don't have any right now (no kids in the house)

But I can tell you what my parents rules for us was growing up--

1. Sleepover at our house only (until we reached age 18 and then we were allowed to stay out all night as long as we told them where we were/were going)--we could stay until about 2 in the morning at our friends homes but never a sleepover. Sleepover at our house only on Friday nights and Saturday nights unless it was a holiday or a vacation. Stayed up as late as we want as long as we didn't make too much noise.
2. No alcohol at our house, but if we went to a friends home and they had alcohol, my parents trusted us with our judgements. If we wanted to drink, that was fine, since they would be picking us up anyway.
3. Ended up never drinking at parties or before because at 17, my parents made me get my license and a car, so I was always designated driver (friends didn't have licenses nor cars.)

planningMyEscape's picture

Well, we don't do sleepovers here. Maybe down the road when my kids are older, but at the moment I can't handle anymore kids in my house who aren't my own, lol. If I did allow them, I'd probably limit it to 3 or 4 friends. I wouldn't allow alcohol, and I'd say they can stay up as late as they please as long as they aren't keeping everyone in the house awake.

Kes's picture

I didn't read all the responses to your question, but I will tell you my policy and why. We have a smallish 3 bedroom house. Up until a couple of years ago, we allowed sleepovers, but SD15 had one at New Year, and she and her little friend (then 13) were sleeping in our living room. THey somehow got hold off illicit alcohol and puked all over the carpet. My mother also happened to be dying in the nursing home that week, so I wasn't terribly impressed with their behaviour.

Since then, I am very reluctant to allow any sleepovers. I used to with my bio daughters, but they were not too badly behaved, and anyway, sleepovers shouldn't be still happening at 16, IMO, they are for younger kids. I occasionally give in to a sleepover, but it is only one friend, and they have to stay in SD15's room. SD16 virtually never asks. I just find it too stressful.

hbell0428's picture

We base how much the kids do on how good they were that week...attitudes, grades, etc......DH doesn't like any of BD friends but loves SD'S.......go figure. He lets SD have as many as she wants in the end. I don't really mind it; weekends are for having fun - good, clean fun.....no drinking!! (It is every where though) no way! A lot of sleepovers, like every single weekend does get a little over the top. BD typically stays at peoples houses - I don't blame her. SD and her friends are sort of annoying.

liks's picture

Im against kids drinking....bc the statistics show that parents who give their underage kids liquor end up with kids that are alcoholics...A senior high court judge told me this...

2nd reason to not give kids drink

It kills the braincells in their developing brain and will affect the way their brains grow....therefore, they can turn out always looking and acting a bit drunk for the rest of their lives...go to any aboriginal reserve to see these very real affects.

3rd reason...

Have you been around kids that drink? These days they go absolutely crazy and you will not be able to control one drunken child...let alone 2 or 3....they throw up, they become loud, start hitting each other, having sex with each other, run off to other places, break things, as their maturity is not there, neither is an adults...but kids on drink...geez...dont go there....

you may have had slushies back in the old day....these days they sneak into pill parties....they dont need drink....or youll be dealing with a mess you really wish you didnt have to clean up....

shakatoah's picture

Unbelievable what kids expect these days...or to be more specific, what SOME kids expect. Kids who expect to be supplied alcohol in their rooms have no boundaries. I know because I'm living with boundary-less step-children. The sixteen year old recently spent a night with her 80 year old grandfather, a wonderful man, and proceeded to drink her way through his cask of wine in the middle of the night. She vomited from one end of his rented house to the other, and poor old granddad was up at 2.00am cleaning it up. For shame.

She was given a sound 'talking to' by her father, who simply talks to her way too much but has never applied appropriate logical and natural consequences. As a result, all she hears is, 'Blah, blah, blah'...sheds a few crocodile tears and goes on her merry way, having learnt nothing.

Her latest demand is that she be allowed to have her boyfriend over at our house so she gets the chance to 'do it', (her words, not mine...I was shocked), and she purposely came to me to try to get me on side after she'd had a 'no' from her father. I asked her to let me think things through and I'd speak to her the next day (so I could have enough private time with her dad to ensure we were united in our stand). However, she began to 'railroad' us while I was serving up dinner, becoming angry, extremely nasty and abusive. This, of course, was directed at me. I tried so hard to keep calm and outlined some very good reasons why I wasn't in favour of the idea. The abuse continued. I still feel shattered.

Her father took her for a long, loving walk today to have another 'talk' with her. Still no consequences. No wonder she can manipulate him the way she does. And he didn't remonstrate with her for the incredible disrespect she showed me, even when I managed to keep my own temper under control. So disappointed. He just believes every little 'promise' all over again.

But you know, I've hijacked your thread. So sorry. Good luck with setting boundaries and limits in your own situation...and know that there are others like me who understand and empathize bigtime!

thefunmommy's picture

My parent's attitude as far as drinking went was it's fine to have a taste of whatever. We also had "slushies" at our extended-family Chrsistmas get togethers. They were age-appropriately diluted. My mom would have the occasional glass of wine at dinner, my dad would have a beer after work. As I got older (late teens) my dad would tell me that he felt he would be hypocritical to tell me not to drink as he was drinking at 16. He always told me to be careful, moderation, that sort of thing. I believe my parents' "casual" attitude towards drinking led me to not be all that interested in it. I have never been one to over-indulge. I did once and didn't like the "floaty" feeling in my head. I'll have a drink or two here and there, maybe a few on a night out, but I always know what my limit is and when it's approaching.
As far as sleepovers go, my parents were very casual toward that too, particularly as I got older. When I had them, I'd have a few girlfriends over, probably 3-5ish, but no more. We didn't have the space. We would watch movies, have pizza, stay up late. Sometimes we'd make cookies, or other snacks.
As I hit teens, my parents would actually let me stay at my guy friends' houses. With other girls and other guys. They made sure they had met everyone in attendance, as well as all parents. But we were also good kids, no drinking, drugs, any other kind of trouble, good grades, responsible, all that. But that was just my situation, with the friends/friends' parents that were involved.

liks's picture

you know what.....I just realised why I drank so much when I was a kid.....(behind mums back)

its because my dad died when I was young and that rocked my inner soul so, you tend to go through the teenage years feeling like you wanna block stuff out.

anyway....if you are on this site you have skids or biokids who have had their inner soul rocked too...

these skids/kids got to be brought up in a house where mom and dad hated each other/fought with each other/divorced each other and still fight...

them skids will need an out and drugs and alcohol may be what they choose.....kids who live with mom and dad and havnt had the same BS happen in their lives can have a taste of alcohol and then they can leave it...as they dont have the same 'i wanna forget how horrible life is for an hour or two' feelings....

so in conclusion:

BE CAREFUL....you never know what them kids your responsible for have been through and how strong the need to forget is going to surface.