You are here

Once my fiance and I are married can I?

ReadySetNot's picture

Once my finace and I are married as the step-parent do i have the legal right to make him go back and change his child support or how does that work? He is mkaing a lot lees money now then he did before when his child support waas first done up, and his mother and his ex wife, keep telling him that he cant have it redone because of his sons lifestyle...what lifestyle do you have at the age of 8??! he currently pays 210$ a week, and we can prove that he dosnt make that much money, also would my income be a factor in the re-settling of the child support since we will be married? I live in ME.

missangie1978's picture

when it comes to SS, sorry to put it so bluntly but as his fiance and soon to be his wife if you feel strongly about it tell your DH and have hims change it. If he's making less he should be paying less but don't count on it. Sometimes courts take into consideration why DH is making less if he quit his job to take a lesser paying job they might still make him pay the current support.

ReadySetNot's picture

When we get married does my income become part of his child support??

LizzieA's picture

You have no legal obligation to that child.

missangie1978's picture

it does factor into how much of a discount/credit he gets on certain things such as how much he pays in housing, utilities etc... if you make a lot more then he doesn't get any discounts or credits.