You are here

StepDaughter 14 told me to ''shut up you faggot'' - how would you deal with that

gazzabicks's picture

To say I am annoyed is an understatement.

All because I was stepping in to stop a fight between her and 11 year old sister who she had locked out of the house because she had not shut the Fridge (yep, thats right, the fridge - pathetic.

I told her to grow up and that is how she responded - I was at the top of the stairs when she said it.

How would you deal with that?

VioletsareBlue's picture

AGREE!

alwaysanxious's picture

It really should have been handled in the moment, by you. I would not go to spouse about this as I'm sure nothing will be done since you are here on this board.

Disengage for now. The very next time it happens, I would do the following

Get right in her face and calmly but strongly say
"You will NOT speak to me like that in MY house. Make no mistake, I run this shit. The very next time you disrespect me like that, you will no longer be welcome here. Don't think for one second you will be saved by your parent. Remember, MY HOUSE. Now get out of my presence and stay away from me"

Yes I have this memorized for my own purposes.

gazzabicks's picture

Well I am going to totally disengage and do absolutely nothing for her.

As for kicking her butt.....that's exactly what I would have loved to have done big time but the consequences with her mum and the DH would not have been worth it.

She will suffer in the long run when she needs me for things (especially as her father lives abroad).

alwaysanxious's picture

It would have sooooo been worth it.

I agree with you though she will suffer in the long run and its not your problem, because she's not your child. Let DH and her mother handle everything for her. You have lots of other things to do.

Kilgore SMom's picture

Does SD live with ya'll full time. Because if she was over just for the weekend I would load her ass in the car and take her home. If she lives with you full time. I would march my butt into to her room and start taking all the electronics out of there and tell her she can sit in there till DH gets home.
Tell her what Alwaysanxiouse said,

You will NOT speak to me like that in MY house. Make no mistake, I run this shit. The very next time you disrespect me like that, you will no longer be welcome here. Don't think for one second you will be saved by your parent. Remember, MY HOUSE. Now get out of my presence and stay away from me"

Then let DH handle it from there. Tell him that you will not for any reason put up with SD back talking you in your home period.

hismineandours's picture

I think I might be tempted to say something along the lines of, "Fuck you, you nasty little bitch". But then again I'm in a bad mood today.

jadedprincess's picture

I would have popped her in the mouth took away everything that she holds dear and made her sit in a chair in the most boring room in the house and stare at a wall with nothing on it for hours... after i told her what AA said. If SO had a problem with it i would probably leave there is NO WAY IN HELL a kid is going to talk to me like that!!

duct_tape's picture

Honestly, we would all love to "pop her in the mouth" But you just can't in the real world. She would have your ass landed in jail for assault so fast your head would spin.

Alwaysanxious has the best advise. Use words to make her head spin and cut her off. Parents of badly behaved children often have such a lowered standard of behavior, that they will reinstate priviledges after a kid just has one good hour. Hold out long and hard.

The cell phone service is the very first line of defense I use when my kids piss me off. Usually, it's if they don't answer their phone or call me back within five minutes. Nothing gets their attention like cutting the phone.

If her mom has allowed her to behave like this, disengaging from her mom may work wonders too. Behavior like this doesn't develop overnight.

jadedprincess's picture

i would go to jail plain and simple. little brat needs to be shocked sensless. she just best be glad she doesnt live in one of those countries that would cut out the tongue for something like that

alwaysanxious's picture

"Parents of badly behaved children often have such a lowered standard of behavior, that they will reinstate priviledges after a kid just has one good hour."

THIS is why some step parents need to handle the skid themselves. You can walk all over your bio parent and bash them all you want. Guess what, I'm not your bio parent, I'm the real world.

Nicoli's picture

AGREED! That is me and my role in my situation. I had both SS and DH upset at me and now DH has credited me with SS turn in behavior. He has been F/T since 7, now 14. I just has to tolerate DH's whinning. But, it was ALMOST not worth it.

gladtheyrenotmine's picture

Is it wrong that I sometimes wish my SD13 or SS11 would say something like that (although I'm sure it won't be long with SD13), just so I could justify throwing their asses out to live with their BF permanently?

