You are here

The other side...

DaizyDuke's picture

So I came into work this morning and was chatting with a work friend of mine and told her that I saw her daughter at the store this weekend with her father and step mother (I was guessing that's who they were) I told her the crazy thing was that the step mother looks eerily like my friend! My friend said that people tell her that all the time, that some even think they could pass for twins... CREEPY!

Anyway, my friend (who really is sweet and I love her) starts in on Step mom, how she (my friend)thinks Step mom is "trying to take over her daughter" how "she writes all the checks and deducts anything they buy for daughter from the child support every week", is "pushing to get child support reduced", "controls everything" etc etc...

The whole convo was so weird, because while I've been friends with the gal for a while and know that she has an ex husband and kids, the topic of the step mom has never come up until today and it was just so strange to hear a "BM's" side of things...I just stood there like an idiot because when she was saying all of these things, all I could think was I wonder what Step mom's side of the story was...

distorted reality's picture

^^^^This^^^^

Sounds like it could be an interesting exchange and may even be benficial to both of you.

Jsmom's picture

Sounds like their is a lot more to the story. The least you could do is tell her they don't have the right to make the deductions from the CS. They could just stop buying things if they want, but they can't just decide to take away the money. Not without going to court.

DaizyDuke's picture

That was her complaint... that Step mom can't just arbitrarily reduce child support payments because she feels entitled for something that they paid for. She also said that I guess they have a 60/40 arrangement (or something to that effect) and that step mom wants BM to pay child support to THEM since my friend makes more money than her exh and they have skid about 1/2 the time....

I think it will get ugly and I will be staying out of it!!! I think I happened to open a ginormous can of worms there when I made the mistake of mentioning that I saw Step mom and exH to her! Note to self to never do THAT again!

somerg's picture

as always, there are 3 sides to EVERY story, his, her's and THE TRUTH. each party will ALWAYS make themselve's look better with THEIR story, as true or false as it may be...inevitable.

i'd clarify with both NOW that you will not pick between friends if that is a concern of yours.

and as far as the child support, yeah my dh and i do that too, anything that is bough IF ANYTHING for the skids-needed, we deduct it from child support as well IF it goes home with skid.

however, she COULD make them still pay the full cs because if it's not paid in money form where it can be proven, if she REALLY wants to push it, she could still make them pay "arrearage"