You are here

Question about kids and social media?

Disneylover2000's picture

I understand every kid is different BUT generally what age do kids take a Interest in having a Social media page(Facebook, tic tok, Instagram)?

lieutenant_dad's picture

I'd say whenever they get exposed to social media. If you let kids follow YouTubers who have IG accounts, kids will want IG accounts for the extra videos, photos, etc. My guess is that 8-9 years old, when kids learn how to more independently navigate the actual internet and not just apps is probably when the want starts. The perceived "need" is likely preteen years when popularity and "clout" are apparent in school cliques.

Stepmama2321's picture

Younger than they should!

I worked in a school and knew of 2nd graders (7 year olds) who had SNAPCHAT! Also my SD8 is obsessed with TikTok, as is my niece 9. It's the new "norm". Not saying it's right.

SeeYouNever's picture

They become interested as soon as mom or family members involve them in it. Interes t increases whenever a kid gets a phone of their own.

advice.only2's picture

I think generally the age is going to be dependent on the adult who supplies them with a phone/table/computer so they can access those sites.

Dogmom1321's picture

SD was 9 when her BM got her a phone. Totally equipped with SnapChat and TikTok. DH forbids the phone from coming to our house. I showed him the inappropriate videos she was making of her cussing, dancing, etc. Not much you can do if BM allows it. 

ESMOD's picture

It's pretty young.  Social Media is pretty pervasive in our lives these days...   I don't necessarily think that some access is all bad.. but depending upon the age.. limits and parental oversight are the most important facets.

Kids can be contacted by so many people who may have bad intentions.  

I remember when my younger SD got a facebook page.. she must have been 11 or 12 (mom said ok not us). anyway.. I told her I wanted to be added.. and I noticed her friend count quickly was going up.. and included some people that looked like people she would not have known.. guys in their 20's with tattoos on their necks etc.. not exactly who you would think would be in their circle of friends and family. 

Turns out that she and a friend had a contest to see how many friends they could get.. so they friend requested everyone and everyone's friend list. so older siblings and friends of older friend's siblings were getting pulled in.  I put a stop to it.. it was super risky behavior.  I explained that only people who were school friends she knew in person and relatives should be on her list at athat age.

Rags's picture

My Skid is 28 and  has never gotten into social media. He does use dating apps and regularly does online gamming. but has nearly zero social media footprint.  He has a FB account but rarely looks at it.  Other than the occassional call or message on FB messenger he does just about nothing on social media.

ndc's picture

My OSD became interested in TikTok last year at 7.  We don't let her use it.  She hasn't expressed interest in FB, Twitter or Insta yet. Her online vice (and SD5's, too) is watching stupid YouTube videos.

Milton's picture

Children become interested in social media depending on how early their parents make smart gadgets available to them. If the minor child spends time in front of the screen, he will discover what the internet offers much earlier. I saw that children aged 7-8 abuse TikTok, Instagram, participating in life-threatening challenges. If you notice that your child is behaving suspiciously on social media and in real life, you can access <a href=https://backlightblog.com/delete-deactivate-instagram>https://backlightb....  to learn how to act.