That would have been my reaction, but sounds like the BF abroad makes that not possible. Good luck with the little bitch.

gazzabicks's picture

Thanks everyone for their thoughts...I think we all know its a tough one when you love your partner so much but can't stand their kids !!!

godess-clueless's picture

If this smart mouth kid was visiting----returned to her home immediately. No return with out an appology.

midnyt's picture

I would probably have looked her in the eye and said in a low pitched strong tone "are you talking to me?" This usually works on my kids when they are being mouthy and they usually say no to which i reply in a menacing tone "you better not have been" in the event that your SD had said yes I would have asked if she knew what a faggot was, correct me if i'm wrong but i believe the definition of a faggot is a bundle of sticks?? I realise that its also a derogatory name for gay man, however, i would have used the sticks to take the insult out of her comment and the wind out of her sails!

KittyKatMomma's picture

I'd smack her with my dictionary.

A faggot is a pile of sticks.

Tell her if she's going to insult you to at least do it right

Rhiannon's picture

It's best to handle things like an adult.  Give her a suitable punishment, with your spouse backing you (this is important.  Because if your spouse doesn't support you, then any punishment you dole out will be meaningless.)

kaybee82's picture

This thread is over 5 years old. Ijs

caitlinj's picture

Divorce her dad and marry someone who doesnt have bratty kids that talk and act this way.

notasm3's picture

"You just made the biggest mistake of your life.  You are going to regret that for LONG time."

And then I would make her life MISERABLE from that day on. No swear words, no physical violence, no abuse.  Just mental torture and ZERO extras.

Mommymode1985's picture

Holy shittt! My hubby would not tolerate that. If her father allows her to speak to you like that I'd leave. Unbelievable. Either way you have to make it known to her that's not how she treats YOU. If hubby isn't stepping up you need to and if he has an issue with it then I'd leave. For sure. 

Seriously7's picture

Oh h*ll no! I will not be spoken to that way in my house. Husband would have to do something and if I didn't get an acceptable to me apology either she would be gone or I would. I can put up with a lot but not that.

Rags's picture

If she had been within arms reach I likely would have backhanded her across the mouth before I even thought about it. Since she was smart enough to not pull that shit in close proximity, I would have called her to the top hte stairs, grabbed her by the hairs at the back of her neck, marched her to an isolated corner, planted her nose between the intersecting walls, swatted her on the ass, and told her that if she moved before I got tired that her life as she knows it would be over and the entire rest of her childhood would be an escalating state of abject misery.

After a few hours of holding the intersecting walls together with her nose I would introduce her to a broom closet with a very uncomfortable chair and a small writting surface where she would write 10,000 sentences or short paragraphs all in perfect hand writting, perfect spelling, perfect grammar with zero erasures or corrections.

"I am a rude, profane, ill behaved child. I will not ever curse at an adult, treat an authority figure in any way but with absolute respect, and I clearly comprehend that to do so will result in countless hours of sentence writing until I either change my behavior or turn 16, drop out of highschool or though unlikely, actually graduate from high school, and move out on my own."

180 sentences/paragraphs per  hour. Any missed hourly quotas resets every sentence written. Any instances of poor hand writing resets every sentence written. Any miss spelling resets every sentence written. Any gramatical errors resets every sentence written. She writes every free second she has from school or family activities.  Don't punnish yourself or the rest of the family as she works through the sentences.

That little girl should rue the day she let her mouth over ride her brain.

I cannot even fathom the hell that that kind of laps in respect towards my parents, or my father's wife, or mother's husband,  would have unleased on me as a kid.

Shudder.

IDontCare3117's picture

Aside from the fact this is a zombie post, and you seem to love those, your "advice" is physically and psychologically abusive.  That's your MO.  

Rags's picture

When you can deliver centuries of proven results for your parenting philosphies, then I will give your perpsective some credence.

Until then.... meh.

As for a zombie post.... do you have an app you can share that flags zombie posts Vs legit posts?