You are here

Social class? Social strata?

Indigo's picture

Open for discussion here since this is something that I am wrestling with ...

Are you aware of a social class differentiation in your daily life as a parent/step-parent/step-grandparent? (No better description for the issue.)

I find myself running into this all the friggin' time and smack my forehead for being an arrogant, self-righteous woman. I run into my own predujice. There is a clear subtle understanding of everyone's place it seems: the gutter-trash, the trailor-trash, the working poor, the middle-class poor, the suddenly rich, the old money ...

I was not raised in the welfare culture. I was not raised in a drug culture. I was raised by college grads and we lived right above the poverty line for a family of 6. In the 1970's, my father had a PhD in International Affairs, couldn't find work and became --- for a year --- the janitor of our local rich-kid high school.

In my experience, the US has less of a social strata than perhaps India or England, but it feels like there is an implied awareness. I think that all of us are aware of the "have/have-nots" demarcation.

But, how many of us are aware of the social situations which telegraph our place in the food chain. (cynical sigh) How to use the fork/knife placement correctly at a holiday dinner? Clothing? Farting and laughing in public. Silly, unimportant things for which we are all judged.

Now, I'm involved in a life situation with convicted felons, addicts, child services in and out, and I wonder WTF?

Indigo's picture

That's exactly what my mother still says. "They were just raised different."

I agree on the idea of giving folks the benefit of the doubt and there are many who have just not been taught what many of us consider basic manners & life skills.

Indigo's picture

Yeah, but I'll bet they can text faster! LOL.

Regarding the education thing, I want my BS to go to college. That said, if he shows any aptitude for a skilled job from trade school like mechanic, plumber, electrician, I'll be thrilled. He has to learn how to support himself and any lives that he chooses to add to the mix.

Indigo's picture

I looked at a Minion "Fart Machine" last week and wanted to buy it only because it made me laugh. I didn't have the funds that day and I kinda regret it.

I'm all for fun, but Dang, grown-ups flicking boogers in the line at the DMV ...

Indigo's picture

I like your "patterns of thought" concept.

I've got nothing against using social programs when in need. I applied for food stamps when BS was a year old and Ex-DH left. Didn't qualify, but I dang-sure applied for some short-term help.

I do have problems with the generational aspect of social welfare. I had a BFF in college who was from a line of welfare/SSI recipients. After dropping out & having a baby, she honestly spoke of how she was 3rd generation welfare. I lost track when she was on baby # 4 and had never held any type of job as an adult.

I have no answers which is why I am not running for political office.

Indigo's picture

I lived in SE Texas in the Big Piney area. Talk about culture shock. Complete and utter culture shock. The "normal" life there was so far beyond what I was familiar with that I kinda treated it as if I was in a foreign country.

Yes, I rode my horse down to the neighbors crawfish boil, learned to speak the 'patois,' accepted collard greens brought in by a thankful client. I actually had a job interview for a bank officer job where the president ignored my resume and wanted to talk about my knowledge of coon-huntin' and what types of walking, treeing hounds were best. Honest.

Sometimes during the last 3 years, I feel the same way -- that I'm in a foreign country.

Indigo's picture

Benghazi? Fund-raising dinners took precedence over supporting the folks whom we placed in that situation. Rightly or wrongly.

Okay, I'll not go too far down the political/ideological pathway or I may wind up getting in trouble for "inflammatory rhetoric" --- although, to be honest, Admins don't have that specified. Blum 3

misSTEP's picture

My dad was one of six boys. Very smart but no education past high school. My mom dropped out as soon as she could to take care of her original family. My dad ran his own business and my mom worked...periodically. You would think that we were at the lower end of the financial class scale.

However, I have a friend who - in her family, there were two kids and only her dad worked. He was a janitor. When I considered my family "poor", it was usually because I couldn't get something I wanted. Her family was truly poor. Growing up, I didn't even realize it much. They just lived a different lifestyle with the mom growing a garden and canning things. They just didn't have cable or go out to restaurants to eat.

Then you consider BM's family who is very rich. I am sure that led to her attitude of entitlement and thinking that she shouldn't have to actually (gasp) WORK to live. Just have two kids and let everyone else do the heavy lifting!

However my poor friend and her family have more class in their damn trailer house bathroom than BM and her family have in ALL their fancy possessions and attitudes!

AmIWicked's picture

There is an interesting aspect of this I can add.
I've seen my husband's side of the family mistreat and look down on each other for no reason other than the job that they work.

My husband's grandfather owned a rather large business. It was passed down to eldest son #1. Every other child chose a different career path. DH mom (one of the daughter's) chose to marry a farmer (my FIL is worth well over 10 million) all other children chose different white collar professions and all are VERY WELL OFF.
However, the way they treat DH and his immediate family members because they are farmers...it is outright mean and rude sometimes.
They are all multimillionaires...but because my MIL and FIL work with their hands on a farm they are looked down on, because their money is in land and cattle, not in the stockmarket, they are treated differently.