You are here

OT - activities for adults

misSTEP's picture

Anyone have any suggestions of activities for adults?

My DH has ADHD and severe social anxiety. He's also estranged from his family.

I feel like if we would get out of the house and DO something, maybe he'd have more to focus on. I also would hope that he can work on getting a handle on some of that anxiety. Maybe find a friend or two.

I just texted him to ask what he'd be interested in doing. He said camping. Well, first off, that is a pretty solitary thing to do. Secondly, it's winter in North Dakota! It will be a long time before we can (comfortably) go camping!

misSTEP's picture

There are the NDSU Bison football team. Four-peat Division I Football Championship Subdivision Smile

Of course, that season is done now. And my DH doesn't like football. ::le sigh::

classyNJ's picture

How about a comedy club? They are usually not big crowds and the lights in the audience are usually turned low so his focus would be on the comedian. I'm sorry I do not know much about ADHD so if I'm off base here please let me know.

Silent River's picture

Check with school system because sometimes they have some great Community Ed classes for adults, very inexpensive and a nice variety.

Do you have REI Co-op? They have some evening classes on outdoor stuff like camp cooking, hiking, etc. I have gone to some nice slide shows put on by people who have written adventure books.

Home Depot has seminars on Saturdays and Sundays if he likes home improvements?

Merry's picture

My DH also has adult ADHD (although undiagnosed, he's got all the symptoms and blows the top off any "test") and anxiety issues as well. Medication for the anxiety has been a lifesaver. Seriously. Doesn't make him dopey or change his personality at all, but takes the edge off. Highly recommended.

My DH likes having people come to OUR house (where he can be busy with food, making drinks, behind the bar, fiddling with the music, generally in control). But he HATES going to other people's house because he doesn't know what to DO. He needs a job. Sort of like the Australian Shepherd in my house -- give her something to DO and she's fine, otherwise she's obnoxious (and I love her). Anyway, might he enjoy having a few people over to your house?

Otherwise, what about taking a continuing education class--languages, cooking, photography, current events, some other skill or interest?

Indigo's picture

Charity/volunteer work ? It may sound odd, but there are so many people who can use a hand. Perhaps if DH "sees" people with more issues than he does ... You'll probably have to liaison the first few times to ease him into it. Soup kitchen. Big Brother. Food bank --- can focus more on stuff than on people.

I delivered Meals-On-Wheels. I was awkward, felt weird, and did it anyway. It was great. If you two can do it even once a month. The gratitude of the people you feed ... unconditional, nonjudgmental. I used to take a 50 lb sack of dog food and some cat food in my van. I found that pets in many of the Meals-on-wheels homes were happy to have an extra meal too.

How about working at an animal shelter, or large animal rescue ?

I coach a recreation league flag football team and I can always use an extra hand. Maybe there's a kid, rec league of his favorite sport?

What about a therapeutic horseback riding center volunteer? They serve kids/adults with special needs and usually desperately need volunteers. Check out the PATH International website, maybe there is a Center near you.

Habitat for Humanities ? Help to build a home. As much or as little social interaction as he'd like.

What about the programs for seniors where people gather and caulk the windows, or wash the windows or paint a hallway ... even in the winter in ND.

GhostWhoCooksDinner's picture

Martial arts! It'll help him develop focus and get out excess energy. There's nothing like kicking the crap out of a bag to relieve stress and anxiety! And he'll be surrounded by positive, encouraging people. That's probably what I like best about the school I go to- everyone boosts up and encourages everyone else, no matter their ability. Being positive and welcoming is part of the culture of most martial arts. And don't worry if he's not athletic- you don't have to be! I recommend taekwondo, but that's just me. Smile It can be pretty pricey, so shop around.