You are here

O/T: Changing eating habits ...

Indigo's picture

Doctor suggested today that I change how we are eating. She suggested a more organic, whole food, gluten-free style of eating. She said the same thing last year. She is homeopathic, holistic type of OD. I've avoided the gluten-free craze successfully for years. Dang.

I said that I would meet with the nutritionist she works with next month, but that if there was a book or a website for me to get more information etc. So far, I've looked at 21daysugardetox.com, drhyman.com, whole30.com, paleohacks.com to name a few.

I'm game but we are all used to carb-loading when stressed and grabbing "food in a box" for meals. Me: IBS, food allergies to rice, wheat and buckwheat, menopausal, ADD, hi c-reactive protein numbers, inflammation, carrying about 30 extra pounds. SO: man-o-paused, junk food addict, about 15 lbs extra. BS-13: low BMI, low appetitie, strong ADHD, multiple LD, wants to eat like other kids; SGD-12: morbidly obese, eating disorder, visitation only. My mom ... will eat whatever I make and take over for her.

Does anyone have personal experience with this style of "diet?"

Thanks
ยป

Indigo's picture

Sounds yummy, but it also sounds like cooking. I have managed to go most of my life not really cooking much ... Do you make up your own recipes or modify ones you find in books :? ?

Indigo's picture

I've been more of a tomboy and avoided the kitchen for most of my life. I'm slowly learning.

I like your perspective on cooking. I may try to keep that closer to the forefront of my mind to counteract the decades of kitchen avoidance.

notasm3's picture

I agree with the being creative part. And a lot of "cooking" is really just chopping and stirring.

notasm3's picture

I would suggest a more gradual approach than jumping into a food life style that requires you to jump thru hoops. If it's too hard you are unlikely to follow through.

First step would be to stop eating anything that comes in a box or pre-made wrapped in cellophane. Processed food - even the organic processed food at Whole Foods is not as good as real food made from scratch.

I buy organic milk (my DH says it tastes better), but I don't go out of my way to buy all organic produce. Fresh produce that you wash and peel is going to be pretty healthy anyway.

A recipe site that I like is http://allrecipes.com/. They also have a lot of videos on some really basic things - like how to boil eggs.

Experiment a little and find things that taste good to you. I happen to like things like capers, feta cheese, lemons, olives, etc so I look for recipes with seasonings like that. It's also extremely easy to grow herbs. All you need is a pot and a window. I grow basil, dill, parsley and oregano - they are better fresh and I never have to make a grocery store trip.

Keep some frozen vegetables on hand. And yes even a few canned things like beans. I'll make a taco salad and throw in some black beans (canned) and corn (frozen). It's easy and it tastes good. Meat is optional. The corn chips are gluten free.

Find out if there are raw vegetables that you really like. My DH and I both love radishes and green pepper strips and cucumbers. My dog loves carrots!

robin333's picture

I need to try your hummus! Do you just substitute northern beans instead of chickpeas or do you make other adjustments with your hummus recipe?

Calypso1977's picture

i know many who have felt better going gluten free.

i personally eat mostly fruits and veggies, lean meats, things like greek yogurt. i try to avoid bread, white potatoes and pasta not because they are unhealthy per se, but they make you bloat (think about what happens when you drop a piece of bread in the sink and it gets wet). My weakness is sweets and cheese.

i try to stick to 1400 calories per day, which if you eat the right foods is ALOT.

Indigo's picture

Thanks Calypso. I'm away from home but been doing a lot of reading up on the glutenfree, organic, healthy lo-carb, paleo ... and yes, vegan diets.

I've worked with a number of kids on the Autism Spectrum and ADHD who's folks have tried going glutenfree. Probably 1/20 reports identifiable improvements. So, I've avoided it due to costs, hassle factor etc. So, this is interesting to once more delve into ...

BethAnne's picture

I would say start small and easy with simple goals. Personally I don't buy into organic is best arguments, though the quality of any meat that you buy should be looked into.

If I were you I would look at making a couple of small changes initially and working from there.

If you don't cook at all right now, try to cook just one meal a week on an evening when you have lots of time, cook up a big portion so that there will be plenty of left overs for another night.

Try to get everyone to eat one or two extra portions of fruit of veg a day. Appeal to the family by buying unusual or in season favorites. In my house we love soft fruits in the summer, peaches, cherries, and other berries. Have fruit or vegetables ready to snack on, carrots, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, any fruit. Make it tradition that desert after dinner is a piece of fruit.

Then look for easy substitutes. What are your favorite snacks or easy meals, what can you easily buy or make to improve the nutritional content of them or reduce the calories? When buying snacks look at the nutritional content, look at the portion sizes. Sometimes we have to forgo the bargain of the large size bag in the knowledge that we would over eat (I can't resist anything once it is open) and pay more for smaller package that will give us what we crave in a more reasonable portion.

Buy the pre-made salad, the pre-cut veg, the frozen vegetables, make life easy for yourself. As time goes on you can do and make those things yourself but to start with try them out.

Talk about food and nutrition with the family at dinner times, look up what nutrients are in each meal and how they help the body, the children might not appreciate it now but educating them on these now will be great for their future when they take control of their own nutrition.

If you're unsure in the kitchen, look at cooking classes near you. Maybe you can get others in the family to join you? You will soon realize as others have said, that it is easier than it might first appear. Oh and adopt a favorite tv chef and watch their shows. There is nothing like increasing the desire for yummy home cooked food than watching cookery shows and then trying to recreate the recipes at home!